PDA

View Full Version : Talkin' Turkey Twice - Okanagan Turkey Calling Clinic - Final Reminder

GrouseRiver
03-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Just one last heads up that this coming Saturday, Grouse River Outfitters will be hosting our "Talkin' Turkey Twice" Seminar and Field Sessions with Othmar Vohringer. Tickets are still available for any current or prospective turkey enthusiasts to help you get ready for the rapidly approaching spring season.

Additional details, as well as tickets, are available by calling 1-877-547-6873 or by visiting the Grouse River website here. (http://www.grouseriver.com/category_s/449.htm) Additional information is also available by emailing info@grouseriver.com.

To those who have already purchased their tickets, we look forward to seeing you on Saturday!

braggadoe
03-17-2011, 06:00 PM
i was just looking at the website and i noticed that on the afternoon. one subject was "how to use other hunters to bag the big tom" or something along those lines.

is this correct?

if so, that's just crazy!

if your advocating sneaking in on another hunter who is already set up on a bird. you shouldn't be teaching a calling clinic!

maybe your telling people to count the piles of toilet paper at the good listening spots.

lots of poo = popular spot = educated bird

please don't encourage people to hunt a bird that you know somebody else is already on.

i think i'll keep my money!

uraarchr
03-17-2011, 07:39 PM
A popular tactic in hunting game like say elk,mulies or even wt deer is to situate yourself at places game uses as an escape route to evade hunters.This is discussed in most books about hunting and I'm sure this is what they are referring to.Nothin at all wrong with that!

braggadoe
03-17-2011, 08:01 PM
yes, i'm aware of "pushing bush" and "drives" but that's just not FAIR CHASE turkey hunting.

it's a calling clinic, not an escape/evade clinic.

sounds like a great way for hunters to get in a fist fight

very sad, very sad

GrouseRiver
03-17-2011, 10:22 PM
While I can't speculate on the exact nature of this topic, I can say unequivocally that Othmar Vohringer, the key presenter at the event, is one of the biggest advocates of hunter safety that I have met. One of his main focuses is always creating an environment in which all members of, not only the hunting community, but the outdoors community as a whole, build a mutual respect for one another, and thus I would be surprised if the discussion of this particular tactic deviates from that. Having said that, I'm sure he will be more than happy to expand on it for everyone's benefit.

I did also just want to provide an update that the Joe Rich Sportsman's Association has very generously offered up the use of their facility for the purpose of this event. Both the introductory and advanced field sessions will be taking place at their venue.

Again, if any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at 1-877-547-6873.

Take care!

braggadoe
03-18-2011, 05:01 AM
Has anyone else taken one of his clinics? i wonder what the "how to outsmart other hunters.use other hunters to bag the big tom" topic is all about?

he maybe a nobel prize winning good guy, but moving in on a bird that someone else is already on, is just plain wrong!

it seems that in the last few years its hard to work a hard gobbling bird without some "yahoo" running in and spooking it.

if you know someone else is already working a bird, move on! find another bird. there's plenty out there and always another day.

he should not be encouraging turkey hunters to use other turkey hunters to "bag the big tom"

maybe he isn't......i hope!

GoatGuy
03-18-2011, 05:23 AM
There are several ways to use hunting pressure to your advantage without affecting someone else's hunt. Your comments are out of line.

If you're having a tough time bagging a turkey this course will likely be of immense benefit to you.

Has anyone else taken one of his clinics? i wonder what the "how to outsmart other hunters.use other hunters to bag the big tom" topic is all about?

he maybe a nobel prize winning good guy, but moving in on a bird that someone else is already on, is just plain wrong!

it seems that in the last few years its hard to work a hard gobbling bird without some "yahoo" running in and spooking it.

if you know someone else is already working a bird, move on! find another bird. there's plenty out there and always another day.

he should not be encouraging turkey hunters to use other turkey hunters to "bag the big tom"

300H&H
03-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Well Braggadoe...unless you have been to this event, and its a first, then your speculating. in other words you dont know what your talking about.
Go to this event and find out. Then comment.

braggadoe
03-18-2011, 06:49 AM
i have not been to one of his clinics....that's why i asked.

killing turkeys is not my problem.

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n603/braggadoe/

people parking behind me or down the road 100 yards and running out and ruining my hunt is.

i'll say it again. it's best to move on if someone is already working a bird.

nuff said!

have a great day and good luck this spring

moosinaround
03-18-2011, 07:16 AM

people parking behind me or down the road 100 yards and running out and ruining my hunt is.

nuff said!

