PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth tips

brian
03-23-2011, 02:53 PM
I use google earth a lot for hunting. My Garmin GPS can send all my routes and waypoints that I generate while scouting and hunting to it so I can more easily build up a map of how deer are using an area. I also use it pre-season to draw paths for potential routes into an area that I want to scout out.

What I just discovered is that if you right click on your path in the places panel and then click on elevation profile. This gives a 2D profile of the elevation of your chosen path as well as average grade and elevation gained. You can scrub along it and it will give you specific slope grades. You can also manipulate your path and the curve will update. So you can find the ungodly steep spots and try to avoid them. Doesn't tell you everything you need to know but it does give you a decent starting position to go from when you don't know the terrain, especially if you do a lot of bushwacking. Thought I would share this tidbit with you all.

WesHarm
03-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Awsome thanks, got any other tips to share?! :)

Mark_S
03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
If you hand draw a path onto Google earth with the mouse and then save the path you can also view the elevation profile to see how steep a potential hike might be right clicking the path and selecting show elevation profile. It doesn't necessarily need to be GPS uploaded.

I will also tilt the view in Google earth to get an idea of what kind of an area I will be able to glass from a certain vantage point to kind of get an idea of where I might want to set up to spot from.

GrandA
03-23-2011, 03:33 PM
can you search exact hunting regions on google earth how?

WesHarm
03-23-2011, 03:49 PM
We should try and get "Legal hunting areas" Added as a layer in Google Earth.

troutseeker
03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm in to get them to add "big mulies" and "legal rams" layers too!

Whonnock Boy
03-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I pointed this thread out to someone else yesterday. It has a couple links to use in google earth. It has fsr, mu's, and leh areas as well as a bunch of other information. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51682&highlight=google+earth