PDA

View Full Version : Shot a nice Billy today....

Marlin375
03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
......with my "work gun"

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab62/Marlin375/Goatpics/HairyHoudinitheNorthBeachBilly.jpg

Pretty good drive up viewing opertunities for those that are wanting to learn and practice the finer points of sexing these majestic rock dwellers before investing in the time and effort to get within range and then questioning your ability to pick out a Billy.

leadpillproductions
03-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Nice lookin billly

Manglinmike
03-09-2011, 09:15 PM
That is a nice billy forsure, I want to go after one this fall in the EK and was wondering about field judging horn leanght,any tips ?

mark
03-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Summerland????

BiG Boar
03-09-2011, 10:12 PM
That is a nice billy forsure, I want to go after one this fall in the EK and was wondering about field judging horn leanght,any tips ?

length wise I read that nose to eye is 9 inches and nose to base of ear is 11 inches? Average length of a 4 year old billy is 8.5 inches if I remember correctly. Don't quote me on any of that. But that is how you can judge them.

Marlin375
03-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Summerland????

Yup.

Pretty sure he is the famous Hairy Houdini, the North Beach Billy that fell into the crack the day after the slide happened. He has been hanging around North Beach road for the last week or so. He is about the right size and age now. The big Billy that shows up in the fall to service the Nannies on the Goats Bluff is pretty impressive.

Marlin375
03-09-2011, 10:47 PM
length wise I read that nose to eye is 9 inches and nose to base of ear is 11 inches? Average length of a 4 year old billy is 8.5 inches if I remember correctly. Don't quote me on any of that. But that is how you can judge them.

My guess would be that this guy is 6 this June, until they are 4 or 5 they are more difficult to sex, then the horns start to get obviously different.

I use 4 ways to tell sex

Profile-
1) billies have a fixed radius horn curve and nannies curve more towards the tip

Face on-
2) billies have thicker bases and less fur between them
3) billies horns are more parrallel "U" and nannies flare or form more of a "V"

Underside-
4) Nuts

If it is hard to tell chances are he is not better than an average 4-5 year old.

As far as field judging horn length, thats pretty tough, myself I would just hang with them for as long as you can, watch the herd, and in particular the remote knobs and outcrops within 1 or 2k of the herd and shoot the biggest billy on the mountain on the last day.

Are goats open during the rut? that would surely make finding the big guy alot easier.....he will come to you.

Kyle84
03-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Very nice! Haven't been able to get some myself, but it sure gets you pumped.

Crawfy42
03-10-2011, 10:26 AM
All goats ears are about the same length - 4 inches. You can compare the horn length to the ears while looking in the spotting score to make a decent guess on how long they are

warnniklz
03-10-2011, 11:28 AM
My guess would be that this guy is 6 this June, until they are 4 or 5 they are more difficult to sex, then the horns start to get obviously different.

I use 4 ways to tell sex

Profile-
1) billies have a fixed radius horn curve and nannies curve more towards the tip

Face on-
2) billies have thicker bases and less fur between them
3) billies horns are more parrallel "U" and nannies flare or form more of a "V"

Underside-
4) Nuts

If it is hard to tell chances are he is not better than an average 4-5 year old.

As far as field judging horn length, thats pretty tough, myself I would just hang with them for as long as you can, watch the herd, and in particular the remote knobs and outcrops within 1 or 2k of the herd and shoot the biggest billy on the mountain on the last day.

Are goats open during the rut? that would surely make finding the big guy alot easier.....he will come to you.

You must be pretty good at hunting goats if you can get under them and not spook them!

03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Nice shot!
but i like the more high percentage shots. Take'em in the chest :)