PDA

View Full Version : COs tracking moose poacher

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2011, 11:42 AM
COs tracking moose poacher

By Judie Steeves - Kelowna Capital News
Published: March 19, 2011 5:00 AM

A pregnant cow moose was poached off McCulloch Road late Wednesday and conservation officers are looking for any information that might help them track down the culprits.

Conservation officer Ed Seitz said the remains were discovered by someone driving by about 11:30 a.m. Thursday.

The poacher didn’t remove all the meat which Seitz says leads him to suspect he was in a hurry to get away from the site.

The moose and its unborn fetus were found about 50 metres off the road just past km 13 on the road, between the turnoffs to Myra Forest Service Road and the road in to Browne Lake.

Tracks in the snow at the side of the road indicate at least one adult and possibly two were involved in the kill, said Seitz.

If you have any information that might be helpful in tracking down the poacher, contact the CO service, toll-free, any hour of the day, at 1-877-952-7277.

oldschoolguy
03-19-2011, 12:20 PM
buncha sick ******s

peashooter
03-19-2011, 12:33 PM
that's enough to piss a guy off. hope someone saw something. high traffic on that road with x country skiing and some residence year round.

Jelvis
03-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Had to be one desperate person, tick loaded, skinny from winter, low meat protein level at this time of year. You couldn't give me a steak from that.
Probably has (at least) a thousand ticks on it now. Skinnier than you could believe.

bforce750
03-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Do you think it could have been FN. In this case ?

Wolfman
03-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Whoever did it I hope that they get nailed

CanuckShooter
03-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Do you think it could have been FN. In this case ?

It might have been an alien...what a dumb question......:roll:

ruger#1
03-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Who ever it was, Needs the book thrown at them.

cariboo crawler
03-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Find 'em & hang 'em.
OOPS, guess I'm not supposed to say that!!!!!

bforce750
03-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Are you calling me dumb? Thats not very nice :roll: I doubt this tops most of your posts :-)

CanuckShooter
03-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Are you calling me dumb? Thats not very nice :roll: I doubt this tops most of your posts :-)

Not calling you dumb:eek:, just saying it's a dumb question with little to no relevance on the poaching incident. Because someone poaches a moose and leaves edible meat behind you think FNs should be considered prime suspects???:icon_frow What would lead you to that observation??? There was no report of mocassin tracks in the snow?

phoenix
03-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Not calling you dumb:eek:, just saying it's a dumb question with little to no relevance on the poaching incident. Because someone poaches a moose and leaves edible meat behind you think FNs should be considered prime suspects???:icon_frow What would lead you to that observation??? There was no report of mocassin tracks in the snow?
Maybe he was implying that it might have been legal if a FN person did it and thus not a poaching incident at all. Just my guess as to how to interpret his statement.
Kim

rides bike to work
03-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Probably trying to put meat in the freezer before its all contaminated with radioative waste from japan

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Speculation was far from dumb in this case.

CanuckShooter
03-19-2011, 04:13 PM
There are no tick problems on Okanagan moose. What a dumb question.

There IS an Indian rez about 3 km down the road. Speculation was far from dumb in this case.

Bigot alert!!! Big Bigot.....ding ding ding ding ding.....

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Who knows, coulda been someone pissed off that he can't get an LEH. 8-)

Pioneerman
03-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Maybe he was implying that it might have been legal if a FN person did it and thus not a poaching incident at all. Just my guess as to how to interpret his statement.
Kim

THat is what I thought he meant and not intending to accuse anyone just asking if maybe FN took it and maybe not poaching issue. Still not good that any part of the animal was left either way

Trapper D
03-19-2011, 04:33 PM
maybe everybody should have to post a passport size photo up to date on there avatar, might cut down on the bs posts.

Wolfman
03-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Who knows, coulda been a half breed too, pissed off that he can't get an LEH or a status card. 8-)

Geez, now Métis are included too? Man, I am an Aboriginal person and I have zero claims or rights. Doesn't make me a poacher either.

I hate poachers - of any race or culture.

Just sayin....

CanuckShooter
03-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Who knows, coulda been a half breed too, pissed off that he can't get an LEH or a status card. 8-)

ding ding ding ding Bigot Alarm....ding ding ding ding....not surprising really from the Gestapho.....

urbanhermit
03-19-2011, 04:41 PM
i'm thinking bigfoot

elkdom
03-19-2011, 04:46 PM
50 yards from the ROAD ?? probably saved someone an Insurance claim, or even worse, personal injuries,,,

chilcotin hillbilly
03-19-2011, 05:40 PM
I would guess FN as well, this is typical to the Chilcotin area anyways. If it drops right on the road then they may take the rest of it for dog food.

300H&H
03-19-2011, 05:44 PM

Pull up your "big girl panties" & toughen up. :biggrin:

300H&H
03-19-2011, 05:47 PM
ding ding ding ding Bigot Alarm....ding ding ding ding....not surprising really from the Gestapho.....

Ooooooo......thems fight'n wurdz.

Get the popcorn, this could be good.

One Shot
03-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Lets leave comments or suggestions about FNs out of the the discusion.

Singleshotneeded
03-19-2011, 06:11 PM
I agree with One Shot, not surprisingly since I'm Single Shot, lol, I just hope that the culprits are found and are fined big time, and have their firearms confiscated...and sold at auction cheaply so some REAL hunter gets a good deal! :-)

jetboat jim
03-19-2011, 07:02 PM
for our local summer run steelhead rivers we use trail camera's for poachers, it always suprises me , what I see......at least you know who's doing it !

Big Lew
03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
i'm thinking bigfoot
Yup, should have left it be, and set up some trail cams...maybe it'll be back later for the rest!

Jelvis
03-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Why dint the CO's use a magnet and get the spent bullet to study for rifling marks.
Take tire prints? Take dna sample if they want a conviction.
Jel .. CSI .. Some detective work .. etc ..

aj1493
03-19-2011, 08:45 PM
******s there are tons of hoose that winter in that area. i hope the rutards get what they deserve

Pioneerman
03-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Why dint the CO's use a magnet and get the spent bullet to study for rifling marks.
Take tire prints? Take dna sample if they want a conviction.
Jel .. CSI .. Some detective work .. etc ..

My magnets don't work on copper or lead, but I am sure a metal detector would. Kind of hard to find the gun to match though

Jelvis
03-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Word of mouth, undercover covert operation, would find these perps in a week or two.
Jp .. Deep cover ..

fearless
03-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Lets leave comments or suggestions about FNs out of the the discusion.

thank you. :neutral:

Wolfman
03-19-2011, 10:48 PM
for our local summer run steelhead rivers we use trail camera's for poachers, it always suprises me , what I see......at least you know who's doing it !

I bet you see some *real* interesting things on your cam footage!

Have you ever assisted the CO's with the use of this footage?

TherealSLYFOX
03-20-2011, 12:00 AM
thank you. :neutral:

We shouldn't exclude anyone from discussion white,black,FN, whatever who ever is responible should be held accountable hahakinda sound like a poet

carnivore
03-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Could have been a hillbilly that done it.

dave_fras
03-20-2011, 08:18 AM
gotta have some balls to be doin that on mcculloch road!... theres a ton of traffic of there! and if it was fn wouldnt they take the whole thing?

bcyukonair
03-20-2011, 08:26 AM

they dont wear mocassins anymore

bcyukonair
03-20-2011, 08:37 AM
gotta have some balls to be doin that on mcculloch road!... theres a ton of traffic of there! and if it was fn wouldnt they take the whole thing?

fn's would have definately taken the fetus not necessrliy the rest see it up here quite often (dease lk country)

jetboat jim
03-20-2011, 09:23 AM
I bet you see some *real* interesting things on your cam footage!

