View Full Version : MEC Tarn 2 & Scout Tarp

BromBones
03-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Curious if anyone here has had some experience with this tent. By most reviews it sounds like a good tent, little on the heavy side but otherwise decent quality.

My buddy's got one for sale, un-used, as well as a new Mec silicone scout tarp (similar to siltarp). I can take the works for $200.

Been looking to replace my tent for the mountains this season, so trying to decide if this one will fit the bill. The price is certainly right.

Thanks for any info.

spear
03-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I have two of those tents, both for sale as well, one is older with new poles/shock cord.
Great Tent, not too heavy, very weatherproof and solid floor.
Not an ultralight tent but extremely good for the price.

Slee
03-27-2011, 10:23 AM
I have had a Tarn 2 for 10 years. Great tent. Awesome in bad weather and handles the wind really well. I would buy one again if this one ever wears out.

Cbuck
03-29-2011, 09:03 AM
I have the Tarn 2 as well. Great tent good solid 3 season tent that would hold up to some pretty heavy winter conditions as well. Vents really well with = less condensation / moisture inside. Never gotten wet during rain either.

troutseeker
03-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Pretty decent tent and with the tarp a deal that's hard to pass up! Get it and be set for pack hunting!

BromBones
03-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Picked it up yesterday, $170 for the tent, footprint, and tarp, all new. :) Poor bugger just got married and it seems his hobbies have been altered somewhat.

Normally I wouldn't approve of a friend marrying a gal who keeps him on a tight leash, but if he's selling gear for that cheap, who am I to judge? ;)

Rectifier
03-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Sweet deal! I have a Tarn 3, a little more roomy but a bit bulky to pack. Got it because I wanted space for me and the wife without touching drippy walls in coastal weather. The walls don't really drip at all though.

I often wish I'd got a Tarn 2 instead (usually while breaking camp and trying to stow it in my pack)

BCrams
03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Tarn II is a good little tent thats been around for quite a few years. Hunted sheep with it in all months up north August through October.