While your fishing prowness appears to be above average, I fail to see any turkeys dead on the ground. This leads me to believe you just may need this turkey hunting seminar??!! Sign up, check your braggard attitude at the door and meet some sportsmen! Some folks there just may teach you a thing or 2, so you may increase your share of the harvest. Moosin

GoatGuy
03-18-2011, 12:56 PM

nuff said!

If you're having that many problems finding a turkey and getting away from hunters I'd start looking at other areas to hunt, maybe more than 100 yards off the road :lol: (ie using hunting pressure to get your tom). We haven't heard or seen a soul in the last 3 years of turkey hunting, just turkeys.

Sounds like this course would really help your program.

03-18-2011, 01:21 PM
braggadoe,
First, i live that droped it picture. The timing on that is awesome.

But you Are out of line here.
Now i have never hunted Turkeys but,,, When a reputable outfit like Grouse River is promoting a Turkey calling clinic you can be sure that whoever is putting it on (Othmar, who is alot of things and one being from what i have read here is a pro and puts on a great clinic) Will not be promoting any type of unethical or frouned upon tecniques.

the people who put on these things are there to promote proper ethical and safe methods of hunting. Not leach type legal but non ethical methods. There is more to this clinic then what you think you read, you are assuming the worst.

urbanhermit
03-18-2011, 02:32 PM
i have heard turkey hunting described as the "dryfly fishing" of the Hunting world. It couldn't hurt to go get an overview of the whole thing from an experienced perspective.

03-18-2011, 02:42 PM
i have heard turkey hunting described as the "dryfly fishing" of the Hunting world. It couldn't hurt to go get an overview of the whole thing from an experienced perspective.

Awsome!! Im pretty good at Dry flyin' so i should be set for turkey!!

coach
03-18-2011, 02:45 PM
I attended the Turkey seminar last year. It was a first class event with exceptional presentations from both Othmar and Jimmy Walker, from Primos. It's great that Glenn and his team at Grouse River are supporting and promoting these types of seminars as they are extremely helpful to new and experienced hunters alike. If I had the day free, I'd be attending again. I'm sure that those who participate will more than get their moneys worth.

huntwriter
03-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Braggadoe. I am the "guy" giving the seminar. I read your posts and it seems you misunderstood something terribly. I apologize for not been more clear.

Using other hunters to your advantage has nothing to do with moving in on a bird that another hunter is working. You're right hunters never should do that, not because it is not fair but it can get a person injured or worse killed.

Turkeys, as are other game animals, are pretty smart at figuring out what hunters are doing and where they go or where they at, given the fact that most hunters do the same things over and over its not a difficult thing to do for the turkeys. Knowing that turkeys will evade hunters by taking a different rout.

Knowing about this you as a hunter can take advantage of that. In my seminar I will tell and show hunters how it is done and what to look for to figure out the turkeys possibilities to evade hunters.

It has been mentioned that deer use escape routes to get away from hunters and that another hunter can use that to his advantage. You think that this is not fair case and unethical. Ethics are mostly based on personal opinions and not only can I live with that but respect it. However, it is fair case, according to the fair case rules of the P&Y and the B&C club. Turkeys use escape routes too but we can't hunt them on their escape routes because they fly. Shooting a turkey in flight is next to impossible.

I hope that this explanation will set your fears and misunderstanding at rest. I hope to see you and everybody else at Grouse River tomorrow. We had a great event last year and this year is going to be better still. Because I have much more time to provide more information and due to the outdoor setting even show you the tactics like in a real hunting situation.

Make sure to bring your own turkey calls too for the one-to-one calling lessons and where needed I even will tune that calls for you to the perfect pitch. :grin:

huntwriter
03-18-2011, 05:59 PM

This is the first time I heard that comparison. I am not a fly-fisherman, not yet anyway, so I don't know if that comparison has any truth in it.

However, what I can tell you is that turkey hunting is quite similar to elk hunting. Besides elk, turkeys are the only game species, that can be called in from quite a distance. Another similarity is that you often have to sit for hours and then run like mad for a mile to cut them off, only to sit again and wait.

huntwriter
03-18-2011, 06:01 PM
I attended the Turkey seminar last year. It was a first class event with exceptional presentations from both Othmar and Jimmy Walker, from Primos. It's great that Glenn and his team at Grouse River are supporting and promoting these types of seminars as they are extremely helpful to new and experienced hunters alike. If I had the day free, I'd be attending again. I'm sure that those who participate will more than get their moneys worth.

Thanks Coach I appreciate your kind words very much. Are you coming too this year? I am told the food will be exceptional too.:biggrin:

300H&H
03-18-2011, 06:07 PM

nuff said!

Great pictures baggadoe.
Your are correct about anyone being so close when hunting, safety first.
And yes it would ruin your hunt.

I "think" what was trying to be said was if turkeys are pressured by hunters they will move out of that spot to another. You can use this to your advantage.
Or maybe you set up on a blind and your buddy who is 20 yards behind you calls for you.
In both cases you are using other hunters to your advantage.

Sorry if my post offended you. It was not meant that way.

300H&H
03-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks Coach I appreciate your kind words very much. Are you coming too this year? I am told the food will be exceptional too.:biggrin:

Are you going to do the cooking for us Othmar ? ;) Steak & prawns please.

See you tomorrow.

huntwriter
03-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Are you going to do the cooking for us Othmar ? ;) Steak & prawns please.

See you tomorrow.

You wouldn't eat my food, because my dog doesn't either.:biggrin:

See you tomorrow.

huntwriter
03-18-2011, 06:20 PM
If you're having that many problems finding a turkey and getting away from hunters I'd start looking at other areas to hunt, maybe more than 100 yards off the road :lol: (ie using hunting pressure to get your tom). We haven't heard or seen a soul in the last 3 years of turkey hunting, just turkeys.

Please provide exact location in a PM. :biggrin:

300H&H
03-18-2011, 06:33 PM

Sounds like this course would really help your program.

I must check this area for myself to be sure nobody other than yourself has been or is going there.
GPS co-ordinates or a map would be just fine. ;)

braggadoe
03-19-2011, 05:23 AM
hunt writer, thank you for answering my original question! on the web site promo, had it said " how to pattern a turkey" or "patterning the big gobbler" instead of "outsmart other hunters. use other hunters to bag the big tom". i would be happily attending your clinic.

also, super thanks for agreeing with me, that you should never move on a bird that someone else is already working. most thought i was "out of line"

you are a "nobel prize winning good guy!"

i still think "drives and pushing" turkeys is pretty lame. but that's just my opinion. everybody's got one.

have a great clinic

300H&H
03-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Great course today.
It was nice to meet some of you guys today.
Grouse River did a good job hosting the event.
Awesome burgers for lunch.
Thanks Othmar.
I can't wait to get out hunting.
Just 27 days to go.

huntwriter
03-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Thank you 300H&H.
Despite the weather (heavy snowfall on the drive from Merritt to Kelowna and during the seminar) it was a great event and judging from the feedback I got so far everybody had a good time and learned a lot about turkey hunting. Grouse River Outfitters, as always, where excellent hosts, providing excellent food and a small gift for everybody.

Here is hoping we can do that again next year. After a short rest it's on to more seminars for me and hopefully I can squeeze a few days in to go turkey hunting too.:smile:

ROEBUCK
03-20-2011, 01:32 PM
hi othmar
when will you be next doing a seminar in the okanagan area?? as id like to attend
im moving to kelowna in april !
thanks dan

huntwriter
03-20-2011, 02:40 PM
hi othmar
when will you be next doing a seminar in the okanagan area?? as id like to attend
im moving to kelowna in april !
thanks dan

Thanks for your interest Dan.

I only provide the seminars and courses. It's the clubs, organizations, trade shows and retailers that book my seminars. As of this writing there are no seminars or other appearances booked in the Okenagan area.

My next seminar (bowhunting) is booked by the city of Merritt, starting on April 18 in the Civic Centre. Dates are: April 18, 20, 25 & 27 from 6pm to 8pm

Junorr500
03-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Hello Othmar

I really enjoyed the seminar. Learned a lot and really got me excited for the upcomming season. Its to bad the weather didnt cooperate but thats the way it goes. I hope to learn more from you in the future.

Justin

huntwriter
03-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Hello Othmar

I really enjoyed the seminar. Learned a lot and really got me excited for the upcomming season. Its to bad the weather didnt cooperate but thats the way it goes. I hope to learn more from you in the future.

Justin

Thanks Justin. I had a great time too and hope we can do that again sometime. In the meantime I hope you get a gobbler this year. Good luck.

ROEBUCK
03-31-2011, 11:27 AM
thanks othmar
I will look out for your next turkey seminar
please could you pm me when your next doing 1
thanks dan

ELKAHOLICS
04-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Well said.Its a excellent clinic