PDA

View Full Version : Mulie antler on your truck

mnholt
03-19-2011, 12:59 AM
thoughts on zap strapping a set of mulie antlers to the top rack of my Ford PSD?

thinking I should strap my mulie antlers on to the top of my Ford Power stroke and take a cruise down Robson st Vancouver to remind all the vegie/safeway eaters what their grandfathers had to do to sustain life. Am I going over board or are we under represented?

thx

lip_ripper00
03-19-2011, 01:08 AM
the way I read this "I have a small penis and I am going to show them city folk I gots a diesel, don't need it but I can.

hunter1947
03-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Do it you got nothing to loose by doing this you might get a few FU fingers now and then..

The Dude
03-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Well any or all of the following can happen:

You get a few thumbs up, a few one-fingered salutes and some stares.
You get the things stolen when you go into FourBucks for your Caramel macchiato.
Your truck gets keyed, or tires deflated.
You get a ticket for having a sharp protrusion from the front of your truck. Danger to pedestrians, etc. (There's some obscure law like that, IIRC)
or nothing.....
But have at 'er! :-)

landphil
03-19-2011, 02:36 AM
You get a ticket for having a sharp protrusion from the front of your truck. Danger to pedestrians, etc. (There's some obscure law like that, IIRC)

Or ticked for an insecure load as those zap straps are not load rated.:eek::biggrin:

03-19-2011, 03:23 AM
2 words come to mind...Red Neck

Ozone
03-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Neither of my grandfathers had the hardship of having to drive fords

Allen50
03-19-2011, 05:30 AM
well i think this could get the Co's looking for you, and would only caus this site greaf, as your driveing around making people up set about seeing the rack on your truck,might be diffrent in hunting season, but this time of year just gets all the wrong ideas going we as hunters do not need, just my though thoe,, why draw attension to your self as a hunter,

bc cooker
03-19-2011, 06:50 AM
I agree with the Dude, you're looking for trouble. I think that is probably going overboard......especially on Robson!!! Although that would be funny, don't think the timing is right seeing the current situation on how hunters are viewed. I know it's tempting and I would love to see some of the reactions, bad timing in my opinion.....my 2 bits!!!

Cariboo Game Calls
03-19-2011, 06:51 AM
I haven't been subscribing to this site very long, however this has to be about the dumbest suggestion yet. This sort of immature action would be exactly what the anti-hunting crowd would love to see. Why not just park your rig downtown Vancouver and sell P.I.T.A memberships because that is what you would be accomplishing.

I'm all for doing something productive to help hunters retain our hunting privledges, but we need to ensure our actions don't end up being counter productive. The only thing you are likely to remind the city dwelling "vegie/safeway eaters" about is Walt Disneys' Bambi.

My answer to your question is, yes you are going overboard, and yes we are under represented. That is part of the reason why there is an organization called the Resident Hunters' Association of British Columbia attempting to get a voice in the MOE decision making process by forming several branches of its association in the various hunting regions of BC.

If you want to do something productive donate some money and/or buy a membership and get involved in one or more of the organizations that are trying to protect our hunting privledges.

bearhunter338-06
03-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Me and my buddy put a dried up cow pie on the spare tire of his truck, mounted on the front bumper. Drove through the canyon with it. Now that was some high speed shite....:-)

Weatherby Fan
03-19-2011, 07:08 AM
You can hardly see Mule Deer antlers if your looking for a response maybe wait a few weeks until you can strap a whole bear to the hood and parade around downtown :eek:

Really nothing to accomplish by being antagonistic to the anti hunting world,when I took the CORE course 29 yrs ago it was a 2 week course and they taught us about ethics and respect as well as about hunting,not to mention promoting a quality image for hunter's amongst the publics eye.

As stated in some of the other posts there are better ways to promote a positive spin on hunting.:wink:

WF

fowl language
03-19-2011, 07:16 AM
the bcwf has 38,000 members and represents the resident hunter and angler.why not get involved in your region and work toward something positive as opposed to the other...fowl

knighthunter
03-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Good or bad, It'll get you your 1 minute of fame as I'm sure someone will video it and put it on u-tube. Personally, I don't see it as being a positive spin on hunter's.

elkdom
03-19-2011, 08:48 AM
a few people may think your cool ?

a few people may think your an idiot ?

the MAJORITY of people wont even notice,,,

BCsniper
03-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Obviously it is different in parts of the country as my brother had a '89 celebrity station wagon that was maroon in color. While in university he bolted the entire skull and rack to the front of his car after hunting season. In the month of December he drove around with a red christmas hat. Got a few different looks but the people mostly waved, smiled and laughed and took pictures as he drove by.

Definitely had something to do with the wrong car being outfitted with the driver. He did it when he was 18. Now he is guiding and outfitting and his truck is in great shape, looks sharp, his equipment is organized and he is professional about what he does and represents the image of what the sport deserves.

To each their own, but BC is definitely different and I would tend to agree that the negative stereo type of the hunter doesn't need reinforcing.

But if I have a picture of that old car I will definitely post it.

.330 Dakota
03-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Well I think its a great idea especially if the Gay Pride Parade is on that day. Dont forget to put Super Dave Suzuki's picture in between the antlers though.

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Do it! Drill four 3/8" holes through the hood and use those heavy black zap straps. Get an a-oooooooooogaaaa air horn and mount it on the roof of the truck too, and if people aren't looking, honk that bad boy a few times. You can get a confederate flag rear window liner. Take your muffler off and put on a blue bottle.

The options are endless. I think it's a great idea! 8-)

PS - the duct tape looks tacky - use the zap straps to keep a clean look. :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Hood_ornament.jpg/800px-Hood_ornament.jpg

03-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Sure, why not, play the Rodeo song loud while your at it.

Be proud of your Hunting Heritage.

CT

Heavy Metal
03-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Fuel isnt cheap, sounds like a waste of fuel and a day to me. Why not head to robson and enjoy the day in the city. Have a couple drinks and relax, maybe meet someone that lives there and have an actual conversation about hunting and the positive impact it has on B.C. I find it funny/ stupid when hunters go around doing things like that, hunting is and hopefully will always be part of b.c 's heritage no need to make yourself and other hunters look like a bunch of rednecks. Have some class.

bforce750
03-19-2011, 10:44 AM
thoughts on zap strapping a set of mulie antlers to the top rack of my Ford PSD?

thinking I should strap my mulie antlers on to the top of my Ford Power stroke and take a cruise down Robson st Vancouver to remind all the vegie/safeway eaters what their grandfathers had to do to sustain life. Am I going over board or are we under represented?

thx

Don't forget the set of nuts dangling from your receiver :roll:

308Lover
03-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Sorry if you miss your home in Tennessee. That's gotta suck. Harder to find them rebel flags here too. Good luck with the antlers. Tell the kids you shot Rudolph, so we won't have to buy so much Christmas junk.

buckshot
03-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Excellent idea MN! You owe it to yourself to do that! I would make sure the Ford is covered with mud. I'd have a few empty cans of Lucky rolling around the box also. Wear your best camo and your favorite beer ball cap for the event! Ataboy...

finngun
03-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Excellent idea MN! You owe it to yourself to do that! I would make sure the Ford is covered with mud. I'd have a few empty cans of Lucky rolling around the box also. Wear your best camo and your favorite beer ball cap for the event! Ataboy...

what about couple real bulletholes in a box too??
might raise somebodys eye browns..:lol:

tim3500
03-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Dude you have toooooo much time on your hands

goatdancer
03-20-2011, 03:18 PM
You will miss your big chance if you don't do it on Suzuki day. Just think of the media coverage you will get if you call the TV stations and tell them when the 'event' will occur. I will make a point of watching the news that day. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Gateholio
03-20-2011, 03:41 PM
I've seen longhorn steer horn, deer, moose and elk antlers and probably a few other things attached to vehicles. It's really not that big of a deal, nor is it veryinteresting to most people.

fearnodeer
03-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Don`t do it people would like to slam us so if you do you are just adding the fuel to the fire

Will
03-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Just about every shed and garage around here has a set of old bleached out antlers on it(moose/deer etc.)
How dare these shameless homeowners offend the non hunting carnivores amongst us ! Better go tell everyone to take them down and hide them in the basement.

I say go ahead and do it if it makes you smile! Time to stop worrying about all the PC crap:roll:

Hiding harvested game and firearms from the public has done absolutely nothing to "improve" our image to those that don't approve of such things.

AB90
03-20-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm fairly new to hunting. It was the people with the interesting stories, amazing experiences and eyeopening information to tell that have convinced me of the great things hunting has to offer.

Not the guys burning gas around town with animal parts hanging from there vehicles.

I think lots of people need an eye-opener about hunting and have the wrong idea about hunters. Not the greatest way to prove them wrong.

PS I would assume its a real big turn off to the women, hunters or not.:grin:

Gateholio
03-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Heck, you can even buy them....

http://www.ovcart.com/images/inventory/14463.1711.full.jpg

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/06/truck-antlers-thumb.jpg

moose2
03-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Here Gate you might as well add these on as well .
Mike
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Truck_Nutz.jpg

steelheadSABO
03-20-2011, 10:40 PM
I'd say put a moose shoulder mount on the grill of your truck

Tenacious Billy
03-20-2011, 11:14 PM

thx

Hey man, who cares if you're going overboard.........like someone else already pointed out - compliment the antlers with a giant nut sac hangin' off your hitch receiver and you'll be the cock-of-the-walk....can I also suggest trying to incorporate the beloved "Calvin Pissing" sticker somehow??

Cariboo Game Calls
03-21-2011, 07:55 AM
“If we encourage stupidity, we will only have ourselves to blame for the eventual demise of our recreational hunting opportunities”

Ambush
03-21-2011, 08:54 AM
“If we encourage stupidity, we will only have ourselves to blame for the eventual demise of our recreational hunting opportunities”

While stupidity is definitely bad for the hunter's image, hiding it has been more detrimental. There are idiots in every sport or activity and they are overlooked by the average citizen and regarded as the misfits they are.

We have become SO sensitive to other's sensitivities that we go over board to avoid offending them. Now we cautiously sneak our guns out to the truck and if returning home with an animal, we leave it under wraps until dark so we can sneak it into the garage, unseen. All we have succeeded in doing is turning the sight of a normal, legitimate activity into some thing that should be practiced in secret.

Loading your hunting gear, in your drive way, shouldn't turn any more heads than loading your golf bag.
I'm not saying you should go through the drive through or park at the mall with a dead, bloody carcass hanging over the open tailgate, BUT being overly "discreet" has cost us the acceptance that we used to enjoy.

