PDA

View Full Version : Ravens- Schedule C or not?

Mr. Friendly
03-14-2011, 05:36 PM
recent post on another forum, a B'Columbian put down a house sparrow with a bow and started to get flack for it, even though it's classed as a schedule 'c' animal, allowing it to be destroyed on sight.

I was reviewing and saw that the crow can be also be destroyed on sight, except the raven. Am I reading this right or is the legalese just saying they are schedule c', but unlike the crow, you don't need to hold a current license to shoot them down?

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/lower-mainland/wildlife/species/species_lists.htm

thanks for helping me clarify.

Fisher-Dude
03-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Ravens are not Schedule C and can only be hunted in a legal raven season on private land.

Mr. Friendly
03-14-2011, 05:55 PM
interesting. thanks for the clarification. :)

timberhunter
03-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Hehe

you can't shoot ravens. But you are allowed to shoot those boone and crocket crows.:tongue:

Darksith
03-14-2011, 06:04 PM
ravens mate for life, and IMO should be given respect, unlike crows that are a nusiance, you don't see many ravens in urban areas.

Moose Guide
03-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Ravens are not Schedule C and can only be hunted in a legal raven season on private land.

In region 4 they can be hunted on crown land

Moose Guide
03-14-2011, 11:09 PM
ravens mate for life, and IMO should be given respect, unlike crows that are a nusiance, you don't see many ravens in urban areas.

Ravens are a pain in the butt, but I'll remember to salute them after I shoot

BiG Boar
03-15-2011, 12:12 AM
I heard they blind baby elk at birth. Any truth to that?

I do wonder why there is a bag limit of 5 and weather or not you have to keep the meat?

Mr. Dean
03-15-2011, 02:50 AM
I heard they blind baby elk at birth. Any truth to that?

I do wonder why there is a bag limit of 5 and weather or not you have to keep the meat?

Trophy only... No meat retention required.

BiG Boar
03-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Trophy only... No meat retention required.

Does that mean you have to take the "pelt" home? Like a coyote? Or can you leave them as you would a rat? Beautiful animals if you could get a big one mounted.

Cariboo Game Calls
03-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Ravens can be legally killed on private land in Region 5 from Mar 1 to April 31. You can only shoot 5 in each of those months and I will definitely be taking my limit.

I wish more people would get out and whack these black buggers as well as a few crows because they destroy so many duck, goose and other types of bird eggs as well as the young.

Ravens are also known to peck the eyes out of new born calves which is apparently one of the reasons they open them during the calving season in the Cariboo.

steepNdeep
03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I'd never heard of this before, but just googled it:

http://www.sheepscreek.com/rural/predator.html

Ravens will peck the head of an animal, then gouge out the eyes, ultimately killing the animal by fracturing the skull. Magpies have also been known to peck at the back of a sheep, just ahead of the pelvis, until the body cavity is open. Black-headed buzzards peck the eyes out of nannies and ewes when they are kidding/lambing, steal the newborn, and return for the carrion when the ewe or nanny dies.

Squamch
03-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Ravens are also open on private land on saltspring island to protect the sheep.

oldschoolguy
03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
If you're shooting to protect livestock or property there's no limit. Under the agricultural laws you can kill pretty much anything that's damaging. Heck, I have some friends that live on the edge of the boonies, and the bears were destroying the corn crops....to the tune of $25-30,000. They ended up killing five bears to save some of the corn

behemoth
03-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Geese mate for life too, should I stop shooting them???

yamadirt 426
03-15-2011, 04:12 PM
I have a hard time believing these birds peck the eyes out and fracture skulls.

Spokerider
03-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Ravens are an asset to cat hunters and also an asset to those who utilize the still hunting technique. For those that have the gumption to observe and learn from the clues that these smart birds provide you with, it will add a valuable facet to your hunting strategies.

None will fall from my hand.

Pyro
03-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Other than the size difference, and the deeper sound ravens make, is there a surefire way to tell them apart from crows?

elkdom
03-15-2011, 06:18 PM

you obviously haven't spent a winter up north, :-? THOUSANDS of Ravens swarm every TOWN and hang around ALL winter, spreading garbage, $hittin all over every vehicle and building,,, the RAVENS are here all year round,

crows migrate south from extreme cold areas, banded crows have been traced several thousand kms , all the way from northern Canada to the mid USA,

crows and ravens are nest robbers,and do much damage to water-foul and songbirds

twopointertom
03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
This are my field notes based on years of experience--- err, what the internet says about crows vs. ravens

Crows average around 17 inches long, and ravens about 24-27.

A raven weighs about four times that of a crow.
Crows have a wing span around 2.5 ft., and ravens about 3.5-4 ft.
A raven's wing sometimes makes a prominent "swish, swish" sound, while a crow's wingbeat is usually silient.
Ravens have pointed wings, while crows have a more blunt and splayed wing tip.
Crows have a fan-shaped tail (squared-off), while raven tails are long and wege-shaped.
Besides having a bigger, more powerful bill, a raven's bill is curved, while a crow has a more-or-less flat bill. Additionally, atop a raven's bill is a tuft of hairs absent on crows.
As a result of being larger and more powerful, ravens are the more efficient predator. (Predation is a very small percentage of crow and raven diets.)While both are commited to being vociferous omnivores, ravens are drawn to carrion (especially sheep), while crows may be less picky

a crow's call is a "caw" and a raven's is a low and slow croak

twopointertom
03-15-2011, 06:21 PM
The crows are from adelaide, south australia, and the ravens are from Baltimore.

elkdom
03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Ravens can be legally killed on private land in Region 5 from Mar 1 to April 31. You can only shoot 5 in each of those months and I will definitely be taking my limit.

I wish more people would get out and whack these black buggers as well as a few crows because they destroy so many duck, goose and other types of bird eggs as well as the young.

Ravens are also known to peck the eyes out of new born calves which is apparently one of the reasons they open them during the calving season in the Cariboo.

x2, cattle are "calving" at this time near Dawson Creek, RAVENS actually attack and feed on new born calves as they are being born also pecking at the cow while giving birth,
fortunately I have permission( by request) of several ranchers, on their property any RAVEN I can blow up, is a bonus for future deer/elk season access privileges!:wink:

Heavy Metal
03-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Well I personally dont care either way, but just be carefull who ya tell about your recent raven killings. Im pretty sure that some indians believe that ravens are the rencarnation of their loved ones.

elkdom
03-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Well I personally dont care either way, but just be carefull who ya tell about your recent raven killings. Im pretty sure that some indians believe that ravens are the rencarnation of their loved ones.

I just told the world! and I don't care who's gramma I blew-up!:twisted:

Heavy Metal
03-15-2011, 06:34 PM
hahahahahaha yah good on ya just thought Id point that out. Giver shit for all I care:)

Jelvis
03-15-2011, 06:38 PM
If I see anyone shooting a true raven in my hunting spots he or she is getting an earful and I ain't eating crow either.
Jel ( Respect True Ravens ) Hunter's friends in the bush ... Raven no Mis Beehavin ..
Crows hey they live down the coast .. Raven's Rock .. IMHO .. Do Not Shoot Ravens .. at all .. Walk Tall ..

elkdom
03-15-2011, 06:44 PM
If I see anyone shooting a true raven in my hunting spots he or she is getting an earful and I ain't eating crow either.
Jel ( Respect True Ravens ) Hunter's friends in the bush ... Raven no Mis Beehavin ..
Crows hey they live down the coast .. Raven's Rock .. IMHO .. Do Not Shoot Ravens .. at all ..

well aint nobody going to "get seen" in your hunting spots,

bring all your RESPECT up here to Dawson Creek and FtSt John cause there is

about 10,000 ravens hanging around the garbage dumps!:-?

Moose Guide
03-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Crows hey they live down the coast .. Raven's Rock .. IMHO .. Do Not Shoot Ravens .. at all .. Walk Tall ..

If you give me an earful for a legal kill I might feed you a raven, Jelly who shoulda bin quiet but started a riot, eatin a shit hawk for given some lip talk:mrgreen:

Jelvis
03-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Moose Guide can ryme big time better than mine ... some of thee time
the raven tells me stories, the raven keeps me company waiting for me to get my deer, steering me along, to the deer means a quiet riot, my names Schlipedoff the russian rocket.
Jelly Legal or Not Abstain, refrain, think again, sun or rain, raven lives, the deer gives. TiT 4 TAT new camo hat

Moose Guide
03-15-2011, 08:06 PM
You talk to the birds, a bird brain you are
you musta got hit by a boat of a car
smacked in the head, bounced off the hood
flung through the fence and into the wood
so then in a heap you looked up above
shit on by a raven you thought you found love
but the raven he left right where you fell
cause you don't ever shower and ravens can smell:mrgreen:

CabinFever
03-15-2011, 08:13 PM
You talk to the birds, a bird brain you are
you musta got hit by a boat of a car
smacked in the head, bounced off the hood
flung through the fence and into the wood
so then in a heap you looked up above
shit on by a raven you thought you found love
but the raven he left right where you fell
cause you don't ever shower and ravens can smell:mrgreen:

Now that is some classic stuff right there ***** :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Jelvis
03-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Raven will guide me to my moose ... then wait on the roost
Then I let loose ---> BAM <--- down go dah moose ---> Raven get's a roast <---
Jelly Raven and meat he is Craven A .. be a Player's .. Export Eh? .. Paul Mall
Do more eee eh .. lol .. Peter Jacks Soon .. Number 7 .. John Player .. Taylor Made .. Menthol Mint

Moose Guide
03-15-2011, 08:17 PM
A friend of mine whined a raven don't shoot
the natives revere them and so does this coot
a spiritual bird with magical gifts
if I continued to shoot them he sure would be mift
so I said I could tell the magical ones
and could prove that alright with my coyotee gun
the magical ones you can tell right enough
when you shoot em just right their feathers go puff:mrgreen:

timberhunter
03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Hahahahahahahaha

Go mooseguide go.:mrgreen:

Moose Guide
03-15-2011, 08:29 PM
next you'll love hippies who I love to broom
their beads go a flying dust fills the room
or maybe a racoon, a skunk or a rat
I love the mooses, oh please don't shoot that
I think I'll still shoot them for sport or for fun
a ravens a pest and I have a gun
and now you can see I know how to ryme
its easy to do most any old time:mrgreen:

killman
03-15-2011, 08:35 PM
A friend of mine whined a raven don't shoot
the natives revere them and so does this coot
a spiritual bird with magical gifts
if I continued to shoot them he sure would be mift
so I said I could tell the magical ones
and could prove that alright with my coyotee gun
the magical ones you can tell right enough
when you shoot em just right their feathers go puff:mrgreen:

Awesome!:lol::lol::lol:

Jelvis
03-15-2011, 08:36 PM
The raven king way up high on his perch, shifting his eyes in a wide open search
what does he see as he looks down on the ground
a loose cannon with no earthly culture, treating a raven like a turkey vulture
This killer will fall and trip ... breaking his hip .. you were mis bee haven shootin a real raven ..
See yah in the fall ...................................lol.... you slipped
Jelly Rippon .................................................. your ripped
.................................................. ................. you flipped

Johnnybear
03-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Even when their dead they try getting those eyeballs! (not mine or anyone I know just found it on the net)

http://www.dunamis.belarusinfo.by/data/big/P1010337.jpg

I agree with Bigbore that a nice biggun would look good stuffed.

Here on the Rock they aren't as big of a problem as some other places in the Province. I guess it would be up to the managers to decide if they should open up some more M-U's for ravens in those area's with very high populations.

I actually find the opposite of Jelvis and think that they give my location away and warn the deer!

Moose Guide
03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
The raven king way up high on his perch, shifting his eyes in a wide open search
what does he see as he looks down on the ground
a loose cannon with no earthly culture, treating a raven like a turkey vulture
This killer will fall and trip ... breaking his hip .. you were mis bee haven shootin a real raven ..
See yah in the fall ...................................lol.... you slipped
Jelly Rippon .................................................. your ripped
.................................................. ................. you flipped

The raven king up high on his perch
left his dear branch with an awkwardish lurch
his feathers half gone his inards a mess
that shot was 250 and not an inch less
then up from the bushes a sad mournful wail
it's Jelly Suzuki now lost on the trail
I feel so bad, now what have I done
I killed his best deer guide with my coyotee gun
Oh well I feel better there's nothing to fear
they only show Jelly long rotten deer
down to the carcass, I race with a shout
I pee on the raven to watch Jelly flip out:mrgreen:

Cariboo Game Calls
03-16-2011, 07:24 AM
Don't quit your day job guys!:mrgreen:

Squamch
03-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Did this just turn into a freestyle rap battle?

Blktail
03-16-2011, 05:31 PM

My friends raise sheep on Saltspring. They have lost many lambs to ravens over the years. The ravens will try to kill them during the birth process. The larger sheep, when they get stuck in a hole or on their backs have their bellies pecked open. I don't know if they can crack the skull of a lamb, but I wouldn't doubt it.

In Colwood, there is a pair of ravens that, during the last 3 mating seasons, rip the windshield wiper rubber and window seals out of cars that are parked near a bakery. They even pulled the rubber seal around the store window. I have been asked to deal with them, but the problem is a legal or acceptable way to kill them. A permit is required there too.

Moose Guide
03-16-2011, 05:40 PM
We used to raise geese and lost many goslings to them!

boothcreek
03-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Raising Sheep, Cattle and Exotic/Unusual Fowl of all sorts Ravens are a mixed blessing. One year we had a pair that would steal every egg, chick, and injure any lamb/calf it could get its beaks on(breeding season was over and I had no offspring of any species to show for it).
That pair was smart, fled as soon as they heard the door open. One day their luck ran out *insert some devilishly lookin smiley*

The past 2 years we had a pair that wont walk into my coops to steal eggs out of nest, chicks from their mothers or bother anything else so at this point they are welcome since they fiercly protect their territory from hawks/owls(even bigger problems for me). As long as they know their boundaries they are liked. One of my favorit birds honestly, would love one as a pet.

I am trying to mount one a friend of mine shot off of one of her Geese this winter. Beautiful big male. As long as he was frozen she kept him on the barn roof to keep other ravens away but now with the warm weather I will mount and scotchguard him to serve for a couple more months as raven deterrant.

Them buggers can be hard to shoot, ours all know the sound of the door opening.

kyleklassen
03-16-2011, 05:51 PM
they'll peck open every can in a 6pk left in a creek.

Blktail
03-16-2011, 06:34 PM
they'll peck open every can in a 6pk left in a creek.

OMG! They must die for that!

Darksith
03-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Geese mate for life too, should I stop shooting them???

Do you eat geese? What about ravens?

you obviously haven't spent a winter up north, :-? THOUSANDS of Ravens swarm every TOWN and hang around ALL winter, spreading garbage, $hittin all over every vehicle and building,,, the RAVENS are here all year round,

crows migrate south from extreme cold areas, banded crows have been traced several thousand kms , all the way from northern Canada to the mid USA,

crows and ravens are nest robbers,and do much damage to water-foul and songbirds
Define north...I am from the north. Ravens travel in pairs not flocks. Are you sure your not thinking of crows.

elkdom
03-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Do you eat geese? What about ravens?

Define north...I am from the north. Ravens travel in pairs not flocks. Are you sure your not thinking of crows.

Dawson Creek, FtSt John, Tumbler is north, 1000's of the squakin,$hittin on everthing BIG BLACK garbage disposals(RAVENS) in every town and village all winter, in spring most of them move back out in the bush,,,

and there are NO crows here from mid-fall until about the same time the Robins return in the spring!

Jehiah
03-17-2011, 12:35 AM
hunting is pretty difficult to keep in a positive light with the public; killing "because its legal" is impossible.

I dont care what your motivations are for hunting an animal/bird and you had better make use of its meat and/or pelt everytime and look good doing it or dont bother shooting.

The Dude
03-17-2011, 02:37 AM
I understand that you can make a Raven able to talk if you split its tongue with a razor blade when it's a chick. Sounds like a harsh way to make a parrot, but I've always wanted one as a pet, split or no split.
Personally I like Ravens. I find them iconic. I like sitting in the bush, glassing for deer or elk, and hearing their tell-tale swish swish swish of wings over head that seems loud in the stillness. That's how I know it's really quiet, when a bird's wings make me jump. :D
I don't have a problem with them, but I imagine if I was losing sheep or fowl to them I'd harden the f*** up pretty quickly.

Interesting stuff about Ravens from Wikipedia:

The brains of Common Ravens count among the largest of any bird species. Specifically, their hyperpallium (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hyperpallium&action=edit&redlink=1) is large (see avian pallium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avian_pallium)). For a bird, they display ability in problem solving, as well as other cognitive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive) processes such as imitation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imitation) and insight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insight_phenomenology).[64] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-birdinblack-63)
One experiment designed to evaluate insight and problem-solving (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem-solving) ability involved a piece of meat attached to a string hanging from a perch. To reach the food, the bird needed to stand on the perch, pull the string up a little at a time, and step on the loops to gradually shorten the string. Four of five Common Ravens eventually succeeded, and "the transition from no success (ignoring the food or merely yanking at the string) to constant reliable access (pulling up the meat) occurred with no demonstrable trial-and-error (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial-and-error) learning" This supports the hypothesis that Common Ravens are 'inventors'; that is, they have the ability to solve problems presented to them. Many of the Common Raven's problem-solving (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem-solving) skills were formerly thought to be instinctive, but it is becoming clear that Common Ravens are actually quite intelligent.[65] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-64)
Common Ravens have been observed to manipulate others into doing work for them, such as by calling wolves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolves) and coyotes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote) to the site of dead animals. The canines open the carcass, making it more accessible to the birds.[64] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-birdinblack-63) They watch where other Common Ravens bury their food and remember the locations of each other's food caches, so they can steal from them. This type of theft occurs so regularly that Common Ravens will fly extra distances from a food source to find better hiding places for food.[66] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-65) They have also been observed pretending to make a cache without actually depositing the food, presumably to confuse onlookers.[67] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-66)

Common Ravens are known to steal and cache shiny objects such as pebbles, pieces of metal, and golf balls. One theory is that they hoard shiny objects to impress other ravens.[68] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-67) Other research indicates that juveniles are deeply curious about all new things, and that Common Ravens retain an attraction to bright, round objects based on their similarity to bird eggs. Mature birds lose their intense interest in the unusual, and become highly neophobic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neophobia).[69] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-68)
Playful behavior

In recent years, biologists have recognized that birds engage in play (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_%28activity%29). Juvenile Common Ravens are among the most playful of bird species. They have been observed to slide down snowbanks, apparently purely for fun. They even engage in games with other species, such as playing catch-me-if-you-can with wolves and dogs.[70] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-69) Common Ravens are known for spectacular aerobatic displays, such as flying in loops or interlocking talons with each other in flight.[71] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-70)[72] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-71)
They are also one of only a few species who make their own toys. They have been observed breaking off twigs to play with socially.[73] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Raven#cite_note-72)

Torch
06-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Ravens killed 5 of our 8 chickens this morning... Now i learn they like baby goats which we also have...so where can i found out for sure if i can blast them...There's 4-6 of them and they've been hanging around for days and chased the owls away... wife's getting a new gun just for them as my .22 is buggered (any suggestions). We live outside PG and are in a rural area of farms and ranches....

Ambush
06-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Ravens killed 5 of our 8 chickens this morning... Now i learn they like baby goats which we also have...so where can i found out for sure if i can blast them.....

In your area you may hunt ravens, on private property, with the permission of the land owner. Sounds like you got it covered. Blast away.

Torch
06-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Well, I'll go ask myself if i can blast ravens.... oh look I said YES!!!

Woohoo!

Paybacks gonna be a bitch... off to the gun store!

Livewire322
06-17-2011, 08:42 PM
if it is in defence of livestock then shoot away brother!!

Moose Guide
06-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Well, I'll go ask myself if i can blast ravens.... oh look I said YES!!!

Woohoo!

Paybacks gonna be a bitch... off to the gun store!

Put a chicken egg in the middle of the yard and wait out of sight with a shotgun!!! :twisted:

Big Lew
06-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I've enjoyed this thread....clever and witty poetic banter....very interesting information as well, good stuff!

buckhunter
06-17-2011, 09:15 PM
winged rats!

Torch
06-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Guys, my wife is SOOOO pissed it's not even funny...even the neighbours are on board, so If I can see em I can shoot em. And I'm going to get a gun out of the deal :)

So should I get a .17hmr or .22mag ??? there a little to smart for a shotgun i think....

Ambush
06-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Either shotgun them or bait them on the ground and rifle them.
Don't shoot at them in the trees with a rifle. Too many "non targets' in your area for stray bullets.
Pick a smaller caliber that you don't already own, keeping coyotes and range fun in mind.

Forget the 22 mag.

buckhunter
06-17-2011, 09:50 PM
shotgun at close range would make them go "puff" and "disappear" at the same time!

phoenix
06-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Either shotgun them or bait them on the ground and rifle them.
Don't shoot at them in the trees with a rifle. Too many "non targets' in your area for stray bullets.
Pick a smaller caliber that you don't already own, keeping coyotes and range fun in mind.

Forget the 22 mag.
x2 on this
Kim

Wolfman
06-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Way to tell it brother.

Why in the frack would anyone want to kill ravens?

SHAKER
06-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Does that mean you have to take the "pelt" home? Like a coyote? Or can you leave them as you would a rat? Beautiful animals if you could get a big one mounted.

I've mounted several of them.... Look great! and when ever I get one in the shop everyone wants one too! Amazingly not much meat on them and really dark like a spruce grouse.

kishman
06-18-2011, 12:58 AM

Well I can't say I've seen Ravens do this, I have seen Magpies attacking newborn calves when I was a kid back in Sask.

Ltbullken
06-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Ravens are NOT Schedule C and can only be hunted within an open season. As for getting flack over killing a sparrow... most if not all the Sched C animals are non-indigenous so I have no problem with culling them from habitat (... and that goes for feral pigs and horses) that should support indigenous animals.