PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Sheep Plans

Shade Tree
03-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I will talk everyday to anyone who will listen to my plan, and in turn I will listen to theirs.
I have a 'no name' lake picked out North of Tuya (Dease Lk), same kind of mountains as Tuya, for the middle of Sept. The lake is 4500 ft. so no timber which is fine, but it would be nice to have a fire when I return back to camp, but not this year. There are some rough areas according to my maps that look as if they might hold rams...but maybe only goats.
I love hunting caribou, hence the timing, so I am going to look over some bulls and maybe find a bruiser, that will work for me too. Probably a good idea to get a goat tag too...my partner killed a Booner last year while I had no tag. Good fun just the same.
It's exciting to look over a new basin that you just spent the last three hours climbing into and maybe make some soup and spend the afternoon. I will always try to camp in a good spot that offers a good panorama, so I'm still hunting, while I'm waiting for water to boil or my coffee to cool. They are usually crap places to sleep, but I can glass till dark and first thing in the morning.
I have a new partner this year...ya, ya, I know what you're thinking...but I have worked and hunted with him in the past and he pulls his weight; so I hope it works out, I would like to see him kill a caribou at least.
Anyone have 'the best laid plans' they wan to share?

one-shot-wonder
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Trip to region 6 just the same....... good country and better company. 4 of us are going to have a blast. Same time as you! Targetting the curled horn species, but wont over look to many caribou and goats.......maybe even throw in a couple predators too hopefully. Just look to have a good time in the mountains and capture some memories on footage!

Good luck to all the others!

troutseeker
03-11-2011, 09:03 PM
August Stone sheep hunt for me. So far by myself, as usual. It will be my first sheep hunt and I am pretty stoked!

Going to the Kamloops wild sheep banquet in a week and am looking forward to meeting all sorts of sheep hunters.

yukon john
03-11-2011, 09:09 PM

Fisher-Dude
03-11-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm just gonna drive around until a full curl ram runs across the road, then I'll plunk 'im. :smile:

kootenayelkslayer
03-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I'll be driving thru the Alaska highway on the my way home from the NWT in third week of September. If we can't find an old ram on the shoulder of the highway, I guess we'll get out of the truck and hike into a drainage or two ;) That's about as far as I've planned it out at this point.

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2011, 09:57 PM
No idea but I plan on going regardless.
Good luck shadetree, sounds like a good time.
With new country comes the unknown and thats what its all about.

Buck
03-11-2011, 10:07 PM
My buddy and i drew tags for Spatsizi so gathering the gear and researching the terrain and bothering a few members for info.

leadpillproductions
03-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Be up north for opening of the season , doing some scouting in june for a few days. Hike in some sort of gear make the main pack a lot easier.

ianwuzhere
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Goat and sheep in Aug for 10 dayz. Cant come soon enough! Will be first fly in hunt..

snareman1234
03-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Goat and sheep Aug 28- Sept 10.

Hike in.

First sheep trip, I'm stoked.

BromBones
03-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Be doing a trip for sure, but still waiting on if/when a couple partners can go. Otherwise I'll do a solo hike-in and see what happens.

Alone in the wildernes
03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Starting out in 6-25, 6-27 at the end of july see if I can round up a dall this year then go from their will be home for xmas. New plane will be here in may.

Orangethunder
03-11-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm getting the Kamloops Lake Draw. Either that or I'll go to the Kootenays for a bighorn, I hear its a gimme down there.

houndogger
03-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Never got a dall draw so planning for a stone hunt:-D

shallowH2O
03-12-2011, 12:05 AM
6-28 for opening morning. fly in

BCbillies
03-12-2011, 12:31 AM
If all goes according to plan it will be a 15 day double ball buster for Stones.

bridger
03-12-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm just gonna drive around until a full curl ram runs across the road, then I'll plunk 'im. :smile:

got room for a passenger?:-D

bridger
03-12-2011, 07:35 AM
If i can't ride around with fd I am going to load up the ponies and go stone hunting for the month of august. going back to lost mountain.

