PDA

View Full Version : Whisker biscuit thingy...

troutseeker
03-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I shoot fingers and use a plunger type rest on my compound bow. I was looking at some of them fancy whisker biscuit thingy's and thinking that they sure loook like they hold the arrow in place nicely.

Question is, can I use one while shooting with a finger tab? Or is it stricktly something to use with a release aid?:mrgreen:

Thanks, Troutseeker

bearhunter338-06
03-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Have at it. Should be no problem. They do a great job of holing the arrow in place when stalking, I have one on my bow while I have not hunted with it yet, I have walked with the arrow in the rest.

gibblewabble
03-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Its just a rest I am sure you can use fingers with it, I have shot with a whisker biscuit for years and love them but with anything there are fans and then there aren't. They are cheap and worth a try, I don't stand hunt so a whisker biscuit is the way to go for me.

Elkaddict
03-11-2011, 08:24 PM
While apparently not designed to shoot with fingers I do with mine and it works fine. Either stand hunting or still hunting it is nice not to have to check constantly that your arrow is on the rest or the flipper has swung out of place.

bugler
03-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Cheap enough to try it I suppose but I'm guessing it may not work well. Shooting fingers tends to impart a sideways bend in the arrow on release and the whisker won't allow for that. I've shot compound with fingers forever and still do, but I find getting the correct spine to allow for that bend is very important to get true flight off the bow.

I haven't tried one and you won't know until you do. If you get crappy flight you might be able to smooth it out with stiffer arrows.

huntwriter
03-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I've a friend that is a finger shooter and uses a whisker biscuit rest. He loves it. Go ahead and use it, it's just an arrow rest.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Cheap enough to try it I suppose but I'm guessing it may not work well. Shooting fingers tends to impart a sideways bend in the arrow on release and the whisker won't allow for that. I've shot compound with fingers forever and still do, but I find getting the correct spine to allow for that bend is very important to get true flight off the bow.

I haven't tried one and you won't know until you do. If you get crappy flight you might be able to smooth it out with stiffer arrows.

What he said .....

its not reccomended as all full contact rests you want consistancy ... which you can never get full consistancy with fingers ... there are just far too many variables ... ..

If you are a finger shooter and want a containment rest I would reccomend an APA twister Safari ... or other fallaway/containment rest based solely upon the side forces that fingers induce upon release

Your groups will most likely open up a few inches with the WB ... if you are ok with that then go for it ... they are relitivly cheap as been stated and easily resalable if in good shape if you are not happy with it. the WB is not considered a precision shooters rest anyway.

Bow Walker
03-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Arrow spine is a very key factor for arrow flight. You might need to experiment to find an arrow that will do the job for you.

The different arrow dynamics between finger release and mechanical aid release are astounding when viewed in slow motion. Plus they are quite different from each other. Getting a rest (like the WB that is designed for release shooting) that will allow for those different motions and movements, yet still maintain accuracy while shooting with fingers isn't going to be easy.

BZM suggested an APA rest - good idea. APA makes a full containment rest that is specifically designed for finger shooters. Problem solved.
http://www.apaarchery.com/arrow-rests-ultimate-finger.html

troutseeker
03-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Tnaks guys, I'm going to look into that APA ultimate finger rest! Email already sent to Hardcore to see if they stock it.

Cheers, Trotuseeker

Stone Sheep Steve
03-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Just switch to a mechanical release:wink:.

SSS

Bowzone_Mikey
03-12-2011, 03:10 PM

SSS
Best advice of this thread so far

:mrgreen:

Big Lew
03-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Best advice of this thread so far

:mrgreen: x2! I used to shoot fingers, but got tired of the inconsistency related to weather, (cold, hot, rain) so switched to a mechanical release and haven't looked back. My accuracy is far more consistent, especially at longer ranges.

Bow Walker
03-12-2011, 03:48 PM
x3, but it's a whole different can o' worms and a good subject for another thread.

bugler
03-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Dang BW, I haven't seen that one, might have to give it a try.

And while I agree that a release will tighten your groups no matter who you are it ain't necessarily a better option for bow hunting. You do have to practise more on average than release shooters to get the same results. I'm confident to 40 yards on deer and 50 on elk/moose, (never had to take one that far though) and I can usually get off a shot quicker than most release shooters. Also no mechanical problems with my fingers, even if I lose my tab on the trail I can make a good shot if necessary.

That's why I've stayed with fingers, that and Chuck is my hero...

Bow Walker
03-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Dedicated finger shooters are just that - dedicated, and more power to them I say. I tried shooting with fingers when I first got into the sport but I had to go to a release when I upped my poundage to 60 lbs and developed a bit of (or rather aggravated) arthritis in my shooting hand.

Now it's strickly releases for me, even on my long bow.

troutseeker
03-13-2011, 01:25 PM

SSS

Yuck, no thanks!:-D Tried them before and could never get used to them. Maybe if all I did was shoot targets or hunt from a tree stand, but for stalking I prefer fingers, thanks for the suggestion.:tongue:

By the way, I don't use a peep either, although a few years back I did reluctantly put some sights on my bow. I guess that's what happen when life is busy and there is no time to practice regularly, one cheats a bit... :wink:

Blk Arrow
03-13-2011, 05:33 PM
I guess we aren't extinct yet!!
I shot a Cavalier Free flyte for years. When I was shooting lots and was consitent, (the 2 seemed to go hand in hand) I hit a couple of my own nocks a 40 yards.
I went to a whisker biscuit 2 years ago. Doesn't seems to be as accurate as my old rest but it doesn't fall off either with too much finger pressure. I'm confident with it for hunting but if I got back into serious 3-D again I would look at other options.