PDA

View Full Version : Tool kit for archers

BlackwaterHunter
03-22-2011, 09:43 AM
I couldnt find a previous thread on this so i thought i would start one.
What things do you carry to service your bow?
I have 5 feet of rubber for my peep, imperial and metric allen keys, spare nocks, string wax, arrow lube, arrow puller, nock alinger ( dont really carry this as one is built into my bow), sharpener, and broadhead alinger ( last two also built into bow)

Bow Walker
03-22-2011, 10:44 AM
I always make sure that I carry these things listed below.

Rubber peep tubing
Extra D-loop strings
Extra serving string
Nocks
Spare release
Small diamond hone for sharpening (knife and/or b'heads)
Portable bow press
Allen keys
Small tube of fletching glue

All of the above stuff fits into my pack, or even in my fanny pack, with with plenty of room to spare. If anything goes wrong you can usually repair it with the tools and materials listed above - if you can't then it's pretty serious.

Vader
03-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Sounds like an APA.. the swiss army bow..
I carry allen wrenches, spare fletch c/w jig, glue, spare string, inserts, nocks, points, serving material, glue(s), leatherman, extra screws for all the parts that use them, o-rings, bow square, spare release, spare peep and a bunch of other bits and pieces all in a fishing box.
For the day hunt I carry nothing but a spare release. Since switching from fingers I have used the backup on more than one occasion as I have left the primary back at camp.
For an over nighter or longer.. portable bow square, nocks, glue, string, serving, allen wrenches and a spare broadhead or two.
Don't use the rubber tube anymore since changing to a G5 peep. One less thing to get caught in the alders or broke when you go to use it.

BlackwaterHunter
03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Yes it is a apa, love it! and it seems like I need to add to my kit!

BiG Boar
03-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Good thread to start. Thanks. I didnt even think of the things that could go wrong!

Bowzone_Mikey
03-22-2011, 02:13 PM
package of waxed dental floss(tie nock points etc...into string)
Jackknife style hex keys (soon to switch that to Torx drivers as Elites run Torx screws in stead of hex.. I will switch out the screws for my rest and sight to torx drive as well)
spare loops
spare release aid
lighter..

at camp i keep my tackle box that has portable press, string and cable set, peeps ... screws , fletching jig, nocks, broadheads , sharpener and everything else I could possibly need except an arrow saw.

knockturnal
03-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Well, since you shoot an APA, you should also bring a spare bow. Haha. Just jokes!!

Bow Walker
03-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I forgot to mention that I always, always carry a couple of flashlights plus spare batteries and a spray bottle of Peroxide - absolutely critical for blood trailing in the bush at twilight or afterwards.

dave*
03-22-2011, 06:19 PM
What to carry

In the quiver

Hex keys ( imperial )
Need to add some torx for the new strother (Thanks for the reminder BZ Mikey)
Wax
Leatherman Tool
Big flat head screw driver
Lock Back Knife
Heavy duty rubber bands
Package of nocks
A pen
Velcro straps
Probably a few other odds and ends floating around the bottom

In the bow bag, ( just got a new one so have to transfer everything over, its a double soft case)

Cable press with split limb adaptors
Back up fix pin sight in a golf club head cover for each bow
Backup movable sight in pistol rug
Light colored electrical tape for making sight tapes
Note book
Range finder
Bino's
Gorrilla brand superglue
Random washers and bolts
Spare releases
More spare nocks
Tape measure
Metal ruler
Serving material
Lighter
Scissors
Hemostats
Sharpie Paint pen in silver
Spare cable slides

Probably some other junk that I will discover when I move everything over

Now that I have the space a tripod and spotting scope will go in the big bow bag.

I now just carry lots of arrows and back ups ready to go in case of mechanical issues.

I guess I should mention that is my going to the range or a 3 D shoot load out.

D*