PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Harvest Survey

eastkoot
03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
If you want to do your survey online the website is not up yet but supposed to be in a few days. You'll need your login ID as well. Here's the link.
https://securesurveys.gov.bc.ca/logins/hunter.html

Elkaholic
03-15-2011, 03:39 PM
That is a link to a file on your computer.

eastkoot
03-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry, edited the link should be right this time..

BiG Boar
03-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Nice, will do online next year. Man they ask a lot of questions.

yama49
03-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Just got my form in the mail, will try the internet form this year.

Steeleco
03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
If they get the site up and running???

Caveman
03-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Just got my form in the mail, will try the internet form this year.

The son & I just got ours as well and the site is still in limbo

Everett
03-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Just got mine and fish and wildlife fail yet again. These guys scare the shit out of me if they can't oganize a simple online questionaire do you think they can actualy manage our wildlife. I bet if they sent Mark $20,000 he would have run the whole thing no problem.

Slee
03-16-2011, 08:06 AM
Email from Chris......

Hi slee. I'm sorry the web site is not up. Roll out has not been perfect due to circumstances outside our control. The website should be up tomorrow (March 16) and if you like I can send a note to you once I confirm that.

bigben
03-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Just got mine and fish and wildlife fail yet again. These guys scare the shit out of me if they can't oganize a simple online questionaire do you think they can actualy manage our wildlife. I bet if they sent Mark $20,000 he would have run the whole thing no problem.

Yup I agree what a fiasco :icon_frow the grizzly draw now this................ been trying to get on this for three days oh well try again

Phoneguy
03-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Online questionaire is now working. I just did mine.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

kamloops killer
03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
The Servey is up and running quick and done that easy

BillyBull
03-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Nice easy basic survey, gives an option to add your email also.

03-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Something wrong with the online survey. It's only asking me about Elk, I didn't even buy an elk licence last year. The paper copy is asking about Goat, Sheep, WT. I'm just going to send in the paper copy.

TPB
03-18-2011, 05:55 PM
The paper copy asked me about elk only, same with the online one. Im not sure what is up with yours .270, or maybe mine?

yama49
03-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Really liked the online survey, quick and easy.. I think more will get done this way, once people try it... jmo

03-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Did the online survey ask everybody only about elk?

mcrae
03-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Did mine online couldn't have been easier. So what if we had to wait a couple extra days to use the online survey option? Some of you guys gripe about the weirdest things:lol:

CanuckShooter
03-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Pretty silly...you cannot fill in the survey unless they mail you a login ID...

eastkoot
03-19-2011, 09:52 AM
If you don't get mailed a logon ID, they don't want to hear from you:roll:

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2011, 09:56 AM

You just know that's gonna make CS feel marginalized. :lol:

Perhaps they should send him a coupon for free therapy to get over it?

CanuckShooter
03-19-2011, 10:19 AM

Typical....always bitching because FN won't report harvest stats and then they don't send you the paperwork???

Caveman
03-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Just did mine. They asked about Elk,Moose and Whitetail, same as the paper copy. Login info in the middle of the text in the box. Simple to use

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Typical....always bitching because FN won't report harvest stats and then they don't send you the paperwork???

Someday someone should explain the concept of random sampling to you.

CanuckShooter
03-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Someday someone should explain the concept of random sampling to you.

Don't ask and you will never know aboriginal harvesting stats......:eek:.....random don't cut it bucko!!~!! Why go off half-baked, when more data is readily available?? The larger the sample the more accurate the results....19 times out of 20....:biggrin:

lovemywinchester
03-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I just did mine as well. Just dropped it in the mailbox near my place, prepaid envelope so in she goes. My survey asked about WT, if I shot any wolves and if I hunted any birds and what I harvested. They must tailor the survey to where you are living. I was surprised they didn`t ask about all the animals you harvest. I think it would be valuable info to know how many mulies were taken as well as any bear or predators.

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Don't ask and you will never know aboriginal harvesting stats......:eek:.....random don't cut it bucko!!~!! Why go off half-baked, when more data is readily available?? The larger the sample the more accurate the results....19 times out of 20....:biggrin:

Like I said, someone should explain random sampling to you. You don't have a clue.

budismyhorse
03-19-2011, 08:21 PM

Random DOES cut it actually .......

you will never EVER get 100% return so you will be taking a partial, or random sample no matter how many you put out........