BCrams
03-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Couple weeks chasing Stone's should make for a good start to the hunting season.

sheepaholic
03-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Leavin the end of july in a buddies NEW riverboat for 10 days up north for stones if were unsucsesful then another buddies dad is going to show us some bighorn spots in the koots.

whitetailsheds
03-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Got the Dall tag for 29, Aug......caribou/stone trip, Sept.

KB90
03-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Highway hike in for stones. Season opener. Can't wait.

gbear
03-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Going in for Stone's for the opener. Can't wait

Dale
03-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Taking the new bow and giving it a try for Stones. Not sure when, but it will happen!

srupp
03-12-2011, 02:55 PM
hmmmm well first day back @ work today after the first knee surgery..and two kidney surgeries... and the next surgery on the left knee is scheduled for??? (soon I hope )

So IF that gets done in time its off to the EAST KOOTENAYS for the next leg of my sheep quest...BIGHORNS..:mrgreen:

Im thinking the first part of the season.....unfortunatly from what I hear all mystudying is for naught as everything has been changing...sounds like a disslike for competition...little do the know Im no compitition..just 2 weeks in the mountains looking for sheep..

As for that High Tuya lake area..been up there a couple of years ago 2 cariboo one was a GRONK... world record book ...huge..and we seen some stones heep , however the rams were not big enough ..beautiful country BUT when it blew and rained...:eek:..have GOOD tents water proof and STURDY QUALITY...

Good luck to all...any EXPERIENCED East Kootenay sheep hunters with advice..Im all ears...:tongue:...

cheers
Steven

troutseeker
03-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Geez, Steven. By the time the surgeons are done you'd better be bionic! Do you get frequent flyer discounts??? I had two knee surgeries in 16 months and that was enough for me...

Alpine Addict
03-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Found some new honey holes on google earth. Backpack Grouse trip. Should be some bruisers

Call of the Wild
03-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Planning an other 12-14 days hunt with my brother for this summer chasing stone and/or goat. This year I’m a resident so I’ll have tags!!!! Great time again and I hope we have success again.

kennyj
03-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Hoping to hit the mountains just below the clouds in the top of the photo. I will have to come at it from a different angle this time. Can't wait. Good luck to all.
kenny
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/skeena_09_011.jpg

2x4x16
03-13-2011, 08:42 AM
We have just booked our trip with Kevin @ Riverjet. Last 2 weeks in August. We can't wait, never been in the area and excited to see a different part of the province.

Fisher-Dude
03-13-2011, 08:50 AM
got room for a passenger?:-D

Sure. Bring lots of Tims coffee and Timbits. :mrgreen:

Flingin' Sticks
03-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Trying to get a highway hike in trip put together, but it's looking like it'll fall apart because of the typical student problem...inverse association between time and money. yet again, looks like next year will be the year:neutral:

snareman1234
03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Trying to get a highway hike in trip put together, but it's looking like it'll fall apart because of the typical student problem...inverse association between time and money. yet again, looks like next year will be the year:neutral:

We are leaving summer jobs early and skipping the 1st week of school, nothing happens the first week anyways.

Well.....except for a ram kill:)

moose2
03-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Planning a 2 week stone sheep,moose , goat and caribou combo at the end of sept same as the last 2 years.
Mike

Flingin' Sticks
03-14-2011, 12:50 PM
We are leaving summer jobs early and skipping the 1st week of school, nothing happens the first week anyways.

Well.....except for a ram kill:)

Take me with You:-D:-D:-D

Kody94
03-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Man the talent show is always the best in the first week, before they start putting on the freshman 15...

LOL. I think the sweat pants come out about 10 days into the season.

g_worsnop
03-14-2011, 09:03 PM
East Koots!!! lookin for the ******* ram that keeps giving me the slip

snareman1234
03-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Man the talent show is always the best in the first week, before they start putting on the freshman 15...

we'll be at -15lbs by the time they hit +15

kootenayelkslayer
03-14-2011, 09:18 PM

But as the pounds increase, the self-esteem decreases. That's when you make your move ;)

Having said that, it pays to be there early. It's like opening day of sheep season: You better be there with your gun loaded and ready to go or you might get scooped.

leadpillproductions
03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Ok i have a question when do you guys go for opener . Im going to be walkin in two days before the season , or should i go a day or two earlier.

kootenayelkslayer
03-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Ok i have a question when do you guys go for opener . Im going to be walkin in two days before the season , or should i go a day or two earlier.

