PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 of sturgeon fishing this weekend!

Leaseman
03-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Well, heading out again this weekend for round two......:mrgreen:

Anyone else getting out?

Mike

doubled
03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Good luck Mike. Look forward to your report.

Barracuda
03-18-2011, 01:45 PM
hopefully sometime soon

rburm
03-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Considering it. Where you hanging out? What kind of boat?

I'm in a 22' north river. I'm thinking somewhere near the stave.

srupp
03-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Good luck Bro...working never as hard as you but thats normal...:biggrin:

take some photos. please..

cheers

Steven

Laurence_Erickson
03-18-2011, 11:39 PM
well mike I would like to say I tried last weekend and couldn't get it done . It was very wet and at least we got some time on the water .good luck

One Shot
03-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Want like to get out but I still have to bottom paint the boat first......

srupp
03-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Mike DESERVES the time out Dino hunting....he's one of THE hardest working guys I know with INSANE hours....

still jealous hes out and Im working...

Steven

Leaseman
03-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Well made it out yesterday (Sunday), man was it windy.....:-?

Had two good buddies and their good luck charm (my son) along for the adventure..... and an adventure it was......:mrgreen:

Anchored and settled in for 10 minutes before my son has a rod in his hands..... beautiful hook set and here him mumble the works "snagged...". He pulls hard on it again and his snag starts heading across the river....:wink:

90+ minutes later we have the beast sulking on the bottom, straight under the boat.... nothing will turn him or any attempts to raise, results in 5-10 feet lifted and a 20 yard run out and to the bottom again.... seeing my buddies getting beat on the first fish (I want to torture them all day!), I take a turn at the rod and shift the reel into low gear (man I love two speed reels) and then lock the drag.....

15 minutes (funny felt like a couple of hours) later I have him up 30-40 feet, my arms are shaking, legs wobbley and more than a little warm...... One more mighty heave ..... and snap, the leader breaks....:(

Bit of a bummer, but that is dino fishing.... there are some out there that just won't be caught!....

To be continued.....

Leaseman
03-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Good luck Bro...working never as hard as you but thats normal...:biggrin:

take some photos. please..

cheers

Steven

Sorry Bro....

No pictures for me..... next one I take a pic of has to beat my 10'4"...... although when people arrive in town to be taken out..... i am sure the camera will be out for more than fish pictures.....:mrgreen:

Leaseman
03-21-2011, 10:04 AM
well mike I would like to say I tried last weekend and couldn't get it done . It was very wet and at least we got some time on the water .good luck

Guide or by yourself?? If you are by yourself, let me know ahead and I can try to dial you into the fish (I do get lucky sometimes...!)

Leaseman
03-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Considering it. Where you hanging out? What kind of boat?

I'm in a 22' north river. I'm thinking somewhere near the stave.

This time of year I am usually in the non tidal portion! Blue Thunder Jet with gray top.....

Leaseman
03-21-2011, 10:27 AM
So there was some glum faces when I broke off..... but that was soon replaced with smiles as we hit another fish soon after......:mrgreen:

The fishing was good, not as good as last trip but we ended up having to drop anchor on three fish....:wink:.... the biggest was a tad over 8' and we were getting hungry, time for lunch!

Pulled anchor and headed to an area that is sheltered but likes to eat my anchors......:redface:.... fired up the bbq and had a nice feed before we went to brave the cool winds.

Got into a few more fish before pulling anchor and drifting down river while we sorted out gear before sitting back, enjoying the scenery, good friends and a beverage.....

Water is definitely up and a lot more chocolate that a couple of weeks ago! Sorry to say this for you interior boys, but sure hope the freshet doesn't hit for awhile longer.....:mrgreen:

Mike

mountainman
03-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Sounds like a good day on the river. Ours are more then a little ice choked at the moment and doesn't look like much relief in sight for a while.

srupp
03-21-2011, 03:05 PM
sounds like a MONSTER dino..darn...buy better leaders hey Mike??..lol

glad it had some great excitment...

me stuck @ work choppers ..looking at Cali rams...green with envy over YOUR weekend..

cheers
Steven

pin_head
03-21-2011, 06:58 PM
I also got out on Sunday. We got 5 and missed quite a few but nothing over 4 feet. Was definitely a good first trip of the season!