PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Barkley Sound

davbut20
03-16-2011, 11:04 PM
I am heading out to Bamfield next week for a couple of days of salmon fishng in Barkely Sound. I have only ever fished there in the summer. Can anyone give me some advice re: gear and good locations to try?

Johnnybear
03-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Welcome to the site.

You'll be fishing deeper than in the summer like 20 up from the bottom i.e. 120' in 140' of water. Try places like Vernon Bay, Swale Rock, and the Wall out front of Bamfield. Try using 3.5" or 4" green/glow coyote spoon behind a green glow or purple haze flasher. Try smaller needlefish hootchies in blue/green colours. I like the Pacific B52's or similar colour.

Have a great trip:-D!

Check out Fish Tactics site for up to date reports.

Sleep Robber
03-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Off white hoochies with a few strands cut off to make it look used and abused works okay too :wink:.

Like bear said, check the reports before you head out, good luck and be safe.

cheers, Sleep Robber

pnbrock
03-17-2011, 06:51 AM
tiger prawn hoochie a must have.

hunter1947
03-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Anchovy ,hootch's spoons all work good at this time of the year..

IronNoggin
03-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Anchovies have been the bait of choice of late. Glow teasers the standard ticket.
Some larger halibut already in to a few of the usual locations - very few doggies so octopus, herring or squid is Good To Go.
For springs fish the mud as already noted.
For latest locations check with the locals. The Bearded One at Mills Landing may provide some valuable insight :wink:

Best of Luck!
Nog

Frango
03-17-2011, 08:20 AM
I will be out there from the 24th thru 29th.I will most likley be fishing around Swale but if its flat enough might be off of Ucluelet .I would not bother with bait this time of year. Spoons,Apex in green and whitish small hootchies well do the trick. My wife and I have gone out in late march for years and have always come home with fish. She got a 27 last year between Effingham and Gilbraltar..We camp at Toquart..getting pumped.

lorneparker1
03-17-2011, 08:47 PM
For latest locations check with the locals. The Bearded One at Mills Landing may provide some valuable insight :wink:

Best of Luck!
Nog

And a good time!