PDA

View Full Version : What waterfowl species are available on the island?

Peace Country
03-10-2011, 08:39 AM
What the common Sea Ducks, common Divers, and Puddlers that are availalbe to hunt on the island?

lorneparker1
03-10-2011, 08:50 AM
There is no ducks here.

03-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Malards, Widgeon,teal,canadas,pintails,gadwall,bufflehaeds, scoters,golden eye, and im sure some more im missing.

Spirit's Master
03-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Not a duck but I did see 2 (easy to count) Snow Geese in the Comox Harbour yesterday.

Wood ducks are around also.

cwf

03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I wacked two of thoes on the West coast as well. One took me off guard. Sitting in a flock of seagulls. Noticed it walking to our blind. My buddy yelled at me "What the hell ya doin!" then the dog came back with a snow.

porcupine
03-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I've shot mallards, widgeon, pintails, gadwalls, GW Teal, ring-necked ducks, wood ducks, shovelers, canvasbacks, scaup ( both types), goldeneyes (both types), mergansers (3 types), buffleheads and scoters. There are other species available if you target them, i.e. old squaws, harlequins eider and scoters but they are harder to hunt as they are more open water birds.

As for geese, I've shot several types of Canada geese and even a couple of white fronts. I'm seeing more whitefronts now but they are closed for shooting.

Since we're right on the pacific flyway, you could get any of the types of waterfowl that migrate up and down the coast.

Trapper D
10-09-2011, 11:30 PM
since it got dark tonight , there have been a non-stop flow of snow geese flying over my house, just checked again and their still moving through, thousands must be passing by tonight. dont know how far they travel before they make their pit stops, but comox, nanaimo, should have a large number of snowys in the morning. good luck to all you goose hunters. good day for an early morning goose hunt, considering its T G day. oh campbell river is where their presently flying overhead

Trapper D
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
just curious , if anyone knows average distances migrating geese travel in a day, i know there is many variables. im just curious because of the huge numbers of geese flying over last night. usually i hear them over top, in random flocks over a period of days and weeks, but last night , was the first time i heard steady honking for hours . i know that the geese are multiplying like rats, as ive seen a documentary on the damage they are causing up in the arctic.