PDA

View Full Version : Down Jackets

Stone Sheep Steve
03-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Looking to add a down jacket to my backpack.

What do you guys have and what do you think of them??

Cheers

SSS

GoatGuy
03-14-2011, 12:50 PM
North Face has some good ones. Buddy packs his around everywhere he goes. Practically roll up and put in your pocket.

BlacktailStalker
03-14-2011, 12:56 PM
X2, I have a couple TNF down vests and a full down jacket that is very warm and packs up to nothing.

Timberjack
03-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Cheers

SSS

Must say I'm not a huge fan of down just becuase it is worthless once wet. The extra bulk/weight of a good quality synthetic jacket is well worth it (not that it really amounts to much extra weight or bulk) given it will keep you warm even through a downpour or if you've fallen in a river...

I have two synthetic (primaloft) jackets that are exceedingly warm for their weight and have worked well on many a backpack trip. The first (and best) is an MEC one - simple lightweight and warm, and I just bought a north face one that isn't quite as warm - a little thinner ad a little looser.

Lastly - make sure whatever you get (down or synthetic) is tight fitting cause the whole point is to eliminate cold air inside the jacket. For me this usually eliminates the possibility of a dual purpose town/hiking jacket cause a loose fitting town version might be comfy and fashionable, but wont cut the mustard for max warmth on a cold hunt...

Hope that helps..

TJ

Wild Images
03-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Browning 700 fill through Cabelas, was about $120. Will never sheep hunt without it
Also picked up a Browning 650 fill at WSS a couple weeks ago marked down to $119 from $169.
No need to spend a fortune these a more than warm enough ( had to pick up the second one cause I can't seem to get the other back from Ger )

kootenayelkslayer
03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I almost bought a Mountain Hardware light, packable down jacket at a ridiculously good sale price...but elected to hold out for, you guessed it, the KUIU Spindrift jacket.

Buck
03-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Marmot Zuess similar to a down sweater so can be worn under a soft-shell without being to puffy.Shell keeps the wet off it is really warm and can be worn on its own it is DWR.Plus stuffs into its own pocket to make a nice pillow.Payed $100.00 bucks half price now at Atmosphere.
That primaloft from Kuiu would also be great.

BCrams
03-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Cheers

SSS

cough cough ... I've been using a North Face Redpoint Optimus Jacket the last 5 years and I wear it all the time and take it on all sheep hunts. Havn't been disapointed with it. :mrgreen:

http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/the_north_face_redpoint_optimus_jacket_mens.html

Down would work great too and eventually will get one myself!

troutseeker
03-14-2011, 02:26 PM
I've got a Mountain Hardware down jacket that packs well and is nice and warm, but for August hunts I'll likely bring my Outdoor Research synthetic fill one. The OR jacket packs really small and is pretty warm too!

BCrams
03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
I almost bought a Mountain Hardware light, packable down jacket at a ridiculously good sale price...but elected to hold out for, you guessed it, the KUIU Spindrift jacket.

The NF jacket I have is filled with the same PrimaLoft® One (100g) insulation.

KUIU did not incorporating a hood for the jacket and is 80gr. Thats my opinion and I deem a hood as very important to have!

Same price, 20g more insulation and a hood with NF. Just not camo :)

Can't tell you how many times I've pulled the hood over for neck / head warmth from wind etc. Incorporate a hood style similar to North Face, the jacket would have my attention.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Practically roll up and put in your pocket.

... and packs up to nothing.

I need to save space in my pack and this is why I want to move to down.

Must say I'm not a huge fan of down just becuase it is worthless once wet. The extra bulk/weight of a good quality synthetic jacket is well worth it (not that it really amounts to much extra weight or bulk) given it will keep you warm even through a downpour or if you've fallen in a river...

I have two synthetic (primaloft) jackets that are exceedingly warm for their weight and have worked well on many a backpack trip. The first (and best) is an MEC one - simple lightweight and warm, and I just bought a north face one that isn't quite as warm - a little thinner ad a little looser.

Lastly - make sure whatever you get (down or synthetic) is tight fitting cause the whole point is to eliminate cold air inside the jacket. For me this usually eliminates the possibility of a dual purpose town/hiking jacket cause a loose fitting town version might be comfy and fashionable, but wont cut the mustard for max warmth on a cold hunt...

Hope that helps..

TJ

I know about down not being a good insulator when wet...but as long as you're careful you can avoid getting wet. I currently have a synthetic insulating jacket that has never been wet....I believe it is Primaloft but am not sure as the tag is missing...and can't find any info online.

How small does that jacket pack down??

The NF jacket I have is filled with the same PrimaLoft® One (100g) insulation.

KUIU blew it by not incorporating a hood for the jacket and is 80gr.

