PDA

View Full Version : sheep huntinf west of williams lk

leadpillproductions
03-21-2011, 09:03 AM
There used to be a leh hunt for sheep out west of williams lk , but i dont see it in the leh book. Is it just open hunts out there now ? I do see 5-02 5-03 5-04 are open .but no leh where there used to be by riski creek

BCrams
03-21-2011, 09:06 AM
The old LEH area is closed to hunting.

There's a GOS along the east side of the Fraser River and parts around Chilko way but as far as boundaries go - you should be able to look it up.

leadpillproductions
03-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Never hunted sheep out there lived there for 21 years , but never hunted out west . Figure if i dont draw my antelope tags for montana ill be hunting sheep in the puddle.

BCrams
03-21-2011, 10:17 AM
The Riski Creek / Junction sheep are closed. There's a map in the hunting regs showing the open areas and closed areas.

I thought you were going sheep hunting up north for Stone's sheep?

leadpillproductions
03-21-2011, 11:12 AM
The Riski Creek / Junction sheep are closed. There's a map in the hunting regs showing the open areas and closed areas.

I thought you were going sheep hunting up north for Stone's sheep?
Leave for stones for opener , And if i dont draw antelope tag ill go hunt cali sheep

BCrams
03-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Maybe you'll shoot a Stone's ram and your cali will have to wait a year. Good having a back up plan.

leadpillproductions
03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Can you not hunt shoot both in same year.

KB90
03-21-2011, 08:48 PM
No you can't. 1 sheep a year

leadpillproductions
03-21-2011, 08:52 PM
I could be wrong but they are different sheep , i have been wrong before

BromBones
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
I could be wrong but they are different sheep , i have been wrong before

You'd have to draw the special sheep permit to do that.

leadpillproductions
03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
good to know thanks guys never thought about that

houndogger
03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
You can only kill one sheep a year...you can go for bighorns if you never got a stone.

elkdom
03-21-2011, 09:53 PM
why not just stay in your own backyard and hunt Reg 7-19 ? if you want a GOS sheep hunt,

blackbart
03-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Good on you for asking the questions and trying to learn the legalities ahead of time. As others have pointed out there is an open season in region #5 for full curl Cali's - best have a close look at the regs to find out when and where they are open.

Not all sheep habitat in region #5 has an open season. In fact some of the better known sheep areas do not currently have any season.

From my experience finding a full curl ram in the open areas would be somewhat similar to finding a 215" mulie - ie, they are there but don't expect to find one on every hillside.

Good luck in your search, and don't forget the regs.

leadpillproductions
03-21-2011, 10:23 PM
why not just stay in your own backyard and hunt Reg 7-19 ? if you want a GOS sheep hunt,
Im from williams lake lived there for 21 years now i live up here just never hunted sheep ,just starting to get in to it you can never have to much info . As for 7-19 i will be going out there this summer never been out there have to learn that area also . Have you ever hunted the area any info would be great thanks

BCrams
03-21-2011, 10:41 PM
It doesn't hurt to ask questions on here but it also doesn't hurt to study your hunting regulations more too and know it inside out on your part. The seasons and maps of open / closed areas are all in there.

Example: assuming you can hunt and shoot both sheep because they're different and assuming an area is open to sheep hunting because it isn't on LEH anymore.

You can only shoot 1 sheep in a year ... unless you pull a 'special sheep tag' -- not a regular LEH sheep tag.

leadpillproductions
03-21-2011, 10:48 PM
I was surprized the leh isnt available any more in the one region. It was my bad thinking i could shoot two sheep in a season . I do read the regs but was asking questions .

heshootshescores
03-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Less sheep are in trouble

srupp
03-22-2011, 01:57 PM
hmmmm not the rams there used to be however there ARE rams open , that ARE legal and it is open general season.. from what I know...just over 20 legal rams..for sure...and the same amount of rams that I havnt put much effort into..because they are iffy...

steven

KB90
03-22-2011, 02:04 PM
from what I know...just over 20 legal rams..for sure...and the same amount of rams that I havnt put much effort into..because they are iffy...

Curious where you got that number steven?

srupp
03-22-2011, 06:00 PM
HMMM With my own eyes..checking each area...that last 20-24 months by legs and when working...

seperate bands of sheep with pretty seperate home domains...

yes I may have missed some..but know most bands after 30 years here

Steven

KB90
03-22-2011, 06:02 PM
HMMM With my own eyes..checking each area...that last 20-24 months by legs and when working...

seperate bands of sheep with pretty seperate home domains...

yes I may have missed some..but know most bands after 30 years here

Steven

Awesome.

Just so you know I was in no way questioning you, just curious if you had study/population numbers, or if that was your own observation.

srupp
03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
I have been watching the #'s closely for the past 3 decades..seeing which bands move ...dissapear...whatever...

I also get the benifit of "chopper time":mrgreen:...

Yes I get suprised sometimes..like a band just :"appeared" in an area devoid of sheep for many many years..I actually have never seen any sheep in that area..it now holds 5 shooter rams.. why??I have guesses but no facts..just that they are californian bighorns and have been there for 2 years now..

The big boys..are still elusive...the group of three is down to 2...been there for considerable time...where guys look..generally but theseguys got big by breaking the rules..

another group of 5 BOOK rams have left the GOS area and are now just 4 rams...but unfortunatly across the lake from being legal...why did they move??? again just guesses...

steven

boxhitch
03-23-2011, 09:35 PM
hmmmm not the rams there used to be however there ARE rams open , that ARE legal and it is open general season.. from what I know...just over 20 legal rams..for sure...and the same amount of rams that I havnt put much effort into..because they are iffy...

stevenBragging and showing off without putting out............
There is a name for girls like that :);)

srupp
03-23-2011, 09:53 PM
hmmmm I in fact did post photos in the past while...unfortunatley most photos are of such poor quality, far away, or show too much realestate.....

Admitadly having lived here for so long..and having such diverse modes of transportation gives me an advantage....

my trophy room is always open for visitors..comes with a free coffee...

when I help folks with grizzlies I like it when they post photos..and no one can come on here and say the info I gave them was bogus or off base...usually right on the money..same goes for sheep only I specifically request it remain quiet....for various reasons of mine..look at the guys that have gotten Booner bears ,cariboo...no bragging thats the facts...I enjoy helping..and seeing guys/gals be successfull...and I only wish I had started asking for photos of all the harvested game..moose,deer, sheep, black bear grizzlies years ago..however the numerous photos of members success in my trophy room brings me lots of satisfaction..

cheers

srr

steven

traveller
03-26-2011, 04:58 PM
not a bad mob of cali's

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/1footinfrontoftheother/North%20America/200910050443064.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/1footinfrontoftheother/North%20America/200910050434381.jpg

KB90
03-26-2011, 05:09 PM
^^^^ Region 3 or 5?