PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits lately?

Rugernator
03-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Anyone do any rabbit hunting lately? If so how are the populations in your area? Are they skinny after the really snowy winter?

solanderdog
04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I've never hunted rabbit, but I've been thinking about giving it a go. Any good tips with regards to getting started?

sarg
04-04-2011, 05:53 PM
i was in rock creek last sept for a week and in oct for a week and the rabbits were every where, it seemed like every corner we came around there was a rabbit sitting there. seen more rabbit then grouse.

Bucks&Ducks
04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
populations are bad since they creared out U-vic

Rugernator
04-04-2011, 06:50 PM
I've never hunted rabbit, but I've been thinking about giving it a go. Any good tips with regards to getting started?

Well get yourself a nice .22 throw a 3-9X40 scope on there and your set as far as the rifle goes.

As for where to go for rabbit i know rock creek is good last year i saw a couple rabbits, but tonnes of poop :P so there must be a nice population there. However im looking to doing some rabbit hunting a little closer to home, i wanna find a nice area around harrison or stave lake / mission area. I have yet to hunt rabbit here in the lower mainland.

solanderdog
04-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info, Rugernator.

I have a Ruger .22 that'll work, and, yes, would also like to find some areas closer to home than Rock Creek. Will keep an eye out, thanks.

Rugernator
04-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the info, Rugernator.

I have a Ruger .22 that'll work, and, yes, would also like to find some areas closer to home than Rock Creek. Will keep an eye out, thanks.

I also use a Ruger 10/22, with CCI Velocitor ammo.
Keep me posted if you find some nice places close to home. Ill post here when i find a nice area.

solanderdog
04-08-2011, 05:51 AM
Keep me posted if you find some nice places close to home. Ill post here when i find a nice area.

Deal bud!

I've already been out scouting a few times this year, but all I've found so far is a lot of uphill walking.

huntinnewbie
04-08-2011, 06:00 AM
We mainly hunt the Princeton area and I am the first to admit we are day hunters meaning we are usually back to camp well before dark.
One afternoon we stayed out later than normal and we were heading back to camp just before dusk. I couldn't believe the rabbits that suddenly started to appear out of nowhere. It seemed every corner we came around on the logging roads had a rabbit sitting in the road.
So I think hunting them during the bright sunshine may be the wrong time of day.

Rugernator
04-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah rabbits are best hunted bright and early, or late afternoon/evening. You dont wanna look for them right in the middle of the day, although sometimes they come out and sit in the sun its very rare, and dangerous for them. They spend the day around/inside their burrows.

new hunter
06-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I ussually see bunnies in the last two areas of day light , ussually in areas to dense and bushy for grouse . I prefer a 12g loaded with #4 through an improved cylinder . I tried a .22 but i found I wrecked too much meat , although if your accurate enough for a head shot that shouldn't be a problem

Livewire322
06-07-2011, 11:04 AM
I've found a few around mount savona

moosinaround
06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Up around PG you could limit out on hares this year. Went out on sunday and stopped counting at 15 hares!!!!! Lots of the waskally wabbits!! Moosin

GrullaGuy
06-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I have a few spots I like to go to where there are lots of bunnies. I like to get on site before dawn and then start hunting as soon as I can see. These days, I only shoot one and then stop... I am usually home in half an hour.
I found that if I shot too many, I would spend more time than I wanted cleaning them and then there would not be enough room in the freezer when deer season started.

Livewire322
06-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Is there any areas to hunt rabbits in the LML? 2-18?

bmw_hockey
06-07-2011, 04:21 PM
i got a couple snow shoe hares last week, around sunday summit area, tons up there. they should be good.

Rugernator
06-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Last week? Snowshoe hares are closed right now until Aug. 1..

nolimits
06-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Last Saturday on my bear hunting trip I also have seen one snowshoe hare, but because the season is closed there was not much I could do about it. Also having only 30-06 with me didn't help. I guess there wouldn't be much left from the hare with a caliber like that.

Rugernator
06-07-2011, 07:12 PM
nolimits, you should always carry a .22 with you just in case u see a grouse or a wabbit while your out doing your other hunting.
Ofcourse only when their respective seasons are open :P

nolimits
06-07-2011, 07:24 PM
nolimits, you should always carry a .22 with you just in case u see a grouse or a wabbit while your out doing your other hunting.
Ofcourse only when their respective seasons are open :P

I know. And I have a really nice .22 ruger for that, but it was my first hunt ever and I just wanted to concentrate on a bear.:-D:-D:-D

The Dude
06-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I know where there's a TON of semi-tame rabbits in Texas, if you wanna go on a shootin' safari! :-)
University educated too! :-)

Moose72
06-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Lots up here in the cariboo this year as well. But? What on earth do ya do with them skinny little things?

Rugernator
06-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Personally i throw them in a stew with carrots and potatoes.. Makes for some tasty eatin'
Grandma throws them in the oven with potatoes, not much meat on the bones but its tasty with a bit of garlic!
Im gonna be comming up to the cariboo looking for some in the fall. 108mile ranch ! :D

bmw_hockey
06-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Last week? Snowshoe hares are closed right now until Aug. 1..

Im status native, so if there in my territory...

Rugernator
06-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Im status native, so if there in my territory...

I'm sorry i realized after i typed and posted, that was probably the case.
Where they a good size?

bmw_hockey
06-08-2011, 09:19 PM
no problem, yes they were, I got all the meat de-boned in my freezer, I just got my new .22, its a TC R-55 with a Leopuld rimfire 4X, so it was really nice getting out and plinking, good on you though for knowing your info.

Bistchen
07-05-2011, 08:47 PM
logging roads north of pemberton is where i go.

pembified
07-05-2011, 08:55 PM
logging roads north of pemberton is where i go.
North, like Prince George north. Nothing to see here, keep moving....

Singleshotneeded
07-07-2011, 09:06 AM
I find them in the hills just before dark, the morning not so much. Also found that when you see one,
keep your eyes peeled, because they're usually in communities that cover a few kilometres.