PDA

View Full Version : Tired of not getting a bison draw?

Gateholio
07-16-2006, 12:03 PM
These guys are advertising in the regs this year...

http://buffalohunts.ca/index.htm

I think these were the same guy sthat were at the Tradex show, as well. I thought even thier "meat" bull mounts they had on display were HUGE..:smile:

While not in the same class as hunting wild bison by Pink Mountain, it shoudl provide a fun and entertaining way of harvesting some excellent meat and providing a nice bison bedspread!:smile:

One more option for the dedicated men and women who mark off thier LEH cards every year for a bison hunt, knowing that it will most liekly be a donation, rather than an application!:wink:

PGKris
07-16-2006, 12:15 PM
My buddy Ryan in Lumby got a pink mountain draw this year :D

BCrams
07-16-2006, 12:21 PM
We've had a bit of luck. Our family has been drawn twice now for bison and both times successful.

greybark
07-16-2006, 12:27 PM
:mrgreen: Yep as they say you can stay at the Fantasyland Motel . This is not a hunting trip yet they refer to their hunting cabin and hunting area ... It is a go out and kill your own bison operation . Note the new Camo pattern in one of gallery photos (snowmobile yellow). For those who wish to participate in this , I have no problem with that just dont`t call it hunting .
Gatehouse I understand your fustration and the reason for your post (Been there time and time again ). Sorry if i sidestepped your post .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Walksalot
07-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Gatehouse, think of the money you saved by not having to go on the trip.:) I sure would not consider this hunting ranch. Hunting means more to me than simply shooting an animal and if I was to make my best guess, from reading many of your previous posts, I think it means alot more to you also. You might just as well approach a local rancher and purchase a decent meat animal, rest the rifle on the fence post and drop it. Just my opinion however wrong it might be.:smile:

bigwhiteys
07-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Rhyason Buffalo Ranch in Fort. St. John.

$500

You Shoot it...

They winch it on a truck and take it out of the field...

They pick it off the truck and hang it off a front end loader...

They Gut it for you...

They Skin it for you...

They Quarter it up for you...

They throw it in your pickup for you....

You drive away with pile of bison meat...

If you're after bison "meat" I don't think there is a more economical way to get it then this.

Getting drawn for Bison and going on an all-out adventure would be fun too... but I would be hunting for a big old bull and not meat.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Gateholio
07-16-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm not frustrated with not getign a bison tag at al...The odds are huge, the chances of me getting one low. I just noticed it it the regs and brougth it up. Frankly, I've got enough on my plate this hunting season anyway.:)

I have participated in a "canned" hutn once- In Ontario last year. We hutned wild boars in a fenced area, using crossbows and spears, and man it was alot of fun.

Was it hunting the high alpine in BC on a clear fall morning? No way...But it was fun, it was challenging, the meat was excellent- and the process of getting our meat was great.:smile:

FOr alot of guys, meat is thier #1 reason for going hunting, and this offers a fun way to get some meat, that is not too expensive, either.

There are a few guys here that have stopped at bison ranches n their way home form unsucessful moose hunts, this is probbaly just more fun than a straight carcass for cash deal.:wink:

FOr me, meat is one of the LAST reasons I hunt. I like the meat, don't get me wrong, but I spend very little to nothing on food in a year, due to my occupation. But I bet going and shooting one of those Tatonkas woudl be a blast, and not as easy as just walking up to him and blasting him behind the ear.:wink:

alremkin
07-16-2006, 03:05 PM
I agree with Bigwhitey's. For shooting a buffalo on a ranch, Rhyason's is a good deal. Of course this isn't hunting, but with the odds being what they are to be drawn, I'd have to wait 3 lifetimes to be drawn. Also I put in for a late season Limited Entry Elk tag there and got it. I was told if I buy a buffalo I'd be able to stay at the bunkhouse for two days and try for elk. Since the elk season starts in December and ends in February the use of the bunkhouse is a huge plus.

mainland hunter
07-16-2006, 03:40 PM
seems like not a bad deal for meat but its not a hunt, i would do it just to have some good meat

Shop Lord
07-16-2006, 04:35 PM
This may be a perfect "hunt" for you Gatehouse. With a little luck and some pre-season "scouting" even you could fill a tag.

Schmaus
07-16-2006, 05:15 PM
I have heard of hunts out of Fort St John that were cheaper, I don't remember the exact number but 6-800 dollars seems to ring a bell.

chevy
07-16-2006, 09:39 PM
i work with a guy who has gotten two for pink mountain in a row

cwocarsten
07-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Tell your buddy not to shoot the first one he sees. They all look huge. There are lots. I see 100-300 a day where I hunt in Pink Mountain.

Radar
07-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Another thing to remember is shot placemen when hunting buffalo. Their body can be deceptive and a lot of people shoot in the wrong place, either to high or to low, which I can't remember, may be someone here can help?
I've been to the place that started th thread, the three of us had a great time, the same as hunting here in BC no, but fun and stories Oh yes....we enjoyed it and found it more challenging than we first anticipated, although they were on a ranch (500acres) locating them and getting a good shot proved more tricky then we first thought...great fun and lots of meat....those buffalo sure are big!

Gilmore
07-17-2006, 05:41 PM
This may be a perfect "hunt" for you Gatehouse. With a little luck and some pre-season "scouting" even you could fill a tag.

Bada-bing........:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PGKris
07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Tell your buddy not to shoot the first one he sees. They all look huge. There are lots. I see 100-300 a day where I hunt in Pink Mountain.

Yeah we saw a herd of about 70-80 back there. They're all huge lol

000buck
07-17-2006, 06:29 PM
there is a place ive heard of that releases 100 head into 400 acres if you think you can find em have fun it's a hunt. Don't get lost in the idea that just because you didn't pull the egg out from the rabbits azz yourself it ain't an easter egg hunt, go give it a try it is reputed to be as real as any hunt.

boxhitch
07-19-2006, 07:34 AM
go give it a try it is reputed to be as real as any hunt.
Best post yet. Set up a treestand and grab a call. Can't deny that is hunting !?

youngfellla
07-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Another thing to remember is shot placement when hunting buffalo. Their body can be deceptive and a lot of people shoot in the wrong place, either to high or to low, which I can't remember, may be someone here can help?

Everyone I know who has shot one says that the vitals are very low in the chest cavity. Apparently lots shoot too high and end up just punching through some ribs without any major damage.

bigwhiteys
07-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Plug them in the head right behind the ear... They hit the mats right quick... big bull, little bull it doesn't matter I've seen a few shot in this way and there is NO messing around. Done like dinner.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Byson
07-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Plug them in the head right behind the ear... They hit the mats right quick... big bull, little bull it doesn't matter I've seen a few shot in this way and there is NO messing around. Done like dinner.

Happy Hunting!
CarlThats how i took my moose last years right through the ears