PDA

View Full Version : Best Wall Tent Stove

Islandeer
07-19-2006, 02:17 PM
We are looking for a new stove to heat our 16 x 20 tent. Hopefully one that has a 9hr burn time. Getting up in -20 isn't as much fun as it used to be!:) I have looked at The 4 dogs, what are your best choices?

Thanks

JAGRMEISTER
07-20-2006, 09:19 AM
GET A BETTER SLEEPING BAG, DONT WORRY ABOUT THE HEAT! lIVE OUTSIDE THE TENT AT -20 AND BUILD A BIG FIR, WAY NICER THAN BEING STUCK IN ANY TENT!

Gilmore
07-20-2006, 03:04 PM
GET A BETTER SLEEPING BAG, DONT WORRY ABOUT THE HEAT! lIVE OUTSIDE THE TENT AT -20 AND BUILD A BIG FIR, WAY NICER THAN BEING STUCK IN ANY TENT!

Try the West Pavillion on the 10th of December at -35, and that was for 5 straight days. I'll take stuck in a tent any day!:mrgreen:

The old hippie killers have kept our group warm on many nights and all though they may not have a warm water attachment and there are probably better stoves, they are fairly cheap, and can be found pretty much in any hunting store, or old pack rat infested log cabin for that matter

Islandeer
07-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Yah whatever.

K-1
07-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Have you tried "Capital Iron", they have the blue tin airtight stoves. They come in three sizes, so you can get the one that fits your needs.

huntcoop
07-21-2006, 10:06 AM
We made ours out of an old 45 gallon drum, works like a charm.

Deaddog
07-21-2006, 10:51 AM
check out the deluxe wall tent guys, they do it for a business and they are all avid hunters, you won't go wrong thru them.

greybark
07-21-2006, 11:05 AM
;-) Hey Islandeer , My tent stove was a smallish Fisher Airtight (Momma Bear ?). The front door was 12x12in and I extended the length by 6in (back) and skids were welded to the legs so I could drag it over ground . The racks that extend to the side held pots and pans , was a drying rack and a large pot of hot water was always available . The racks rested on extensions that served as carrying handles for a comfortable two man lift . All my cooking and heat requirments were met . My toast grill is still on it .
;-) Provided ample heat for my 14x16 wall tent in minus 35-40 C and dampered down would burn for 12-14 hours (western Larch).
When the early morn alarm clock went off I would reach out from my sleeping bag and open the damper , 10 min later we were up in and at er in a warm tent .
:mrgreen: Each time I returned from my treestand or forays cold and hungry , The smoke from the stack and warm tent made things right .
:redface: I dont`t know how to post a picture of the stove so if someone can help It would be OK.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

PS, They show up now and then in the Buy and Sell

Islandeer
07-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks fellas. The one we have now is a shipyard spesial,works great but only has a burn time of 4hrs or so with fir. Greybark, what is the depth of your stove. I like the other height and width dimensions. I have seen the 45 gall. ones, they look good too. Planning next years hunt is lots of fun, thanks again for the feedback.

huntcoop
07-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Greybark, I would love to see a picture of the stove. Also, what kind of sleeping bag do you have?

deerhunter
07-21-2006, 04:16 PM
I agree the fisher,s are a great stove but heavy if weight is a problem check this out.Cheap and sounds like it works well.Rick http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/matthews78.html

greybark
07-21-2006, 05:55 PM
:???: Hey Islandeer , I sold the whole camp two years ago. I recall it was about 24in long and i extended the back another 6in. Front was about16x16in with a 3in step up halfway back . As far as weight goes I always managed to load and unload the stove into my utility trailer by myself .
For a bed I used a boxspring and mattress and had a military artic sleeoing bag but preferred normal bedding .
:neutral: I have a good photo of it if someone cares to post it .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

dirtyharry
07-23-2006, 11:42 AM
We got new stoves at work a few years ago to replace the old yukon stoves. They run on wood coal diesel or kerosene or others. When burning liquid fuel they run off an inverted jerry can outside your tent. Here is the link to their site. We use them in our arctic tents and mod (wall tents)

http://www.huntermfgco.com/military_1_2_2.cfm

xcaribooer
07-31-2006, 06:23 AM
Check out a 'Riley' stove, I have one and it works great to heat a 12x14 tent.It has 7 one foot lengths of stove pipe that all fit inside the stove for easy storage when traveling.

xcaribooer
07-31-2006, 06:24 AM
http://www.walltentshop.com/Riley.html
here they are ..

Rainwater
07-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Go and buy or get one for free without the approval lable as those are no longer permitted in homes. We use a fisher (sorta like Greybarks) and actually stole his idea. We strap ours right to a dolly and it slides out of the trailer easy.