PDA

View Full Version : How about an Old School Archery Division in 3D?

Barry O'Regan
03-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Automakers have classic car touring classes, showing the best technology of that long ago era.

Bow Manufacturers put a lot of time, money and effort to get us to where we are now. Lest we not forget the original old school technology of premium craftsmanship and North American know how of old that got us to where we are today, with 350+ fps speeds.

I think it would be a great idea in 3D shoots to have an old school division for pre 1980 compound bows like Hoyt, Martin, Pearson, Bear, PSE, Oneida etc before the advent of fast flite string and super lite carbons.

While wood and glass limbs with metal cables were bulky and slowed down the arrow, you couldn't get a quieter, accurate 200 fps bow.

Perhaps a boon to archery manufacturers and their technical skills in following Allen and his first 1960s compound bow.

I still have my 1982 Martin Cougar Magnum I shoot as a finger shooter at least once a month and everyone notices how whisper quiet it is, and accurate, granted the 500 grain arrow helps, as a lite carbon arrow would grenade the bow.

How many of us still have our old school bows hanging on the wall unused, I think it's time to dust em off, tune em up and use them as they were intended... to shoot!

So what do you all think? Should a division of Old School Bows have their own place, with aluminum arrows, pre 1980 bows, metal cables and all?

Old timers will reminisce and newer archers would be surprised by these slower bows accuracy and excellent workmanship.

How many of us still enjoy shooting our old school technology?

Guaranteed it would separate the men from the boys when it comes to determining yardage, as anyone know from Old School flatter trajectories were non existent when compared to bows of today.

Sometimes new technology may be better, but old school can be more fun.

Anyway, I'm just throwing this idea out there!

Hoyt ProElite 3000X 08-Hoyt ProElite 2000X 08 C2 Cam, Victory Arrows
1982 Martin Cougar Magnum
Posten Stabs 2008
Hephaestus Stabs 2010
Bohning Archery-Bohning Staff Shooter

Bow Walker
03-27-2011, 09:44 AM
That sounds like a helluva good idea. Maybe it'll catch on. There must be some bows in the 20-year-old-or-older range kicking around. Sometimes one or two show up in the For Sale forums.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-27-2011, 11:00 AM
In jest ...........you want old school??? ... then shoot Trad..... 20 plus years ago the diehard stick shooters were saying the exact same thing you are ...
compound is a game of technology .... either keep up or get outta the way ;)

willyqbc
03-27-2011, 05:39 PM
While an interesting and novel concept, I highly doubt it would ever happen for a few simple reasons. 1st - Bows that are 30+ years old and have been hanging on the wall for years are most likely gonna need a bit of work to get them up and running safely. I would be very surprised if you could even find strings or steel cables for these old bows anymore let alone if your classic stick chucker needs parts like limbs or cams. 2nd - i've been around this game for about a decade now and can't recall ever hearing someone declare that they wish they still had that old, heavy, slow bow with less let-off!! Interesting thought....just can't see a whole lot of interest out there for it.

just my opinion
Chris

Ruger4
03-27-2011, 05:54 PM
I too would have to agree with Chris, however if it still shoots and your adoment about using it again , nothing stopping you from gettin out and give it a whirl !!

Bow Walker
03-27-2011, 05:56 PM
If you want "olde school"........I'm over 60, does that make me olde school?

Barry O'Regan
09-18-2011, 03:58 AM
In jest ...........you want old school??? ... then shoot Trad..... 20 plus years ago the diehard stick shooters were saying the exact same thing you are ...
compound is a game of technology .... either keep up or get outta the way ;)

Thanks Mikey, while I do shoot traditional as well, I know what you are saying. It is just that since I have a 30 year old compound it would be nice to see how it stacks up with the modern hunting bow. I just competed in a 3D last week in Burnaby, using my 30 year old Martin Cougar Magnum, and without sights to boot. I took two 60 yard shots at a lying down deer and almost line cutted the 10, getting an 8 spot both times on the first try.

On a comparison against modern bows, my steel cables,and blazing fast arrow speed of 187 feet per second, with a 410 and 450 grain arrows. accuracy was pretty awesome, it wasn't flat shooting, but then shooting barebow with it, it was not a big concern as my yardage estimation by eye, pretty much put the arrow where I wanted it to go. Many commented on how whisper quiet that 30 year old bow sounded. I am thinking if time permits, I may shoot my old Martin Compound in the last round of the day

Eagle1
10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
If you want "olde school"........I'm over 60, does that make me olde school?

NAW, just makes you older than dirt LOL.............................

bugler
10-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I retired my old Jennings Carbon Extreme about 3 years ago because it was starting to get a little clunky and you can't get parts or anyone to make cables anymore. I bought a Hoyt Protec because it is still long enough axle to axle to shoot with fingers, which I still prefer. I hope Chuck keeps shooting fingers so that I might be able to find a new bow to replace this one in 10 years or so!!:mrgreen:

Bow Walker
10-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Barry, might be time to hang that "relic" on the wall and move on up the the present day?...........;) :)