My hunting partner won a whitetail hunt last fall in Buffalo County Wisconsin. After he and his host had gotten their deer, they loaded the deer into his truck, tailgate down, and went to WalMart to get some hunting gear. Every store and gas station has walls of treestands, trail cams and hunting gear. When they came out there was a small crowd gathered, admiring the bucks and congratulating the hunters. The local pub has heads on the wall and a bow/gun raffle. Hunting is mainstream and normal because it's kept that way. Even non-hunters are just naturally interested in big bucks. It's just as normal for a non-hunter to look at a nice deer as it is for the non-golfer to be impressed by his golfing neighbour's hole-in-one.

We blew it here by treating our activity as something that SHOULD be hidden from view. We are not child molesters!! There are all kinds of groups that are "taking back the streets, etc. " and they do that by being very public.

Time to go back to being main steam or loose it all together. Go public. Be seen. Don't slink. Don't apologize for hunting, talk to people about it. I have a neighbour and a co worker who were anti hunting. They are not now. The co-worker even gives me game reports from his dirt biking excursions. The neighbour that used to look aghast when I came out in camo carrying a bow, now asks what I'm hunting today and wishes me luck.

I'm old enough that I'll be able to hunt until I physically can't. You younger guys better turn the tide now or your going to have to get used to lawn bowling and bird watching as your outdoor activities.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-21-2011, 09:14 AM
I think you might attract more attention with something like this.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach%3Btopic=132831.0%3Battac h=66987%3Bimage

SSS

ThinAir
03-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Well, once again Ambush sums it up..... perfectly.

WesHarm
03-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Ambush, I will take that to heart. :D

BCsniper
03-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Well put Ambush... you're a word-smith. ;)

Gateholio
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
While stupidity is definitely bad for the hunter's image, hiding it has been more detrimental. There are idiots in every sport or activity and they are overlooked by the average citizen and regarded as the misfits they are.

We have become SO sensitive to other's sensitivities that we go over board to avoid offending them. Now we cautiously sneak our guns out to the truck and if returning home with an animal, we leave it under wraps until dark so we can sneak it into the garage, unseen. All we have succeeded in doing is turning the sight of a normal, legitimate activity into some thing that should be practiced in secret.

Loading your hunting gear, in your drive way, shouldn't turn any more heads than loading your golf bag.
I'm not saying you should go through the drive through or park at the mall with a dead, bloody carcass hanging over the open tailgate, BUT being overly "discreet" has cost us the acceptance that we used to enjoy.

My hunting partner won a whitetail hunt last fall in Buffalo County Wisconsin. After he and his host had gotten their deer, they loaded the deer into his truck, tailgate down, and went to WalMart to get some hunting gear. Every store and gas station has walls of treestands, trail cams and hunting gear. When they came out there was a small crowd gathered, admiring the bucks and congratulating the hunters. The local pub has heads on the wall and a bow/gun raffle. Hunting is mainstream and normal because it's kept that way. Even non-hunters are just naturally interested in big bucks. It's just as normal for a non-hunter to look at a nice deer as it is for the non-golfer to be impressed by his golfing neighbour's hole-in-one.

We blew it here by treating our activity as something that SHOULD be hidden from view. We are not child molesters!! There are all kinds of groups that are "taking back the streets, etc. " and they do that by being very public.

Time to go back to being main steam or loose it all together. Go public. Be seen. Don't slink. Don't apologize for hunting, talk to people about it. I have a neighbour and a co worker who were anti hunting. They are not now. The co-worker even gives me game reports from his dirt biking excursions. The neighbour that used to look aghast when I came out in camo carrying a bow, now asks what I'm hunting today and wishes me luck.

I'm old enough that I'll be able to hunt until I physically can't. You younger guys better turn the tide now or your going to have to get used to lawn bowling and bird watching as your outdoor activities.

Bravo, well done, bang on, excellent.

Quickest way to make the public distrust you is to hide from them, and hunters have ben doing that for decades, with the expected results. Time to turn the worm....

moose2
03-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Well said Ambush
Up here in Fort St John it is kind of like the " Buffalo County " you mentioned. Hunting is very accepted here and a part of alot of peoples lives. It is common to see antlers on many shed roofs and in gardens all over town. Also during the season alot of the resturaunt lunch tables have people in camo sitting at them. If someone has something in there truck there is a tailgate meeting over that as well. This is part of what I love about living in the North. I think you are totally right in us supporting and being proud of the legal sport we take part in , and we have nothing to hide.
Thanks for your great post.
Mike

behemoth
03-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Great post Ambush, except that mounting antlers to your truck (during off season) and driving down Robson is hardly part of our "hunting heritage"

WesHarm
03-21-2011, 02:08 PM
i feel like i should save Ambush's wonderful word smithing abilities and it should be seen by all new hunters :) maybe then It will become more accepted... i'm still working on my parents to accept it as a legal and legitimate way of obtaining a food source :)

Peter Pepper
03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Ya know guys, I didn't even know hunters still existed on Van island untill I found this site. And I've allways been an outdoors guy, charter fishing guide ect. I'm over 30 and just taking my CORE. I've allways wanted to hunt, but as all you guys seem to be in hidding I never could get introduced to it. So thanks to this website, I will become a responisible hunter, and have a nice oudoor activity for the non-fishing season. Now I've found a couple hunters my age but they are few and far between. I think Ambush is right. Hiding in shame helps nobody. So ya expect to see a black Mazda with a mulie rack in Nanaimo soon.
And if they ever ban hunting, or fishing well they could ban breathing too.
I won't stop

03-21-2011, 03:02 PM

Rod, you should send that piece to BC Outdoors, Outdoor Edge, Wild Sheep, etc, as a letter to the editor, or maybe even expand it into a feature article. I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble getting an article like that published. Extremelly well written and a critical message to hunters at this point in our history. Way to go...!

