PDA

View Full Version : trophy genetics or not

dino
03-15-2011, 08:08 PM
This is a buck my cam took last year. This is a question for the pro's . Is this a muley you would target in a couple of years or does he look like he just doesnt have the genetics? I have a few other pics but this is the best one.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/IM000649.jpg

mark
03-15-2011, 08:13 PM
I dont care what anyone says, you cannot tell by looking. Only by watching him over the years......he could be a 250" giant someday, or have the identical rack til he dies!

leadpillproductions
03-15-2011, 08:14 PM
It would be nice to see him with his head up

sarg
03-15-2011, 08:36 PM
i would hang him on my wall.

wos
03-15-2011, 08:46 PM
It would be nice to see him with his head up on my wall;)

tomahawk
03-15-2011, 08:52 PM
I dont care what anyone says, you cannot tell by looking. Only by watching him over the years......he could be a 250" giant someday, or have the identical rack til he dies!

Absolutely agree.......

hunter1993ap
03-15-2011, 09:14 PM
I do not care about score all i want is a unique big buck. I would shoot a heavy, poor scoring antlered buck over a skinny long tined mule deer anyday. I also love to see abnormal points as whell, so ya that deer looks like it would be a good deer to take in a few years. Also like mark said you have no clue how much he will grow year after year. I have seen sheds found from the same deer from one year to the next and some deer grow a tremendouse amount and some deer you can hardly tell they changed in a year or more.

dino
03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I guess I will try what Mark says and see if he grows more this year. I may have learned something here, I thought that when I saw a yearling buck that was already a small 4 point that it was a sign that he would turn into a good buck when he matured. Im pretty sure I saw this same buck 2 years ago as a yearling but could not see any definite characteristics that proves that it was other than it was hanging out with another deer that I identified him with the year before. The other deer was actually a whitetail with a definite scar.

dana
03-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Only time will tell. The challenge will be keeping up with him year after year to see what he may or may not become. There are no guarentees in nature. I've seen countless bucks once. And then have never seen them again. Bucks have a lot of things going against them when it comes to living long. Lions, wolves, human hunters, traffic, winter, ect... And if a buck is smart enough and lucky enough to live long, the even bigger challenge will be getting him on the ground, as smarts seem to come with age as well.

Jelvis
03-15-2011, 10:07 PM
three and a half year old (short nose) give em two more seasons than on the third powzer
ears are not cut up or slices so quite young yet.

hunter1947
03-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Put the trial cam back up in the spring as for the fall in the same place add a bit of feed now and then and you night see this same buck this year ,will be interesting to see if ???.

fearnodeer
03-16-2011, 06:53 AM
The worst thing to see is this buck in the back of some other guys truck. Would love to see pics of it next year good luck with it.

kootenayslam
03-16-2011, 07:30 AM

X2

Once read a study done out of the states looking at whether you could tell trophy potential of deer based on the first rack they grow, whether that rack be a spike, 2 point, 3 point, 4 point ect.....the outcome was there was no evidence to link a bucks first rack with his trophy potential.

Just a little info.

I always would "HOPE" there is some trophy potential, thats part of the fun.

dino
03-16-2011, 07:44 AM
X2

Once read a study done out of the states looking at whether you could tell trophy potential of deer based on the first rack they grow, whether that rack be a spike, 2 point, 3 point, 4 point ect.....the outcome was there was no evidence to link a bucks first rack with his trophy potential.

Just a little info.

I always would "HOPE" there is some trophy potential, thats part of the fun.
I guess I was using my own logic based on my experience with humans and other animals. Ive seen large babies grow into large adults because their parents were also large. Lots of times the infant reflects the similaritys of the parents. This was my logic anyways,

Jelvis
09-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Hey dino did you see this buck again?
Jel .. what's happening?