I feel two days would be plenty. Any longer than that and a guy starts getting antsy and wants to wander the country-side, often doing nothing but pushing/spooking sheep. That's my opinion anyways, others may disagree.

bridger
03-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Sure. Bring lots of Tims coffee and Timbits. :mrgreen:

sorry can't meet the standards. don't drink coffee. Gibson's?

one-shot-wonder
03-14-2011, 09:33 PM
Do they make a Rye in 0.5%?

bridger
03-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Do they make a Rye in 0.5%?

not really concerned. I will be the passenger. As long as I don't have to open any gates!!

moose2
03-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Personally I don't think going into a sheep area before it opens is a good idea , especially if you already have a good idea of where they are. I think the rams take a couple days to figure out there is more human activity in the mountains and if this happens to be the two days before the season there is a good chance they may leave the valley your in. I am speaking from experience on this one. My first sheep trip my partner and I thought we would go up the hill 3 days before opening do some glassing in hopes to find the rams before opening day , then we would sit on them until opening. This plan backfired as we spooked 7 rams at a 100 yards while looking for a spot to put our tent. Four were legal one for sure was book and maybe another. If it had been open that day we would have both gotten great rams. Instead we got to watch them trott down into the timber never to be seen again on this hunt. I did get a nice 37.5 full curl opening morning on the next mountain , but he wasn't even close to size of the big rams we saw 3 days before. I think getting close to your ram spot the evening before so you can check it out opening morning at first light is your best bet. You can also use the early hunters to your advantage because of this. If you notice vehicles or quads parked at a drainage a couple of days before season use your maps to figure out how to get to the drainage behind the one they are in. Be there opening morning and I think you will see rams.
These are just my thoughts I know not every sheep hunter will agree.
Mike

leadpillproductions
03-14-2011, 10:26 PM
What we figured to do is give us 1 full day to spot them the day before season opener . This a new area for me so 1 day to hike in should do it .

moose2
03-14-2011, 11:13 PM
sounds good well i hope you have good luck
Mike

BlacktailStalker
03-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Makes sense to me Mike.
Sounds like you need to hit that spot again !

budismyhorse
03-15-2011, 02:08 PM
What we figured to do is give us 1 full day to spot them the day before season opener . This a new area for me so 1 day to hike in should do it .

that is a good plan.........plus if things go sideways on the way down (vehicle trouble what have you) you have a buffer.

Caribou_lou
03-15-2011, 02:40 PM
My father and I will be going for a sheep the start of August. We will be hiking in off the highway... Not sure on what day we are leaving yet. Might be opening day... might be the 5th. We are going to watch the weather and go from there!

Robert
03-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Hiking for stones solo in the Racing and Churchill drainages, going up to 30km from the truck from late Aug to late September, park at the wokkapash and go from there. A lot less hunters around that time of the year to.

Timberjack
03-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Hiking for stones solo in the Racing and Churchill drainages, going up to 30km from the truck from late Aug to late September, park at the wokkapash and go from there. A lot less hunters around that time of the year to.

Yeah - but you're a little crazy robert - maybe you should bring a partner this year!!!

Jack

358mag
03-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Buy lotto ticket better odds

one-shot-wonder
03-15-2011, 10:50 PM

Buy lotto ticket better odds

Not with a Granby draw.

358mag
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Not with a Granby draw.
But you still have to get the draw good luck and you still have to get out of your truck to pull the trigger

Fisher-Dude
03-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Or build a fence. That gets you a free tag. :wink:

358mag
03-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Or build a fence. That gets you a free tag. :wink:
Great a high fenced with a road access sheep hunt just what the BCWF boys will go for and with a free tag too .:eek: