PDA

View Full Version : Anyone practice in their house?

Rob
03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Anyone practice shooting in their home? Any horror stories? lol.

bighornbob
03-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Anyone practice shooting in their home? Any horror stories? lol.

I used to shoot in my parents back yard, to get extra distance I shot one time through the carport. I did not like this as I could not see anyone walking by until it would be too late.

How long of a basement do you have to make it worth while??

BHB

porcupine
03-13-2011, 08:16 PM
I practice in my basement by DRY FIRING at pictures of the game I intend to hunt. Never had an accident.

KB90
03-13-2011, 08:19 PM
In our basement I can get 12 yards. Its fun when I'm bored. But the cement wall can be deadly on the arrows if my accuracy slips up!

Rob
03-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I practice in my basement by DRY FIRING at pictures of the game I intend to hunt. Never had an accident.

How are you dry firing a bow?

Kody94
03-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I practice in my basement all the time. I can get 18 yds. No horror stories, yet.

aj1493
03-13-2011, 09:13 PM
How are you dry firing a bow?
my same thought lol

i get 43y in my back yard

Rob
03-13-2011, 09:19 PM
my same thought lol

i get 43y in my back yard

I can get about the same in my backyard but havent tried it yet.(Been here 10 mos.) Ive got neighbors on both sides and the rear so id have to shoot towards the house or shed. Not too concerned about distance just technique for now so even 10 yds would be okay.

BlackwaterHunter
03-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Ive got about a 15 meter range if i use my garage, but i can go out to 150 if its summer

Jagermeister
03-13-2011, 09:35 PM
How are you dry firing a bow?I just knew this was coming. Some guys cannot read between the lines.

Anyhow, I used to shoot in my basement in one of my other homes. Just behind the target, was the electrical panel. The panel was set into the wall and over this was a ½" particle board box with a door of the same material. The target size is slightly larger than the electrical panel and is of the arrow catching type. Shot at a distance of about 40 feet at this targets a few hundred times and never missed the target once and never had a pass through. Then one day, I lost my focus mementarily and missed the target, arrow passed between the target and the frame which it was mounted on. Of course the arrow penetrated the particle board but missed the electrical panel. I could not pull the arrow out without opening the door, which was very hard to do.
You know how the wires come out of the sides of the electrical box? Miraculously, the arrow passed between 2 wires without even marking the outer covering of either wire. Had either wire been penetrated, I would have had the shock of my life. I ended up installing another ½" half sheet of plywood free hanging from another frame behind the targert and set off the wall by 3 feet. This was to ensure that the arrow inertia would be absorbed by the swing of the plywood should another pass-by occur.

aj1493
03-13-2011, 09:39 PM
I just knew this was coming. Some guys cannot read between the lines.

Anyhow, I used to shoot in my basement in one of my other homes. Just behind the target, was the electrical panel. The panel was set into the wall and over this was a ½" particle board box with a door of the same material. The target size is slightly larger than the electrical panel and is of the arrow catching type. Shot at a distance of about 40 feet at this targets a few hundred times and never missed the target once and never had a pass through. Then one day, I lost my focus mementarily and missed the target, arrow passed between the target and the frame which it was mounted on. Of course the arrow penetrated the particle board but missed the electrical panel. I could not pull the arrow out without opening the door, which was very hard to do.
You know how the wires come out of the sides of the electrical box? Miraculously, the arrow passed between 2 wires without even marking the outer covering of either wire. Had either wire been penetrated, I would have had the shock of my life. I ended up installing another ½" half sheet of plywood free hanging from another frame behind the targert and set off the wall by 3 feet. This was to ensure that the arrow inertia would be absorbed by the swing of the plywood should another pass-by occur.

sure so how do u dry fire your bow???

Rob
03-13-2011, 09:39 PM
I just knew this was coming. Some guys cannot read between the lines.

"Some guys cannot read between the lines"? I was supposed to know this reading your post? I get the part about dry firing though:tongue:. Sounds like your a good shot.

fowlweather
03-13-2011, 11:59 PM
he meant a rifle if you guys didnt catch on

Ruger4
03-14-2011, 06:53 AM
he meant a rifle if you guys didnt catch on

I think this is the target archery forum in case he didnt catch on :-?

Jonas111
03-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Still crazy to think someone is dry firing a rifle in there house. Maybe its just me but I wouldn't even consider that in my house.

And Ruger is right, this is for Target Archery.

I shoot my bow inside my house when its cold outside. I leave the door open to the garage and shoot from the mud room. I get 12 yards.

Ambush
03-14-2011, 08:27 AM
I shoot in my basement all winter. It's more about maintaining muscle and form so distance is not really important. I shoot into a 16"X16"X16" cardboard box stuffed with shrink wrap and I have a 24"X24"X3" dense foam backing behind it. I also have a small container of Spackle near by for the odd "..oops, I triggered that a little early" episode.

My kids are grown and gone and I place a barrier as a sign to my wife [her ironing board] in the entrance to my "range" to prevent blood stains on the carpet. My blood, that is, should I scare the $hit out of her.

KB90
03-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Still crazy to think someone is dry firing a rifle in there house. Maybe its just me but I wouldn't even consider that in my house.

And why not? what do you think is going to happen?

I can tell you shooting a bow in your house is a hell of a lot more dangerous than dry firing a rifle

BCsniper
03-14-2011, 08:34 AM
We shoot in the apartment from the Kitchen to the bathroom. 11 yards to work on form and keep the muscles active. No accidents yet touch wood. Both of us also pull back while we are aiming at the target incase of an accidental release.

:D Good times!

bearhunter338-06
03-14-2011, 08:43 AM
I can shoot 10 - 12 yards in my basement. If I relocate my furnace I can get 20 yards :-)

Stone Sheep Steve
03-14-2011, 09:33 AM
When I first picked up a bow I shot in my garage a bit....but I can go outside anytime of the yr if I choose.

SSS

tankster
03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
i made a dutch baffle box a few years ago its about 30"x30" it holds 22long rifle really well i have shot my 243 into it a bunch but its quite loud. i can get 31 yards in my basment

greybark
03-14-2011, 11:17 AM
:-D Great post Rob . While basement launching I shot a older bakealite telephone off the wall .
:-D Wondered about the round holes in the drywall of inside one of the bedroom closests , made a backstop .
Cheers

03-14-2011, 11:52 AM
When i was too young to know any better me and my cousin blew the crap out of the garage door with a small bow i had. I cant remember the distance though?

Ruger4
03-14-2011, 12:38 PM
When I first picked up a bow I shot in my garage a bit....but I can go outside anytime of the yr if I choose.

SSS

Like SSS, I too would rather shoot outside ,
like a little 15 target 3d course of Rineharts :wink:

Jonas111
03-14-2011, 08:00 PM
And why not? what do you think is going to happen?

I can tell you shooting a bow in your house is a hell of a lot more dangerous than dry firing a rifle

Like I said, JUST ME but I would never do that.

Plus this is an archery forum and not interested in getting into a debate with what you do or dont do in your own house with your guns. Thats your issue. I was just stating my opinion.

uraarchr
03-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Been doing it for years.Usually wife and kids are away or upstairs kind of above and behind where i'm at and I shoot to the other end of the house.Prob get 12 yds.A little more exciting than regular target shooting.Are there water lines in that wall?Or the main power line?

bearhunter338-06
03-14-2011, 10:24 PM
When I was young and stupid, my grandfather gave me a Crossman air rifle. I used it to play Kniky Kniky 9 doors ( I use to shoot the front doors from our basement window). If my dad ever found out I still wouldn't be able to sit on my rear end.......

seanfalloy
03-14-2011, 11:04 PM
I used to shoot an huge stuffed bull in my back yard and one day i decided to see what damage an old broad head would do to a tennis ball on its head. Sure enough the arrow clipped the side of the ball and bounce over the fence into the next door neighbors yard

Jagermeister
03-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Sorry for the confusion Rob.
My reference to not reading between the lines was for the post of Procupine's, "I practice in my basement by DRY FIRING at pictures of the game I intend to hunt. Never had an accident."
I just knew that the question of dry firing the bow was coming down the pike from someone, not necessarily anyone specific.
And to answer the question, "How do you dry fire a bow?" You don't!

snowtiger14
03-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Just on Rob. Was practicing in my basement, less than ten yrds, collapsed instead of following through. Needless to say, my mom was in the downstairs bathroom when the first six inches of my fatboy 500 punched through the drywall!!

millman911
04-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Better to haul the couch and t.v out side . Lighten your draw weight and you won`t shake so bad pulling your bow back, people will quit laughing. I owed you that and a couple more. lol

Kasomor
04-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Arrow through the steel garage door. :icon_frow

No more target shooting in the garage.

Bow Walker
04-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Got two dogs at home. One of which is only in its first year. I want to see it get older. So - no - I don't practice indoors.

Rusty Shackles
04-03-2011, 10:18 AM
coyotes out the window?

new hunter
06-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I shoot my primitve long bow {bout 50#} off my porch and across the yard . Got a homemade target made of a foam pool cover . Always keep my trajectory pointing down so if I miss I'll hit dirt. i did bounce one of my homemade cedar shafts off a rock . Searched for it and thought it was lost to the bushes . a week later I found it on my door step , figure I must have pissed someone off. Always make sure the neighbers aren't home when I shoot , just in case.

THE BEAST
06-09-2011, 06:00 PM
at are old house i shoot 10 yards all the time in the basement

Backcountry archer
07-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Years ago I had my wife doing some measuring while I was at full draw with an arrow on. My release touched off by accident sending the rubber blunt tipped arrow right through the laundry room wall, through the siding and bounced off my truck. It left a black smudge on the chrome grill on the truck. Couldn't believe the kinetic energy that arrow had. It only had six feet to go before coming into contact with the wall so no time to slow down.
That is how I learned to draw with my finger behind the release.

pappy
07-22-2011, 09:42 PM
You can dry fire a bow, draw back with no arrow and release. I seen a youtube video of a guy shooting his crossbow and he forgot to put a bolt in and fired it, it blew the limbs apart. I practice in the yard and in a field near by, in winter I don't practice.

DMA1983
07-22-2011, 10:16 PM
I shoot in my living room, not that shooting from five feet has any real practise value, but sometimes I really feel like letting some shots go in the evening, especially after I bought my new bow

Lillypuff
07-22-2011, 10:37 PM
let an arrow go through a window at a shop I use to work at. lucky it was a glass shop I worked at.