PDA

View Full Version : Squamish Main Gong show

scoopy
03-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Went out to site in a new rifle yesterday in a safe spot off the Squamish main FSR. Quite busy with other shooters and fisherman, one fisherman even yelling from the river that the noise was pissing him off, and that I should move! (or something to that effect) Being a nice guy, I packed up, drove down the spur road and found a new spot, passing a few others looking for spots to shoot and hearing plenty of rifle fire along the way. I found a good, safe spot, finished getting the scope tuned, and packed up. At the end of the FSR I run into a big RCMP roadblock (4 trucks/cars) lights flashing, people pulled over. Apparently, there was a complaint of some shooters hanging targets in trees and shooting towards the river, with no consideration for where their bullets are landing once they have passed through the target. It really sucks when someone does this sort of thing, as it paints all hunters/shooters with the same brush stroke. If the complaint was valid, then I hope these fools loose their guns and licenses for good. Probably will think twice before I fish the Squamish again!!!!

PS> MAKE DAMN SURE YOU WHERE YOUR ROUNDS ARE LANDING WHEN YOU ARE TARGET SHOOTING!!!!!!

One Shot
03-20-2011, 12:19 PM
The main is always a zoo in the spring when things warm up with fishermen, hikers and shooters all vying for a piece of the little space available before everything thaws out.

Safety has to be of the most utmost concern and consideration before loading a firearm and pointing it towards a target. Unfortunately not every one understands or practices this.

I too hope that these yahoos get nailed.

Allen50
03-20-2011, 12:58 PM
do you guys not belong to a safe gun club to shoot at, don't blame the fisherman, for yelling, miles of road and all bunched up ,, hummmmm, and you don't want to be painted with the same brush,, go to a safe gun range,, and you will not have cops looking to see who you are,, once they got your name out in the woods they keep it on file to see if you go back, cause of loseing guns,,, that what you wan no guns to hunt with, with all the new rules one should becarfull where he shoots,,,

Peter Pepper
03-20-2011, 01:16 PM
do you guys not belong to a safe gun club to shoot at, don't blame the fisherman, for yelling, miles of road and all bunched up ,, hummmmm, and you don't want to be painted with the same brush,, go to a safe gun range,, and you will not have cops looking to see who you are,, once they got your name out in the woods they keep it on file to see if you go back, cause of loseing guns,,, that what you wan no guns to hunt with, with all the new rules one should becarfull where he shoots,,,

I'm not sure I understand the part about "to see if you go back, cause of loseing guns" I suppose if you're are on their bad list they might be looking for any infraction. But if it's ok to target shoot in the bush in a safe maner right? I'm a newbe so I just want to know what's kosher

RJ
03-20-2011, 01:24 PM

If you try to yell at me, it won't get you very far. Ask politely and might get a response. As long as you're shooting in a safe manner what are the cops going to do? What new rules? The woods are there for us to use, don't be afraid.

frenchbar
03-20-2011, 01:36 PM
and here i thought i lived in the land of rednecks:eek:

sky-gunner
03-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Lots of people who belong to a range still go to the bush to shoot, due either to range bans on semi autos, lack of a range length beyond 300meters, gong show ranges like poco. If your a safe shooter and play by the rules the cops can stop you 1000 times going in and out of the bush and can't legally do a thing. You have to break a law to loose your toys.

The Dude
03-20-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.svrgc.org/

How hard is that?
Really.
Join a club, support them and the BCWF. Not overly complicated.

frenchbar
03-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Lots of people who belong to a range still go to the bush to shoot, due either to range bans on semi autos, lack of a range length beyond 300meters, gong show ranges like poco. If your a safe shooter and play by the rules the cops can stop you 1000 times going in and out of the bush and can't legally do a thing. You have to break a law to loose your toys.

x2 ..problem is 9 out of 10 ARE yahoos...shooting the shit out of every thing and making and leaving a big fin mess:x

03-20-2011, 01:45 PM

Agree. Also Caliber limits with some ranges now. I noticed the Squamish range is limited to .338UM or less.

westwayshooter
03-20-2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.svrgc.org/

How hard is that?
Really.
Join a club, support them and the BCWF. Not overly complicated.

Thanks for the plug Dude.
Our membership runs from April 1 to Mar 31. New membership will not be open until the end of June except for local Squamoleans. Our charter requires us to be at least 50%+1 local membership, and renewing members have 1st option. We welcome all shooters and are only limited to semi auto 1 round per second, no rapid fire (it generates too many complaints.. some of the neighbours think it's full auto) and a maximum of 338 Ultra mag equivalent energy (Range inspector / Chief Firearms Officer's rules).

We have a 225 yd rifle range, a new 40 yd pistol range and will have a new trap range set up by the fall.

Scott

sky-gunner
03-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I would also like to add, that if your shooting in the bush, whatever you bring in to shoot, bring it home with you when your done. It does not make anybody look good when hikers, fisherman or whoever goes into the bush and find shot up propane bottles, washing machines and assorted other shot up stuff. Pack it in pack it out, especially since you more than likely got there in a truck.

Gateholio
03-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Shooting in the bush is legal if done safely, and there is nothing wring with it. I also wonder if any complaints were valid, it wouldn't be the first time someone who didn't like shooters or hunters made an "exaggerated" report about "dangerous" shooting or hunting....

scoopy
03-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Shooting in the bush is legal if done safely, and there is nothing wring with it. I also wonder if any complaints were valid, it wouldn't be the first time someone who didn't like shooters or hunters made an "exaggerated" report about "dangerous" shooting or hunting....