Can't tell you how many times I've pulled the hood over for neck / head warmth from wind etc. Incorporate a hood style similar to North Face, the jacket would have my attention.

I've got a nice insulated hood on my outer jacket so this isn't an issue for me.:wink:

SSS

Craddosk
03-14-2011, 02:58 PM
I've been rocking this from MEC this past winter:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 7215&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699049

It's been super warm, comfortable, and has some waterproofing built into the jacket. The only complaints I have about it is its a little short for my torso (sits at the top of my hips) and the zipper gets stuck if your opening it quickly. Other than that, I think its a fantastic jacket, and its on sale right now too.

BCrams
03-14-2011, 03:00 PM
I

I've got a nice insulated hood on my outer jacket so this isn't an issue for me.:wink:

SSS

Nothing wrong with that outer jacket and hood!! Throwing the down jacket under and you'll be laughing!!

MountainHigh
03-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Mont-Bel U.L down jacket. The lightest and will pack the smallest. Outer fabric is not meant for climbing through the bush. It is meant as a layer or worn on top above the trees. I chose this because it is insanely light yet super warm...

fowlweather
03-14-2011, 05:09 PM
i would definitely get one they pack up to nothing i have a mountain hardware one, they also make spectacular pillows

Bighorn hunter
03-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Mont-Bel U.L down jacket. The lightest and will pack the smallest. Outer fabric is not meant for climbing through the bush. It is meant as a layer or worn on top above the trees. I chose this because it is insanely light yet super warm...

Just checked these out, gotta go weigh my browning down jacket just to compare but I think I see one of these in the near future:-D. Bought one of montbels down bags last year and have to say it is the most comfy bag I have ever used.If the jacket is half as nice it would be perfect.

swampthing
03-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Mont Bell makes a beauty for about $200. It is the smallest one I have seen. Atmosphere is blowing out northface down at $150 for a light model right now. As someone stated, they make great pillows. I use a browning model now. It is a bit big for packing though. My wife offered to buy me the northface one and I said no!!!! Dummy.

BEARSLAYER
03-14-2011, 07:10 PM
tiaga,simple,the best ,lots of expeditions,made in vancouver so you know they are good,i have 3 of the jackets for the family and have never been disappointed.

BCbillies
03-14-2011, 07:16 PM

I'm ready to pull the trigger of the UL Tec shortly. Was on for $140 at Prolite Gear just before Christmas and I missed it by a day. I like the weight and the reinforcements where it counts. Other than the colours I don't see any negatives!

pescado
03-14-2011, 07:17 PM
x2 on Tiaga. Maybe Mountain Equipment Co-op. I use a down vest and find it nice to have when glassing and around camp in the a.m - p.m. Tiaga's gear is well priced.

Ride Red
03-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Quote "I know about down not being a good insulator when wet...but as long as you're careful you can avoid getting wet. I currently have a synthetic insulating jacket that has never been wet....I believe it is Primaloft but am not sure as the tag is missing...and can't find any info online."

You can be as careful as can be, but accidents still happen. When you hike in you have to be prepared for the worst of situations. I've used down and will never go back. My personal opinion and experience.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Quote "I know about down not being a good insulator when wet...but as long as you're careful you can avoid getting wet. I currently have a synthetic insulating jacket that has never been wet....I believe it is Primaloft but am not sure as the tag is missing...and can't find any info online."

You can be as careful as can be, but accidents still happen. When you hike in you have to be prepared for the worst of situations. I've used down and will never go back. My personal opinion and experience.

Hehehe....I came close to losing my sleeping bag in a river last yr.....my fault.........yes, accidents can and do happen:???:.
I know some of the new down jackets come with a waterproof coating.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
03-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Just checked these out, gotta go weigh my browning down jacket just to compare but I think I see one of these in the near future:-D.

Browning 700 fill jackets run about 20 oz....while the Montbells run ~ 7.3 oz ...but that's only for a medium.

The Kuiu Spindrift runs ~ 13.5 oz....not bad for a synthetic.

SSS

A killer
03-14-2011, 07:53 PM
TAiga are awesome as well. Made in Vancouver. Bought a -30 sleeping bag from them. It is wicked!!! Built well and priced fair.

A killer
03-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Taiga down jackets on sale now $125 c/w hood!!!!

wiggy
03-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Taiga and Mountain Hardware; also use the Taiga down pants hunting bighorns in October; wouldnt leave home without them

Timberjack
03-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Hehehe....I came close to losing my sleeping bag in a river last yr.....my fault.........yes, accidents can and do happen:???:.

SSS

And don't forget that sweat will (over the the course of a hunt) make the down wet to a certain degree. If you don't have really nice sunny and/or windy weather to fully dry out a down garment (or sleeping bag) at some point through the trip you will be losing insulative quality. Don't necessarily take an accident with a river...

My choice is synthetic any day given the quality out there and the number of good choices as evidenced in previous posts. That is unless you are either hunting in -30 degree weather or colder, or extremely dry places...

Just my own opinion..

Cheers,
TJ

Timberjack
03-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Taiga and Mountain Hardware; also use the Taiga down pants hunting bighorns in October; wouldnt leave home without them

x2 for the taiga stuff - it really is top notch. Same can be said for lots of other mainstream brands these days - Mtn hardware, OR, Marmot, Mammut, etc, etc.

TJ

mod7rem
03-14-2011, 10:23 PM
I have the monte-bell U.L. vest and the U.L. jacket. Unbelievable warmth for weight. They are great as an underlayer, and I use mine for backpack hunts and day hunts.

BCrams
03-15-2011, 01:16 AM

SSS

Holy I almost forgot! That was one big fast flowing piece of water.

I'm sure one of us could have ditched packs and made a run / swim after it.

troutseeker
03-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Hey, what's up with down?

Brambles
03-15-2011, 07:45 AM
I just bought the Outdoor Research virtuoso down jacket with hood, can't beat the warrenty that OR offers. awesome jacket, best purchase I've made in a while.

ThinAir
03-15-2011, 07:52 AM
I don't think I'll ever do a high country hunt without my down jacket.
I've never had an issue with it getting wet....be careful and layer properly.

You can't "beat the heat" of down.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey, what's up with down?

Down is now up.......in popularity.....just like the old days.:wink:

SSS

skibum
03-15-2011, 09:53 AM
I have a (cough cough) MEC down vest in with the heaviest down filling available. I love it. Really warm, and the arms are free

calvin L
03-15-2011, 11:00 AM
SSS saving space ? I thought that new barry pack was to big to start .

Goliath
03-15-2011, 11:22 AM
I have a (cough cough) MEC down vest in with the heaviest down filling available. I love it. Really warm, and the arms are free

X2. I prefer my older MEC down vest. Warm as hell, and arms are free. Fit and finish is awesome.

Someday when it packs it in, I'll replace it with a Marmot Zeus.

IMO never had the need for a waterproof version...storm shell goes overtop to protect from wind & rain.

Down is king.

hellojello74
03-18-2011, 02:31 PM
The eddie bauer ones are pretty good too, and reasonably priced... food for thought, also my try looking on http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/8-Tech-Talk
lots of info there too

ytlogger
03-18-2011, 03:11 PM
What about down with a gore-tex shell?

muledeercrazy
03-18-2011, 03:12 PM
i just got a great deal on a 750 fill lightweigh cabelas down jacket.. it was on sale for 49.99 and was about 75-80 dollars canadian to the door, regular 140 us. I think they still have a sale on. It fits under my shell nicely, and really compresses well.

muledeercrazy
03-18-2011, 03:15 PM
What about down with a gore-tex shell?

the sitka incinerator jacket is nice, but expensive. Not that great for backpacking, because its all or nothing and would be too hot while climbing or trekking in all but the coldest weather

ytlogger
03-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah I've got an old Cabela's too. One of those deals where you would call to order something and they had a special. It is getting a little thrashed so I was looking at Taiga. I find down jackets good for glassing in cool weather and so on but I like to be a little cool while travelling and pull on out when I stop for a bit.

Tarp Man
03-18-2011, 09:35 PM
I have a MEC Primaloft jacket that I picked up used. It has held up really well snowshoeing and for daily use this winter. I tested its warmth when wet after snowshoeing hard and it getting pretty damp from sweaty condensation in -10 weather then sitting in snow. After that trip, I am sold on Primaloft. Down would have been useless after that. The Primaloft dried off on its own under a goretex shell once I got moving again.

muledeercrazy
03-19-2011, 01:29 AM
so you tried waterproof down stuff in a gortex shell and didnt like it. What did you use, maybe you could sell it to me at a discount?

Devilbear
03-20-2011, 09:32 AM
I have had several highend down jackets over the years and only have one now, my old Richard Egge, "double duvet" from Switzerland. This is a serious mountain expedition parka, doubled and filled with some of the finest white goosedown I have seen. I have worn it in comfort at -40 and keep it for really cold weather and winter camping in such conditions.

I have three Integral Designs Primaloft jackets and love them, plus, I have an ultralight Montbell synthetic jacket and this is my summer BPing insulator for those cool nights you sometimes get at higher elevations.

For hunting, I no longer use any down in garments or sleeping bags, Primaloft is FAR superior in the wet, dirty and accident-prone conditions of backpack hunting. Primaloft is almost as compactable as down, lofts well after compression and resists moisture, while down attracts it.

For those, who want a hood on their hunting jacket, the one I really like, but, cannot afford at present, is the "Himalayan Hoody" light Primaloft insulated model in "cinder" colour, made here in VanCity by Westcomb. A gorgeous piece of kit that should last most hunters many years and very light for sheepists, but, very costly....well, ya gets what ya pays fer!

luckynuts
03-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Cheers

SSS

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet. But I tried on the Mountain Hardware nitrous jacket yesterday and man is that nice. hugs the body super light and compresses down to pretty much nothing. On sale 50% off too at Valhala Pure. And it comes in Black! Would have purchased it but bought the MH skyledge 3 tent and a exped downmat7:lol:

W.

seatoskymiles
03-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet. But I tried on the Mountain Hardware nitrous jacket yesterday and man is that nice. hugs the body super light and compresses down to pretty much nothing. On sale 50% off too at Valhala Pure. And it comes in Black! Would have purchased it but bought the MH skyledge 3 tent and a exped downmat7:lol:

W.

just bought one of thoughs, love it

spear
03-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this jacket but I was very impressed with the ArcTeryx Atom SV, or LT Hoody, full zip.
Coeloft 180-250 dollars

snareman1234
03-22-2011, 07:19 AM
This one's on sale at backcountry, comes in grey

http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-down-sweater-jacket-mens

BCrams
03-22-2011, 08:35 AM
This one's on sale at backcountry, comes in grey

http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-down-sweater-jacket-mens

Looks nice! Lifetime warranty.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/PAT/PAT1585/NARGRE.jpg

bighornbob
03-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Looks nice! Lifetime warranty.

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/PAT/PAT1585/NARGRE.jpg

Doesn't matter what you wear, it still wont let you age sheep better:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Maybe next year.

BHB

snareman1234
03-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Lol atleast you didn't see our score first time around :) May have combined two methods at once lol :p

willy442
03-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Doesn't matter what you wear, it still wont let you age sheep better:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Maybe next year.

BHB

Are you implying that BC Rams has been taught to age sheep like our compulsary inspectors, who are lucky to be within a 3 year window.:-D Might be better off working as a duck guide.

bighornbob
03-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Lol atleast you didn't see our score first time around :) May have combined two methods at once lol :p

Actually I was there and the look on your face when you saw your score was priceless:mrgreen: Hear you guys sorted it out by the end of the night.

BHB

BCrams
03-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Are you implying that BC Rams has been taught to age sheep like our compulsary inspectors, who are lucky to be within a 3 year window.:-D Might be better off working as a duck guide.

Actually - I had to correct some of "their" own ages at the end of it :wink:

We got snareman and his partner up to speed on the aging thing the next day with all the horn mounts.

bighornbob
03-22-2011, 09:55 AM

No, I was talking about the Horn Aging contest at the Wild Sheep Society banquet this past weekend. There was a ram that BCrams thought was older/younger (cant remember which) then what was reported and he was asking a few of us pros for our opinions. Well being the good friends we are and under the influence of a few drinks:mrgreen: we all went with the posted age (against what Rams thought was the correct age,) (he was right if my memory serves me right). That is another you should have seen his face moment:-D

Now back to the regular programming of down jackets.

BHB

wildcatter
03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Here is a good one from MEC, called Uplink Pullover, comes with a hood,
weighs only 293 gr, filled with Primaloft and cost $125.
It's slim fit, but one of the reviews says fits fine for average built.
Sounds like a good one, I will certainly check it out.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2699079&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442633275

huntcoop
03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
For are you mountain/sheep hunter experts, which I am not, what are your thoughts on this....

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/clothing/detail.asp?value=A003&cat_id=304&type_id=753&content=down-jacket-outdoor-hunting-and-shooting-clothing

I'm asking because I have the Browning XPO jacket and this will zip right into.......would down be warmer and better than this fleece option.......

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/clothing/detail.asp?value=029A&cat_id=304&type_id=790&content=4x-microfleece-jacket-outdoor-hunting-and-shooting-clothing

Love to hear your thoughts.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
May have combined two methods at once lol :p

Geez....where else have we seen that before??:wink:

SSS

snareman1234
03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Geez....where else have we seen that before??:wink:

SSS

Lol, we're trying to iron out the wrinkles before tho :p

Any conclusions in your jacket search?

MB_Boy
03-29-2011, 09:53 AM
SSS et al.......if any of you are looking for a jacket similar to the images have been posted of down with a hood (like the North Face that Rams posted...or like the Patagonia); go have a look at the store "Atmosphere" if you have one in your area. (It used to be Coast Mountain Sports)

They had some nice looking SUPER LIGHT down ones for sale for about $100.00. They looked like they would pack down very, very compact; better than my North Face ones...as for warmth I am not sure but I would bet they'd be pretty good. I am pretty sure they were Mountain Hardwear....looked to be pretty good for the price.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Lol, we're trying to iron out the wrinkles before tho :p

Any conclusions in your jacket search?

Now there are just too many good options....but I should probably act fast as most retailers are probably trying to move left-over winter stock instead of storing it.

SSS

BCrams
03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Now there are just too many good options....but I should probably act fast as most retailers are probably trying to move left-over winter stock instead of storing it.

SSS

Not only that. Slightly less than 4 months to go!!

snareman1234
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
I went for the Kuiu Spindrift. Wanted down, but after talking to Bill he told me "Plan on being warm when wet, not warm when dry" so I went for the Primaloft 1

Stone Sheep Steve
03-29-2011, 03:12 PM
I went for the Kuiu Spindrift. Wanted down, but after talking to Bill he told me "Plan on being warm when wet, not warm when dry" so I went for the Primaloft 1

Let me know when you get it so I can swing-by and see how nicely it compacts down.

Since I'm stuck doing early sheep hunts, I only use my insulating layer around camp or glassing. Never hike in it.....never get it wet. I have a synthetic insulating jacket that works fine but it's a little too bulkey.
If I buy something this yr it will be down.
Just need to buy a new pack first:-?.

SSS

BCrams
03-29-2011, 07:45 PM

Thats correct. Mine is dry most times but there was a hunt or two where it got damp. The jacket I have is also with Primaloft 1 and more of it plus a hood but the hood / no hood is personal preference and mine is to have a hood.

snareman1234
03-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Thats correct. Mine is dry most times but there was a hunt or two where it got damp. The jacket I have is also with Primaloft 1 and more of it plus a hood but the hood / no hood is personal preference and mine is to have a hood.

Yea yours has 100g? Would that extra 20g of insulation it has not just be the extra they had to add to the hood?

wiggy
03-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Some new ones coming out this year made with EVENT fabric and 800 down. Suppose to be the new best thing in the mountains. Waterproof; breathable; light; packable and incredibly warm; id wait or buy one of the cheaper ones on ebay and then try to score one of these when the prices drop; also heard their testing the fabric with down in sleeping bags. I bought my current Mountain Hardware for 70 bucks

huntcoop
03-29-2011, 08:54 PM
For are you mountain/sheep hunter experts, which I am not, what are your thoughts on this....

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/clothing/detail.asp?value=A003&cat_id=304&type_id=753&content=down-jacket-outdoor-hunting-and-shooting-clothing

I'm asking because I have the Browning XPO jacket and this will zip right into.......would down be warmer and better than this fleece option.......

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/clothing/detail.asp?value=029A&cat_id=304&type_id=790&content=4x-microfleece-jacket-outdoor-hunting-and-shooting-clothing

What are your thoughts on these..........crap? OK?

BCrams
03-29-2011, 09:36 PM
Yea yours has 100g? Would that extra 20g of insulation it has not just be the extra they had to add to the hood?

Most likely taken up in the hood which also makes up the extra 8 oz along with zippered pockets.

spear
03-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I ended up getting the Arcteryx Atom LT Hoody from my lovely wife for my birthday. Very Good warmth to weight ratio, fits well under a jacket or on its own. It gets my vote, it is coreloft though, not down.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Found this WM down jacket with hood and it comes in at a mere 9 oz.
Not cheap @ $259.95 but it also comes with a lifetime warrentee.

http://www.backcountry.com/western-mountaineering-flash-down-jacket-mens?rr=t&cmp_id=&rrType=PurchaseEV&rrProd=WES0048

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/detail_large/WES/WES0048/BK_D1.jpg

If this jacket is anything like their sleeping bags, it should be very high quality.

SSS

BCbillies
04-01-2011, 04:54 PM

http://www.backcountry.com/western-mountaineering-flash-down-jacket-mens?rr=t&cmp_id=&rrType=PurchaseEV&rrProd=WES0048
If this jacket is anything like their sleeping bags, it should be very high quality.

SSS

Lifetime warranty! Hmmm . . . I like what I read and see. You going black or silver?

snareman1234
04-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Very nice! I looked at that one too, sucks being tall though, figr'd my belly button might show with that one

BCrams
04-01-2011, 07:04 PM

http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/detail_large/WES/WES0048/BK_D1.jpg

SSS

Awsome looking jacket with lifetime warranty!! Small price to pay. That hoodie will come darned handy on those super windy cold days glassing or sitting huddled by the tent!! Keep the neck nice and cozy and would do in a pinch for those later season hunts down the road.

Like mine - its black but I usually have the neutral colour rain jacket over top anyways.

Maxx
04-01-2011, 08:05 PM
All WM products that I have tried are great, I am sure that would work well. I went with

http://www.montbell.us/products/prod_img/detail/c_2301133_lk-bk.jpg (http://www.montbell.us/products/prod_img/large/k_2301133_lk-bk.jpg)

Montelbell UL down inner parka, I am happy so far.

Ciskman
04-01-2011, 08:11 PM
I was issued a Mammut Ambler. Ive worn it from the northern tip of Ellesmere Island to the high Rockies to the peaks of the New Hampshire White Mountains and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It might be bit pricy but i my opinion well worth the cost. i love this jacket and will always have it by my side

Stone Sheep Steve
04-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Very nice! I looked at that one too, sucks being tall though, figr'd my belly button might show with that one

What's the matter?? Scared your shiny belly-button ring might signal those ridge-top rams???:mrgreen:

SSS

hellojello74
04-04-2011, 02:14 PM

Just a thought, I know its not quite the same but the First Ascent stuff from Eddie Bauer does come in tall sizes, fyi

BCbillies
04-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I just purchased my first and hopefully my last down jacket. Went with the WM Flash XR . . . won't win a modelling contest with this one but it reeks versitility and quality. :smile: Sheep season is quickly approaching and decisions must be made and $$$ spent!

huntcoop
04-19-2011, 12:41 PM
You guys have any thoughts on these..........

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...oting-clothing (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/clothing/detail.asp?value=A003&cat_id=304&type_id=753&content=down-jacket-outdoor-hunting-and-shooting-clothing)

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...oting-clothing (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/clothing/detail.asp?value=029A&cat_id=304&type_id=790&content=4x-microfleece-jacket-outdoor-hunting-and-shooting-clothing)

troutseeker
04-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Huntcoop, I have the XPO jacket (and pants) as well, and prefer to wear some other insulated jacket underneath. That 650 fill down will be pretty bulky and the other material are pretty heavy as well. For a quading or day hikes not far from home/base camp it would be good, but for mountain hiking where ounces matter it is likely a bit heavy and will take too much room in the pack...

BCrams
04-19-2011, 03:50 PM
I just purchased my first and hopefully my last down jacket. Went with the WM Flash XR . . . won't win a modelling contest with this one but it reeks versitility and quality. :smile: Sheep season is quickly approaching and decisions must be made and $$$ spent!

Love the looks of that down jacket with hood!

Will have to wear out the current jacket before purchasing a new one! Sheep season is fast approaching alright!!

huntcoop
04-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Huntcoop, I have the XPO jacket (and pants) as well, and prefer to wear some other insulated jacket underneath. That 650 fill down will be pretty bulky and the other material are pretty heavy as well. For a quading or day hikes not far from home/base camp it would be good, but for mountain hiking where ounces matter it is likely a bit heavy and will take too much room in the pack...

That is the plan, for day hikes etc...from camp. Was up in FSJ last year and it was -37 some days and I was thinking that the down or fleece may be a nice option.

Just was wonder which would be warmer.....etc...

BCbillies
04-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Love the looks of that down jacket with hood!

Will have to wear out the current jacket before purchasing a new one! Sheep season is fast approaching alright!!

The regular flash is a more fitted jacket and appears more sexy than the XR .. . . but it is not quite as durable and water resistant and lacks a couple of the finer details (adjustable hood, zipped pockets, etc) . The flash is meant more for wearing under a shell while the XR can go both ways. On this one I based my decision strictly on utility and wasn't concerned about the extra 2 oz! If I spend the night hunkered on the mountain with no shelter this jacket should help. Would like to purchase a siltarp but that may have to wait till next year!

Bring your jacket out on a goat hunt and we'll see what can be done! :wink:

BCrams
04-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Would like to purchase a siltarp but that may have to wait till next year!

Bring your jacket out on a goat hunt and we'll see what can be done! :wink:

If that coastal weather wasn't so bad the last week of the season this year, I'd have made it out for a few days!

Now the siltarp - I'd suggest you get it this year ... totally worth it. You can save the cost of it somewhere pretty easy!

Devilbear
04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Pre-owned Siltarps are easy to find at good prices on various backpacking forums and they are among the most useful items one can have on a bush trip, hunting or whatever.

If, I were to buy another light down jacket for hunting, that WM Flash XR would be my first choice and I am fairly certain that WM has these made here in the same facility that Kuiu is making their new gear in and Westcomb as well.....can't get no better, IMHO.

pickaspot
04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Anyone say Patagonia Nano-Puff yet? Love this little quarter zip... packs into its breast pocket, down to the size of a sandwich. Synthetic fill so it keeps you warm even when soaked. Though not as warm as full on NF down jacket... waaay smaller/lighter, and used as part of a layering system, its all you need in late summer/early fall.

Buck
04-20-2011, 05:04 AM
Pre-owned Siltarps are easy to find at good prices on various backpacking forums and they are among the most useful items one can have on a bush trip, hunting or whatever.

If, I were to buy another light down jacket for hunting, that WM Flash XR would be my first choice and I am fairly certain that WM has these made here in the same facility that Kuiu is making their new gear in and Westcomb as well.....can't get no better, IMHO.

Just received my Kuiu Guide jacket and the quality is excellant.If the gear is made in the Richmond plant it will be very well made.

bigwhiteys
04-20-2011, 01:40 PM
I've been following this thread for a while as I too am interested in picking up a down jacket for later season hunting. I contacted one of my site sponsors and they are sending me out 3 of their down jackets in different styles to try out. The Nitrous (12oz), Nitrous w/Hood (14oz) and a Phantom (15oz). They are all 800 fill down. The hood feature looks cool, but with a hood already on my outershell, I prefer a toque or balaclava for really cold weather, my eVent hood pulls over that. Keeps my head protected from the outside elements and breathes away any internal moisture from hiking like nothing. I don't think a down hood would work the same way but I'll find out.

I am still not sold on down for an insulating layer for my clothing just yet. I think in cold/dry conditions it would be awesome, but in the wet/cold conditions we run into most the time it could be more trouble than it's worth, slip and fall in a creek for example (I've done this and was completely soaked) If I had a down insulating layer it wouldn't have been any good until I had a fire to dry it out (it was pouring rain too). I really like merino wool but there are only a few manufacturers of the good heavyweight stuff truly suitable for cold weather.

Carl

snareman1234
04-20-2011, 10:20 PM
I've been following this thread for a while as I too am interested in picking up a down jacket for later season hunting. I contacted one of my site sponsors and they are sending me out 3 of their down jackets in different styles to try out. The Nitrous (12oz), Nitrous w/Hood (14oz) and a Phantom (15oz). They are all 800 fill down. The hood feature looks cool, but with a hood already on my outershell, I prefer a toque or balaclava for really cold weather, my eVent hood pulls over that. Keeps my head protected from the outside elements and breathes away any internal moisture from hiking like nothing. I don't think a down hood would work the same way but I'll find out.

I am still not sold on down for an insulating layer for my clothing just yet. I think in cold/dry conditions it would be awesome, but in the wet/cold conditions we run into most the time it could be more trouble than it's worth, slip and fall in a creek for example (I've done this and was completely soaked) If I had a down insulating layer it wouldn't have been any good until I had a fire to dry it out (it was pouring rain too). I really like merino wool but there are only a few manufacturers of the good heavyweight stuff truly suitable for cold weather.

Carl

Thats the same conclusion I came to to on the cold/wet part...and on the hood part. So I ordered the Kuiu Spindrift

BCbillies
04-21-2011, 11:53 PM
Now the siltarp - I'd suggest you get it this year ... totally worth it. You can save the cost of it somewhere pretty easy!

Maybe I'll get one of my partners to buy some gear. :wink:

Good comments on down versus synthetics. I've had a low cost MEC down vest for a few years and I bring it on all trips and it's paid for itself many times over (in addition to wearing it throughout the year around town here on the wet coast). I don't intend to wear the down jacket when hiking (both with or without a pack) as I overheat easily and wear very few layers when hiking. With all the hurry-up to get to a prime vantage to then sit and glass for hours and hours each day the down jacket should be welcome . . . plus for around camp and any unplanned overnight stay without the tent. I've opted to lighten the pack and replace a relatively bulky insulated hunting jacket that soaks up water like a sponge and the down vest for a quality hard shell and the down jacket. By the end of this season I will evaluate whether this was money well spent or not! :)

TSW
04-22-2011, 12:28 AM

Carl

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...there is a lot of people who are fearful of down because when it gets wet it is next to useless, but it's surprising how seldom that comes into play...at least in my experience. I live in Terrace, which as most know, is a wet place, and I bring my down vest on EVERY hunt and have never had a problem with it getting wet. Not that it couldn't happen to be sure!
The packability of down is an asset and the heat it provides over synthetic (in my opinion and experience) makes it a no-brainer. As has been stated, when used with a shell, it's a combo that's tough to beat.

Devilbear
04-22-2011, 04:33 AM
I have found my Primaloft jackets from ID to be about as packable as any of the several down jackets I have had, so, I do not worry about that. I have had down articles get wet by accident and it is a real pita to deal with that in the bush without a good method of drying them.

As with most things in life, there are "pros and cons" to each and an individual has to make a decision based on the circumstances concerned and what one feels most comfortable using.

pitbell
04-22-2011, 08:33 AM
I apologize if this was brought up already but imo the #1 downside to any synthetic jacket/sleeping bag is how fast the material wears out. A Primaloft jacket thats being compressed and stuffed into a pack day after day will start to breakdown after a few seasons (if your lucky) and will loose it's warmth. Down is more durable and will keep it's warmth to weight ratio much longer. However synthetic gear is priced less than down so you can afford to replace it after a few seasons. Anyone who has managed to get their synthetic jkt wet will tell you that it is still a giant pain in the ass to dry. The difference is that if it's a bit damp it is still some what warm where down becomes useless. But like TSW said, that hardly ever happens. Thats what waterproof stuff sacks are for.

Devilbear
04-22-2011, 09:05 AM
I have seen down garments and sleeping bags loose loft and become useless in only a couple of winter's use, some synthetics, such as Polarguard in the early formulations do the same in one summer of bush work and this is relative to quality of down and the care given to it.

I bought my Richard Egge double duvet of superb white Polish goose down in autumn, 1974 and have used it a lot on multiday winter camps and as a daily wear coat during Dec., January and February when living in the Kootenays and walking to work and home every day. I always handwash this and look after it and it is still in excellent condition, so, yes, good down lasts longer, but, Primaloft Sport lasts far longer than many realize if you treat it just as one should top quality down.

In average use, I expect ten seasons from my ID and Montbell Pl. jackets and have no complaints about stuffing, moisture resistance or drying time.

TSW
04-22-2011, 01:25 PM
All I can say is that I have owned both synthetic and down, I hunt in a consistently wet climate and I have never even for a second considered going back to synthetic material. Each of my hunting partners here is of the same mindset...we all have down, and not one of us uses synthetic...in a place where some would think synthetic should win out, it clearly doesn't. If I was living in the interior, it would give me all the more reason to own down. I'm sure synthetic has it's place, just not in my pack. Each to his own. Getting back to the actual thread, I'm stoked to check out BCBillies' new down jacket. Looks like a sheep hunter's dream!!

Devilbear
04-22-2011, 01:43 PM
The last time I hunted around Terrace, was Sept. 2009 and it just POURED rain and soaked everything to the bone, however, it is noticeably warmer than in the West Kootenays at that time of year. I was wearing thin layers of merino wool, was totally soaked and still warm. Later, I changed to some dry merino and put on my Integral Designs Pullover in eVent and I remained warm and dry while hiking in that deluge, as I have with both my eVent parkas which are FAR superior to the several GT ones I have had and my wife has stolen as she likes the colour....who am I to argue?????

I have found that a layer system of high quality thin merino, light Primaloft vest and jacket and an eVent shell of ID or Wildthings quality, will work better for me down to 0*F than anything else I have tried and the only "downside" to this is the rather high cost. I would agree that GOOD down, will keep you warmer oz for oz, than ANY synthetic and it has that certain "cloudlike" drape of total comfort that no synthetic can quite match, although ID Rundle jackets are close. A guy who is careful with a good down parka, my picks right now would be Valandre, Westcomb and Western Mountaineering, and takes care of it will probably wear it for his entire life and so, the value is certainly there.

troutseeker
04-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Anyone knows if the Browning Prevent is their version of Event?

bigwhiteys
04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Anyone knows if the Browning Prevent is their version of Event?

No, it's not. eVent is eVent period.. It's owned by BHA technologies which is owned by General Electric. They have a complete list of manufacturers using their eVent membrane on their website.

Carl

2x4x16
05-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I have received my Kuiu order and have tried out my spindrift jacket - I must say that I' m very impressed with the quality of gear that I have purchased. The spindrift is extremely light and the packing is amazing, this is my first down jacket and am very happy.

snareman1234
05-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I have received my Kuiu order and have tried out my spindrift jacket - I must say that I' m very impressed with the quality of gear that I have purchased. The spindrift is extremely light and the packing is amazing, this is my first down jacket and am very happy.

I'm sure you know, but this jacket is not down, it is primaloft 1. A synthetic material.

2x4x16
05-15-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm sure you know, but this jacket is not down, it is primaloft 1. A synthetic material.

Yes, I'm aware - It fits into the comparison in which the thread was started down or synthetic.

Iron Sighted
05-15-2011, 06:55 PM
I've got a Montbell UL down jacket that I wear underneath my outer wear, it is great, provides good insulation considering how light and compact it is. Also nice to wear in the sleeping bag if the temps. get low overnight.

snareman1234
05-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Ya it fits here for sure, I was just commenting on this.

"this is my first down jacket and am very happy."