PDA

View Full Version : scope dilema, what would you do?

martyonthewater
03-19-2011, 10:34 AM
So I have a decision to make. I have a browning a-bolt medallion chambered in 7mm-08, it had a nikon 1.5-4.5 scope mounted when I bought it which I have removed and kept for future consideration. I also have an older leupold 2-7 vari x2 scope that is a little scratched up but has served me well. To top it all off I have a pocket full of cash that I could easily turn into a brand new scope as well. My dilema is whether to buy a new scope or just send my old leupy off to alberta for a set of new lenses thus giving it new life and hopefully increased brightness . I guess what im looking for here is your opinions of what would be the best move. I am thoroughly impressed with the clarity of the nikon and was surprised at how much brighter it is than my old leuplold but I want a little more magnification on this particular rifle than the 4.5 it offers. Do you think brand new lenses will bring the leupy up to par with the nikon in terms of clarity and brightness? Thanks in advance-Marty

gerrygoat
03-19-2011, 10:45 AM
I would send the Leupold for new lenses or offer it up for trade or sale on the classifeds for a different scope with brighter lenses I doubt you would have much trouble trading or selling the Leupold as long as the price is fair.

Steeleco
03-19-2011, 10:54 AM
There's a very good VX1 3x9x40 in the hunting gear section this morning. Buy that, do as Gerry suggest and send the 2x7 for a "tune up". Save the Nikon for a grouse gun!!

When you get the scope you want, drop by, I've a Bushnell Collimator and can get you set on zero for that first range trip.

martyonthewater
03-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys, I guess i should mention that I want to mount a relatively compact scope so the whole 3-9 type format is out the window. I really like the 2-7 platform as it offers both good magnification when required yet is still not too bulky. The nikon will definately be going on something in the future, do you think 45-70 is big enough for grouse? 8)

BCBRAD
03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys, I guess i should mention that I want to mount a relatively compact scope so the whole 3-9 type format is out the window. I really like the 2-7 platform as it offers both good magnification when required yet is still not too bulky. The nikon will definately be going on something in the future, do you think 45-70 is big enough for grouse? 8)

Only if you modify the case (shorten) to accommodate a 500gr Hornaday @ 1100fps. And remember to place shots with precison.

martyonthewater
03-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Only if you modify the case (shorten) to accommodate a 500gr Hornaday @ 1100fps. And remember to place shots with precison.
dead centre on the chest im guessing lol:biggrin:

Phreddy
03-19-2011, 12:22 PM
dead centre on the chest im guessing lol:biggrin:
Yep. That'll pluck, dress, and partially cook it all in one action alright.:biggrin:

todbartell
03-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I'd call and get a quote on what new lenses would be first, also factor in $15-20 freight each way..........

If it was me I'd buy a new VXII 3-9x40 w/ LR duplex for $419 and go shooting. LR duplex makes shooting 300-400 yards alot easier than 'aiming high'

Hank Hunter
03-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Have you looked at the VX3 2.5x8. A really nice scope and fairly compact

martyonthewater
03-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Have you looked at the VX3 2.5x8. A really nice scope and fairly compact
Oh ive looked alright. Have nothing against brand new just wondering if I really need another mid sized scope. $180 gets me new lenses and insured shipping taxes in.

todbartell
03-19-2011, 08:45 PM
$180 ain't bad - do it! build some more memories with that ol scope :D

martyonthewater
03-22-2011, 04:32 PM
So i just got an email back from Korthe in Alberta telling me that new lenses in my scope will take it back to original condition circa 1980 when it was made. Must admit, I kinda thought there would be some sort of advancements in coatings etc that would bring it a little closer to the type of stuff you can buy today. I'm not looking to get something for nothing I was just surprised to hear there would be no difference in the glass after 30 yrs.

BCBRAD
03-22-2011, 05:31 PM
sell 2x7 as is for 150-200 bucks and get the new leupold for 419 bucks.....new scope similar price