Gateholio
03-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Ya know guys, I didn't even know hunters still existed on Van island untill I found this site. And I've allways been an outdoors guy, charter fishing guide ect. I'm over 30 and just taking my CORE. I've allways wanted to hunt, but as all you guys seem to be in hidding I never could get introduced to it. So thanks to this website, I will become a responisible hunter, and have a nice oudoor activity for the non-fishing season. Now I've found a couple hunters my age but they are few and far between. I think Ambush is right. Hiding in shame helps nobody. So ya expect to see a black Mazda with a mulie rack in Nanaimo soon.
And if they ever ban hunting, or fishing well they could ban breathing too.
I won't stop

This is the biggest casualty of the "be discreet" campaign that was prevalent over the last few decades. Hunters "discreeted" themselves into oblivion, and new hunters didn't know where to turn to get started.

WesHarm
03-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah i was dead stuck till I found this site.. then i learned about CORE, CFSC and the great hunting community! Thank you HBC!

Craven200
03-21-2011, 07:03 PM

Good stuff, I very much agree. However I fail to see how strapping mule deer antlers to your truck to parade them around town benefits any of us. I was taught to hunt, to be respectful to the animals I hunt and to use ethics. IMO this is disrespectful to the animal and to the hunting community as a whole. To me, this is not how hunters should show their pride.

Hunters need to do what you wrote Ambush!

Whonnock Boy
03-21-2011, 07:11 PM
your a goof

Infraction. :-D

Today I seen a small moose rack tied to the grill of an electrical company truck. I thought it was amusing being that this thread is being discussed here.

Would I do it myself? No.

Gateholio
03-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Is anyone offended by this car ornamentation?

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1970-1979/1976-Cadillac-Eldorado-Dukes-Hazzard-BR-BH-1280x960.jpg

03-21-2011, 07:36 PM
I agree with those who have stated that hunters shoudn't hide from the public eye. I think it's cruciual that hunters open and maintain a dialogue with the non-hunting public. I talk about hunting with non-hunters frequently, and for the most part, they simply just don't know much about it. What they do know is generally the misinformation they get from the anti-hunting lobby. They initially don't appreciate the fact that most hunters are solid members of society, who enjoy time outdoors, and prefer to harvest their meat, rather than buy it, and that hunters are the primary conservationists world-wide.

They imagine hunters to be ignorant @ssholes who are abrasive, redneck, and motivated by blood lust. Why would anyone want to promote this stereotype further by driving around with antlers on the front of their truck?

Hunters on this forum might have a chuckle seeing it, but the impression we give non-hunters does matter. Hunters only represent about 3-4% of the BC population, and in the long-term we require the support of non-hunters (not anti-hunters). Why do anything to promote a negative stereotype amongst those who haven't given hunting a lot of thought? Big mistake in my opinion.

Allen50
03-21-2011, 07:57 PM
well the bull horns is a truly diffrent set up, you don't go out into the woods and hunt these, its just diffrent as far as i'm concearned, Co would not brother this set up , but someone with deer antlers well whole diffrent thing,, but hay if you like to go do this go for it,, your truck, and everone that see's it will remember your truck,, i was at a game check once and a guy came in with a cow moose head on his spear tire on the front of his truck, the Co asked them to remove it, and they told the Co that they see someone with moose antlers on the truck, the Co made them remove ever thing from the truck, and checked it all then charged them because they keep fighting with the Co, its all about keeping the ones who do not want to see this out there, site, READ PAGE 17 IN THE REGS ABOUT HUNTING AND TRAPPING ETHICS, what may impress your friends mat not have the same effect on your neighbours.Do not display your kill or firearms where it may offend other people. well its there in the regs, so just my point of view on keeping hunting going as i enjoy getting out to hunt, and do not want a bunch of nonhunters trying to put a end because of someone trying to make a stament for fun, well JUST MY RANT,, good luck.. on what ever you deside to do,,,,,,

Gateholio
03-21-2011, 08:25 PM
well the bull horns is a truly diffrent set up, you don't go out into the woods and hunt these, its just diffrent as far as i'm concearned, Co would not brother this set up , but someone with deer antlers well whole diffrent thing,, but hay if you like to go do this go for it,, your truck, and everone that see's it will remember your truck,, i was at a game check once and a guy came in with a cow moose head on his spear tire on the front of his truck, the Co asked them to remove it, and they told the Co that they see someone with moose antlers on the truck, the Co made them remove ever thing from the truck, and checked it all then charged them because they keep fighting with the Co, its all about keeping the ones who do not want to see this out there, site, READ PAGE 17 IN THE REGS ABOUT HUNTING AND TRAPPING ETHICS, what may impress your friends mat not have the same effect on your neighbours.Do not display your kill or firearms where it may offend other people. well its there in the regs, so just my point of view on keeping hunting going as i enjoy getting out to hunt, and do not want a bunch of nonhunters trying to put a end because of someone trying to make a stament for fun, well JUST MY RANT,, good luck.. on what ever you deside to do,,,,,,

The bull horns once adorned the head of an animal. Nothing really different. There are bars and restaurants all over the place with taxidermy, cars with horns, moose antlers attached to grills, etc etc. Attaching some antlers to your vehicle is really a non issue in my mind.

The stuff in the regs isn't law, and it actually should be removed and replaced with sensible information regarding transporting your kill and your firearms. It's time we stopped hiding our activities to try to keep from offending the nervous bedwetters. A gun rack in the back of a truck or a deer carcass in a truck is not offensive, it's normal. If someone finds this normal activity offensive, then they should seek help.

