PDA

View Full Version : bear question

frenchbar
03-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Just a question on bears ..Having hunted for 35 yrs ive never harvested a bear:-?..after skinning it ..if i salt it right away or do i salt it?..can i throw it in the freezer after its salted for a day..how should i package it for the freezer? i will probably leave the head on and let the taxi skin out the head when i take it to get a rug done.thanks
frenchbar.

BlacktailStalker
03-10-2011, 11:05 AM
One or the other...
Yogi killer :lol:

frenchbar
03-10-2011, 11:07 AM
One or the other...
Yogi killer :lol:
lol it will be my kid doing the harvesting ..i got no need to kill a yogi:) i will stick to the muleys.

Mr. Dean
03-10-2011, 11:19 AM
If you're going to freeze, DON'T salt it! Salting interferes w/ the freezing process. If you're leaving the head on, salting isn't an option - Pack a freezer. :wink:

italhunter
03-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Use a fine salt after you have skinned it and make sure and cover every square inch of it. If your storing it in the freezer, lay it fur side down, fold the hind legs up onto the front legs, then fold the legs under its head and fold it so the head is resting up on the rest of the hide. Place it in a large plastic bag and lay flat in the freezer. I hope that makes sense.

I have salted and then put the hides in the freezer. I have never had a problem with doing that, but I know alot of people swear that you shouldn't do it.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Use a fine salt after you have skinned it and make sure and cover every square inch of it. If your storing it in the freezer, lay it fur side down, fold the hind legs up onto the front legs, then fold the legs under its head and fold it so the head is resting up on the rest of the hide. Place it in a large plastic bag and lay flat in the freezer. I hope that makes sense.

I have salted and then put the hides in the freezer. I have never had a problem with doing that, but I know alot of people swear that you shouldn't do it.

Once the salt has pulled out all of the moisture from the hide, it's okay to freeze it.

SSS

Orangethunder
03-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Skinning the head is pretty easy. If you have caped a deer or sheep it's simple by comparison. The paws are a pain in the rear though. I have been told that the more fat you remove the better off you are. To be honest the smell is the hardest part to deal with though.

frenchbar
03-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Skinning the head is pretty easy. If you have caped a deer or sheep it's simple by comparison. The paws are a pain in the rear though. I have been told that the more fat you remove the better off you are. To be honest the smell is the hardest part to deal with though.

To be honest ive never caped a deer or any animal for that matter..ive never been into keeping capes for mounts ..i just shoot muleys ..skin them..bone em out and eat em:-D:mrgreen: and throw the racks on my shed roof:)

SHAKER
03-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Paws are a pain but if you "Y" down from the wrist and go around the pad then it's a whole lot easier, little extra sewing for 1\2 mounts or life size but is much easier to get all the fat out of them paws.. If your going to rug it then just cut right downt the middle of the pad or remove the pads completly staying right on the edge of the hair. Easiest is just bring it frozen to a guy that know's what he's doing but it really aint that hard. Salt or freeze but not both. Like Stone Steve said after moisture is out freezing is OK but why take the chance.

srupp
03-10-2011, 12:35 PM
hmmmm IF ya havnt done it before and you ARE going to get the hide tanned and made into a rug??

leave the head inside the hide,and the paws..do the 4 finger meaurment above the anus to keep the back legs even..and fold flesh side in rolling into ball WITH THE HEAD OUTSIDE THE "BALL" (otherwise the hide insulates the head and may have slippage before head freezes) and throw the entire parcel in the freezer and let the taxidermist do it right for $75 more...for the first one..

as much as I HAVE DONE I have always been taught never freeze a slated hide..salt wont let it freeze and freezing wont let the salt work??:confused:

So i have never done this in 35 years..and so far never had one slip..

most times I skin it all out everything but if in a hurry or someone elses bear..I do as I suggested with teh freezing..when I guided..no freezing skin, turned and salted..

cheers and GOOD LUCK..

steven

frenchbar
03-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys.much appreciated .

Orangethunder
03-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Paws are a pain but if you "Y" down from the wrist and go around the pad then it's a whole lot easier, little extra sewing for 1\2 mounts or life size but is much easier to get all the fat out of them paws.. If your going to rug it then just cut right downt the middle of the pad or remove the pads completly staying right on the edge of the hair. Easiest is just bring it frozen to a guy that know's what he's doing but it really aint that hard. Salt or freeze but not both. Like Stone Steve said after moisture is out freezing is OK but why take the chance.

Ive 'tried' doing the paws but had limited success. Probably need to watch it being done.

Frenchbar, you should really try to cape one out one day. It can be a character building experience. If you time it right the wasps and flies make it even better.

frenchbar
03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Ive 'tried' doing the paws but had limited success. Probably need to watch it being done.

Frenchbar, you should really try to cape one out one day. It can be a character building experience. If you time it right the wasps and flies make it even better.

i may give it a go on one this spring ...my son realy wants to take a nice bear..me i could do without..i dought i would have much of a problem doing it ...just be kind of nice to see it done up close and personel .

