PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip up north

Darksith
03-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking for advice/tips on a destination somewhere in northern BC (peace river or atlin). My criteria are as follows.

GOS for multiple animals, we'd love to take multiple species.
Preferance given to elk, moose, sheep, goat, cariboo in that order.

There will be 3-5 of us, and we are willing to do a fly in, river boat in, or simply just drive and camp. We will have approx 10 days of hunting, travel not included in that number. I have a friend that I can ask who has experience with the atlin area, but before I commit to that area (Im thinking there aren't many elk around there) I'd like to get some suggestions.

So do you have any recomendations for me as to float plane companies or river boat charters to contact, where are they located, where should I be focusing my research if we want an elk first, moose second etc etc.

dutchie
03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Tuchodi River with Riverjet Adventures in later August.

Solved!

Dutchie

25tikka
03-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Except for elk, the dease lake/klappan area has a wide variety of animals.

sheepaholic
03-23-2011, 03:36 PM
X2 on riverjet

sheepaholic
03-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Or muncho lake theres a pilot there who flys hunters around northern rockies charters i think they have an ad in the bc regs

bridger
03-23-2011, 07:58 PM
i have had a lot of experience hunting the north and while the idea of a lot of general open seasons for multi species sounds appealing the reality is that you would be well advised to concentrate on one or two. like elk an moose until you get some experience hunting up here. while multi species can be found in most of the general areas up here each specie calls for slightly different hunting techiniques and habitat types. can't go wrong with riverjet.

Darksith
03-23-2011, 08:58 PM
thanks for the tips, I never intended to hunt more than a couple of the species. It would be nice to bag an elk or moose early, then look to the hills above for a sheep or something. Plus if I can get lucky and pull a fall grizz draw then I might have a chance for a triple threat, but realistically I agree that baggin numerous different species is a long shot. 1250/person is a bit steep for my liking personally at this point in the game. If you multiply that by 5 then we might as well just buy a river boat. I was thinking more like $3k for our entire group. That is doable by plane is it not?

BromBones
03-23-2011, 09:16 PM
If you multiply that by 5 then we might as well just buy a river boat. I was thinking more like $3k for our entire group. That is doable by plane is it not?

Not likely.

Will send you a PM.

MuleyMadness
03-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Depends on where you want to fly...but with meat (on the way out), gear, food, men, and the like on the way in, 3K might be a bit on the low side, here's what it's running out of Muncho Lake:

Return floatplane flight from Muncho Lake to Netson Lake outpost cabin:

Party of 2 pers. $820/pers.
Party of 3 pers. $850.pers.
Party of 4 pers. $640/pers.
Party of 5 pers. $820.pers.
Party of 6 pers. $680/pers.
Baggage/Freight allowance 75 lbs per person

As you can see, you aren't bringing back meat at 75# a person, so another flight would also likely be needed. Will try and find my full email from them with their entire menu of prices and will PM you them if I can find it, but that above gives you an idea.

You know it might sound like a lot for the Riverjet, but remember that the cost of fuel, insurance, and the equipment is very high. As well, he will come back and remove your meat and/or move camp for you half way through, included in that price. All in all it's not a bad value, with far fewer hassles vis a vis weight restrictions and such that you get with float planes.

dutchie
03-23-2011, 10:57 PM
With a plane you pay for how far the pilot travels.

SO, if you go to a lake 40 miles in and 40 miles out you have to pay for the miliage out, and back for the pilot, then the same when he comes to get you.

So when you think that it is a 40 mile trip... it in all reality is 160mile trip that you are paying for and at $7-8.50/mile it is not cheep.

I would get a packer to bring you in... rent horses $1250 for 10 days 1 saddle horse and 1 pack horse... jet boat 1250-1750 Depending on where you go you can go in loaded and come out 4 weeks later.Plus Kevin a a great guy and will get you in and out with no issues!!

I know that one guy on this site spent $3500 for his flight in and out of his sheep spot and then he still had to hike 1 full day in..

Dutchie

bridger
03-23-2011, 11:06 PM
I have a riverboat and run the tuchodi muskwa and I can tell you it is much more economical to hire riverjet than to own a boat. and once you become familiar with the area and the costs involved in a northern hunt I am sure you will agree that riverjet is pretty reasonable.

bcyukonair
03-25-2011, 08:24 PM
thanks for the tips, I never intended to hunt more than a couple of the species. It would be nice to bag an elk or moose early, then look to the hills above for a sheep or something. Plus if I can get lucky and pull a fall grizz draw then I might have a chance for a triple threat, but realistically I agree that baggin numerous different species is a long shot. 1250/person is a bit steep for my liking personally at this point in the game. If you multiply that by 5 then we might as well just buy a river boat. I was thinking more like $3k for our entire group. That is doable by plane is it not?
if you think you can buy a river boat for$6250 you must be a dreamer where do you live?

Darksith
03-26-2011, 09:33 AM
if you think you can buy a river boat for$6250 you must be a dreamer where do you live?

If you did that hunt 5 times it would buy you a river boat though, thats how Im lookin at it.

I live in kamloops, but Im from the north and have spent a lot of time on the morice and skeena rivers. I honestly don't have a problem with paying that cash, but Im sure that my unlces (hunting partners on this trip) would. That being said if I bought a jet boat then I could take them on this hunt annually, and I would have a lot of fun doing it. But on the terms of a budgeted northern hunt for them it looks like the ideal hunt would be a group of 4 fly in, and then I can buy the flight to go get the meat.

So anyone know the names of float planes that go into the muskwa/tachodi areas? Know of any small lakes or specific areas you would recommend?

Shade Tree
03-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Villiers air out of Fort Nelson can get you into the Prophet drainage (mining strips) which holds some of the highest elk densities in the world for a non-migratory herd. Moose, goats, caribou and sheep are also there. The cost for two is around $1800.
As Bridger says it really doesn't matter because realistically you will probably never take more than one animal. I am not trying to rain on your trip, but I have seen many parties (4-5 hunters) only take two or three animals for the whole group in two weeks.
Furthermore, make sure you have good equipment; many trips are ruined because guys cheap out on tents or sleeping bags and then cut their trips short.
If you do get into the Prophet or Muskwa it is very worthwhile and some of the prettiest country IMO.

Darksith
03-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Villiers air out of Fort Nelson can get you into the Prophet drainage (mining strips) which holds some of the highest elk densities in the world for a non-migratory herd. Moose, goats, caribou and sheep are also there. The cost for two is around $1800.
As Bridger says it really doesn't matter because realistically you will probably never take more than one animal. I am not trying to rain on your trip, but I have seen many parties (4-5 hunters) only take two or three animals for the whole group in two weeks.
Furthermore, make sure you have good equipment; many trips are ruined because guys cheap out on tents or sleeping bags and then cut their trips short.
If you do get into the Prophet or Muskwa it is very worthwhile and some of the prettiest country IMO.

Thanks so much for the info, I would love for us to take 2 elk or 1 elk 1 moose, and then if there is time look upwards for a sheep or goat. Ive been on numerous mountain hunts around tweedsmuir park and tahtsa reach, and we will be well prepared but definately words of wisdom. They key to any adventure Ive found is warm and dry. If you can stay warm and dry then you will have a glorious time. If you get cold and wet your in big trouble and won't have much fun. I always have a sat phone with me on these types of adventures just in case, cause you never know.

Darksith
03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
any other air companies operating in the area that anyone knows about so I can compare prices?

Darksith
03-27-2011, 10:58 AM
When would the elk be in rut around the prophet/muskwa/tuchodi areas?

sako_300
03-27-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a riverboat and run the tuchodi muskwa and I can tell you it is much more economical to hire riverjet than to own a boat. and once you become familiar with the area and the costs involved in a northern hunt I am sure you will agree that riverjet is pretty reasonable.

Yes - but with your own boat you are free to go wherever/whenever you want...

shallowH2O
03-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes - but with your own boat you are free to go wherever/whenever you want...
yes very true, but kevin brings with him lots of hours of experience running those rivers. Every year up there i see someone with this exact thought, "ill just buy one and head up". I also see lots of these boats being towed down because they have taken damage. Just ask kevin, he's usually the guy towing them down!

Darksith
03-27-2011, 04:20 PM
yeah but Im sure he tows down boats from locals, boats that simply broke down and a whole bunch of other reasons. It wouldn't be too hard to run most of the river if you have experience driving a jet boat on a river, and Im sure if you've never been up there and you wanted to you could easily just follow someone up for a while. That being said Im not gonna buy a jetboat...this year anyway.

spiker
03-27-2011, 08:42 PM
I was very impressed with Kevin's run up and down Tuchodi. He makes it look easy. The river forks and you tell yourself the other way looks better just to find out that the other way actually peters out into five little fingers. Kevin knows what he is doing and where he is going.

tonywtc
03-27-2011, 09:38 PM
thats what gps is for

Darksith
03-27-2011, 09:54 PM
I didn't want this thread to turn into a debate of who is worth what. My hunting partners aren't interested in spending $1200+ just to gain access into an area. Its as simple as that. Now in the future I may choose to use kevin and his company, Im sure he is worth every penny, and on a fly in if I have to secretly pay for a seperate flight to go pickup the meat then I can handle that, but it will be very hard for me to soak up $600 per person for my group to go in with a river boat undetected by my hunting buddies, and it will cost more in the end. That being said, I am super stoked about this hunt, and Ive honestly been trying to make it happen for the last couple years. Looking at google earth the upper prophet looks very enticing, and I would suspect that there are less people in that area than in the tuchodi or muskwa river simply b/c it is farther away? Anyone ever land in the upper prophet with a float plane? Is it possible or am I stuck to the runway (which I heard was vandalized) for access? If I can't get into the upper prophet I will be looking for a lake in MU 7-50, any suggestions?

moose2
03-27-2011, 10:18 PM
When would the elk be in rut around the prophet/muskwa/tuchodi areas?

