PDA

View Full Version : Fishing turkeys!

kms
03-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey all, Ive been doing alot of ice fishin/fishing this winter as I could not head south:-| So far I've hit up Edgewood/Arrow lakes, Kal lake, Echo Lake, Mabel and Snowshoe and havent been having much luck! Ive been using jigs with shrimp, maggots, dew worms and scented bait, as well as wedding rings and spoons. Anyone out there having any luck? and where??

Also, turkey hunting in April!! Does anyone know if Grand Forks is a reccommended area?

dave_fras
03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
i donno about grand forks.. but castlegar is good!

Dannybuoy
03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I dont know about turkeys , but if you were out on Arrow lake you should be using lures that resemble kokanee ... ie mac squids , lyman . or apex 's
echo lake : use a W whitefish lure with about 8"leader with a small hook baited with pink maggots (ice fishing)
Do you have to park at the gravel pit to get into snoeshoe? or do you have a sled ?

kms
03-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Wow, thanks for the info and I parked at pit and snowshoed in ;)

Chuck
03-18-2011, 10:03 AM
There was just a fishing derby recently in March, out of Scotties marina above Castlegar. The fish hauled in were good size, mostly in the high teens (rainbows & dollies) and I think he said hardly anyone was skunked.

Castlegar area is good for turkeys, just stay out of the brother's yard over there. He's very grouchy and protective of his flock. Lol.

meat eater
03-18-2011, 08:25 PM
we always use pink dyed shrimp over here in merritt or wood worms if u can find some work good also.

Buck TraX
03-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Sounds like your using the right baits ,wood worms work well and are free!!But mabey its just that your not in the right spots at the right times they can get finicky in the late season,try fishing in shallower on a shoal in the mornings and evenings and off points in deeper water mid day .I have had some of my biggest fish come from shallow water only 4-6 feet deep and if none of this works chum the whole with some extra bait!!!:biggrin: