PDA

View Full Version : Special Sheep Permit Officially Back On!

jml11
03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Several of us have known the permit was back; however, quite a few did not know this was the case. The government has officially announced it online and you should be able to buy applications pretty soon if not already. Deadline for 2011 hunt is July 15th!

"The Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch is pleased to announce that the Special Mountain Sheep Resident Draw (previously known at the Mountain Sheep Special Limited Entry Hunt) has been re-instated. This authorization provides a special opportunity to hunt your choice of Thinhorn Sheep (Dall’s and Stone’s) or Bighorn Sheep (California and Rocky Mountain) and to support conservation efforts that will benefit mountain sheep in British Columbia."

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html#Special

This thread was intended for notification only and not to debate the permit itself. Glad to see the permit back as a fundraising source for future projects!

BlacktailStalker
03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
That is great !!
Next... roosevelt :)

srupp
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
THANKS for the update..appreciated..

Steven

BCrams
03-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Will buy a couple tickets as always.

ThinAir
03-14-2011, 02:35 PM
You guys don't need to buy tickets....cause I'm gonna win:mrgreen:

d6dan
03-14-2011, 02:38 PM
You guys don't need to buy tickets....cause I'm gonna win:mrgreen:

Now that right there is funny shit! :mrgreen:..

JK, good luck. :-D

Wild Images
03-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Now I get to shoot two rams this year :mrgreen:

troutseeker
03-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Definitely gonna try this!

BiG Boar
03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know the average odds of the draw? How much money is being raised for this one tag? If I knew I had great chances, I would buy lots, but if I knew the odds were incredibly slim I would buy my lotto ticket of 1. Please PM me.

Whonnock Boy
03-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know the average odds of the draw? How much money is being raised for this one tag? If I knew I had great chances, I would buy lots, but if I knew the odds were incredibly slim I would buy my lotto ticket of 1. Please PM me.

9000 to 1??

jml11
03-14-2011, 05:03 PM

I've hear it ranges from 1,000 to 1,500:1 but don't quote me on that...could easily be much, much higher.

BCrams
03-14-2011, 05:27 PM

I may be wrong, but I beleive there was one fellow who bought quite a few thousand dollars worth of tickets (the one BHB referred to) and he won the tag and also took a monster Rocky Mtn Bighorn in the East Koots.

yama49
03-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Glad to see, its back on. I'm going to buy a couple tickets, to support the cause. Does anybody know what the non-res tag went for?

Brett
03-14-2011, 05:51 PM
what are tickets worth?

Shade Tree
03-14-2011, 05:57 PM
What was the reason it was canceled in the first place?

srupp
03-14-2011, 06:02 PM
hmmm went to lay down for a nap before nites and all I could think of was sheep draw..:mrgreen: sheeesh counting sheep like thaty does not help one sleep..lol

So while I was thinking...going EARLIER may get first dibs but doesnt help the chances??

Going late ie East kootenays "may" have the snow drive some rams out of the back country and into lower winter ranges..and help with visible tracks in the snow...
Is this the BEST plan when I win???:tongue:

cheers

Steven

Whonnock Boy
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Ok, now that I have thought about it, I seem to remember the resident tag generating 35 or 40 thousand working out to 2300 to 2600 to 1. The auction was around 125,000. One of the "Stataholics" should be piping up soon to get a definite answer. :-D

Stone Sheep Steve
03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
I may be wrong, but I beleive there was one fellow who bought quite a few thousand dollars worth of tickets (the one BHB referred to) and he won the tag and also took a monster Rocky Mtn Bighorn in the East Koots.

IIRC-I believe it took him two yrs to win. He held the majority of the tickets when he finally won.
It worked out A LOT cheaper than buying the auction permit.

SSS

srupp
03-14-2011, 06:24 PM
hmmm so if someone buys 1,000 tickets @ $10 ticket..$10k...compared to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

money well spent if ya got it..

steven

Whonnock Boy
03-14-2011, 06:31 PM
hmmm so if someone buys 1,000 tickets @ $10 ticket..$10k...compared to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

money well spent if ya got it..

steven

Previous tickets were $15 a piece plus tax. I am assuming they will be the same.

Kitimat Killer
03-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Now I get to shoot two rams this year :mrgreen:

its a great feeling thats for sure, im glad its back going to start buying them again

kk

4 point
03-14-2011, 07:59 PM
A co-worker of mine had the draw a couple years back and he won with one ticket bought.

Kitimat Killer
03-14-2011, 07:59 PM

the odds when i won the tag in 2006 to the fall of 07 was 3000 to 1 just to let ppl know also about the tag if you win you will become a life member of the wild sheep foundation it sure was a great experiance of a life time

kk

slyfox
03-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Kitimat killer is that the ram that you got with the draw in your avatar.

Kitimat Killer
03-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Kitimat killer is that the ram that you got with the draw in your avatar.

ya that was the ram he scored 180

kk

sheephunter17
03-14-2011, 10:14 PM
is there a raffle or special permit for non residents?

bighornbob
03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
is there a raffle or special permit for non residents?

No raffle for non residents but a tag is auctioned off each year and sells for close $100,000. Not sure what it sold for this year.

BHB

bridger
03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
there are two tags under the premieres special sheep permit program. one goes to non residents and is auctioned off at the wild sheep society convention in the states each year and the other goes to residents of bc. these tickets are sold under an leh system. as a resident you can buy as many tickets as you want to pay for. just like lotto 6/49

slyfox
03-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Awesome ram congrat,s i have taken a stone going to hunt the fraser this year cali,s.

Confused
03-14-2011, 10:30 PM
there are two tags under the premieres special sheep permit program. one goes to non residents and is auctioned off at the wild sheep society convention in the states each year and the other goes to residents of bc. these tickets are sold under an leh system. as a resident you can buy as many tickets as you want to pay for. just like lotto 6/49

This is not entirely true, anyone can buy the auction tag, resident or non resident. Although I don't beleive a resident has ever bought the special BC auction tag. I think a canadian has bought the KIB tag in the past though, and I believe a bc resident bought the alberta premiers tag this last year.

Sorry for the hijack.

Deaddog
03-14-2011, 10:38 PM
No raffle for non residents but a tag is auctioned off each year and sells for close $100,000. Not sure what it sold for this year.

BHB

went for 140,000 this year, all money that goes directly back into wild sheep in BC

Weatherby Fan
03-14-2011, 10:47 PM
ok so where do we buy the tickets ? Government Agent ? or will they be available at sports shops :confused:

jml11
03-15-2011, 08:14 AM
ok so where do we buy the tickets ? Government Agent ? or will they be available at sports shops :confused:

They use to post a printable entry form online you could fax in but not sure if that will continue. The website mentions that government agents will have them by mid may. License vendors should have them soon as well.

budismyhorse
03-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Nice to see the tag getting some significant dollars again......

pretty typical response when you allow a year or two break for that band of sheep.....bidders are not stupid.

BCrams
03-15-2011, 09:54 AM
pretty typical response when you allow a year or two break for that band of sheep.....bidders are not stupid.

I heard the winning bid is chasing Stone's sheep this time.

budismyhorse
03-15-2011, 02:03 PM
until he strikes out...........and heads south in Nov.....

That is the smart move and if I had a tag, that is exactly what I'd do.

Figure you could have a chance at a 175+ stones after the reg season?

BCrams
03-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Figure you could have a chance at a 175+ stones after the reg season?

I don't know about 175" but definatly a legitimate chance at a 170+ ram in March wtihin a
few spots off the highway within the winter range.

willy442
03-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't know about 175" but definatly a legitimate chance at a 170+ ram in March wtihin a
few spots off the highway within the winter range.

My money is on a ram over 178 in November. The highway is too pounded for anyone wanting quality sheep to waste time on. Lots of other timbered areas in ewe and lamb country that harbor big rams every year.:)

GoatGuy
03-15-2011, 04:42 PM
went for 140,000 this year, all money that goes directly back into wild sheep in BC

FNAWS takes 15% for the auction and 75% is dedicated IIRC? ~94,000?

GoatGuy
03-15-2011, 04:43 PM
I heard the winning bid is chasing Stone's sheep this time.

That's good to hear.

BCrams
03-15-2011, 04:44 PM
My money is on a ram over 178 in November. The highway is too pounded for anyone wanting quality sheep to waste time on. Lots of other timbered areas in ewe and lamb country that harbor big rams every year.:)

No doubt November hunting would be hot for rutting rams and the snow making them quite visible as they start venturing out and about!

It will be interesting to see what kind of effort is put in to locate such a ram and what time of year it gets taken. Whether early such as in July, regular season, November / December or March on winter range before dispersal.

Rubicon500
03-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Any of you guys on the "in" no how many tickets are generally sold ? Im sure year to year they vary a bit, just trying to figure out my odds out if I drop 1000$ on tickets.

David Heitsman
03-15-2011, 06:28 PM
There has been less than a 1000 tickets sold and the numbers dropped off when the draw was moved away from the usual LEH deadline to placate the whiners who felt the auctioned tagholder had an advantage somehow over the raffled tag since the auction was held in Jan and Feb and the resident draw wasn't till June. Unfortunately that reduced the number of raffle tickets sold and it has never bounced back.

So, if the draw is 1000 to 1, buy 4 tags, hopefully it will be available online again so you can pay with your CC, and that brings it to 250 to 1 which is better than some of the other sheep draws in the province.

The beauty of this draw is that the funds are primarily designated for sheep whereas the regular LEH draws are not.

Yes, a BC resident is welcome to bid the auctioned tag, in fact last year
a BC resident finding out that the permit had been canceled ended up taking the Alberta special tag back from Reno with him instead.

And that is correct a Canadian has won the bid on the KIB ram a couple times as well. It's just too bad that the resident raffle tag had to be drawn through the LEH as this meant there was no conservation revenue
available to the local KIB area for sheep programs. If drawn separately it would also create additional chances for the residents to apply for sheep draws.

I see that the tickets for 2012 have to be in by October of 2011. That's too bad that they are off sync again from the LEH as this will likely reduce the number of applicants again. Should make for better odds.

kebes
03-15-2011, 07:31 PM
By service bc we're talking access centre type of deal????? And by mid march we're talking end of april??? :D

troutseeker
03-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I just checked and was told by a sporting goods store that they were available for purchase...:biggrin:

Island Redneck
03-17-2011, 11:29 AM
How much is each ticket selling for?