We had them bugleing on the 28 of August and by Sept 5 they were screaming all day long
one of the bulls we got ( a 5x6 ) had about a 5" deep hole in his hip from a fight, he had 3 cows. The next day we hunted the same area and took a large 6x6 that had 8 cows and calves and one spike with him. If you hunt before Sept 10th its 3 point or better this will increase your odds of a meat bull. It wasn't a easy pack though about 5 km to the river.
Mike
Muskwa river Sept 5, 1992
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/muskwa_elk.jpg (javascript:;)

fearless
03-28-2011, 05:52 AM
thats what gps is for

gps does'nt show how shallow the water is or other boats or logs this kind of thinking is why we all need tickets to run a boat.

BillBraskii
03-28-2011, 06:11 AM
thats what gps is for
So a gps replaces years of day to day experience running northern rivers and watching the ever changing conditions?
Give your head a shake!!
It's this kind of attitude that produces the many jet boat casualties every year.

Darksith
03-28-2011, 05:47 PM
ok ok, a jetboat is something that you need to be familiar with, and you should never run a river that you don't know...we get it. Can I have my thread back? So it sounds like I want to be in the muskwa/tuchodi/prophet area around the first week of september. Is that a fair assumption for the climate and rut these days? How open is it in the upper areas of these rivers? The valleys look wide and fairly open from the pictures I can find on the net. Anyone know how far uphill a guy needs to walk to encounter some of the sheep and goats that inhabit the area? It looks like the rivers are around 1100m elevation, and that the alpine is around 1300m?

Darksith
03-28-2011, 05:59 PM
anyone know of any companies flying out of fort st john?

elkdom
03-28-2011, 06:09 PM
ok ok, a jetboat is something that you need to be familiar with, and you should never run a river that you don't know...we get it. Can I have my thread back? So it sounds like I want to be in the muskwa/tuchodi/prophet area around the first week of september. Is that a fair assumption for the climate and rut these days? How open is it in the upper areas of these rivers? The valleys look wide and fairly open from the pictures I can find on the net. Anyone know how far uphill a guy needs to walk to encounter some of the sheep and goats that inhabit the area? It looks like the rivers are around 1100m elevation, and that the alpine is around 1300m?

best plan to be in 7B the last week of Aug and into Sept, that way you can take advantage of the (GOS any Bull moose till Aug 31), and during hunting moose you can scout for elk, sheep, whatever! then from Sept 1st on hunt Bull elk and antler restricted moose etc!

the weather can be from 30+ Celsius to the minus-Celsius points and snow or rain, be prepared

Darksith
03-28-2011, 06:42 PM
so do you bury your meat if you shoot a moose early and its hot out? Or just debone it and let it hang in the game bags in the shade?

Darksith
03-28-2011, 06:53 PM
anyone know the approximate co-ordinates of the GOs camp at the upper prophet river area? Im just wondering how far up is his camp compared to the last runway at the top.

Shade Tree
03-28-2011, 07:09 PM
The camp is about 2 miles down river on good trail. If you can get to old upper strip you will be in a great area. Someone was saying the strip was wrecked though. There are some small lakes but they will cost to get in there.

elkdom
03-28-2011, 08:35 PM
so do you bury your meat if you shoot a moose early and its hot out? Or just debone it and let it hang in the game bags in the shade?
hang any game very high(15/16 feet, higher if possible)at the lowest part from the ground, in a very shady area, preferably close to water, where there is breeze, bone out the shoulders and hips, spine, do NOT pack uncool-ed meat tightly in game bags,

whitebirch
10-24-2013, 10:04 AM
The camp is about 2 miles down river on good trail. If you can get to old upper strip you will be in a great area. Someone was saying the strip was wrecked though. There are some small lakes but they will cost to get in there.

These strips still wrecked/inaccessible?

brutus
10-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Kevin picks up your meat and brings it to a cooler in fort nelson,another bonus no spoiled meat.we had our meat up high and in the shade and it got a little warm the blowflys were all over it,sure glad Kevin showed up a few hrs later

Avalanche123
10-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Don't get too side tracked with the Prophet/Muskwa.....there may be cheaper opportunities out of Dease Lake, by plane anyway. Head further north and you can put in on Liard and run up the Kechika and then up the Turnagain.....moose, sheep, elk, griz. Not sure if any one runs a boat charter that way though. Other options include flying out of Watson.