PDA

View Full Version : North Peace Pigs

wrench
03-22-2011, 10:25 PM
I heard a rumour of feral pigs in the North Peace area. Has anyone else heard this? Anyone know anything about this? Where and when can I shoot them???

MuleyMadness
03-22-2011, 11:18 PM
If there is no season, you can't shoot them. The exception being if they are endangering your livestock.

wrench
03-22-2011, 11:39 PM
I guess I need some livestock...what about private land?

bridger
03-23-2011, 05:48 AM
a farmer in flatrock has wild boars on his land charges about $200 for a hunt. some of them wander onto the neighbors occassionally.

pappy
03-23-2011, 12:44 PM
I have heard something about this too, I have never seen one though. I have never looked into it to see if you can shoot them, I have talked to one guy that has shot one. It wasn't on private land, it was out towards the Jedney area. There is no listing in the regs for fallow deer on vancouver island but your allowed to shoot them so I don't see a reason why you can't shoot them on public land, unless its obviously someones farm animal.

bigwhiteys
03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
I have a friend in FSJ who shot a "russian wild boar" on a private ranch. The meat wasn't all that great, kinda gross actually. Could have just been the sausage recipe too though... He said he paid about $300 if I remember correct.

Carl

moose2
03-23-2011, 01:03 PM
I saw them in the Jedney years ago as well. I was told they were from from the ranch on the beaton river , and that they came and went from there as they liked. This would be simular to someones cattle out on crown land. In my eyes they are owned by someone and not to be shot. It was the same with the pigs I saw. I do have to admit camp porkchops crossed my mind.
Mike

sheepaholic
03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
ther in the cecil lake area and the guy that owns them turned the free they get into the nieghbors fields and he just wants them dead so and i shot one in my sisters yard in cecil lake rioght where our kids were playing a few hrs before so there are lots out in cecil lake if you know anyone out there

MuleyMadness
03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I have heard something about this too, I have never seen one though. I have never looked into it to see if you can shoot them, I have talked to one guy that has shot one. It wasn't on private land, it was out towards the Jedney area. There is no listing in the regs for fallow deer on vancouver island but your allowed to shoot them so I don't see a reason why you can't shoot them on public land, unless its obviously someones farm animal.

Well anything that is not listed in the regs has no open season on it. There is no gray area there Pappy. Shooting nuisance animals on private land that are harming or harassing livestock is another story but not on crown, and not in your back yard. As for Island deer, Fallow deer fall under the mule deer seasons, as do blacktail:

Mule deer licence also valid for blacktailed and fallow deer.

It's entirely different than shooting feral hogs on Crown land. But if you don't believe me, go ahead and shoot one, and then go into the local CO's office and let them know that you have shot it. Let us know how it works out for ya.

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Well anything that is not listed in the regs has no open season on it. There is no gray area there Pappy. Shooting nuisance animals on private land that are harming or harassing livestock is another story but not on crown, and not in your back yard. As for Island deer, Fallow deer fall under the mule deer seasons, as do blacktail:

Mule deer licence also valid for blacktailed and fallow deer.

It's entirely different than shooting feral hogs on Crown land. But if you don't believe me, go ahead and shoot one, and then go into the local CO's office and let them know that you have shot it. Let us know how it works out for ya.

What ever happened to that guy who was shooting bison and taking them to the co's office?? Dawson Creek was it??

Lillypuff
03-23-2011, 07:42 PM
There are some in a place called Keg River about 2 hrs north of Peace River we killed one about 5 years ago and there is now a bounty on them

browningboy
03-23-2011, 07:42 PM
If they are a ferile species then let the games begin, generally NBL..

gitnadoix
03-23-2011, 08:02 PM
From what I have heard the provincial govt does not recognize them nor does any of the land owners up there. For if they do they become liable to any damage they cause. ...hence every one is just looking the other way and saying "what pigs"

I think if you ask you will get the politicaly required answer, that there is no open season.....but ask who is responsible for management of them and you will get a blank stare and a "what pigs"

d6dan
03-23-2011, 08:06 PM
If they are a feral species then let the games begin, generally NBL..

Count me in!!:lol: