PDA

View Full Version : If You Had 4 Days In A Row To Hunt Mule Deer Buck?

Jelvis
07-19-2006, 09:19 PM
deleted-----------------------

Caveman
07-19-2006, 09:27 PM
F. That week would be when I have the best chances at my biggest bucks. Hot on the tail or at least in company of the ladies

mark
07-20-2006, 05:52 AM
B or C no question, mid nov. is always the best!!!!! Dont believe me, check my gallery! most of my bigguns were downed in mid nov. :smile:

07-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Another vote for B or C .........at least in my neck of the woods, this is the best time to be out and about, for a chance at a bigger animal.

Gilmore
07-20-2006, 07:29 AM
I'll go with C or D, unless you have a great isolated spot Rememberance Day long weekend (B) is a zoo! If I have to pick just one it's D. I like E&F though, G is good too... ah hell I'll go anywhere, anytime in November.
Chad

one-shot-wonder
07-20-2006, 07:46 AM
I usually like the last posible dates to chase mulies which in my area is early/mid November. However if it was my choice I would go with D or E as the big boys are down with the rut and the later in the year is a better chance that more snow has fallen and further piled more deer down.

mainland hunter
07-20-2006, 08:32 AM
alpine- september can be productive too

Wildman
07-20-2006, 08:38 AM
B&C would be my bet!!! I am personaly going after one Nov3-11th

BlacktailStalker
07-20-2006, 09:52 AM
D or E. Forget the rut, go to where the deer winter. Regardless of rut activity, they will be there. Earlier, risks the chance they dont show up because of a mild winter. You'll also find bucks chasing the odd doe that wasnt bred and maybe a few that are coming into their second estrous cycle for the same reason. The rut is just a bonus. The real big boys come down to their winter range dead last.

PGKris
07-20-2006, 12:15 PM
A or E (A) because, well, look at how many guys want to hunt the rut :D and (E) because the biggest damn bucks don't rut hard until the last few days of november.
Kris

BCrams
07-20-2006, 03:53 PM
PGkris -

You really mean - the biggest damn hybrids ....... don't you.:mrgreen:

dana
07-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Sept 1-4. Preseason scout in the summer. Find the big boys while they are fat and sassy in their summer modes. Glass them when they are in the reds. Locate which mountain, which basin the baddest of the bunch lives. The go in opening day and whack him.

The rut is a crap shoot. No snow and you ain't killing jackshit. Need the snow to hit the highcountry hard in Oct so that they are ballsdeep to push them lower. With this modern age of global warming, that ain't been happening. A lot of the big boys don't head low to well after the season is over.

PGKris
07-20-2006, 07:55 PM
PGkris -

You really mean - the biggest damn hybrids ....... don't you.:mrgreen:

You got me ;-)

willyqbc
07-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Sept 1-4. Preseason scout in the summer. Find the big boys while they are fat and sassy in their summer modes.

I agree with this.... its really nice to try em with the archery gear before anyone else gets em all stirred up and the big guys get reclusive after the first gunshots. I haven't put down a real hog with my bow yet but the heart pounding action is definately more frequent in the early bow season than it is later in the year!.....easier to pattern them when they are undisturbed too.

Chris

dana
07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Exactly,
This is the only time of year that a big ol' mossback can be patterned. You want to talk pattern breakers, the rut has to be the biggest. You get a glimpse of a monster one day, there are no guarentees he'll be there the next. The smell of estrus in the air can lead him many many miles away. Whereas they will live unconcerned in their summer hidey holes and bed in the same bed everyday all summer. The pattern breaker is frost and snow. The earlier you can get out the better as the highcountry is very unpredicable at that time of year. That is why I would say Sept 1-4 if you only had 4 days, as this would be your best bet at hammering a True TOAD!!!

Kirby
07-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Sept 1-4. Preseason scout in the summer. Find the big boys while they are fat and sassy in their summer modes. Glass them when they are in the reds. Locate which mountain, which basin the baddest of the bunch lives. The go in opening day and whack him.

The rut is a crap shoot. No snow and you ain't killing jackshit. Need the snow to hit the highcountry hard in Oct so that they are ballsdeep to push them lower. With this modern age of global warming, that ain't been happening. A lot of the big boys don't head low to well after the season is over.

I'll go with this too. Specially for bowhunters. Love hunting the rut but its much harder with a bow than the early season.

Kirby

Sikanni Stalker
07-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I shoot my mulies pre-rut, i think themeat is better but, I guess it depends where you live too. We are spoiled up here for mulies, sort of like the folks south of PG are for whiteys. Definitely if you are trophy hunting wait.....but meaters can get a big mulie anytime up here.

Jelvis
07-21-2006, 02:41 PM
-------------------------------

dana
07-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Some bucks don't go high. Some chose to stay low and hang out on private and along river bottoms. Catching those bucks early in the season on Crown is tough but doeable. Just need to pattern them, watch where and when they move off of private and then ambush them opening day. The biggest hurdle would be moving in the timber quietly during that time of year. Normally it is very snap, crackle and pop especially after a hot dry summer like this year. If Sept shows signs of an Indian Summer, you'd be way better off going high.

Jelvis
07-22-2006, 08:23 PM
-------------------------------------

Jelvis
09-26-2006, 07:46 PM

todbartell
09-26-2006, 08:02 PM
make mine a C

~T-BONE~
09-26-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm with b or c hoping that there is a huge dump of snow somewhere on that time line. Really if a deer gets pushed out of the high country it don't take to long if their in a hurry. Deer got century old game trails which i'm sure many of you have seen not to mention the endless amount of logging roads that take you directly to the alpine. Look back at some of your personal treks a guy could travel 14km a day no problem... Thats easy for a deer. I've personally seen em get pushed down overnight!!!! One day no sign in fresh stuff, the next sign everywhere. Just my opinion!

JMac
09-26-2006, 08:20 PM
One 10 day trip to the interior and two 7 day trips up Island. Stinky bucks beware!

Fisher-Dude
09-26-2006, 08:44 PM
I agree with Firebird...C

November 17 has been a lucky day for me, and I've seen lots of rut-drunk mulies around that date.

dana
09-26-2006, 10:10 PM
They are talking about El Nino hitting us hard this year and I'm willing to bet there ain't going to be any snow any of those days. El Nino means very few big bucks will be getting whacked in the late season. Chances are if you had your heart set on killing a whopper, you probably missed the best time.

stanway
09-27-2006, 12:41 PM
I hate to agree with Tod (on anything :tongue:) ;-), but I would choose C also.

:biggrin:

Jelvis
09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
--------------------------------

Islandeer
09-27-2006, 04:29 PM
The later the better, we hunt the East Kootenay, so we hope for lots of snow before Nov 15 which is the season finale. In the last 30 years we have been going there I think the weather has only cooperated 6 or 7 times. But the hunts are always memorable snow,bucks, or not...

oldtimer
09-27-2006, 04:34 PM
You didn't list a bow season so for up here I go with C , second choice D Mike

Jagermeister
09-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Jelvis must be writing a book with all the info he's been phishing lately.

Jelvis
03-12-2008, 08:03 PM
----------------------------

Tinney
03-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Jellydonut, I would definitely pick E for the best mule deer hunting anywhere in BC. I learned a valuable lesson this year hunting deer at the end of Nov, when you see a doe, get your dam gun up!

frenchbar
03-12-2008, 08:14 PM
B . would be my choice if i were to look for a bigger buck.i dont hunt a lot at that time of the yr and would rather hunt the mossy bucks at the beginning of sept.

dana
03-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Jelly,
I still stick to my orginal timeframe. Look at 07 as an example. The late season was a washout. No snow and all rutting activity was nocturnal as it was just too warm during the days. It was a very hard hunt. Many days with zero deer sightings. Felt like it would be more productive to run head long into a brick wall. On the other side of the coin, you take a look at the early season. Man, that was flippin awesome. The big boys were fat and sassy and they were very easy to find. My boy and I had some absolutely awesome stalks on some true monsters. Was the best hunting I've ever had.

hunter1947
03-13-2008, 04:41 AM
November 27 to the 30 would be my time to hunt them.:wink:.

ruttinbuck
03-13-2008, 07:54 AM
I would choose A.
Most of my big mulies have been shot during Oct.
The bucks tend to still be patterned in their every day existance.Once the rut starts they can and will be where ever their nose takes them.I find Nov to be more of a crap shootRB

tomahawk
03-13-2008, 08:13 AM
November 27 to the 30 would be my time to hunt them.:wink:.

This would be my choice as well.

Jelvis
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
------------------------------

Beardy
03-13-2008, 01:57 PM
From spending two years in the bush working on my research, at least in the Peace, I would pick A. Close to Halloween, I saw sometimes groups of 5-6 individuals with at least one HUGE bull... I mean HUGE, trophy size, they're so stupid too, I could walk up to like 75 yards and they would run, I would whistle and they would all stop and stare, perfect shot!!! PM me if you need info on some good spots.

Shed Hunter
03-13-2008, 03:54 PM
The beginning of the season to the end. You never now when the big one will be standing their :eek:

Jelvis
03-13-2008, 04:38 PM

ThinAir
03-13-2008, 05:45 PM
I'd choose early Sept in the peace country (archery). Love stalking those big boys in their bachelor groups.

Deerwhacker
03-13-2008, 06:26 PM
G in December you can enjoy a bow only hunt and without all the gong shows of the regular season that is when i believe you have your best chance, plus with a good possibility of snow your tracking and finding of animals becomes much easier.

tooley
03-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Shed hunter is right, but I have shot 3 four point mulies on Nov 3. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not!

Jelvis
03-13-2008, 07:21 PM
--------------------------

bad arrow
03-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I like the 1st 2 weeks of oct, if I only had 4 days I'd go then, because then the days are getting cooler by then. Also the meat is still good and I dont have to sausage the whole thing, cause I just dont like the rutting mulie taste, and I dont have much trouble getting one at that time of the year, they sure dont move like they do in later november though.
bad arrow

Jelvis
03-13-2008, 08:52 PM
-----------------------

frenchbar
03-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Another of my fav weeks to hunt is the last week in oct. Hunting the tree covererd ridges at about 4500 ft can be pretty produtive. Oct 29th has been a good day for me over the yrs:smile:

wsm
03-13-2008, 09:02 PM
would pick b

Jelvis
03-13-2008, 09:10 PM
------------------------

showtimebc
03-14-2008, 10:04 AM
I personally like hunting end of october... but to find a monster muley, I can't answer that because I haven't got one yet. My dad is a taxidermist and I have seen monster bucks taken throughout the season. To get that monster, I'd say it mostly comes down to luck and persistence. Get yourself out there and see what happens.

srupp
03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
4 days to hunt Mule deer?? Hmmmm 3 feet on the right hand side of Mr Steve Dana..couldnt get any better, ever.

Steven

Jelvis
03-14-2008, 02:34 PM

ROEBUCK
03-14-2008, 02:58 PM
moving to my new house in a month in upper mud so every days gona b a huntin day

Jelvis
03-14-2008, 05:19 PM
---------------------------

Islandeer
03-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Seriously, I would go with Da Dana, banned or not.

Jelvis
03-14-2008, 08:25 PM

dana
03-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Confusious asks why you so confused? You've been told which 4 days and yet you don't like the answer?

Jelvis
03-14-2008, 08:56 PM

dana
03-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Jelvis,
When you were on holidays in the tropics last November you wasted your money didn't ya? We had the same weather here. You want to hunt fresh snow, hit the highcountry for the Sept 10th rifle opener. You'll see snow within those 4 days. I do every year.

horshur
03-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Every one who hunts deer especially mule deer want to hunt in snow that fell only the day before. Started at 4 o'clock the day before to snow a good amount about two and a half inches than stopped about midnight last night. Now you have the cold white truth telling you many stories that went on the night before. When that snow hits I hope you got the right four days to take advantage of the tracks in the cold white truth. Which four days do you think the fresh snow will fall and stay for a few more. How about November 16th thru the Nov 19th for snow and rut crazed. Jelcraze

Jelly I was in denial this year about when the rut happened....watched a big...really big three point in October testing a doe...this was the last weekend of october..
a decent 4 point was already really run down by the long weekend and it pretty much shut off after that.....except for the little buggers who just didn't know.... the very last day of season the bucks were already back to being good friends.
I think your bio dude actually is more to the truth....latest I have ever seen real good rutting action would be the weekend after the long weekend...but it has always been hit and miss.
No matter how you look at it if there is only four days of hunting it's a crapshoot...even early when the high country weather can chase you out.

Shed Hunter
03-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Jelvis. Mules rut peek 15 Nov. Studies they did some years back. Hmmm 4 days. THINKING

Jelvis
03-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Shed Hunter
03-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Jelvis.
New moon 28 Oct. 2008. New moon Nov. 9. 2007. Cloudy days new moon Got my muley Nov. 9.2007 . Thinking 2008 Rut starting early. every year deferent. 4 days HMMMMM

Jelvis
03-14-2008, 10:13 PM

M.Dean
03-14-2008, 10:44 PM
If you hunt around Nov 11th you will improve your odds, take a week off and you will greatly improve your odds. My son and I passed up close to 20 bucks last fall. In Nov. we seen more big 4x4s than the early season. Fresh snow is great, but if there is none i don't stay home, i go out and freeze my ass off and look for bucks! In the early season i seen 4 pnts, but nothing with any mass, nice bucks by all means, but the big ones are still wary and coming out at dark, if you can wait until they start to rut around Nov. 1st you should see some wall hangers. It's real hard to pass on a 4x4 thats got high tines and some width, but it's all in what kind of buck you want to take home.It depends on how much time you can spend in the brush a lot also. If you have only 2 or 3 weekends to hunt your not going to pass on to many 4x4s. I showed my son a few that were real nice bucks and tried to get him to fire, he asked me if they were so dam nice why didn't i shoot them! He held out and got a nice one Nov. 11th. I got mine on Nov. 25th. I don't hunt the alpine, so i'll stick with late season hunting for big bucks.

showtimebc
03-14-2008, 10:55 PM
That Bio guy studied Barriere area for twenty years straight out of Kamloops he's retired now. I was told to phone him up by another bio and ask him stuff on Mule deer. So I phoned and sure enough he was retiring and I said well before you go fill me in. He told me those dates October 23rd the mature does in estrus then all bred pretty well by Nov 2nd, then to Nov 12th the younger does then the missed ones after that every 28 days. Ya he was serious too! He shot all of his four points no more than one-hundred yards from the hard red dirt road. He would get firewood and clear an area over the years inside the bush away from the road. Then go there and bango. He would cross the Nor river in a boat sometimes to hunt and would see 80 deer a day. He told me after I begged him where the biologists saw that big humunges mule deer buck ever seen by the bios and he told me. He said the bios saw it at a distance and two of them saw glimpses the buck had antlers like a Rocky Mountain Elk Not far from where you are a little this way tho. Jel shhhh Humongous Buck. He told me hunt when theres a new fresh snow of 2 inches at 2500 ft elevation in that particular area. You'll see Mr Big, roman nosed, brush buster, breakin the bejeezuz out of the bushes brutally bending till broken and bare, battered bonked and bashed, so thats what I'm going to do. Jelromannoze

Hey Jelvis, I was out October 23 this past fall. I saw 4 bucks chasing behind 2 does. I think they are ruttin just a little then haha...

Jelvis
03-14-2008, 11:05 PM
---------------------------------

CanuckShooter
03-15-2008, 06:56 AM
All times are good if your in touch with your creator Jel...does your door face the east? do you burn the tobacco? When your mind and body are pure, and in sync, you emit electrical waves that attract the animals. Have you never watched a deer moving in the distance change direction and come past you? Most hunters with evil in their hearts will never see the animals in a calm state as will the hunter in touch with himself as a human being. A big four pt will stand and turn broadside to the man who is one with nature.offering himself to be taken, never forget to sacrifice the tobacco..to release his spirit to the creator..to give thanks for his sacrifice..when you follow these ancient teachings you will never go hungry.

Shed Hunter
03-15-2008, 07:48 AM
M. Dean.
You are right. More buck dye Nov 11. week end then any week end.

dana
03-15-2008, 08:25 AM
All times are good if your in touch with your creator Jel...does your door face the east? do you burn the tobacco? When your mind and body are pure, and in sync, you emit electrical waves that attract the animals. Have you never watched a deer moving in the distance change direction and come past you? Most hunters with evil in their hearts will never see the animals in a calm state as will the hunter in touch with himself as a human being. A big four pt will stand and turn broadside to the man who is one with nature.offering himself to be taken, never forget to sacrifice the tobacco..to release his spirit to the creator..to give thanks for his sacrifice..when you follow these ancient teachings you will never go hungry.

Guess I must be living right. :)

Islandeer
03-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Change your name to Dana Lama. :eek:

CanuckShooter
03-15-2008, 09:07 AM
The facts support themselves Dana....so you must be doing a hunt in the proper way. If your a real hunter then you will know of what I speak, never miss a chance to absorb learning from your elders....knowledge is power...power is success [4pt on the ground]...knowledge passed down is part of the circle of life...teach all who will listen.

Jelvis
03-15-2008, 01:09 PM

Jelvis
03-16-2008, 02:06 PM

Shed Hunter
03-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Jel-bio . I agree they are romancing Oct. 23 To-------- Bio Studies Muleys peaked Nov.15. White Tails Dec. 3. White Tails romance a little longer

Jelvis
03-16-2008, 07:36 PM

island hunter
03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
I agree with Jelvis. You get them befor they sweat themselves into a frenzy.

Jelvis
04-17-2008, 01:43 PM

rollingrock
04-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Change your name to Dana Lama. :eek:

:mrgreen: lmao

oddsix
04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
C....in clintnon:)

Jelvis
04-18-2008, 01:34 PM

wjh131
04-18-2008, 05:28 PM
B, I've always had luck on the remembrance day week.

Jelvis
04-18-2008, 09:17 PM

horshur
04-18-2008, 09:24 PM
jelly was in your favorite neck of the woods today...109 muley's without getting the glasses out.. couple hours of lookin.

Jelvis
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM
------------------------

ruttinbuck
04-18-2008, 11:35 PM
jelly was in your favorite neck of the woods today...109 muley's without getting the glasses out.. couple hours of lookin.
I was there last sunday,4 moose together and 50+ mulies.1 chipmunk and zero bears.Good chance I wll be there this sunday as well.RB

Jelvis
04-18-2008, 11:45 PM
-------------------------

ruttinbuck
04-18-2008, 11:55 PM
That bio you mentioned Jel.The one that told you the breeding happens in late Oct to the 10th of Nov.Was that Dave Low?or Ritchey?
I am a firm believer in the last week of Oct for big bucks that can be patterned.After that its a crap shoot as they start wandering following their noses.RB

hunter1947
04-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Does are getting fairly heavy with fawn inside, and bucks will be getting new antler knobs soon. The leaves are coming out now and they are sticky with sap. Green-up and moist soil with longer day-light it's all good. The bucks out there will be big and healthy this season. I gotta get me a perfect non-typical with a spread of 30 inches. So get out there this season and scare one into me. What four days are you going to hunt there? Jelbigbuckcountrytohikeupandin4agoodone
Nov 7,8,9,10.

dana
04-19-2008, 08:06 AM

Numerous units in the province open Sept 1st for 4 point or better. Other units are open to bowhunters or youth hunters. If you do your homework, opening day, you could be able to put a buck like this on the ground.
Sept 1st
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/IMG_0376_sm.jpg

For the Rifle hunter some units don't open till Sept 10th. Weather can be a bitch in the highcountry during that week, but if you manage to get good weather, the bucks still can be in their summer modes.
Here's a Sept 13th buck we got back in 2001. I was snowed out on the 10th that year. With the aftermath of the morning of the 11th, we weren't too motivated to really hunt that hard. Woke up late on the 13th, but we were able to kill this buck in his bed at about noon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Muley%20Pics/File0015.jpg

dana
04-19-2008, 08:30 AM
While the question is if I had 4 days in a row to hunt, I will go further than than. If I had 3 months to hunt, I'd hunt from Sept - Dec. The longer you are out there, the more time you spend on the ground, the better your chances at killing a monster. If you truly want a wallhanger, 4 days don't cut it. You have be willing to put your time in the entire season. Willing to pass on buck after buck after buck. Trophy mule deer hunting is a headgame. The battle needs to be won in your head before you are going to win it on the ground.

Jelvis
04-19-2008, 02:33 PM

Shed Hunter
04-19-2008, 04:12 PM
The beginning of the season to the end. You never now when the big one will be standing their :eek:
I agree with Dana Sept. to Dec. Four month is better then four days:-D

Jelvis
04-19-2008, 04:22 PM

srupp
04-19-2008, 08:22 PM
hmmm my answer is the same as before...4 days with DANA...

cant get any better...

Steven

frenchbar
04-19-2008, 08:26 PM
If i only had 4 days out of the whole hunting season Jelly.it would be sept 10th to the 14th in the high country .cant beat it imo.

Jelvis
04-19-2008, 11:37 PM

frenchbar
04-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Jel. i dont try and save the velvet off the early bucks ,most of my antlers just end up on top of or inb my shed anyways. i like the early season for the nice sunny days ,seeing the groups of bucks in the alpine bowls,glassing the bowls when its nice warm and comfortable,among other things.Hunting muleys is more to me than just the antlers and size of them.

dana
04-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Jelly,
I've found that by the 10th over 60% of the bucks have shed the velvet. By the 12th 85-90% of the bucks are shed. That 190 buck we killed on the 13th of 2001 was late. He probably would have shed that afternoon or the next day. The moment we touched the velvet it was coming off in our hands. After we stripped the rest, it was a cool looking Euro with a Bone White rack to go with his white skull. There are some real easy methods to make them dark if that is your liking, without using any chemical stain, all natural.
I myself love the velvet look and I'd love to get a buck mounted with the velvet intact.

frenchbar
04-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Jelly,
I've found that by the 10th over 60% of the bucks have shed the velvet. By the 12th 85-90% of the bucks are shed. That 190 buck we killed on the 13th of 2001 was late. He probably would have shed that afternoon or the next day. The moment we touched the velvet it was coming off in our hands. After we stripped the rest, it was a cool looking Euro with a Bone White rack to go with his white skull. There are some real easy methods to make them dark if that is your liking, without using any chemical stain, all natural.
I myself love the velvet look and I'd love to get a buck mounted with the velvet intact.I love those velvet bucks also,just havent caught up with the buck of my dreams.when i finaly catch up with him ,i will get a wall mount done .maybe this is the :)yr

Jelvis
04-20-2008, 01:59 PM

dana
04-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Jellyroll,
You keep on asking that question but we've already given ya the answer. Sept is the best time to kill a big buck if 4 days is all you got. Backpackin the highcountry means you are going to be deboning your meat. There is no need to hang a early season big buck to age him. There isn't another time of year where he'll tastes soooo good. If you are stuck on aging, then put it in the fridge to age prior to cutting it up. ;) If one likes excellant table fare and big racks combined, there is no better time of year. I would much rather eat a big ol' early season buck than a late season spike.

Jelvis
04-20-2008, 04:15 PM

Shed Hunter
04-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Big muley bucks drives A man crazy. I like being crazy all season. Not just four days.:smile:

srupp
04-20-2008, 09:46 PM
If you are planning on keeping the velvet intact for mounting check out HUNTSHOOT site a Taxidermist from Sugar Creek Taxidermy..Marco Pilon has kindly posted the CORRECT procedure and materials needed to save that velvet and preserved properly.

Frenchbar lives in THE MOST beautiful of locations and there is NO DOUBT a early high country horseback hunt would be one ion a lifetime!!! And there are some gronks STILL up in those thar mountains...

Steven

dana
04-21-2008, 04:33 PM
71 Camaro,
That is a great early season buck your brother got. Tell him Congrats!8)8)

one-shot-wonder
04-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Maro,

That is a beauty buck no doubt!
Was your bro suffering from a case of scope eye in that photo?

71_camaro
04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
na just really dirty. he and my dad and other bro sat on him for two days untill opening day.

Jelvis
05-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Jelvis
05-06-2008, 08:00 PM
-----------------------------

elkdom
05-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Living where I do, I usually suffer thru deer season the first 3 weeks of Nov, at this time of winter bucks are going hard, this 8x8 non typ muley, last Nov 2007,so late in season, quite often means pepperoni is what you get!

Jelvis
05-06-2008, 08:26 PM

elkdom
05-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks Jelvis,your right about that, pepperoni being the stuff you get so late in deer season, odd'ly though up north here,many muley's arn't barely into the rutt by Nov 1st when the GO season starts,some years the lazy big old buggers just get serious when the season ends about Nov 20,each year!,nothin makes you hang your head and cry like seeing a 200 incher 3 days after the season ends! Hey Jel' you like deer pics, here's my daughter and her first muley, a 6x6 typical , she was 15,wacked him 200yds with 308 Norma Mag,one shot plop!

Jelvis
05-06-2008, 09:19 PM

Jelvis
07-19-2008, 11:52 AM

07-19-2008, 08:54 PM
A - in very high country. First snows have fallen, the bucks will slowly be moving out of their mountain-goat worthy spots.

5 spike
07-19-2008, 09:46 PM
november 8,9,10,11 have always been great days, here on the island.

grizzly_taker
07-20-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm a d,e,f......My big non-typ was taken on nov.28th 33inch neck, nose 4 inches off the ground on a hot trail. i have taken more big buck between the 20th to the 30th than the other dates.

huntwriter
07-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Any time during November when the rut kicks into full swing. But then again, any day and time of season spent hunting is better than sitting at home and waiting for that “magical” time.:-)

07-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Grey Cup weekend, everyone else is at home watching football!

bozzdrywall
07-20-2008, 02:16 PM
I would have to say a or b but the sooner the better i dont like the taste of deer to far into there rut but the big ones are more likley to be out into november.

Jelvis
07-20-2008, 09:11 PM

Jelvis
10-14-2008, 12:37 PM
----------------------

Jelvis
11-11-2008, 09:56 PM

Jelvis
11-26-2008, 08:54 PM
------------------------

hunter1947
11-27-2008, 06:56 AM
If you couldah picked different this eason wouldya or shouldah-have? couldah-woodaw-shouldah-or stayed with
Your First PICK-or-a-second-pick--no-snow-late-rut?
Second rut?-full moon-crispy crunch?
Jel-havin lunch-

You and your wording just blowies my mind Jel ,you are to funny ,LOL http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif.

silvercreek20
11-27-2008, 07:22 AM
I choose November...lol.but for my neck of the woods, it is definetly F.

Jelvis
11-27-2008, 03:47 PM
-------------------------

silvercreek20
11-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Just got back from my quick hike to the fir ridges I hunt late in the year. Nice when you don't have to leave town until just after 7 from your front door. Nice and close to town. Don't see a soul out there because they think they have to drive 1300 miles to go find the deer. Deer are in thick right now and I made the classic mistake of sticking my head in the track instead of looking ahead...........arrrrrrhhhhhhgggggggggggg......... from the flash i got to see he was a beauty..........only 3 days left............maybe tommorow???

Jelvis
11-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Yah look down at the track wow it's huge you look up and WHAM out of the close bushes he drives hard into heavy cover--I hear yah lol---three days to OMG I got it! Jel-lol

Jelvis
11-28-2008, 08:56 PM

browningboy
11-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey Jel, show us some pics of your trips and all the mulies, kind of curious as you seem to be quite knowlegable of the mulie deer areas?:razz:

johnk
11-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Late November-early December for muleys...big muleys.
On the 26th took my stepson out to look for a buck and on our way to the muley hotspot we came across "Ol' Flat Top", a huge Whitey with a 26-28" spread but not very high tines and since it is my 30 yr. old son's first year hunting I held that 250 lb. bruiser at 60 yds. with my grunt tube for 5-6 seconds and my stepson fumbled with the rifle and getting out of the truck and lining up the buck and blah, blah, blah.

According to the kid he "almost" had him lined up when the buck booked it! When he got back in the truck all I could say was, "What the heck...." and told him he would never get 5 seconds on a buck of that class ever again. AAARRRRGGGGGGH!

Jelvis
11-28-2008, 09:15 PM
---------------------------------

Jelvis
05-16-2009, 08:05 AM

curt
05-18-2009, 07:49 PM
2 years ago I did a bow hunt in region 8 Nov 26th it snowed 2-3 inches on the 24th and it was cold. I have never seen rutting muleys like I did on that day. 15 different bucks chasing does around with their noses burries up the does asses, all within about a 3-4 km stretch 3 very nice 4 pointers and 1 huge bugger drop tines the whole deal and lots of basket racks and 3 points. That was my best rut action as of yet, and just a side note it was totally luck on my part for being in the right place at the perfect time.

Jelvis
06-01-2009, 04:04 PM

ghost
06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
If Iwanted a good eater first week ,arrow.Antlers Nov 20-24.

Jelvis
11-06-2009, 08:16 PM

butthead
11-06-2009, 08:54 PM
B or C no question, mid nov. is always the best!!!!! Dont believe me, check my gallery! most of my bigguns were downed in mid nov. :smile:

how do i get to your gallery?

MikeH
11-06-2009, 10:38 PM
B and C has always produced for me

Jelvis
11-24-2009, 07:43 PM

Jelvis
10-28-2010, 08:15 PM

todbartell
10-28-2010, 08:25 PM
learn how to make a poll, noob

Jelvis
10-28-2010, 08:34 PM

one-shot-wonder
10-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Stats R4 lah Who Zerz, and bah who zerz, not for Winners and Grinners 4 daze in a buck haze through the maze

That there is the gheyest post of all time......

Bartell is right, Jelly if you really want to know make a poll, and let the dinosaur threads be buried.

urbanhermit
10-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Stats R4 lah Who Zerz, and bah who zerz, not for Winners and Grinners 4 daze in a buck haze through the maze
I was gonna say that!! then my head started up again...

Jelvis
10-28-2010, 09:10 PM

one-shot-wonder
10-28-2010, 09:25 PM
That's the trouble with you people that use I-phones and twitter everything is so high tech .. no one would take the ancient books of wisdom and knowledge and toss them away like some unappreciate person with no brains.
Jelly Head Cheese -- Hit the road Jack Orf .. 1 tit whiner .. lol .. Your mom was calling for you lol ..

What the hell is a twitter and I-phone?

Must be speaking Jel Jiberish again!

Super Matt
10-28-2010, 10:02 PM
How about Nov 8-11, based on an extensive compilation of trophy records from Canada and the US these four days seem to be the best. The contributing factors to these dates we're, having a barometer reading of 30 or above and rising. The moons perigee and the new moon phase occur close together, with overcast skies, light winds, and below normal temps. I think if you nail all these your golden.

Matt

moose2
10-28-2010, 11:00 PM
F there is more chance of the snow forcing them out of the mountains and into the feeding areas in search of does. Very often this is when we see bucks on fields that we never saw all season. This is a long thread it will be interesting to see how many people harvest deer on the dates they picked.
Mike

curt
10-29-2010, 08:59 AM
c or d for me

oneheadshot
10-29-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm the b guy

Jelvis
11-09-2010, 09:49 PM

Husky7mm
11-10-2010, 09:46 AM

The best hunting by far and the best eating. Ever had them leave before the season opened?:-(Sept 10 in my area that is.

Jelvis
09-15-2011, 04:42 PM

RoscoeP
09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I just dug out my old licience from 1983 when I got my biggest deer, I cut the tag on Nov,9th.

afflicted 1
09-15-2011, 05:41 PM
b because mid nov is usually hot in our area

Ghillie
09-15-2011, 06:40 PM
D! Hot on the heels of the does!