Orangethunder
03-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Its not for everyone. By the time you get to the head and the paws you might be ready for someone else to take over. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of dealing with bears in general. I just need to remind myself of that every few years, usually by dealing with a bear...:neutral:

sawmill
03-10-2011, 03:16 PM
No salt.Freezer and let the Taxi do the tricky stuff if it`s a super bear.Practice on the dinks but you sure don`t want to wreck the face on a serious big guy.Listen to what Sruup said,head outside the roll.And like Orange said,by the time you are done the main skinning you will be happy to let the Taxi do the rest for what it costs.I hate messing with bears,done too many I guess.

sky-gunner
03-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Just curious, plan on going bear hunting myself for the first time this spring, but why is it not for everyone? I to would like a rug if I get a nice one. Just curious as to the downsides of bagging a bear? Is it the work involved skinning them out or do they smell bad? Thanks in advance.

BigBear.338
03-10-2011, 06:17 PM
skin it,salt it,and tan it.

Orangethunder
03-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Just curious, plan on going bear hunting myself for the first time this spring, but why is it not for everyone? I to would like a rug if I get a nice one. Just curious as to the downsides of bagging a bear? Is it the work involved skinning them out or do they smell bad? Thanks in advance.

I think they smell nasty. Not to mention greasy and at times full of worms. Then once you get them skinned they look much like a person would without skin. They also lack antlers (at least the ones I've shot) which makes dragging them a pain. If your planning on a rug you might want to avoid dragging it altogether. Skin it on the spot if you can.

Just my $0.02

sky-gunner
03-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Well I appreciate the heads up. I can see how people could get tierd of dealing with those particular issues. How common are the worms?

Fisher-Dude
03-10-2011, 08:51 PM
do the 4 finger meaurment above the anus

Frenchie, anus, and 4 fingers. This could go bad in a hurry! :shock:

frenchbar
03-10-2011, 09:07 PM
all this talk about stinky smelly bear ..worms ..4 fingers and anus.. has got me to thinking ..screw the bear hunting :)..the kid can go do it him self :mrgreen:

Orangethunder
03-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Well I appreciate the heads up. I can see how people could get tierd of dealing with those particular issues. How common are the worms?

I was talking to a bear hunter about bear hams. He told about one that they cooked up for some sort of get together. After trying a few pieces they stepped out of the kitchen only to return to a few of the worms making their escape from the ham. They were kinda put off after that.

sky-gunner
03-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Sht i can understand that. That actually sounds pretty nasty. Perhaps i may just wait it out for elk season haha.

.330 Dakota
03-10-2011, 09:57 PM
I think they smell nasty. Not to mention greasy and at times full of worms. Then once you get them skinned they look much like a person would without skin. They also lack antlers (at least the ones I've shot) which makes dragging them a pain. If your planning on a rug you might want to avoid dragging it altogether. Skin it on the spot if you can.

Just my $0.02
Your bears lacked antlers? OMG am I hunting the wrong critters? LOL

.330 Dakota
03-10-2011, 09:58 PM
all this talk about stinky smelly bear ..worms ..4 fingers and anus.. has got me to thinking ..screw the bear hunting :)..the kid can go do it him self :mrgreen:

Now thats funny stuff right there>

SHAKER
03-10-2011, 11:06 PM

Wow...... smelly bears, worms, 4 fingers? what ever???:shock: If you want to learn how' it's done then let me know.... I'll show any HBC member how to skin out a bear, just PM me and lets sit down and get'r done! I'd rather deal with a bear then then a coyote anyday!

BromBones
03-11-2011, 08:42 PM
! I'd rather deal with a bear then then a coyote anyday!

x2. Bears have a distinct smell to them, but it's not that bad. Some of them old coyotes and wolves get pretty rank though.

Bear hides are very simple once you've done a few. Head and paws are a snap - it's the fleshing that is the most time consuming part of the process. Find a trapper who can show you how to use a fleshing beam & flesher, and how to use sawdust to deal with the grease - you'll be surprised how simple a job it is.

ElectricDyck
03-11-2011, 09:24 PM
One rug trick I heard recently is to start with the cuts up the legs before the belly as it is easier to keep your cuts symmetrical.

Orangethunder
03-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Your bears lacked antlers? OMG am I hunting the wrong critters? LOL

I think its just the ones near Lac La Hache, kind of a sub species. Unlike the deer the bears there grow decent antlers.

mrak
03-12-2011, 01:05 PM
just the grizzly smells as eats and rolls in his dinner ,,the black are more veggy and the mountian ones are clean . As far as the worm thing ,pork ,fish and horse meat and many others have them the just legal are the sausage bears.just the temp. inside or freezing kills the worm . as the grizz hide scrape and borax soap shake and dry and lay old blanket on and roll up hair out then the frezzer

Canadian Dad
03-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the question as well as all the answers guys. I too am going to give it a go this year. I was thinking of just doing the skull up, instead of a full pelt. Don't want a real trophy anyway as I am looking for the experience ........ and pepperoni meat.

Liptugger
03-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Ok, this will also be my first bear season, how is the worm issue with spring island bear?

ElectricDyck
03-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I shot a sechelt bear 1 km from the beach and it was tasty!

mrak
03-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Island bears are great end of May and hit the snow line these guys would not know a fish if it was looking at the .I have ghanged the mind of a lot of hunters as far as bears go and some are on this web site as i am now mixing bear deer and elk as a cross pep. sausage. If i can keep friends away as they smell the smoker