I was wondering that myself, but due to the amount of shot up crap out in the woods (propane bottles, tvs, bottles, ect...) I guess any complaint could be taken as reasonable cause to set up a road block. I also fish quite frequently, and enjoy it, but part of being in the woods is sharing it with others. One persons reason for being there is not better/more legal than another. I always shoot safely and have been reported before for doing so. When the police search my car and run all the numbers I am always on my way with all the guns I brought into the bush, one time to the utter horror of the complaining bystanders at the road check!!

fearnodeer
03-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I`ve got say join a club or respect other peoples options

Gateholio
03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
I shoot at our club all the time, and I shoot at home sometimes and I shoot on Crown Land regularly.

I don't leave a mess, do it safely and if someone doesn't like it I will be happy to explain to them that they may not like what I am doing and I may not like what they are doing, but if what they are doing is safe and legal I am not going to ask them to stop.

Wolfman
03-21-2011, 12:11 AM
The main is always a zoo in the spring when things warm up with fishermen, hikers and shooters all vying for a piece of the little space available before everything thaws out.

Safety has to be of the most utmost concern and consideration before loading a firearm and pointing it towards a target. Unfortunately not every one understands or practices this.

I too hope that these yahoos get nailed.

Well said.

I've experienced misplaced rounds zinging through the bush as guys were not watching where their shots were going. Its crazy and scary too!

seanps
03-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Speaking of: How much snow is on the Squamish Main these days? I see it's been above zero for the last week or two, with lots of rain.

Still driving -- unfortunately -- a 2WD car.

Last time I went up for a hike-around I had to snowshoe into the Ashlu Creek area.

WesHarm
03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
I wish North Van had a range again.... or i wish North Vancouverites counted as Squamish residents ;)

TheProvider
03-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Squamish main should be getting pretty good for driving, however I havent been down there since the fall, maybe venture out soon. Been very warm in squam past few weeks and lots of rain being called for this week. 30-40 from today till tomo.

@Wesharm, good luck north vans counting as squamish residents. I've lived in squamish for 2.5 years and they hassled me about not actually living here so I cancelled my application. I'd prefer to belong to a club or range that welcomes new members.

finngun
03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
problem cames too,when gun owner wants to learn longer than 200m. shooting...very seldom shooting range offers 300 m.or ---- longer area for shooting..unless range is army shooting range..what in usually no--go except for army personell......................................her e ,on the mainland it is much easier to find suitable area in bush,because we have lots of plain land without heavy forest..just make sure bakcround area stop your bullets.. no stray bullets wizzling around..

Squire
03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
The thing that bothers me about this is the individual's idea of a 'safe' background. Trees are not good enough unless you know without a doubt that no-one is walking in that forest. If you are on a forestry road then forestry workers may be walking in the bush. I have had to ask people to stop shooting into the woods where I knew forestry crews were doing layout or where I was going to be walking while evaluating timber. If a fisherman is within earshot on the Squamish then you are shooting right along the mainline. Hardly a safe place to shoot and hardly the way for shooting sports enthusiasts to make friends in the bush. If you are shooting in a gravel pit or somewhere with a high bank or steep hill as a background where you can see your bullets strike then by all means go for it. If you park alongside a main logging road travelled by fishermen, hikers, atvers, mountain bikers, dirt bikers etc.. and start blasting away then you are simply inviting conflict at best and putting others at risk at worst.

Fixit
03-29-2011, 12:45 PM
We have a 225 yd rifle range, a new 40 yd pistol range and will have a new trap range set up by the fall.

Scott
you guys have had skeet promised for fall for the past three years now.

westwayshooter
03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
@Wesharm, good luck north vans counting as squamish residents. I've lived in squamish for 2.5 years and they hassled me about not actually living here so I cancelled my application. I'd prefer to belong to a club or range that welcomes new members.

If you had a problem with registration, then there must have been some conflicting information on you application. We must verify all addresses as being actual addresses, as we are restricted by our charter (granted and regulated by the provincial government). I'm sorry if you feel you were hard done by, as we welcome all new members, especially locals. Our membership committee goes out of their way to try to accommodate people.

On another note, our maximum caliber is EQUIVALENT ENERGY of 338UM not just 338UM. Over 4600 ft. lbs. energy @ muzzle. You have to do the math. We work on the honour system, as we do not have anyone checking members as they come in.

westwayshooter
03-29-2011, 08:31 PM
you guys have had skeet promised for fall for the past three years now.

We are in the process of rebuilding the trap range now (trap, not skeet). The range was buried by Kiewit as they used it for their gravel making operations for the Sea to Sky Highway Project and left over a meter of overburden on it when they left. It has cost us over $7000 in machine rental costs plus volunteer labour to get to this point.

Now that spring is here, we are about to put the trap houses in and should have the range operational by this fall, We still must purchase the 2 new trap machines, so our final costs are going to be in the range of $20,000, not something we can afford all at one time.

Most of the construction is being done by volunteer members.

WS

Gateholio
03-29-2011, 08:50 PM
If there is a problem with a club run range, the best way to deal with it is to go to a meeting and sort it out in person. While you are there, be sure to volunteer for all the range work days. Membership fees don't make you a customer that can demand service, it means you are part of a volunteer run organization.

One Shot
03-29-2011, 09:26 PM
If there is a problem with a club run range, the best way to deal with it is to go to a meeting and sort it out in person. While you are there, be sure to volunteer for all the range work days. Membership fees don't make you a customer that can demand service, it means you are part of a volunteer run organization.

Well said, Thank you.........

Legi0n
03-29-2011, 09:41 PM
...At the end of the FSR I run into a big RCMP roadblock (4 trucks/cars) lights flashing, people pulled over. Apparently, there was a complaint of some shooters hanging targets in trees and shooting towards the river, with no consideration for where their bullets are landing once they have passed through the target...

And how is a roadblock useful in this case?