PDA

View Full Version : Know your region?

twopointertom
03-17-2011, 05:59 PM
How much time do you spend in your home region, and how often do you search outside? I think I've spent more time outside the lower mainland where I'm origionally from. Apart from some great blacktail hunting, black bear I'm forced to look further for larger populations of moose, elk, and sheep. Is this uncommon, or do most hunters look for greener pastures further away?

Fixit
03-17-2011, 06:07 PM
grass is always greener for me.... living in the lower mainland right now

Will
03-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Don't generally leave Reg 3 much......and when I do it ain't for Hunting;)

bcfarmer
03-17-2011, 06:10 PM
I hunt locally during work time...harvest, evenings/weekends. Always try to do at least one out of area hunt a year....an opportunity to see more of this great province.

Last year, I got in two hunts, one to the Peace for muley/whitey's and the other to Terrace for my coveted goat hunt.

bcf

Darksith
03-17-2011, 07:10 PM
the grass is always greener when you live in the lower mainland, but thats b/c its true. I spend a trip a year, sometimes 2 away from my home area for hunting, but I always put in more days locally than afar thats for sure.

4 point
03-17-2011, 07:22 PM
I hunt my main Region 3 areas now. In the old days off we went up north, some fly in's, I owned a jet boat for a few years away back. Don't have any partners that want to, can afford to or have the time to go on long distance trips away for any time. Maybe when I retire next year things will change for me, maybe not. A least my licence will cost less but not the tags.

todbartell
03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
I enjoy traveling and hunting a new area, but there's so much country locally that sometimes I only have to drive 45 minutes to see a place I've never been to before :D

evhunter
03-17-2011, 07:31 PM
90% home region (region 4). I would say that 50% of my hours spent hunting are within 10 minutes of my home (12 minutes if there's traffic) and after work each day!

elkdom
03-17-2011, 07:31 PM
where could it be better than Reg 7B where I live and work,,,

work takes me 5 to 7 thousand km a month on mostly remote wilderness roads,,,

every day I go to work is a "scouting trip"8-)

mark
03-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Region 8 has been pretty well shot out!
I have to go elsewhere to find any deer. :cry:

Gunner
03-17-2011, 07:40 PM
I have to go elsewhere to find any deer. :cry:I have to agree:biggrin:.The fact that it's my home area encouraged me to hold out for the local grizzly draw(which I got this year).Instead of driving for hours to check out an area I don't know well,or running into bad weather a long way from home,I can look out the window to figure the weather and I know where the bears are.Don't have to ask for online advice either! Gunner

elkdom
03-17-2011, 07:43 PM

no DEER up here,, all dead, tics, wolves, non-resident guided hunters , road kill, etc,etc,

keep looking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :cool:

dana
03-17-2011, 07:45 PM

LMAO!!! Region 8 is just getting good. It is even drawing guys like me to explore some of my old haunts. :cool:

sarg
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM
every year is a new area for me,i dont know if its a good thing or not but i get to see some really nice country side.

cainer
03-17-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm not a big fan of hunting my home range (reg 2). Blacktails bore me. I'd much rather head to an area where the grass is yellower and more abundant...say reg 3, 4, 5 or 8.

Ronforca
03-17-2011, 08:57 PM
I shot one of my Deer roughly 10 min.from my house and the other about an hr.As I mostly hunt Deer now I stick pretty close to home.If the truth were known I have Deer looking in my kitchrn window at times.

ufishifish2
03-17-2011, 09:11 PM
I generally hunt from home for deer. It's nice because I can jump on the quad in my yard and access crown land to hunt all day without having to start up the truck.
For goats, sheep, etc I travel and enjoy seeing the rest of this beautiful province.

moosinaround
03-17-2011, 10:05 PM
I primarially hunt close to home. I am venturing out further from PG though. I have a couple deer hunts planned this year, and an elk hunt planned so I will be heading to the Peace again for whitetails, elk and mulies. Moose I hunt from my house, know all the good spots! Funny though, I, like Dana am starting to re visit some of the old haunts for mulies and elk! Moosin

one-shot-wonder
03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
LMAO!!! Region 8 is just getting good. It is even drawing guys like me to explore some of my old haunts. :cool:

Not the boundary country.......apparently no MD bucks left.:o

2wheellifer
03-17-2011, 10:24 PM
I have lived in 2 provinces and hunted for 45 years and at least 70 % of my succesful hunts have been within 10 kms of my house. I generaly hunt elk, whitetail and mulies and about 1/2 of the last 20 animals have been within sight of my house. The last 12 years have been in region 4 and 8 of those years I lived in town. I find the best hunting just outside city limits. I spent aprox. 25 days hunting this year (5x4 wt and 4x4 mulie) and did not burn 1 tank of fuel in my truck. Scout what is close and dont waste time driving.

RayHill
03-17-2011, 11:20 PM

What would you be doing for work?

fearless
03-17-2011, 11:51 PM

Have to agree with you, I don't live there would love to, Some of the best hunting in this province. Been going there for the last ten years met some good folks shot some nice animals. Last season nice moose and hung out for mulie opening and ended up with a big 5x5, well worth the drive.

elkdom
03-18-2011, 12:17 AM
What would you be doing for work?

specialized HD Diesel Mechanic, self employed by Contract, O&G Related machinery, is service units over about a 350 km radius of Dawson Creek, Tumbler, Grande Cache Alta, FtSt John,

lots of new roads in remote areas, allows me unlimited scouting, wildlife viewing op's ;)

5 spike
03-18-2011, 06:03 AM
i dont have to its all right at my back door step. i spend lots of time in the bush were i live. i learn something new every time i am out there.

jdmck
03-18-2011, 12:51 PM
take my wife and son hunting in region 3 early deer for me is region 5 late season region 3 for the big boys

bforce750
03-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I don't need to go anywhere, I can walk from my front door and in 10 mins shoot elk and deer...but if I really want a moose I go to region 7...cheers

CanuckShooter
03-19-2011, 03:33 PM
We travel to hunt moose with antlers instead of point hunting...and have found some incredible elk hunting spots...if diesel prices get too high we might have to hunt closer to home more often and cut back on the road trips. We own land in 7b and cold hunt on our private property, but sometimes travelling and hunting with new partners and in new areas has quite the draw.

hunter1947
03-21-2011, 01:39 AM
I am always venturing out into new areas I just got back last night from a different region then the one I live in guess you can say I was looking..http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

OutWest
03-21-2011, 08:40 AM
I put lots of time here in Region 8 and it always pays off. Take a few trips a year over to 3.

blackbart
03-22-2011, 10:18 PM
The best buck that I saw last year was on a September afternoon walk from my house with my puppy and wife. He just stood there at 35 yards looking at us while we were talking. Some guys were dogging this buck very hard in November, saw their trucks parked at the same spot every morning when I went to work. I kinda hope to see him again this coming year as he looked fairly young and has the potential to be a real cranker in a year or two.

Back to the orig. question. I tend to hunt my own region for the majority of my time, but do hit one or two other regions pretty much every year.

ElectricDyck
03-23-2011, 04:57 AM
I like staying local and have taken 5 region 2 BTs in the last 3 years but when it comes to a longer trip for anything other than deer or bear you have to leave region 2. A lot of the excitement for me is researching a new area and then exploring it. Short trips are ok, but it's the longer trips away from home that I look forward to all year.