PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 4-19

BCsniper
03-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Good Day Guys,

I just got the letter that I drew 4-19 for my first Grizzly Bear hunt. SUPER PSYCHED!!!

When I applied I had just moved to BC and it was one of those must enter draws.

Does anyone have any experience with that section who could lend a hand, advice or any help?

WOW!!!

Thanks in advance.

Kris

Chuck
03-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Nobody I know hunts that area. The problem is access. It's poor and straight up. The west boundary has a road down from Meadow Cr. to Fry Cr., and also up from Riondel to Campbell Cr. but then you have poor, if any way to get into the steep interior, except some washed out FSR's. You can tour the MU visually first by stopping at Ainsworth Hot Springs on the west shore of Kootenay Lake. Use your binoculars. 4-6 is easier.

bigben
03-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Tough area

BCsniper
03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the input Chuck and BB. Really appreciate the input. I am thinking this is going to be one of the hardest hunts/hikes I have signed up for yet. I have been looking at some access areas on the south of the MU. Also taking a ATV trail to the top of the mountain and using that for access. But definitely doesn't look easy.

BCsniper
03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
If you have tips or knowledge please don't hesitate to share it.... i am willing to listen to almost anything!

Everett
03-16-2011, 10:33 PM
I have hunted 4-19 for bear its hard work. PM me if you want specific spots.

BCrams
03-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Get yourself into Powder or upper Bernard Creek. Be a grunt but its slides galore in there. As is up the Hamill Creek trail in the park in a few spots.

Love the looks of that slide below Mt Willett. Be a 2-3km hike from the upper cutblock to the semi open ridge you can glass it from! That would be a sweet spot.

huntinnut
03-16-2011, 10:56 PM
I've helped a friend try for Griz in the area between Riondel and Murphy Creek, and it's really tough. There are definately bears in the area, but the problem is access, and snow in the shady areas until the season is almost over. You can snowshoe a couple of the roads in to some slides. The old FSR's go right up the creek draws, so they don't open up until later.

I'd scout the northern area around fry creek as well. Good Luck!

BCsniper
03-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks again fellas for the information. I will definitely be compiling everything to try and put the best effort forward. Will be sure to post a full picture story of how we make out - just excited for the adventure that is ahead.

Would you be hunting higher or lower in the mountain? I saw on another grizzly post that they aren't in the same place in fall/spring. Could someone explain what I would be looking for and what the difference is?

Moose Guide
03-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Hammil Creek trail,Fry Creek trail or Campbell Creek would be your best bets, I would figure on Hamill and prepare for a long hike! My friend down the road took one there 2 years ago. Give me a shout if you want me to ask him about it.

Devilbear
03-16-2011, 11:36 PM
I know the area very well as I worked for the BCFS at Kaslo, back in the '60s and also was involved in the campaign to save the Purcell Conservancy a few years later. I have solo crossed the Earl Grey and hiked many of the valleys as well as coming in from the south end.

It is EXTREMELY tough country, much of it is remote and no place for a novice to be alone as it can and does pound icy rain and also snows into June, with strong winds, slides and very dangerous creeks. This is not meant to discourage anyone, however, the upper West Kootenays contains some of the toughest country in BC and I do NOT think that anyone should venture there alone, unless you really are a very experienced and well-trained and equipped mountain person.

Friends of mine, born there as I was, of pioneer stock and expert mountaineers have been killed there and the rescue situation is not very good, due to lousy weather, scarce resources and the nature of the ground. So, perhaps you might consider these issues in your planning and govern your actions accordingly.

There are Grizzlies, however, they are easier to hunt in "the Flathead" or around "Whiteswan Lake" and the best method is to glass the slides and any other openings on south and west-facing slopes. Make sure you can SHOOT and use a cartridge such as a .30-06 or bigger, with a Nosler Pt. or similar bullet and keep shooting that bear until he stops moving!

Good luck, you will need it.

bcbrez
03-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Three of my buudies got drawn there too. It sure seems like alot of people getting Griz tags this year. I personally know 10 people that I work with that got tags.

kootenayelkslayer
03-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Definitely take into consideration BCRam's first sentence ;) That's where I'd be headed.

tankster
03-17-2011, 08:10 AM
I know the area very well as I worked for the BCFS at Kaslo, back in the '60s and also was involved in the campaign to save the Purcell Conservancy a few years later. I have solo crossed the Earl Grey and hiked many of the valleys as well as coming in from the south end.

It is EXTREMELY tough country, much of it is remote and no place for a novice to be alone as it can and does pound icy rain and also snows into June, with strong winds, slides and very dangerous creeks. This is not meant to discourage anyone, however, the upper West Kootenays contains some of the toughest country in BC and I do NOT think that anyone should venture there alone, unless you really are a very experienced and well-trained and equipped mountain person.

Friends of mine, born there as I was, of pioneer stock and expert mountaineers have been killed there and the rescue situation is not very good, due to lousy weather, scarce resources and the nature of the ground. So, perhaps you might consider these issues in your planning and govern your actions accordingly.

There are Grizzlies, however, they are easier to hunt in "the Flathead" or around "Whiteswan Lake" and the best method is to glass the slides and any other openings on south and west-facing slopes. Make sure you can SHOOT and use a cartridge such as a .30-06 or bigger, with a Nosler Pt. or similar bullet and keep shooting that bear until he stops moving!

wow there buddy . your what i call a worry wart.

Devilbear
03-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Hardly, I am simply a guy with nearly 60 years outdoor experience in BC, born some 20 miles from the area under consideration and very familiar with it through actual field experience in it.

Safety is, or should be, among the major concerns of every outdoors recreationist and a knowledge of the potential problems of a given excursion is the best basis to develop safe practices on, IMO.

03-17-2011, 09:35 AM
I know 4-19 fairly well...love to hike in there in the summer...awesome mountains. Access to productive slides will be really tough, and most of the good slides are higher elevation, so unless we have a really warm spring STARTING NOW, I doubt they will be green.

If you can pull a grizzly out of there I will be impressed with you.

Craven200
03-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Congrats on the draw...you are in tough. You will need snowshoes and great determination. The winter out this way is dragging on with lots of late season snow, which will eventually cause avalanches limiting access. Good luck.

Chuck
03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Good posts! Good advice and suggestions with no off-colour remarks. I'm duly impressed...way to go guys!

Stone Sheep Steve
03-17-2011, 12:35 PM
By the sounds of the replies, I would hope you will be focusing your efforts towards the end of your draw.

SSS

cariboo crawler
03-17-2011, 03:11 PM

All due respect , and I agree its tough country! I have hunted /explored in 4-19 for 20 yrs . It is tough country and along ways in off the main FSR. However , if you have some bush/mountain smarts and DO NOT GO ALONE you will be fine. Enjoy the scenery. You may run into snow which will impede your ability to get into Powder . Bernard access involves crossing the creek with your ATV to get far enough in. This will be impossible in the spring .Trust me . Go as late as you can would be my advise.

deeks1989
03-17-2011, 06:51 PM
See you in there:wink:

BCsniper
03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Thank you all for the heads up and knowledge. I like 325's comment.... hits home on the ego to deliver something! :D

I will be adding snow shoes to the shopping list. Looks like I will have my brother joining me for the hunt as a hiking partner. He was Jacked up almost more than myself.

For the guys offering to give me advice and talk to me I will PM you over the weekend. I have received some PM's with some very good information - please keep them coming.

Thanks again... and deeks I will tie a little one to a tree for you. hahaha.

Brambles
03-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Kootenay Joe is closed for hunting past the hight of land, not even sure if that trail/road is still there, but be aware. There is a reason that draw had good odds, its probably the toughest MU in the kootenays to hunt

03-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Kootenay Joe is closed for hunting past the hight of land, not even sure if that trail/road is still there, but be aware. There is a reason that draw had good odds, its probably the toughest MU in the kootenays to hunt

Yes, but that's irrelevant anyway, as there will still be 10 feet of snow up there June 5!

Moose Guide
03-18-2011, 09:01 AM

When was Kootenay Joe closed, I live right here and have never heard that it is closed to hunting, just closed to vehicular traffic.

gwillim
03-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Check with BC Timber Sales concerning recent road building that may not show up on Google Earth. There may be more access on the face below Mt Loki than is currently shown. A friend of mine got followed/chased down the mountain there while laying out that section of road, so there are grizzlies in there!

I should add, there used to be lots of bears (both black and grizzlies) up Powder creek back in the early 90's. The road was bad then, so not sure what shape it is in now. I was doing regeneration surveys back then, and met some guys on motor bikes hunting bears up that drainage.

BCsniper
03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks boys!

I am planning on heading up there in April to check out the access situation so that I can see what game plan to go with in mid-late may.

Basically I am going to go out and a get a good feel for the landscape and access points.

Again guys thanks for the PM's I will spend sometime this weekend responding and calling the guys who left me a number. I am putting in as much time as I can to educate myself on the area, the bears and hope to put it all together with success

Right now I am all smiles so keep the info coming.

03-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks boys!

I am planning on heading up there in April to check out the access situation so that I can see what game plan to go with in mid-late may.

Basically I am going to go out and a get a good feel for the landscape and access points.

Again guys thanks for the PM's I will spend sometime this weekend responding and calling the guys who left me a number. I am putting in as much time as I can to educate myself on the area, the bears and hope to put it all together with success

Right now I am all smiles so keep the info coming.

If you can just make one trip this spring, other than April scouting, go for the last few days of the season, as you will need as much melt as possible to get in there, and for the slides to be green.

kodiak10
03-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I had that hunt 2 years ago. I would not even consider going there till the end of the season. I was still snow shoeing into the draws the last weekend of the season and there is more snow this year. Like the other guys said it is not an easy hunt. Good luck, maybe you will drive up and find one in a cut block.

BCsniper
03-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, well I am definitely listening to the advice that I am getting so I can make the best effort for it. How did you make out on your hunt?

kodiak10
03-18-2011, 06:51 PM
I did not get one. Only saw black bears. There was alot of guys in there mostly on the roads,nobody could get anywhere. But hopefully you get one. Keep us posted.

Brambles
03-18-2011, 07:30 PM
When was Kootenay Joe closed, I live right here and have never heard that it is closed to hunting, just closed to vehicular traffic.

Yup, what I ment was vehicle traffic for the purpose of hunting,

BCsniper
03-19-2011, 08:35 PM
From the sounds of it, vehicles won't be the issue with the snow

BCsniper
03-23-2011, 10:29 PM
I have been in discussion with Pioneerman about the opportunity to track up my ATV. From the sounds of things I might be well ahead to get into the back country with a tracked ATV.

Any thoughts from you guys about the snow on the valley roads?

BCsniper
03-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Looks like my brother has confirmed that he will be coming with me on this for end of may as you guys have recommended. Hopefully we will be able to get out there and catch the bears on the green stuff.

I am going out with a bow and he is backing me up with the rifle - which talking to the guys on here, seems like the prudent thing to do.

BCsniper
06-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Anyone been out in 4-19 and if so how was the snow conditions? Anyone get lucky?

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Looks like my brother has confirmed that he will be coming with me on this for end of may as you guys have recommended. Hopefully we will be able to get out there and catch the bears on the green stuff.

I am going out with a bow and he is backing me up with the rifle - which talking to the guys on here, seems like the prudent thing to do.

Did you not go ?

BCsniper
06-05-2011, 11:02 AM
This year turned out to be a bust. I took a new contract that put me in Eastern Canada for most of the past 3 months. Disappointed because there was so much anticipation in going for this, and trying to live vicariously through other guys.

I flew over the area on Friday and looked down and saw the snow on the mountains and couldn't help but think what was happening out there.