PDA

View Full Version : Old Decoy For Training??

meat eater
03-09-2011, 07:46 PM
I was wondering if it is OK to use a old rubber duck decoy for training my dog to retreive? or if this will just create problem's later on in the feild.

dutchie
03-09-2011, 08:07 PM
it will create problems.

ONE time, i will repeat ONE TIME, I had my dog retrive a decoy that was floating away and now he likes to move my deeks around every once in a while.

Buy a Doken Trainer or a canvas dummby.

Dutchie

Foxton Gundogs
03-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Dutchie is right on the money your dog should be learning to ignore decoys not retrieve them. And you can inject the dokins with training scent (duck, Goose or whatever the dummy is) u can also sprinkle the scent on canvas bumpers and store them in ziploc bagsworks great.
Wholesale Sports ahs a fair selection of training products.

meat eater
03-09-2011, 08:38 PM
thank you very much!!

fowlweather
03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
if you really want a real duck go to art knapp in langley or go to fraser valley auctions they sell ducks and pheasants there

meat eater
03-09-2011, 10:33 PM
i think i will go with the dokin and scent. thank's again for the help!!! i hope nobody mind's as i think i will be lookin for more help in the future! there sure is alot of helpful and knowledgable people on here. very glad i found this site!!!

Foxton Gundogs
03-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Ask away thats how we ALL learn

Good Luck
HAVE FUN!!!

meat eater
03-10-2011, 09:33 PM
i have a new question for ya's!! my new dog retrieves well but she doesn't alway's want to bring it right back to me she run's around me half the time. but she did really well with me shooting a gun around her today after the first two shot's she seemed not to be bothered one bit. She sure was watching the geese fly over!! i just hope she will be ready for this fall!!

Foxton Gundogs
03-11-2011, 08:56 AM
take her back to puppy training. I use a "chute" about 6'wide and 20' long I built out of rebar posts and chicken wire. Gives the dog nowhere to go but back to you. (anything of similar shape that restriscts her "escape" will do even a long hallway indoors). Lots of praise when she returns to you directly. Aldo work on her sit/stay then recall WITHOUT the retrieve so she gets the come comand down pat.

Good luck

Jimsue
03-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm starting a pup , 11 weeks old. First the hallway in the house, then the alley way in the barn, now we are on a 50ft check cord in the field. Lots of praise when they come back. Crate her before and after training and no more than 5 or 6 retrives.

Good luck

4ptbuck
03-11-2011, 11:12 AM
"Crate her before and after training and no more than 5 or 6 retrives."

what's the intention of crating?

I haven't been doing that. Perhaps I should?

Jimsue
03-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I feel if you crate for 1/2 an hour before training they come out looking to do something, looking for attention. 1/2 an hour after gives them time to remember how much fun it was to be working with you, and remember what they just did. If you pull a kid out of a playground, teach him a new math concept for 15 min then send him back to the playground, chances are he won't remember to much of it.

Just my oppion.

Foxton Gundogs
03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I don,t crate before and after training, but do use their runs (6'X14') before and after a session just daily routine, never thought of it but same concept I guess, sure cant hurt. As for the 5 or 6 retrieves I believe you are working with a young adult dog so that may be a little brief BUT do keep it short leave them wanting more and end on a posative note.

labguy
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
:confused:Rather than relying on internet advice and the possiblity of misinterpretation of that advice and continual back and forth questions and answers and sometimes getting conflicting advice from people,:-? you could contact a lower mainland retriever club and ask if you could come out to a training day.:-D http://www.bcretrievernews.ca/clubs.htm

Observing how these dogs are handled and trained will give you a baseline of knowlege for asking good questions. In addtion you'll have a bit of knowlege so you will have a better understanding of the responses.

If you approach with the right attitude ( i.e I want to learn something and am truly interested in this) you may be fortunate enough to have some knowlegable person take you under their wing and help you with your dog.

This may take a few phone calls to get connected with someone who is willing to help, but it will save you a lot of time and grief in the long run.

You've been fortunate with this thread in that the input you've received so far has been fairly solid advice from people with experience. It is not always that way.

Without a baseline of knowlege you will have no way of determining what is good advice and what is not so good.

Good luck and if you need more contact information, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. I will then put you in contact with some good people. It's much easier and more productive to have an actual conversation than typing back and forth.

Nathaniel Poe
03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
If they don't bring it directly to you, start wailing on them until they yelp, then lay off and throw the decoy again. Eventually they will get the point

Jimsue
03-11-2011, 03:41 PM
N Poe........... tell us all you are joking, if you are not, I feel sorry for your dog. As Labguy said, your best bet is to hook up with a training group in your area, unless Mr. Poe is a member of it.

Kasomor
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
N Poe........... tell us all you are joking, if you are not, I feel sorry for your dog. As Labguy said, your best bet is to hook up with a training group in your area, unless Mr. Poe is a member of it.

Well said.

Another case of you can't fix stupid.

huntwriter
03-14-2011, 10:52 PM
If they don't bring it directly to you, start wailing on them until they yelp, then lay off and throw the decoy again. Eventually they will get the point

If that is a joke it was in very poor taste. If it is not you never should be allowed to keep a dog or any animal for that matter. I worked for over 30 years as an animal behaviourist and animal trainer. During that time four animal owners received hefty fines and one went to jail because I turned them in, and I am proud of that.:wink:

Foxton Gundogs
03-14-2011, 11:13 PM
If that is a joke it was in very poor taste. If it is not you never should be allowed to keep a dog or any animal for that matter. I worked for over 30 years as an animal behaviourist and animal trainer. During that time four animal owners received hefty fines and one went to jail because I turned them in, and I am proud of that.:wink:

Wel said AND well DONE