PDA

View Full Version : Chrtistina Lake Hog Hunt???

rocksteady
03-21-2011, 07:48 AM
http://www.globaltvbc.com/entertainment/Feral+pigs+rampant+picturesque+community/4474408/story.html

Where do I sign up??????? I love bacon :-D:mrgreen:

Pioneerman
03-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Bacon is one of the major food groups isn't it ?

cariboo crawler
03-21-2011, 08:52 AM
When do they open!!!
Love to put one of these in the freezer:mrgreen:
Lets have an LEH. lol

bforce750
03-21-2011, 09:06 AM
I'd love to hunt them all year round, pork chops,bacon ,ham, roast,sausage,more bacon, pig roast over a charcoal fire and pork ribs..can't wait!!!!

Hank Hunter
03-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Relax guys. They don't open. They escaped from a private farm. Co is trying to get owner to deal with them, if not they will do it. No provision for hunting them under the wildlife act

bcbrez
03-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Check out my post "anyone from christina lake". We had some debate about this.

rocksteady
03-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Relax guys. They don't open. They escaped from a private farm. Co is trying to get owner to deal with them, if not they will do it. No provision for hunting them under the wildlife act

Sure....Burst our bubble with facts and truths :icon_frow:icon_frow:icon_frow

Can't a guy dream????:-D

BCsniper
03-21-2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.manitoba.ca/conservation/wildlife/problem_wildlife/boar_at_large.html

Back home we experienced this problem and I know that they took some very drastic steps to try and eliminate the problem. For a while they had a density population map that provided good direction where to go for them.

Regardless, very hard to control once the population has started to mass produce.

bforce750
03-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Sure....Burst our bubble with facts and truths :icon_frow:icon_frow:icon_frow

Can't a guy dream????:-D

He has to be wrong!!!!:twisted:

bcbrez
03-21-2011, 09:33 AM
I know of a few guys that have been shooting them since last year. When the CO talked to him about it the guy said he would start to raise shit because of nothing being done about the pig problem. The CO let him keep the pigs and hasn't said anything since. Another guy was out looking for coyotes a few weeks ago and had 8 pigs go by him so he shot the biggest. 150 lbs with 5.5" tusks. If I see them running around I'd probably drop one too.

Whonnock Boy
03-21-2011, 09:43 AM
If I see them running around I'd probably drop one too.

You are probably not the only one. What are the odds that the farmer is going to be able to contain, and or rectify the problem he started? The sooner something is done the less likely of a "pigdemic".

MB_Boy
They don't directly mention HBC :wink:.......but I am sure that the CBC has been lurkin' around!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/03/19/bc-christina-lake-wild-pigs.html (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/03/19/bc-christina-lake-wild-pigs.html)

BCsniper
Bcbrez... there is no "probably" in that statement! :D You know you want a piggy!!! hahaha

WesHarm
03-21-2011, 09:44 AM
If their destroying your property isn't it completely legal? or does that only count for "wild" animals?

cariboo crawler
03-21-2011, 09:56 AM
This is what pisses me off!! The CO is aware of the problem. The pigs I mean, not the taking of the pigs. What has he done about it? When will the Minister of Environment make a statement to address these pigs. There's no way the original owner of the pigs will be able to control or recapture these pigs.
Everyone knows that . So like any other gov't decision there will have to be 10yrs of study and then maybe a decision.
I like the idea of free pork myself.

bcbrez
03-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Bcbrez... there is no "probably" in that statement! :D You know you want a piggy!!! hahaha

By probably I ment definitely one, probably as many as I can drop befor they run off.:twisted:

tim3500
03-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Long time ago they had a pig problem up in Harrison hot springs area and if Iam understanding it as I was told it was shoot to kill till there gone

bcbrez
03-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a party and a good time to meet some of you. Group hunt / pig push.

