PDA

View Full Version : Backpack size for Alpine mulies

brian
03-16-2011, 07:51 PM
The thread on alpine mulie hunting really had me jazzed. But because of having two kids under two years old, I figured camping was off the radar for a few years. That is until I asked my wife like girlfriend whether she would prefer a series of day trips through out the season or a couple of multi-day hunting sessions. To my surprise I am now looking to update my gear for a couple of alpine mulie hunts. I am not new to hiking and camping, but I have spent little of that in the alpine. The first thing I would need is a new pack that I could potentially pack out gear and meat. I've been looking at bags lately, unfortunately the one that fits me like a glove is the most expensive one I can find (Arcteryx Bora). So I am not interested in brand recommendations. The Bora has and 80 litre pack and a 95 litre pack. Only real difference is size and weight. Which one would you go for? I am also interested in tent recommendations if you have any.

BromBones
03-16-2011, 08:12 PM
The Bora packs are very good, worth the $$. 80L pack is plenty for a week long hunt, but you might want the extra volume of the 95 if packing out meat + camp in one trip.

I don't think you'll go wrong either way, but my choice would be the 95.

snareman1234
03-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Id go for the 95

ThinAir
03-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Go big or go home..... in two trips!:-D

bearhunter338-06
03-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Are these hunts involving the 4 of you.

open-sights
03-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Go big or go home..... in two trips!:-D
Witty and ohhhh so true! Well said :-D

Tarp Man
03-17-2011, 06:31 AM
I use the 95, and the load stabilizer bars are worth the extra pack weight when things get beyond 70lbs. Make sure you get the pack fitted to you by a qualified person where you buy it (back stays are bent, padding relocated to the right spot, etc.)

Gunner Staal
03-17-2011, 07:43 AM
I have a Bora 80 and its great for Mountaineering.....but ive always wanted a little bigger for hunting. Also....buy the thing at REI in Seattle. Not sure where you live exactly but I purchased mine there for $200 less than I could buy it in B.C. The one downfall of the Bora is the lack of exterior pockets. My suggestions if you want to make extra space is to pick up a couple Outdoor Research Waterproof compression sacks. You can get them at MEC. They are fanatastic. A quick beaner clip and you can move your sleeping bag(compressed) and extra clothing (compressed) to the outside of your pack making room for meat on the inside. Tent suggestions.....I use the Integral Design Sil Tarp. Its not a a tent....but a super light weight (6 oz) shelter that is best described as the top and sides of a tent without the floor. Great for early season. Not so much for later. Check out the new Neo Air by Thermarest while your at it. Worth the cash and the most compact matress yet. Have fun. Pm me if you have any questions about these products.

300mag
03-17-2011, 08:03 AM
I`m with Gunner on this one. I Use a 95L pack, my Tent is the MSR Twin Peaks (Tarp tent no floor). With the 95L I always strap things (sleepingbag, tent) external for the pack out. I carry 4 extra lengths of 1'' webbing 6' long with a few Carabiners. With a cape, skull cap & horns, deboned meat its a full pack.

troutseeker
03-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I too would get the Bora 95. You'll never be unhappy to have too much space, the opposite is true of not having enough...

Check out the MEC swap area, they pop up every so often for a good price. Or if you live near Vancouver go straight to Arcteryx and buy a pack with minor defects from them for a substantial discount.

brian
03-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for every ones input. It Seems pretty universal on the 95 and I'll make sure to check out the Arcteryx store. I am a little leery buying a waterproof (water resistant bag) used, I never know what someone else has done to it. I'd hate to get a good deal but spring a leak. I know of anything I buy, the bag will be with me a long long time if it is any good so I don't mind spending a bit more on it.
I already have a couple of waterproof compression bags and they're awesome! One doubles up as a bear cache and the other as a pillow.

brian
03-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Oh just thought of another question, what are you guys using for bear caches if you are camping just above the treeline?

Gunner Staal
03-18-2011, 09:31 PM
I use those mesh bags you can buy at almost any outdoor store. Either that or that burlapy bag that your sleeping bag comes in. Little bit of rope and up the tree she goes. Those mesh bags are fantastic. All your mountain house meals and goodies in one bag keeps the pack neat and tidy and your not digging for hours trying to find stuff. Cheers.

Gunner Staal
03-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Ohhhh.....above the tree line.....sorry.....For those high up trips I dont bring many food products that would attract bears. Not really thinking of bears so much but just the fact hey are lighter. Mainly dehydrated noodles and such. The best bear defence above the tree line....My Savage with one in the tube!

mnholt
03-19-2011, 12:50 AM
MSR HubaHuba is a great alpine tent, I use the tatonka lastenkraxe for all my hunts, carries HEAVY loads better than any internal framed pack, I.M.H.O. go get your 6pt this year!