PDA

View Full Version : Neck Bands???

Foxton Gundogs
03-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Anybody know any thing about neck bands on Canada Geese. A friend got a goose with BOTH neck and leg bands and was asking me but apart from hearing about them second/third hand I know nothing.

Jim

mattchu_19
03-18-2011, 10:05 AM
What color?

Crazy_Farmer
03-18-2011, 11:20 AM
What color?

I know what you're thinking and its possible, the location works for what some have been thinking.

Collars are just an easier way to locate birds. Metal bands on legs are more often to be only reported once shot or captured whereas collars can be viewed from greater distances and make multiple sightings possible. A single bird with a collar could start in Alaska and go to california and be viewed and reported the whole way down if people keep seeing it.

Foxton Gundogs
03-18-2011, 12:33 PM
What color?

White or very light grey

trapperdan2061
03-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Use to see alot of the neck bands in the east.

Foxton Gundogs
03-18-2011, 09:33 PM
No idea where or from who the originate out here?

Crazy_Farmer
03-18-2011, 09:44 PM
If he hasn't already phoned it in he can enter all the info here and it'll give some basic info at first, then they can mail more info later, where and when banded, age when banded,

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/index.cfm

Farmer
03-19-2011, 08:58 AM
When Canada geese were reintroduced into the Fraser valley in the 1970s or early 80s, a lot of them had numbered yellow neck bands. As was mentioned above, this was so the biologists could watch from a distance with their optics and record band numbers.

Foxton Gundogs
03-19-2011, 09:18 AM
When Canada geese were reintroduced into the Fraser valley in the 1970s or early 80s, a lot of them had numbered yellow neck bands. As was mentioned above, this was so the biologists could watch from a distance with their optics and record band numbers.
Thanks guys for all the input I'll passed the info site along to my friend. This band is light grey or off(dirty) white has a number stamped in 4 places on the band apparently it looks like a piece of PVC pipe split so it can be placed around the neck woth a piece of valcro to keep it closed.

One Shot
03-19-2011, 10:26 AM

I have to ask "reintroduced"? Why did something happen to the geese in the valley? When I was stationed here in the mid seventies I thought there were lots of geese here allbeit I think there were less geese in the winter then than there are now, possibly due to milder winters.

Foxton Gundogs
03-19-2011, 01:20 PM
I have to ask "reintroduced"? Why did something happen to the geese in the valley? When I was stationed here in the mid seventies I thought there were lots of geese here allbeit I think there were less geese in the winter then than there are now, possibly due to milder winters.
I know as a kid growing up in the Valley and hunting the Polder IF you even heard of someone getting a goose it was big news hell mallards were few and far between. We cut our teeth on widgon and teal. geese were something you maybe got in the chilliwack corn fields or (as I was lucky to do once) make the trip to Tofino for. Now I get more geese and mallards in a mornings mixed shoot than I got the whole time I was hunting as a kid.
ITS GREAT to see the come back reintroduced or not.

heyblast
03-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Being from Ontario originally I don't know if geese were reintroduced here or not but it sounds like it. In Ontario in the early 70's Canada geese were reintroduced. At that time you only saw migrants flying over and it wasn't until the early to mid 80's when resident flocks became established that they became more common. I remember in the late 80's when duck numbers were low my father and I complained about too many geese and not being able to find any ducks which is what we prefered. Also my father told me that when he learned to hunt in the early 50's on Long Point Bay that Mallards were uncommon, but when I started hunting in 71 Mallards are what I shot. I've never shot a goose with a neck band but I have shot geese with both metal and plastic leg band's.