Allen50
03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
its in the regs so do as you wish with it and see what the out come may be, like i said its my rant and thats all i have to say,,,,good luck...

Allen50
03-21-2011, 09:26 PM
oh yea look on page 2, YOU AND THE LAW. the regs are only for general information purposes, so nothing in it is realy law, its a guideline, so you can do as you wish, was just pointing out a couple of things,, like i said,, good luck and only my rant because we all can have are owne say,,, good luck.....

MichelD
03-22-2011, 09:28 AM
I think that 99.9 percent of the folks on Robson Street or anywhere else could care less what you’ve got on top of your truck. For the most part they are 20-something fashionistas more concerned about the coolest looking next pair of shoes, Ipod or Blackberry they’re going to get or whether they’re going to get laid tonight

To be honest, I detect a certain amount of defensiveness and insecurity in this thread.

Also, this notion that all of the B.C. population except the members of HBC is a bunch of hunter-hating, tofu-eating, Latte-sucking, Gore-tex-clad, granola-crunching Birkenstock–shod vegie/safeway eaters is somewhat of a cartoon-style exaggeration. Same as labeling all hikers and mountain climbers in the bush “hippies.“

These people come from all walks of life and happen to enjoy the outdoors without a gun. Who knows, maybe in-season they’re hunters too.

You can’t just label people with a blanket characterization like that.

Would you be happy to hear all hunters described as mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, baseball-cap-on-backwards shoot everything that moves Neanderthals?

My neighbours regularly see me coming and going with hunting supplies, camo clothes, duck punt, backpack, etc. No negative remarks, just occasionally a “Gee I wish I could go with you,” type of remark. I live in Vancouver a 20 minute bike ride from downtown.

I’ve had nothing but pleasant meetings with the public while hunting.

I was walking on a dike in Pitt Meadows yesterday and made a comment to a woman walking a GSP. “Gee, nice hunting dog, “ I said. “Oh I don’t know if she’s ever been hunting,” she replied pleasantly. “She’s an SPCA rescue dog, but she sure has the instinct though.”

I was near there earlier this year sitting on a public dike waiting for some geese. A guy walking a dog came along as a flight of geese came over me and held back standing still holding his dog and waited to see if I’d shoot. They were too high but he apologized for possibly screwing me up. Met another guy walking a greyhound and it turned out his dad hunted but he didn’t. He wished me luck too.

Once at Boundary Bay I was walking back on the dike with my shotgun and a woman’s Irish Setter picked up a crippled teal from the tide line. I hadn’t shot at a teal that morning. She took the bird from the dog and gave it to me.

“Here. This must be yours,” she said.

Another time I was putting my shotgun in the truck at the end of River Road in Ladner and a woman’s dog flushed a pheasant and it flew straight down the road toward town.

“Shoot it, shoot it,” she said. I had to explain that we didn’t shoot on the road, towards town or so close to houses.

I’ve had friends watch the house while my wife and I go on holiday and they’ve had friends over for dinner and even parties. Sometime I’ve been introduced to people years later and they say: “Oh, I heard about you, I was at your house once; you’re the bear people.”

But really, for the most part I don’t think the public gives a rat’s ass about hunting one way or the other. We might have an inflated sense of self importance to think otherwise.

03-22-2011, 10:04 AM
i like lattes and granola

03-22-2011, 10:04 AM
I think that 99.9 percent of the folks on Robson Street or anywhere else could care less what you’ve got on top of your truck. For the most part they are 20-something fashionistas more concerned about the coolest looking next pair of shoes, Ipod or Blackberry they’re going to get or whether they’re going to get laid tonight

To be honest, I detect a certain amount of defensiveness and insecurity in this thread.

Also, this notion that all of the B.C. population except the members of HBC is a bunch of hunter-hating, tofu-eating, Latte-sucking, Gore-tex-clad, granola-crunching Birkenstock–shod vegie/safeway eaters is somewhat of a cartoon-style exaggeration. Same as labeling all hikers and mountain climbers in the bush “hippies.“

These people come from all walks of life and happen to enjoy the outdoors without a gun. Who knows, maybe in-season they’re hunters too.

You can’t just label people with a blanket characterization like that.

Would you be happy to hear all hunters described as mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, baseball-cap-on-backwards shoot everything that moves Neanderthals?

My neighbours regularly see me coming and going with hunting supplies, camo clothes, duck punt, backpack, etc. No negative remarks, just occasionally a “Gee I wish I could go with you,” type of remark. I live in Vancouver a 20 minute bike ride from downtown.

I’ve had nothing but pleasant meetings with the public while hunting.

I was walking on a dike in Pitt Meadows yesterday and made a comment to a woman walking a GSP. “Gee, nice hunting dog, “ I said. “Oh I don’t know if she’s ever been hunting,” she replied pleasantly. “She’s an SPCA rescue dog, but she sure has the instinct though.”

I was near there earlier this year sitting on a public dike waiting for some geese. A guy walking a dog came along as a flight of geese came over me and held back standing still holding his dog and waited to see if I’d shoot. They were too high but he apologized for possibly screwing me up. Met another guy walking a greyhound and it turned out his dad hunted but he didn’t. He wished me luck too.

Once at Boundary Bay I was walking back on the dike with my shotgun and a woman’s Irish Setter picked up a crippled teal from the tide line. I hadn’t shot at a teal that morning. She took the bird from the dog and gave it to me.