Have you ever assisted the CO's with the use of this footage?

the footage is kept to me and a few key people, I would love to post photo's.... BUT, these scumbags have the law on thier side...it kinda rides the legal line but if they dont know whats going on.
this info is not used to BUST them but used for the future, like knowing a certian guy drives a red ford thats really rusty, then a CO driving around see's a "red ford thats really rusty" he can go in and check it out ! Its a real crap shoot for the CO's if they dont know what they are looking for.
but the cameras give some clues to who's doing it.
the big thing will be this spring when most of the rivers are closed.......

sorry for the thread hyjack......

hunter1947
03-21-2011, 01:40 AM
I hope they find who did this and deal with them I hate poachers..

bforce750
03-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Sorry you took it that way, my point was...what if it wasn't poaching and the animal was legaly taken by FN's and they didnt get a chance to grab the rest because his bicycle rack wasn't big enough.

bforce750
03-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Kim

You got it:wink:

Craven200
03-21-2011, 12:24 PM
There are no tick problems on Okanagan moose. What a dumb question.

There IS an Indian rez about 3 km down the road. Speculation was far from dumb in this case.

There's a reserve? or just FN land?...I didn't think there were any FN community near there.

Fisher-Dude
03-21-2011, 12:33 PM
It's a full-blown rez now.

USED to be some good whitetail hunting in that area late in the season. Not now. :-|

one-shot-wonder
03-21-2011, 12:55 PM
There's a reserve? or just FN land?...I didn't think there were any FN community near there.

I.R. #12 aka Medicine creek reserve

Gateholio
03-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Perhaps someone of mixed white/native ancestry could give us the "politically correct" word to use instead of "half breed?" Metis isn't always correct, IIRC, as that is someone with specific French bloodlines as well....

Then we can discontinue the use of the term "half breed" at HBC.

thanks

Whonnock Boy
03-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Perhaps someone of mixed white/native ancestry could give us the "politically correct" word to use instead of "half breed?"

thanks

Canadian. :eek:

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Perhaps someone of mixed white/native ancestry could give us the "politically correct" word to use instead of "half breed?" Metis isn't always correct, IIRC, as that is someone with specific French bloodlines as well....

thanks

What do you call someone that is half Chinese and half Irish?
What do you call someone that is half German and half French?

Halfbreed is a term commonly used in animal husbandry.....and it's a term that was historically applied to people with mixed native indian and non native ancestry.....it is not an endearing term.....

Context...take a little time and study the 'context' in which you have seen the term applied...is it meant to be belittling and derogatory...or is it meant to be descriptive?? When I see it coming from someone who posts pictures directly tied to nazi germany it helps me determine the context...how about you??

Canadian works for me.:-D

Gateholio
03-23-2011, 08:08 AM
[/QUOTE]Canadian works for me.:-D[/QUOTE]

Canadian. :eek:

Canadian would be fine for me, for all people of Canada, but our government and legal systems are set up to give special privileges based on race. We can't have the special privileges without defining who gets them, so what is the name used to define the people that are of mixed native and "other" background?

Is there a term?

Gun Dog
03-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Halfbreed is a term commonly used in animal husbandry...Not around here. It's either mixed breed (if by accident) or part bred (if on purpose).

Squamch
03-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Hope they nail the *******s, then hang em high.

troutseeker
03-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Do you mean the Mexican fruit pickers? I thought they had all gone home once it got cold...

troutseeker
03-23-2011, 08:51 AM

thanks

Yeah, please! I've heard natives themselves insult other natives by calling them Oreo's, is that acceptable?

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Canadian works for me.:-D[/QUOTE]

Canadian would be fine for me, for all people of Canada, but our government and legal systems are set up to give special privileges based on race. We can't have the special privileges without defining who gets them, so what is the name used to define the people that are of mixed native and "other" background?

Is there a term?[/QUOTE]

Our government doesn't really define people like those you describe. The Canadian Constitution defines Canadas aboriginal peoples as Indian, Inuit, and Metis.....anyone else isn't aboriginal under Sec. 35.

There is some mention under Bill C-31, that extends aboriginal rights to 'status' for several generations...but I cannot recall what they call each successive generation?? I think it was something like C-1,C-2,C-3...but I may be totally out to lunch on that.??

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah, please! I've heard natives themselves insult other natives by calling them Oreo's, is that acceptable?

No, it's not, by todays standards. :wink: I was talking about Martians.:-D