PDA

View Full Version : Binos: Vortex Viper 8x42 vs. Zeiss Conquest 8x30

heshootshescores
03-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Looking for a new pair of binoculars. Looking to stay lightweight and compact, good for backpacking. Will be used in conjunction with a spotter. I am familiar with and like the vipers...good warranty, good feel, made in Japan. Handled a set of conquests the other day, liked them as well and they obviously come from a reputable maker. What threw me off about them was the made in Hungary part? I thought that line was assembled in the states from german parts?

Anyone with hands on experience with either i would love to hear about it. Are the conquests worth the extra ~150$? or is the conquest line the bottom of the top shelf?

Hoping to avoid input from 'bushnell guy' as well as 'road hunting swaro guy'. Thanks alot!

pappy
03-21-2011, 07:33 PM
I have done some hiking with my vortex vipers 10x42's and find them very good with the shoulder straps. I didn't like them so much with just the strap they come with but they are a good value for the $$. I find them clear and easy to use one handed.

Bow Walker
03-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Where products are made is not as important as the warranty that backs them up - especially these days in a 'globally shrinking market'.

Japan, China, Hungary, Brazil (well, maybe not Brazil), but you get my point. Every company that is able to take advantage of low-cost assembly will do so.

Handle and hold both products of interest to you, test them out as much as possible, and then buy with confidence.

heshootshescores
03-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Where products are made is not as important as the warranty that backs them up - especially these days in a 'globally shrinking market'.

Japan, China, Hungary, Brazil (well, maybe not Brazil), but you get my point. Every company that is able to take advantage of low-cost assembly will do so.

Handle and hold both products of interest to you, test them out as much as possible, and then buy with confidence.

Thanks BW, the only reason i mentioned 'made in Japan' is because vortex has taken some heat on this site because they are 'made in china garbage'. I know 'made in' is different than 'assembled in', but just thought i would throw it out there.

BillyBull
03-21-2011, 08:35 PM
I have the Vortex Vipers with shoulder harness and hunt, stalk, and glass with them all day in mountains and valleys and have found them to be great for my needs. The glass, the eye cap rotate options, and the warranty are what sold me originally. I tried them against all the leading brands at the $500 price range bushnell, leupold, zeiss, nikon and found that the Vipers were the best (got them on sale 3-years ago when they werent as popular as now... paid just over $400.

backpack for sheep
03-22-2011, 08:51 AM
i also have a pair of vortex binos 10x50 vipers my buddy has the razors not any diff but the price .the warranty is very good the binos themselves work great in all conditions

dawn2dusk
03-22-2011, 10:10 AM
I chose the Vortex Vipers 10x42 mainly because the Vipers were made in Japan (cheaper models are made in CHina). Also Vortex has solid reputation with warranties. I have been very happy with mine I also got the shoulders straps that keep them tight and centered on your chest.

thebigrig
03-25-2011, 11:30 PM
I own vortex vipers 10X32 binos, and a conquest riflescope. Hands down the zeiss has better glass.

.330 Dakota
03-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Somebody has play Devils advocate and state the NOT so obvious here. "Warranty is fine,but, when they give you another cheap pair to replace the warranteed "cheap" pair and they end up with the same problems, and you find yourself continuously sending them back to the warranty dept, it gets a little old, and you still have a "cheap " pair of glass. Warranty is great no matter the brand but "warranty" doesnt do a damned thing for ya at 7000 feet now does it. Its like the electric switches on 4 wheel drive pickups these days. When I bought my Dodge I orded it with a shifter, even though the sales guy insisted the warranty would cover any problems with the switch setup. My response was, "If I am in a mudhole somewhere outback and the switch fails and I cant lock the hubs, the warranty dont mean shit to me at that point now does it" If your looking at Zeis then you can probably afford them. Even if you have to save for a while its worth it..trust me

showtimebc
03-26-2011, 08:51 AM
anyone try te new vortex viper HD binos yet?

bubba350
03-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Somebody has play Devils advocate and state the NOT so obvious here. "Warranty is fine,but, when they give you another cheap pair to replace the warranteed "cheap" pair and they end up with the same problems, and you find yourself continuously sending them back to the warranty dept, it gets a little old, and you still have a "cheap " pair of glass. Warranty is great no matter the brand but "warranty" doesnt do a damned thing for ya at 7000 feet now does it. Its like the electric switches on 4 wheel drive pickups these days. When I bought my Dodge I orded it with a shifter, even though the sales guy insisted the warranty would cover any problems with the switch setup. My response was, "If I am in a mudhole somewhere outback and the switch fails and I cant lock the hubs, the warranty dont mean shit to me at that point now does it" If your looking at Zeis then you can probably afford them. Even if you have to save for a while its worth it..trust me

I actually drove over my vortex vipers with a quad and they send me a brand new pair no questions asked I even told them what happened. since then I have bought another set of binos, a spotting scope, a rifle scope and pack tripod. I am a votex customer for life. If you put there glass next to swaroski or zeiss I bet you can't tell the differance, I couldn't. Sure you can pay more money but if you don't have to why would you.

just my 2 cents