PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a backpack

scairns
03-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm looking for a pack that will carry a rifle or shotgun, tent, sleeping bag, and food/gear for a few nights in the backcountry... Does anyone have any recommendations around $200 or so?

buford19
03-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Try looking at badlands, the quality is second too none. The warrenty is just as good.

Tenacious Billy
03-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Try looking at badlands, the quality is second too none. The warrenty is just as good.

Unless you find a smokin deal on a used one or on line, you're not going to get a badlands with that sort of capacity in that price range........check out Cabelas - they have a few packs around your price range with carrying capacities that might meet your needs.

Devilbear
03-26-2011, 07:36 AM

What actual experience with various packs in big game hunting do you base your opinion on? I do not mean to offend you, but, I had one of the very first American-made Badlands 4500 packs, certainly one shipped to Canada and now have a "Monster Fanny". I have a LOT of serious backpacking experience and sold gear for my living until I retired at age 55 and, IMHO, there are several packs with superior quality to the current Badlands.

In the price range given, I would first check the backpacking forums for used, Bozeman-made and early K-2 Mexican production Dana Design large internal frame packs and the superb Shortbed frame packs as well as Longbed Loadmasters. You can find these for about $300.00 in minty condition and many feel they are superior to Mystery Ranch, Dana's current production. I have and do own many examples of each and agree that some features of the older ones are better, especially the shoulder straps, the best I have used.

If, in a hurry, I agree, look at Cabela's and check for older used Camptrails Freighters at MEC Gear Swap and in BuyandSell.

BromBones
03-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Sounds like you won't be doing too much serious bacpacking. The Cabelas ext. frame packs will work fine for your purpose & price range. Also check out some of the Lowe Alpine Contour packs, they usually go close to your price range as well. Not the best, but they are a dependable internal frame pack with excellent torso adjustment, and decent suspension/padding. Not really designed for hauling 90+ lb loads, but very comfortable with 50-60 lbs.

huntcoop
03-26-2011, 09:49 AM
www.eberlestock.com (http://www.eberlestock.com)

X1A1 is relatively inexpensive as is the X1E. You could also look for a used J107 or J105.