“Here. This must be yours,” she said.

Another time I was putting my shotgun in the truck at the end of River Road in Ladner and a woman’s dog flushed a pheasant and it flew straight down the road toward town.

“Shoot it, shoot it,” she said. I had to explain that we didn’t shoot on the road, towards town or so close to houses.

I’ve had friends watch the house while my wife and I go on holiday and they’ve had friends over for dinner and even parties. Sometime I’ve been introduced to people years later and they say: “Oh, I heard about you, I was at your house once; you’re the bear people.”

But really, for the most part I don’t think the public gives a rat’s ass about hunting one way or the other. We might have an inflated sense of self importance to think otherwise.

I agree 100%. The vast majority of British Columbians probably spend absolutely no time thinking about hunting. That's why I think it's important to be pleasant and positive towards these people when and if subject of hunting ever comes up. Better for hunters to do the educating than the antis.

yamadirt 426
03-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I say go ahead and do it if it makes you smile! Time to stop worrying about all the PC crap:roll:

Hiding harvested game and firearms from the public has done absolutely nothing to "improve" our image to those that don't approve of such things.

This is the truth !!!!!! Too bad our own can't see it. I think some are scared of there own guns lol

deepwater
03-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Grreat comments from cariboo game trails.... certainly more grief for the sight than we need... I am from a large mixed bag family who knows me as a hunter... most of them dont own a firearm and nev er will - I dont make them look at the pics of the steaming gut piles and I keep on gettingc invited out to dinner.....

Dirty Steve
03-22-2011, 07:52 PM
This thread is seriously bugging me! I have a few beers in me and it seems to be bothering me even more!
Maby because I have been known to do stupid shit after a couple beers, but that takes it to a whole new level.
Time and a place buddy!
Have your fun in camp where it doesn't effect anybody else and you are less likely to spend some time in jail or give us all a bad name.

Gateholio
03-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Now it is being suggested that someone will get arrested and spend time in jail for attaching antlers to their truck?:-D

Oh wow....:mrgreen:

Dirty Steve
03-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Chances are anybody willing to do something so foolish will most likely have other influences that would put them in that position.

Squamch
03-23-2011, 10:11 AM
I zap strapped the year before last's spike skull cap and antlers to my hardhat for a bit...nothing but laughs in oak bay, I even agreed to come skewer the oak bay golf course bucks when the cull gets approved.

Alpine Addict
03-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Or even better yet, Trap a live deer. Trailer it downtown to robson street. Let it go. Then Hunt it. This way you are able to show your sport!

DMA1983
06-14-2011, 09:17 PM
if I was driving around the robson street with a big truck and a set of antlers I would be more worried about the guys that DID like me than the ones that didnt

mungojeerie
06-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Just the fact that youd be doing it to get a reaction from people you know wont approve of it should be enough to say it would be a poor decision.

Last year upon returning from moose hunting we were coming off the No.1 to the Golden Ears Bridge Exit and stopped at the light beside a huge diesel truck with a fresh (still bloody) immature bull rack wired to it's grill. My buddy smacked me and pointed it out and we looked up at the driver to see a very hot chick driving it, she saw us - rolled her eyes, shrugged as she shook her head and started to laugh in almost embarrassment. We laughed back but we are hunters and not as easily offended by such a site, plus she was hot!

Wouldnt consider doing to my vehicle, no need to purposely offend people. They have just as much of a right to our discretion as we do to engage in this sport, not to mention Id prefer to avoid vandalism hate crimes.

hotload
06-14-2011, 10:08 PM
You bought a FORD, your pride has gone anyway? If your gonna do it, do it now, next week you might be walking.

springpin
06-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Do it, just to be cool!

Rectifier
06-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Go big or go home! Moose rack!

I also agree that this is a stupid idea. The traffic downtown is terrible and the company equally poor... why would you ever want to go down there!
I've noticed that everyone I talk to is quite accepting of hunting as long as you stay away from the granola crunchers. You can usually tell by their powerful jaws and excessively lean physique.

However, over in Alberta the game is totally different. I forgot to bring my raincoat and end up wearing my camo jacket when it's raining. Strangers stop me and ask what I'm going out for this year, did I get a spring bear, etc etc... It seems I can't buy coffee without having a chat about hunting/guns/archery while I'm wearing the thing. Seriously! Why can't we have a culture like that in BC?

The Hermit
06-14-2011, 11:14 PM
I'd say as long as you don't fly a Boston Bruins flag on the antlers you should be okay! ;-)

RiverOtter
06-15-2011, 08:48 AM
A bear rug on your hood would be more fitting, given the timing.....

fester
06-15-2011, 09:02 AM
I live in PG and there is a guy with a dodge that has his sntlers strapped to either side of the cab. I think it is extremely degrading to the animal.

Mulehahn
06-15-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't get the reaction. If he wants to good for him, its his truck. Seriously, I have a good fishing buddy who lives two blocks off robson. He works right there so it is good for him. He doesn't hunt but comes along with on my trips. I don't hunt bear up on the sea to sky, but if I did and was successful you could be damn sure I would stop by his place to show him on the way back to Langley. So according to the people here I am doing a diservice to hunters by hanging out with my friend?

RiverOtter
06-15-2011, 09:38 AM
I live in PG and there is a guy with a dodge that has his sntlers strapped to either side of the cab. I think it is extremely degrading to the animal.

Never have understood that mentallity....How exactly do you go about respecting an animal, right after you just blew up its inner organs and ended its life???

Hunting ain't about respect for animals, it's about sustaining ones own life and the lives of your family with the chemical/hormone free meat it provides. My respect for the animals I hunt extends no further then inflicting the quickest death possible.

mungojeerie
06-15-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't get the reaction. If he wants to good for him, its his truck. Seriously, I have a good fishing buddy who lives two blocks off robson. He works right there so it is good for him. He doesn't hunt but comes along with on my trips. I don't hunt bear up on the sea to sky, but if I did and was successful you could be damn sure I would stop by his place to show him on the way back to Langley. So according to the people here I am doing a diservice to hunters by hanging out with my friend?

I would say and I believe the law follows suit that you have every right to stop by your buddy's place and show him your bear though in transport it should be out of sight/tarped etc. Not strapped to the hood of your car for everyone to see, that's just hunter ethics.

Gateholio
06-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I would say and I believe the law follows suit that you have every right to stop by your buddy's place and show him your bear though in transport it should be out of sight/tarped etc. Not strapped to the hood of your car for everyone to see, that's just hunter ethics.

more accurate would be to say that it is your *personal* ethics.

Elkhound
06-15-2011, 12:51 PM

very true. Hell............on the weekend I saw a truck with Go Canucks Go written in bear blood on the tailgate. LOL.no....it wasnt mine.

mungojeerie
06-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Or just ethical in general

Gateholio
06-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Or just ethical in general

Just the opposite. Hiding an animal you legally killed is up to the individual.

mungojeerie
06-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Just the opposite. Hiding an animal you legally killed is up to the individual.

It's not about hiding an animal you legally killed as if your ashamed so much as non hunters have just as much right to your discretion as you do to have legally harvested that animal

mungojeerie
06-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Pg 17 of the regs

"have respect for the sensitivities of others. Do not display your kill or firearms where it may offend other people. What may impress your friends may not have the same effect on your neighbours."

An unwritten rule of hunting ethics.

Hard to dispute that.

High Country
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I agree with BC Cooker and Cariboo Game Calls. Although I would like to make statements in the face of the anti's, stuff like you're suggesting looks bad on true hearted hunters and huntresses!

Gateholio
06-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Keep hiding your activities and acting ashamed, and hunting will die off. Lots of good info on this thread about how hunters hiding have had negative impacts.

sparkes3
06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
if i put a banner across the top of my windshield that says viewer discretion is advised would it be okay
then
if you dont like what you see DONT LOOK
if you dont like what you are hearing PLUG YOUR EARS
if you dont like what you are SMELLING HOLD YOUR BREATH
after that go eat your granola bar and hug a tree.
to me its the same as watching tv and bitching about whats on, if you dont like change the dam channel.
every christmas i see a city of burnaby truck going around with a fine set of decorated elk antlers sticking up off the headache rack .

Cariboo Game Calls
06-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Keep hiding your activities and acting ashamed, and hunting will die off. Lots of good info on this thread about how hunters hiding have had negative impacts.

There is a big difference between having the common sense to show some respect for the sensitivities of others and what you refer to as hiding your activities. I've never been ashamed of being a hunter and I'm not afraid to have it out with anyone that thinks they can interefere with my right to enjoy my sport, however I don't have to try purposely offending people to prove a point. Hunting won't die off because of ethical hunters. However, the so-called hunters who think it's smart to display dead game at a ferry terminal line up specifically to try get a reaction and/or start arguements are the ones who will ultimately be responsible for killing the sport.

hillclimber
06-15-2011, 04:32 PM
if i put a banner across the top of my windshield that says viewer discretion is advised would it be okay
then
if you dont like what you see DONT LOOK
if you dont like what you are hearing PLUG YOUR EARS
if you dont like what you are SMELLING HOLD YOUR BREATH
after that go eat your granola bar and hug a tree.
to me its the same as watching tv and bitching about whats on, if you dont like change the dam channel.
every christmas i see a city of burnaby truck going around with a fine set of decorated elk antlers sticking up off the headache rack .

pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Somestimes you cant hide your kill tho lets say you are driving an SUV and you put your deer on the roof. Not much you can do about that.

jeff
06-15-2011, 04:37 PM
last october driveing home from princeton we had a nice buck in the back the quad took up the whole box so the deer had to be on the quad rack quit visible i kinda figured this would happen around chillawack a older dude in his 60s raced up beside us in a rage almost causing an accident screaming at us calling us bloody murderers he was littrtly foamng at the mouth he went bizerk sorta funny

KB90
06-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Gotta Keep the Jeep Clean!

It's a dead animal, big deal. I've got nothing to hide and I don't think i've done anything wrong either.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0026.jpg

mungojeerie
06-15-2011, 04:55 PM
There is a big difference between having the common sense to show some respect for the sensitivities of others and what you refer to as hiding your activities. I've never been ashamed of being a hunter and I'm not afraid to have it out with anyone that thinks they can interefere with my right to enjoy my sport, however I don't have to try purposely offending people to prove a point. Hunting won't die off because of ethical hunters. However, the so-called hunters who think it's smart to display dead game at a ferry terminal line up specifically to try get a reaction and/or start arguements are the ones who will ultimately be responsible for killing the sport.

Thats right on the button.

I do most of my hunting out of a small Jeep, Pick-up or Chevy Tracker.... lots of times I've hauled game from kill sites through the logging roads etc to camp. two years ago I drove a good distance with a bear strapped to the hood, blood running everywhere. If I pass people in the back woods or people pass me when Im hauling or skinning an animal I dont hide it, but before I leave the bush heading for pavement the only thing people are seeing is what their imagination is telling them is beneath that tarp.

