PDA

View Full Version : special sheep draw

Kitimat Killer
07-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi guys,

Hey how's it going i won the 2007 special sheep draw just woundering
what i should do go for stone's and dalls or big horns. I can take two
sheep nexed year any help from your guys would help.

Thanks
Kitimat killer

bigwhiteys
07-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Congrats man!

A dream hunt for sure. If I won the draw... I would be going after big horns with the special tag and then stones in the open season. Dalls you can keep putting for LEH.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

BCrams
07-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Congratulations! That is one covetted tag you are now holding.

First thing first is: how much sheep hunting experience do you have?

My feeling is not a whole lot.....considering you are wondering what sheep to go after. To sheep hunters in the loop, the Rocky bighorn is a no brainer during the late season in the Kootenays outside the mine areas for a giant ram in the late Bob Fontanas guide area.

Even though you hold the tag, it is not a slam dunk and you may find it to be in your best interest to garner all the extra help you can get.

I would highly recommend taking your holidays this year (during the time you can hunt next year) and go "scouting" the late season areas for bighorns so you're ready and know where to start looking when you do go.

bighornbob
07-20-2006, 12:58 PM
First of all,you have already chosen what you want to hunt. When you send your cards in you check what region you want to hunt in. If you checked anything but Region 4 you are out of luck for Rockies.

Please tell me you did not check Region 6 or 7 becuase I would see that as a waste of the tag.

BHB

ryanb
07-20-2006, 02:01 PM
First of all,you have already chosen what you want to hunt. When you send your cards in you check what region you want to hunt in. If you checked anything but Region 4 you are out of luck for Rockies.

Please tell me you did not check Region 6 or 7 becuase I would see that as a waste of the tag.

BHB

I don't remember checking off a region on my special LEH entry cards...???

Deaddog
07-20-2006, 02:05 PM
BIGHORNS, BIGHORNS, BIGHORNS AND BIGHORNS, This one would not be a tough call for me , dalls and stones are much easier (easier not easy!!)

Gilmore
07-20-2006, 02:53 PM
"BIGHORNS, BIGHORNS, BIGHORNS AND BIGHORNS"

Deaddog summed it up in five words.

bighornbob
07-20-2006, 03:04 PM
I used to put 3 cards in for region 4 and 3 for region 3. This year I went all 6 cards for Region 3. I have a good Rocky would like to get a 170 plus cali.

BHB

mainland hunter
07-20-2006, 04:06 PM
so people actually get these draws eh. i cant even score on 2-1 odds for a doe. congrats and good luck, oh yeah BIGHORN if you checked the right area, and there are rocky's in reg 7 too apparantly.

butcher
07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
You could hunt bighorns in region 7(Kakwa) if you want.

Kitimat Killer
07-21-2006, 02:35 AM
hey guys, thanks for all the coments im sure im going for big horns when the guy phoned me to tell me i won the draw he told me i could hunt for any sheep i have to phone him to to get the rest of the details cuz i picked region 6 and 7 for my tagges and he told me i could go any were

ursus
07-21-2006, 12:14 PM
He is right you can hunt anywhere there is a season in BC [leh or gos].The old cards say pick a box, yet the on line ones do not. This was checked out this year and confirmed by the ministry.
If I were you, do a late season[ October hunt ] for stones, and see if you can find a heavy old ram first, 170 minimum, if you do not find one then go to the koots! Good luck!

goathead
07-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Congrats on the best tag that a guy can get.Iam so envious look forward to hearing your plans.

Trapper
07-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Kitimat Killer

You are one lucky man.
If i was you i would be hunting Bighorns here in the eastkootenays,last year the guy that drew the special draw got a bighorn that was in the 190's and the guy before that (which is a local guy) got one that was 197 and change, both of this sheep were taken outside line creek mine property which is between Sparwood and Elkford,its the same place that they hunt the gov. tag (which go for 150,000 to 200,000 dollars)and those sheep usually are going in the 190's.they usually hunt them in Nov.
good luck

ramcam
07-21-2006, 06:01 PM
correction trapper, last years Ram was taken north of the Green Hills mine, the ram the year before was taken in the Fording valley.

Kitimat Killer
07-21-2006, 10:00 PM
hey guy's i've been looking into region 3-27 for the big horns i herd there is some book rams that come out of there i also read that you need a native guide to go there with any body have any info on that area or is there a better place to go i don't know much about big horn hunting all this help you guys are giving me helps me so much man.

thanks
Ricardo

dana
07-21-2006, 10:07 PM
You won't be getting permission to hunt on the KIB lands. This is a new hunt and they are only allowing 2 rams to come off of there, one was an auction tag and the other is the LEH tag winner for that unit. They will not be letting the Special Sheep tag holder take a 3rd ram there.

Kamloops Lake is your closest choice.

Krico
07-21-2006, 10:51 PM
While I too would likely go for a bighorn in the Kootenays, the great thing about using the tag for thinhorns is you get to start hunting 21 days before the regular season opens-so you'd have the mountains all to yourself for 3 whole weeks! If you use it for thinhorns though you gotta go for a Dall...That being said, I wouldn't likely pass the chance at a 190 class bighorn.

boxhitch
07-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Congrats KK. That is one sweet prize. You must have had some ideas in mind when you filled out the tag??
There are some killer rams in closed areas in 6 or 7, (but not just by 'drive-by shooting'.:smile: ) This may be the op for a good Stone in an unhunted setting, if you can use snowshoes (hint). Good luck.

bighornbob
07-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Boxhitch

If the rams are in closed areas, the special tag does not allow you to hunt them. There has to be a regular season or LEH on them for you to be able to hunt them.

BHB

boxhitch
07-24-2006, 09:30 PM
My point was that the rams will be in areas that may well be closed to the GOS hunter, as the dates allow a later hunt, a time that has influences such as winter, rut, etc., allowing for a hunt in an area that is not normally considered as the best prospect in a GOS.

Kitimat Killer
08-01-2006, 04:21 PM
hey BCrams seems like you know alot about the bighorns i just talked to the guy in vic and he told me i could go any were there is an open season or a L.E.H area if you can help me out would be the best man i am going to go for bighorns with the tag and stones sheep in open season.

thanks

Mooseman
08-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey Kitimat Killer,

I'll call my friend and if he is willing to help you out I'll mail you his number.

Greetings,
Michael

PS: We did good on chum and got home on Sunday. See you in Jan. or Feb. for goat.

Kitimat Killer
08-01-2006, 10:45 PM
hey michael
thanks i would really like that if he would not mind that would be great
sorry i could not stop by i was pritty busy

ps. i lost a 30 plus spring the last day on fly and had a blast with chum