PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Zodiac

fuzzy
03-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Good Afternoon

My wife and i are thinking about getting a boat for either this summer or the next.

We want something that is versatial,safe, economical to run and that can haul us, the dog and our camping gear. I remember my unlce having a fully inflatable 12 Zodiac and him taking it alot of different places. We are thinking something in the 14-16 foot range but of course the wife is a touch skeptical about a "dinghy".

We would want to use this boat on Pitt and Harrison Lakes as well as a bit up Indian Arm. I obviusly think about the possibilities of beaching the boat and going hunting in the fall.

I have no experience with boats besides a 10 foot car topper. I would really appreciate peoples thoughts and opinions.

thanks

fuzzy

Pioneerman
03-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Zodiacs are great I have had a couple smaller ones 9.5 ' and they were great. You would not regret having one, but what are you looking for a inflatable or a hard bottom boat ? When you get into the 14-16 foot sizes you are not thinking of something you blow up and throw inside the RV. As for being a dingy you might tell your wife to look at what the Coast guard, fisheries and search and rescue all use. They are not toys, which you will see by the prices

nthrngrayling
03-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Fuzzy, I have had two ZEBEC inflatables. A 16' which I found to be a bit too big and I sold. I now have a 14' Armada Rescue with an aluminum floor and inflatable keel and a 35 hp jet. I much prefer the 14' unit and it's more than adequate for what I require. If your not planning on running any shallow rivers, a 20 or 25 hp prop outboard will just about equal the (50hp power head) 35 jet.

I have found that the ZEBEC units have larger tubes and are constructed out of heaver material than any of the other inflatables I have researched.

I think I can safely say that after six years of running medium to shallow rivers both hunting and fishing with the Armada Rescue, that it would be my first choice again.

As Pioneerman said, you can't just toss then in the back of an SUV or pickup. It will require a trailer.

PM me if I can be of ant more help. NG