I think to purposly flaunt carcasses or animal parts in order to elicit reations and outrage is ignorant and foolish.

huntwriter
06-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Never have understood that mentallity....How exactly do you go about respecting an animal, right after you just blew up its inner organs and ended its life???

Hunting ain't about respect for animals, it's about sustaining ones own life and the lives of your family with the chemical/hormone free meat it provides. My respect for the animals I hunt extends no further then inflicting the quickest death possible.

That right there sums it pretty much up.

I've no clue when that "respect" thing came up, must be an adjustment to political correct thinking or an effort to please anti hunters. My neighbor has a European mount on the front of his truck. It's not my thing, but neither is it up to me, or anyone else, to bash what other people do with their trophies.

Deer Sausage
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
mmmm....nice start...but i don't think your rig will be ready until you add
-truck scrotum on receiver
-confederate flag painted on hood
-snorkel for cold air intake.....almost necessary for Robson and surrounds
-hula girl on dash
-old school gun rack on rear window
-"bullet hole" stickers
-change out 60-40 for a bench seat so your "old lady" kin sit right nixt te ya
-bumper sticker that says " I love animals...they're delicious!"
-mullet wig...if you dont already have a mullet

then youre ready to go!
Dont run over any smart cars or art students when youre down there! big diesels are hard to navigate downtown.

Rectifier
06-15-2011, 10:57 PM
The snorkel is definitely necessary downtown, or your engine will run rich in the clouds of cologne and hair gel gases emitted down there.

In addition to the art students, watch out for juicers. They are common down there, and easy to see head on. But when they turn sideways, they can practically disappear! If you hit their chicken legs they will come straight through the windshield!

Gateholio
06-17-2011, 04:37 PM
If you are concealing a dead animal because you are concerned about offending other people, then you must believe your activities are offensive to these people.

If you are concerned about offending other people that may not like hunting, it's probably best if you just stop hunting, and ensure that you don't offend anyone.

Hiding something that is offensive under a tarp does not make it less offensive, it just makes it hidden under a tarp.

mungojeerie
06-18-2011, 10:49 AM
If you are concealing a dead animal because you are concerned about offending other people, then you must believe your activities are offensive to these people.

If you are concerned about offending other people that may not like hunting, it's probably best if you just stop hunting, and ensure that you don't offend anyone.

Hiding something that is offensive under a tarp does not make it less offensive, it just makes it hidden under a tarp.

So in your opinion the statement "have respect for the sensitivities of others. Do not display your kill or firearms where it may offend other people. What may impress your friends may not have the same effect on your neighbours." is ridiculous nonsense and if you think this way you should just stop hunting?

huntwriter
06-18-2011, 03:37 PM
So in your opinion the statement "have respect for the sensitivities of others. Do not display your kill or firearms where it may offend other people. What may impress your friends may not have the same effect on your neighbours." is ridiculous nonsense and if you think this way you should just stop hunting?

I am offended when gays flaunt their stuff all over the place. I am offended that drug addicts can go about their fitly habit in public. I am offended that the violent death of a person receives less public outrage then the violent death of an animal, but it never would enter my mind to expect others to respect my "sensitivities", as disgusting as they are. Neither do I give a rats hairy behind if other people are offended by my hunting. My answer would be deal with it and get a life. These days everybody is offended about something. Some are offended by smokers, others are by the neighbors barbecue, his dog, cat or parrot. Being offended is fashionable and often used to bully others to succumb to their way of thinking and acting. If we would show "consideration" about everything that offends others we might just as well stay all day indoors.

Gateholio
06-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Yes, it's nonsense.

I already commented on that earlier in this thread:

The stuff in the regs isn't law, and it actually should be removed and replaced with sensible information regarding transporting your kill and your firearms. It's time we stopped hiding our activities to try to keep from offending the nervous bedwetters. A gun rack in the back of a truck or a deer carcass in a truck is not offensive, it's normal. If someone finds this normal activity offensive, then they should seek help.

mungojeerie
06-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Oh the world would be a wonderful place if we all just said who cares what our neighbor like or dislikes... I'm going to do whatever I want, even if it's just to spite them!

Gateholio
06-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Oh the world would be a wonderful place if we all just said who cates what our neighbor like or dislikes... I'm going to do whatever I want, even if it's just to spite them!

Oh the world would be a wonderful place if we just stopped bowing down to political correctness.

Oh the world would be a wonderful place if hunters were still unashamed of their activities and didn't hide their normal behavior.

huntwriter
06-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Oh the world would be a wonderful place if we all just said who cares what our neighbor like or dislikes... I'm going to do whatever I want, even if it's just to spite them!

It would be indeed a wonderful world if people would mind their own business and don't pretend to be "offended" every time they see or hear something they don't like or agree with. Interestingly enough the very same people that get "offended" by a dead deer in the back of a truck or someone displaying antlers on the truck hood have no problem eating a burger at McD. Would they be offended visiting the meat processing plant where that burger is made?

It's not a question of denying "respect" to others but rather a question of how far we want to go in hiding our LEGAL activity and deny our way of life in an effort not to "offend" others. It is offensive to me that I should hide like a thieve in the night just to make sure the sensitive neighbor does not see me loading my truck with hunting gear, see me in camouflage or unloading a dead deer from the truck, or have to remove my mounts from the living room because the visitor might get a tad sensitive seeing them hanging on the wall.