PDA

View Full Version : Pants for your different hunts?

BiG Boar
03-21-2011, 07:10 AM
Hoping to find some information on what you wear on your legs during different hunts. Obviously spring, summer and fall will be different. I would think layering is best. Do you have some favorite pants? I had a really nice fleece pant last year, and this year I bought some wool camo pants from Mark's WW. Usually I go with long johns, then a fleece and then a gortex shell. Does anyone have any really good hunting/hiking pants?

Fosey
03-21-2011, 07:18 AM
I bought a pair of Mammut Glacier pants at the Wild Sheep convention in Reno in February and have hardly taken them off since. They have tough material on the butt and knees. They are very expensive but very warm, not waterproof but when they get wet they aren't sopping wet and dry fast. I have a new pup with lots of energy so I go for a couple of hikes per day and I am amazed with these pants. They will be unreal in the mountains this fall.

Sitkaspruce
03-21-2011, 08:29 AM
RiversWest light weight for spring and early fall, then the guide's pants for later in the fall. I use Stanfields superwool for a layer underneath. Never been wet or cold, the odd time warm, but not enough to worry about.

For Mt hunting, a pair of Redledge waterproof fleece with superwool if really cold and HH hypertech if really wet.

Cheers

SS

BCrams
03-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Kilts? Different lengths? :mrgreen:

snareman1234
03-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Kilts? Different lengths? :mrgreen:

Hahaha! Treat one with a DWR and you are lauging

pnbrock
03-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Maybe a nice slip under your kilt for layering.

brian
03-21-2011, 11:23 AM
For hunting I just wear some polar fleece pants that I made, when its really cold I layer them with merino wool long undies. But the fleece would be waay too warm for summer use. don't hunt in summer but when hiking I usually wear shorts or I have a lightweight pair of khakis that I picked up at value village. They are nice because they dry really quick.

03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I have some cheap canadian tire jean type cammo pants for sunny day hunts.
Browning XPO pante for early season wet weather. They are lighter and you can layer under them better for Thoes spring bear days where it is wet and warm right to October when the first snows fall.
Then Rivers west for COLD days calling Moose. They are too hot for me to still hunt in unless it is cold. But if you are sitting down calling all morning they are a must.

Merano wool to fleece to rain pant.
i have different weights of the above combo to keep me warm and dry

03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
RiversWest light weight for spring and early fall, then the guide's pants for later in the fall. I use Stanfields superwool for a layer underneath. Never been wet or cold, the odd time warm, but not enough to worry about.

For Mt hunting, a pair of Redledge waterproof fleece with superwool if really cold and HH hypertech if really wet.

Cheers

SS

How do you find the Rivers west light for sweating?
I do not like my ?heavy? ones. I was looking at the light ones in Wholesale. but went XPO instead just because of the lack of breathing in my Rivers west.

I assume you still hunt our lovely Isand and dont just sit down in one spot all day.

Tenacious Billy
03-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Hoping to find some information on what you wear on your legs during different hunts. Obviously spring, summer and fall will be different. I would think layering is best. Do you have some favorite pants? I had a really nice fleece pant last year, and this year I bought some wool camo pants from Mark's WW. Usually I go with long johns, then a fleece and then a gortex shell. Does anyone have any really good hunting/hiking pants?

How much were the wool camos from Mark's? Are they 100% wool?

BiG Boar
03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Shell 60% reclaimed wool
40% unknown reclaimed fibers
Lining 100% cotton. (however there is no lining other than waistband and pockets.

$75 extra long

Sitkaspruce
03-21-2011, 01:04 PM
How do you find the Rivers west light for sweating?
I do not like my ?heavy? ones. I was looking at the light ones in Wholesale. but went XPO instead just because of the lack of breathing in my Rivers west.

I assume you still hunt our lovely Isand and dont just sit down in one spot all day.

I have the APF Outlaw pants and they are not hot at all. I really never sit for any great lenght of time, but I also don't hike that hard to get that warmed up here on the Island or anywhere, except up the Mt, but most of thise days are behind me......:wink:

But for waterprrof, toughness and stretch, they are the best for my $$$. And of it does get cool, then the superwool goes on underneath. I use the old guides pants for late season (Nov).

Cheers

SS

grizzlydueck
03-21-2011, 01:49 PM
If any of you want a real pants experience =buy a pair of cabela`s micotex 6 pocket pants! I wear the uninsulated ones year round =I have 4 pairs in my regular size- and a couple of larger sizes for late season so i can layer -and layer off if i get to hot hiking around ! They also have a microtex light pant -i also have a few pairs of that i wear for early bow season ! If you read the write up on the microtex and try them you will be a believer! The reg uninsulated are 60$ the lights are on sale right now for 40$ with so many great camo patterns to choose from -my favorite is the outfitter camo-I`m a guide -hunting most of the 3+ month season -shed hunting fanatic -prospector and I have yet to wear out the same pair with 3+yrs of use ! I have converted all of my hunting partners already ...wait till you try them !

akyne
03-21-2011, 02:17 PM
I wear a pair of Filson mackinaw wool pants for late season hunts. They are spendy, but IMO can't be beat.

Early season usually finds me stumbling around in Wranglers, which is fine if you're coming back to your truck at the end of the day, not so good if you're spending nights in the bush or dealing with any kind of weather.

Rainy mid-season on the coast I usually pull on a pair of lightweight Cabela's Gore-Tex pants over my two-layer Stanfield's. This combination keeps me dry without overheating.

fudge
03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
I use browning hells canyon love them and I also have a pair of sitka bibs. Both are good depending on the weather

kennyj
03-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Fleece. Add long underwear if its really cold, rain pants for heavy rain and wind.
kenny

Everett
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
If any of you want a real pants experience =buy a pair of cabela`s micotex 6 pocket pants! I wear the uninsulated ones year round =I have 4 pairs in my regular size- and a couple of larger sizes for late season so i can layer -and layer off if i get to hot hiking around ! They also have a microtex light pant -i also have a few pairs of that i wear for early bow season ! If you read the write up on the microtex and try them you will be a believer! The reg uninsulated are 60$ the lights are on sale right now for 40$ with so many great camo patterns to choose from -my favorite is the outfitter camo-I`m a guide -hunting most of the 3+ month season -shed hunting fanatic -prospector and I have yet to wear out the same pair with 3+yrs of use ! I have converted all of my hunting partners already ...wait till you try them !

Best bang for the buck in a hunting pant.

BiG Boar
03-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks for these suggestions guys. If you use some of these pants please just give a x2. I would like to know what the majority of people are using. So far so good on these suggestions. Man some of these pants are really frigin' expensive though.

BillyBull
03-21-2011, 07:37 PM
I used wool forever, then I started using the Sitka Ascent and 90% pants with some layering (base or thin/heavy long johns) depending on the weather conditions between (Sept +15 --- Dec -25) temps... and for me these pants have been great for deer, moose, grouse hunts.

wiggy
03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
I live in Sleeping Indians from Sept till Spring; best wool; for any of the brands your looking for hound ebay until you get a price you can live with. I got my latest indians for 150 not bad considering what they would cost you new

Blockcaver
03-21-2011, 07:52 PM
What Everett says about Microtex is accurate. It is a tough, quiet and comfortable fabric. Pants and shirts are almost indestructible and fit great. The first pair of pants got thin after 5 years of almost constant use bowhunting and chasing a crazed Vizsla in the pheasant fields.

ytlogger
03-21-2011, 08:01 PM
...real pants experience...?

snareman1234
03-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Browning wool after october 15....wranglers up til then

BiG Boar
03-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Browning wool after october 15....wranglers up til then

Spoken like a true cowboy.

What are you getting mounted BTW?

snareman1234
03-21-2011, 10:02 PM
My sheep in September :)

Or, my goat in October

Or, my 180 muley in November

In that order of priority as well :)

todbartell
03-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Sitka Ascent pants for those warm spring bear days or early season elk hunts. If its wet, you'll be soaked. Sitka 90% pants for the cooler days of September and October, Sitka Celsius bibs for the November hunts. Also got Rivers West Trail Pant for wet weather hunting with less walking, good for riding the quad like Fisher Dude. Browning XPO are good too but my ass wont fit into them anymore. Hopefully be wearing them by fall :D

BiG Boar
03-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Paid $320 for my sheep mount. You got one heck of a deal there.

Back to trousers. So far all these pant options look great. Keep em coming.

GoatGuy
03-22-2011, 01:31 PM
My sheep in September :)

Or, my goat in October

Or, my 180 muley in November

In that order of priority as well :)

That's a lot of packing. :mrgreen:

snareman1234
03-22-2011, 01:37 PM
That's a lot of packing. :mrgreen:

Ah you're tough tho, I'll take the heavy load next time b/c now I have a bigger pack

GoatGuy
03-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Ah you're tough tho, I'll take the heavy load next time b/c now I have a bigger pack

I think I'm just gonna leave the backpack at home from now on.

It'll take us a couple weeks to get over to where you'll be sheep hunting. :wink:

Dutch Ppoacher
03-23-2011, 09:24 PM
i have browning hypervent pants... never agian... i hate leeking pockets- nice for dry weather and hiking
also use wool pants, been the best choice since this country was explored in the...1800's?!?