PDA

View Full Version : Question: Do The Biggest Mule Bucks Ever Show In Daylight?

Jelvis
07-18-2006, 08:12 PM
deleted----------------

dana
07-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Jelvis,
The biggest bucks never like coming out in openings during daylight hours. Only during the rut will the odd one let his guard down. The only way to kill them is to get in that thick crap and hunt. If you like reading books by the old timers, pick up How to Find Giant Bucks by Kirt Darner. Put all the BS aside that you may have ever heard about the man, there is no doubt the guy knows big bucks.

livingston
07-18-2006, 08:35 PM
My dad and I got our mulies last year in the open during daylight but we were in a really low pressure hunting area and earlier in the season.My dads buck was bedded in the open in a cut block grown up with about 4' alder trees,glassed the areas really well and found him:smile:

bigwhiteys
07-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Big bucks don't get big by being stupid. They know when hunting season comes around and they know where they "Shouldn't" be at that time.

As they get ruttier they get stupider and slip up and make mistakes. The mistakes they make are usually related to chasing tail I have found.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

mark
07-18-2006, 08:49 PM
I shot the booner in my avtar at 11:00 am, nov. 15. i was high on a ridge and spoted him in his bed in the thickest willow bottom bush imaginable! no human would ever walk there, was hell to get him out!! The way I understand it is, some deer are nocturnal, and some are day dwellers, the nocturnal deer live to be big! Also why ya see so many deer at night! Another note, i knew there was a good deer pop. where i shot my hog, but there was no sign of a huge buck in the area. (eg. big rubs)

BCrams
07-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Biggest bucks are in the timber. Sure you will find good bucks sometimes in the fields but the biggest bucks are in the timber or in rough terrain.

The fellow who shot the current number one mule deer is also an outfitter and he knows the biggest bucks are in the timber and if you want to be successful on big bucks, thats how and where you need to hunt them.

To answer the question ....

Go in after them ......... takes a mighty good hunter to pull out big timber bucks.

Bottom line is, you need to be able to adapt readily to different hunting conditions and methods that will increase your odds of putting the cross hairs on a big buck. All depends on the time of year, the weather, hunting pressure etc. etc..

Jelvis
07-18-2006, 09:36 PM

Walksalot
07-18-2006, 10:00 PM
I think it would be safe to say that most of the bigger mule deer are shot later in the season. This is because the bucks are in the rut and the majority of the animals are migrating from summer to winter ranges. Knowing these migration corridoors are a big advantage in harverting a deer of some significance.

bigwhiteys
07-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Knowing these migration corridoors are a big advantage in harverting a deer of some significance.

The breaks and terrain around some of the major rivers and creeks in muley areas are a good starting place I think.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Walksalot
07-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Actually, wait for the snow and look for the tracks. Still those big buggers are hard to harvest.

overthetop
07-18-2006, 10:17 PM
I have shot a big moose. I see more big moose than big deer. I want a big deer. I am going to try lumby and Falkland this deer. If only I could get my fat hunting buddy out of the truck more.

Bigbuckadams
07-19-2006, 05:16 AM
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said, we hunt almost exclusively on private property and although the first few days of the season, we do see some pretty nice bucks, we rarely see any real big deer "in the open" until the rut. We have seen a few wallhangers, never seen before, after the season closes when we are still chasing around the Whitetails.

mainland hunter
07-19-2006, 09:14 AM
the reut is definately the time to do it, last year i saw 3 nice ones that most would be pretty happy with at around 2 pm on back to back days, 2 were fighting and one washaving a disagreement with a tree. they were rutting and i managed to get really close, from 100yards i got into 20 or 30. its amazing how careless the rut can make em. unfortunately it was oct 28th in chetwynd and that means leave em be(we were hunting elk)
i have seen some big ones in the open during september too but that was mostly away from the roads and up high

Jelvis
07-22-2006, 09:02 PM
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Jelvis
05-10-2008, 02:50 PM
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

srupp
05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Kirt Darners book is loaded with wonderful info....Dana is absolutley right again..
Steven

silvicon
05-10-2008, 04:04 PM
i did manage to take a few big non-typical (200BC+-) mule deer over the years.
I ALWAYS hunt alone and use a grunt tube sparingly.
I always hunt the same area and know my way around. the past few years my hunting area is over run by yahoos in camo.
narry a deer shows his face since.

Jelvis
05-10-2008, 04:32 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

horshur
05-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Kirt's alright I saw one of his writings, not a Jack or a Jim but still seems to know what to write to sell magazines and books. I don't know if old Mr. Darner could keep up in this day and age. Finding trophy mule deer bucks in B.C. you need to walk a lot and go from morning to night. So Kirt can't help me in Region 3 cause he lives in Colorado. lol.
The cold white truth, friend-a-mine, with the hoof-print tracks of a mule deer exceeding four inches long and three and a half wide, hombre. Made in the darkness of night because he won't be walking in Memphis in the light of day. How long and far will your legs and lungs and brain allow you to follow those massive tracks? Your lower back tightening, your knees straining, your head pounding as you progress step by step to pay-load Amigo?
Are you ready to get the glutes in gear and climb across steep rocky slopes and struggle through big timber Jake? All the way down and across then back, Jack? Those are the questions you need to consider. Jelpal

It won't be far in distance but maybe in miles...alot of circles. He has you made maybe you get a glimpse probably not....can't think of many places I would rather be then on a fir ridge in November chasin old mossy horned mulie.....Jell I got a glimpse last day...he was bedded with 3 other 4 points they were on the edge he was in the timber...wait 30 minutes or longer sure felt longer hoping he will stand but he don't.....spike buck jumps up after the cold air sinks and takes the bucks with him which should have been in my favour except the wise old buck lets them go and sneaks out the back........he is still there unless Tom got him.

pupper
05-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Jelvis,
The biggest bucks never like coming out in openings during daylight hours. Only during the rut will the odd one let his guard down. The only way to kill them is to get in that thick crap and hunt. If you like reading books by the old timers, pick up How to Find Giant Bucks by Kirt Darner. Put all the BS aside that you may have ever heard about the man, there is no doubt the guy knows big bucks.

I just did some research online about this guy, is he as bad and unethical as he sounds. He was Indicted for darting and transporting trophy elk to his personal ranch in order to guide hunts for them. and here is some more bad press for him: http://www.hunts.net/darner13.html
appearantly he got this guy to ghost write his book and took credit for shooting someone elses buck: http://www.hunts.net/darner14.html
should I still read his book?

pupper
05-10-2008, 05:15 PM
His book is freekin expensive: http://www.amazon.ca/Find-Giant-Bucks-Kirt-Darner/dp/0961482109
$180 wow

brian
05-10-2008, 05:38 PM
As they get ruttier they get stupider and slip up and make mistakes. The mistakes they make are usually related to chasing tail I have found.

That describes pretty much every guy I know!

Paulyman
05-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I have shot a big moose. I see more big moose than big deer. I want a big deer. I am going to try lumby and Falkland this deer. If only I could get my fat hunting buddy out of the truck more.

Have you told him he's fat yet,sometimes fat people don't know they're fat.If you tell him he may do something about it:?:

Jelvis
05-10-2008, 06:02 PM
===============

hunter1947
05-11-2008, 05:24 AM
I have seen and shot big mule deer at mid day in some cases ,this usually accrues in the rut ,you never know when you will see a hog of a mule deer at any given time when in the rut. In the early part of the year they are harder to find because they are not love sick.

Jelvis
05-11-2008, 09:51 AM
ooooooooooooooooo