CanuckShooter
03-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Random DOES cut it actually .......

you will never EVER get 100% return so you will be taking a partial, or random sample no matter how many you put out........

With a sample size of 10 you get way less accurate results than you get with a sample size of 100 or 1,000 or 10,000....19 times out of 20 :biggrin:

AND when you don't target your sample group you can get wildly skewed numbers..........your sample group could be demographic, age, sex, cultural background, religion....for example.....all would create swings in the results...the larger the sample the more accurate the results.....plain and simple as taught in rudimentary accounting classes..

bowhunterbruce
03-20-2011, 11:07 AM
maybe if they did taylor the survey to every animals you bought tags for and areas in which you hunted for them and added bonus points to your hunter number that would increase your odds during any limited entry draws you put in for.
they would probably have a way better partisipaction level on both the surveys and the leh tags sold.jmo
bhb

ianwuzhere
03-20-2011, 11:37 AM
completed my survey online- was very easy- i like it better then mailing..now maybe ill be luckier this year with lehs ;)

300wsm
03-20-2011, 12:08 PM
With a sample size of 10 you get way less accurate results than you get with a sample size of 100 or 1,000 or 10,000....19 times out of 20 :biggrin:

AND when you don't target your sample group you can get wildly skewed numbers..........your sample group could be demographic, age, sex, cultural background, religion....for example.....all would create swings in the results...the larger the sample the more accurate the results.....plain and simple as taught in rudimentary accounting classes..

Don't think i learned that in my accounting classes....pretty sure i studied in in statistics.
random is better for many reasons. it is counter intuitive but true. For instance if retired folks are more likely to fill it out and send it in you are getting a different type of hunter, perhaps with more time to hunt, more experience and a higher success rate. Not a good representation of the overall sample.

JMHO
300wsm

Eatmeat
03-20-2011, 02:07 PM
completed my survey online- was very easy- i like it better then mailing..now maybe ill be luckier this year with lehs ;)

my survey online was easy to.

Probably because it didn't bag any thing last year! What a looser....

budismyhorse
03-21-2011, 10:43 AM

when your sample size increases......so does the random sample to account for it.......what kind of experience do you have with this type of thing besides your own assumptions? You sound like you've never actually studied or worked with any sampling program to be honest. If you've no experience with the subject, why don't you quit confounding the issue and confusing the people that might be trying to learn something from this site.

......and accounting would have absolutely nothing to do with this subject...wow.

03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

Don't you mean - when you do target your sample group you can get willdly skewed numbers...?

Thus the meaning of random (not targetting any one group).

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 08:07 AM
when your sample size increases......so does the random sample to account for it.......what kind of experience do you have with this type of thing besides your own assumptions? You sound like you've never actually studied or worked with any sampling program to be honest. If you've no experience with the subject, why don't you quit confounding the issue and confusing the people that might be trying to learn something from this site.

......and accounting would have absolutely nothing to do with this subject...wow.

What sort of background do you have on this subject?

I studied accounting for several years, at one point in my life I was within two years of university study away from a CA degree. Statistics was a part of my studies as was auditing, costing and a multitude of other subjects.

MY statement: ""With a sample size of 10 you get way less accurate results than you get with a sample size of 100 or 1,000 or 10,000....19 times out of 20 :biggrin:""

YOUR statement: ""when your sample size increases......so does the random sample to account for it.""

Unless I am mistaken we both said the same thing.:wink:

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Don't you mean - when you do target your sample group you can get willdly skewed numbers...?

Thus the meaning of random (not targetting any one group).

No....I meant if your sample group is smallish....you need to take care that your sample is large enough to capture a 'random' sample by targetting. ie. you would want to make sure your not sending too many into urban households, or unemployed households, or senior citizens.

I said: "the larger the sample the more accurate the results"

budismyhorse
03-23-2011, 08:24 AM

I studied accounting for several years, at one point in my life I was within two years of university study away from a CA degree. Statistics was a part of my studies as was auditing, costing and a multitude of other subjects.

MY statement: ""With a sample size of 10 you get way less accurate results than you get with a sample size of 100 or 1,000 or 10,000....19 times out of 20 :biggrin:""

YOUR statement: ""when your sample size increases......so does the random sample to account for it.""

Unless I am mistaken we both said the same thing.:wink:

You seem to be arguing (and I'm only trying to read through your blurry statements, so I could be wrong) that the province isn't taking a large enough random sample.......

what gives you the background and evidence to argue something like that?

then in one of your posts you seem to indicate that random isn't good enough....anything else is not feasible or reliable CS. If it isn't random and controlled, its a statistical reality that one user group would in fact OVER reply and another would under reply....therefore you would actually be biasing your data FAR worse than any completely random sample would.

btw, I have worked directly with population/survey estimates daily for the past 15 yrs.......and I stress, this has nothing to do with accounting.........and there is no such thing as a CA degree......you can attain CA (Charted Accountant) status with several years experience with a bachelors degree in accounting....

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 08:51 AM

budismyhorse
03-23-2011, 08:53 AM
what makes you think they are not asking FN's?

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 08:59 AM
haven't been surveyed in 10 years or so.....if they don't ask how will they know?? why have online survey, and then restrict participation??

bighornbob
03-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Everyone with a University degree was at one point two years from a CA degree. Since a degree is four years and your first two are usually spent doing general studies of all sorts of stuff, I guess at one point I too was a couple years away from CA degree. For that matter, I was a couple years away from an Engineering degree as well as a computor science degree as well as degree in Psychology and probably another 10 degrees.

BHB

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Everyone with a University degree was at one point two years from a CA degree. Since a degree is four years and your first two are usually spent doing general studies of all sorts of stuff, I guess at one point I too was a couple years away from CA degree. For that matter, I was a couple years away from an Engineering degree as well as a computor science degree as well as degree in Psychology and probably another 10 degrees.

BHB

Kool......35 years ago they told me two years at UBC and I'd have my CA degree....it's too bad you never went a couple extra years and got yourself a good education. :-D

budismyhorse
03-23-2011, 09:25 AM
haven't been surveyed in 10 years or so.....if they don't ask how will they know?? why have online survey, and then restrict participation??

ok, I see, so you personally haven't been surveyed in 10 years.......

Your Stats prof at UBC should have tought you:

That is an N value of 1.........don't you understand that in order to form a solid opinion.......you should INCREASE your sample size.........that way you get better results 19 times out of 20 BUCKO!:mrgreen:

Can't you see the insane irony in your position? Maybe ask 1000 FN's that purchase hunting lisences whether or not they are being surveyed........then you'll have some evidence to support your theory.

Do you buy a lisence and tags every year? Because if you do, and you are not getting surveyed....that is a problem right there.

CanuckShooter
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
ok, I see, so you personally haven't been surveyed in 10 years.......

Your Stats prof at UBC should have tought you:

That is an N value of 1.........don't you understand that in order to form a solid opinion.......you should INCREASE your sample size.........that way you get better results 19 times out of 20 BUCKO!:mrgreen:

Can't you see the insane irony in your position? Maybe ask 1000 FN's that purchase hunting lisences whether or not they are being surveyed........then you'll have some evidence to support your theory.

Do you buy a lisence and tags every year? Because if you do, and you are not getting surveyed....that is a problem right there.

I concede you are way smarter than me. 19 times out of 20. :mrgreen:

I buy tags and licenses, and send in LEH cards....and don't get survey cards...haven't in years. BTW when they do send cards they never ask you if your FNs....guess it doesn't compute??

Fisher-Dude
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM

A CA "degree?" What's that? CA's have designations, like I do, not degrees. IF you were so close to being a CA, you'd know that too. Just sayin'...

troutseeker
03-23-2011, 06:01 PM
None of their business, lol...

troutseeker
03-23-2011, 06:05 PM
A CA "degree?" What's that? CA's have designations, like I do, not degrees. IF you were so close to being a CA, you'd know that too. Just sayin'...

I think you are both right...:p To be CA you do need a degree first then you get the designation. To be a CGA you just take some course adn some on the job training, :biggrin:

Fisher-Dude
03-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I think you are both right...:p To be CA you do need a degree first then you get the designation. To be a CGA you just take some course adn some on the job training, :biggrin:

Incorrect. You need a Bachelors in order to get into the CGA program as well. Then, depending on your credits from your Bachelors, you may spend 2.5 to 5 years in the CGA program.

Point is, there's no "CA degree" or "CGA degree." They are designations gained from the respective association's program of studies, after a Bachelors (usually of Commerce) is attained.

SimilkameenSlayer
02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
just done my survey, what happens to the data?

Good2bCanadian
02-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Got mine in the mail today