PDA

View Full Version : keeping deboned meet cool

pupper
07-19-2006, 10:40 AM
When I go elk hunting this september and hypthetically say i get an elk and debone it, how do I keep the meet cool in early september?

here are some ideas that i thought of

-Bring a deep freeze and a generator along and put any meet I get in it.

-try to locate a freezer/meet cooler in town

-ice w/ coolers * I dont like this idea that much.

pupper

kishman
07-19-2006, 11:27 AM
With any luck it may be cool enough where your hunting for it not to be much of an issue:redface:

pupper
07-19-2006, 12:44 PM
With any luck it may be cool enough where your hunting for it not to be much of an issue:redface:

but then were do you put the meet?
on the ground? or in a cooler?

Jelvis
07-19-2006, 01:13 PM
What you have to do is protect the meat from blow flies, Use game meat bag and make sure it is sealed because the flies lay little white eggs all over especially in moist warm spots in folds of meat. Some one might know if you get the meat high enough the flies don"t fly above a certain height. Any way you could find an area in the shade by a creek too. Travel at night, it"s cooler and keep the meat apart debone for sure because you can get warm spots near bones and it seems cooler on the outside. Do not use any kind of wrap other than a game cloth mesh which you can get at a outdoor store. One other way to help is use course black pepper on the meat before putting the game bag over because the flies will find some entrance. After deboning you could use a big cooler or three and at home freeze two litre pop containers before going and put them in the coolers but I dont know all the variables on your hunt good luck I hope I helped you and Did"nt confuse you.

yote
07-19-2006, 02:33 PM
We made a cooler out of that blue foam and some plywood to bring our elk home from the East Kootenays once and it worked quite well. We put the ice in sealed bags and it was still cool when we got home, it was very hot that year, like most in the early season. Another time when we got a deer up there, we just had it cut and wrapped at the local butcher and took the meat home on coolers that we bought from Wally World.

huntwriter
07-19-2006, 02:41 PM
To be on the safe side I would take a cooler or two and plenty ice bags. If it is cool enough you can hang the meat up over night and then put it in the cooler. I would hang it until it is somewhat cooled down otherwise the warm meat will otherwise melt the ice and spoil.

oldtimer
07-19-2006, 05:15 PM
I like option 1 if you have the room and a big enough truck.

mark
07-19-2006, 05:27 PM
everytime we down a critter, we take em to town (butcher) no problems or worries (heat flies bears) on the way home its cut wrapped and frozen! goes in our coolers then straight to the freezers when home! No mess or headaches!

willyqbc
07-19-2006, 06:06 PM
large sealable tuff tubs.....meat in, close em up tight...stick em in a creekwith just the top sticking up above the water line. It will cool the meat quickly and keep the bugs off.

Chris

3kills
07-19-2006, 06:12 PM
i would said get it to a butcher and get itcut and wrapped as soon as u can....if not possible if u have the room a freezer with a generator is ur best....i also agree with jelvis about the cheese cloth and black pepper rub it on the meat before u put it in ur game bags and then rub some on the outside as well...i always keep black pepper in my hunting bag just for this reason only had to use it once though up in quesnal....

Deaddog
07-19-2006, 07:00 PM
we have always been able to hang our meat, however we generally start hunting after the 15th of sept for elk, that said I have found the "game bags" that are sold in most stores to be useless in keeping fly's out, we use cotton sheets sewn into large game bags, the weave is tight enough to keep the flys eggs out but still allow air in. Hanging the deboned meat in a shaded area, over a stream if possible gets the airflow going, on one hunt we did hit a hotspell and actually hung the meat in water(suspended off the bottom) we had it cut as soon as we hit town and the meat was fine.

JAGRMEISTER
07-20-2006, 09:14 AM
WRAP IT, SWING IT FROM A TREE AND USE LOTS OF PEPPER. COOLERS DO NOT ALLOW FOR ADEQUATE CIRCULATION AND CAN CAUSE SPOILAGE REALLY FAST. nEVER HAD A PROBLEM EVEN IN aUG/SEPT!

07-20-2006, 08:23 PM
I wonder if dry ice would work instead of ice in a cooler, maybe more so for transporting your fish. Have any of you tried it?

Sikanni Stalker
07-20-2006, 09:28 PM
where I hunt it is 3 hours from town but even out there if Iget one down it is worth the trip to the locker.I cut my own meat but the locker allowsme to get back to camp to clean up and maybe get a bear too.

pupper
07-21-2006, 04:49 PM
what about throwing it into a deep freeze?

and chris, where do you get those bags you speak of?

willyqbc
07-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Justin... tuff tubs are like a big industrial tupperware container....ask your charming wife what they are and she will probably know.

Chris

pupper
07-21-2006, 11:36 PM
oh, like rubbermaids.

so you just keep those in a creek so they stay cool. what about air flow and bears, I hear they figured out how to open up containers now.

pupper