WesHarm
03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
I'd drive up to come play.... :)

Jagermeister
03-21-2011, 10:09 AM
The farmer can lure them back with a few bags of corn. All he has to do is sprinkle some corn kernels around the area where the wayward pigs are loafing and then make a trail of corn back to the pig sty. Simple as that and that's a method of hunting wild pig down Texas way.
Now, anybody got some ideas?
Anyone up to hosting a pig roast in Christina Lake?

BCsniper
03-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Well looks like a hunting party of 3 - I would be in.

Jagermeister
03-21-2011, 10:15 AM
I seem to remember awhile back when there was a farmer south of Hixon that had a feral pig problem, I believe it was with the European Wild Boar. Pigs hoofing it all over the place and I saw this with my own eyes.
MOE laid the law down on the farmer to fix the problem or else.
The farmer was acquainted with some of the really ardent bowhunters in the area and invited them in to hunt them. End of problem.
I think this farmer may have be associated to the pig problem they had over in the Mayerthorpe area although I am not positive about that.

bcbrez
03-21-2011, 10:22 AM
These are the European Wild Boar as well.

Ronforca
03-21-2011, 11:37 AM
There was a problem a while back around Chilliwack mtn.with a bunch of wild hogs.The first one that I heard about chased a hunter up into his truck box and he shot it.It was open season on that bunch until they were all shot off.The same with the bunch around Harrison.

BiG Boar
03-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Anyone have pics of the ones that were shot? I heard they were floating the net.

Craven200
03-21-2011, 12:09 PM
This is what pisses me off!! The CO is aware of the problem. The pigs I mean, not the taking of the pigs. What has he done about it? When will the Minister of Environment make a statement to address these pigs. There's no way the original owner of the pigs will be able to control or recapture these pigs.
Everyone knows that . So like any other gov't decision there will have to be 10yrs of study and then maybe a decision.
I like the idea of free pork myself.

Why are you slagging the CO? This is a Ministry of Agriculture issue to begin with, not the CO's. After Agriculture, you may get MOE re: habitat issues, at which time MOE could request the CO for assistance. But this is clearly not a CO's mandate.

grizzlydueck
03-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Good call ! it`s not the CO`s decision or problem..yet ! But if there is a green light on getting rid of them -i`ll be there, within one days notice for a bow -shotgun-or rifle cull! Pork in the freezer would be great! I think I`m going to have to make some calls and get some real info!

bforce750
03-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Good call ! it`s not the CO`s decision or problem..yet ! But if there is a green light on getting rid of them -i`ll be there, within one days notice for a bow -shotgun-or rifle cull! Pork in the freezer would be great! I think I`m going to have to make some calls and get some real info!

Im in Chad, we'll have a wild boar rotisserie:twisted:

300H&H
03-21-2011, 07:32 PM
I spoke with our local CO and he said if I ever see one....go ahead and shoot it. Anytime.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/tohb01.jpg

Allen50
03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
well i guess if you can not keep bears there to gard your pot you get the pigs, cause they eat ever thing,, i would injoy pig hunting with the bow, see a few pig hunting vidoes and would love to hunt them,, cool if you live there and know where they are and can get at them send a pm, could be fun to come over and get some,,,

bandit
03-21-2011, 08:43 PM

I thought any non-native species was fair game with a 365 day season??

mark
03-21-2011, 09:06 PM
I also spoke to a local CO about this issue....He said shoot em dead on sight!
They are going in the truck if I see one on crown land!

knighthunter
03-21-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty sure in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta it's open season all year long. I see on CGN a guy in Sask just shot 2 a couple of days ago. Story includes pic's.

boxhitch
03-21-2011, 09:29 PM
I thought any non-native species was fair game with a 365 day season??Legally? No
If you get permission, make sure it is writing. CYA

Peter Pepper
03-21-2011, 09:37 PM
They don't directly mention HBC :wink:.......but I am sure that the CBC has been lurkin' around!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/03/19/bc-christina-lake-wild-pigs.html (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/03/19/bc-christina-lake-wild-pigs.html)

I think the fact that a CBC reporter reads these post kinda' scary.
I'm gonna have to mind my P's and Q's

meathead
03-21-2011, 09:38 PM
sss soootem shuvlem shutuaboutum

03-21-2011, 10:14 PM
HERE PIG PIG PIG PIG SUEY SUEY SUEY ...... ! ! !! !!!!!!!!!

OINNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKK!! OOOIIIINNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKK! !!!!!!!!! !!!

Canadian Back Bacon ............ were famous for it !

CT

cariboo crawler
03-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Why are you slagging the CO? This is a Ministry of Agriculture issue to begin with, not the CO's. After Agriculture, you may get MOE re: habitat issues, at which time MOE could request the CO for assistance. But this is clearly not a CO's mandate..

Not specifically slagging the CO, never see them anyway (I wish there were more). CO is usually the first line of contact between us and the Ministry. All I am saying is that he should be able to provide us with an informed answer to the question or relay a message back to us from the ministry as to what is being done and what would be allowed by a hunter without us getting in the $hite.

Looks like in another response that one has said go ahead and shoot. Does that mean his message is consistent with other CO's?

biggamehntr
03-22-2011, 04:02 PM
I gotta talk to a CO about this! I hunted boar down in texas a few years ago and it was a blast! Would love the opportunity to do it again!!

abbyfireguy
03-22-2011, 04:54 PM
I
I think this farmer may have be associated to the pig problem they had over in the Mayerthorpe area although I am not positive about that.

What problem would that be!!! I hope you're not going where I think you are with that comment.
Probably best not to go down that road..

Allen50
03-22-2011, 09:37 PM
there is a show on tv right now about wild hogs, pritty cool and lots of info trying to catch them,,

Barracuda
03-22-2011, 09:38 PM
and they are showing them useing dogs also:-D

Allen50
03-22-2011, 09:39 PM
its on cha 27 discovery there killing and chasing the wild hogs,

Allen50
03-22-2011, 09:46 PM
just saw a ad on the news about the pigs, its going to be on the news tonight,wild pigs story,

Pioneerman
03-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Damn the last two seconds :-(

bcbrez
03-22-2011, 10:02 PM
just saw a ad on the news about the pigs, its going to be on the news tonight,wild pigs story,

time and station?

Barracuda
03-22-2011, 10:05 PM
i think it is on tommorrow and you can find info on the disc site http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/hogs-gone-wild-videos/

Pioneerman
03-22-2011, 10:07 PM
i think it is on tommorrow and you can find info on the disc site http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/hogs-gone-wild-videos/

Great thanks....

Singleshotneeded
03-22-2011, 10:37 PM
:-D We should send an email to the Ministry and offer our services to help with the Christina Lake problem, if they'd be so kind as to post their permission for hog hunting on their website!

MB_Boy
03-23-2011, 08:10 AM
there is a show on tv right now about wild hogs, pritty cool and lots of info trying to catch them,,

There was some okay stuff in there but some of it was really done up for "televsion".

Example.......when the guy in Hawaii had to go into the maze of tunnels looking for an injured hog. "Night vision" cameraS.....they had cameras filming at least 2 different angles in there, it was definitely staged to look good for TV. I can't see them having time to get at least 2 cameramen in there...ahead of him.....to film him coming in.......all the while there is an apparent "wounded nasty hog" in the same little maze. :roll:

Now...having said that the stuff done in Texas was a bit more believable that it was what was ACTUALLY happening and not necessarily set up for TV. The camera on the big white dog while it was chasing the pig was kinda neat footage....for what you could tell what was happening. :wink:

Squamch
03-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Just a point of interest here boys...I used to have a permit to shoot fallow deer on mayne island. The deer farmer over there didn't maintain her fences, and MOE issued a few of us permits to shoot the escapees. I think it went thusly-landowners complain, suggest a solution, contact hunters, then hunters had to apply for the permit with the landowners blessing on it.