PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Rhino reviews

Shooter
03-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Well I was looking at upgrading my old Etrex legend GPS for this years hunting season and I was pretty sure I was going to get the Garmin 60CSX but I started thinking about the Rhino's. I think it would be pretty handy being that I hunt with my 2 boys and my wife even comes out sometimes. It would definitly be a bonus to be able to see exactly where they are on the GPS whenever we split up. But I already have good 2 way radios So I guess I am just wondering how the Rhino would compare to say the 60CsX? Does the Rhino get good reception under heavy canopy? The Rhino would be handy but I don't want to sacrifice function for handy. I realize that to be able to get all the benefits of a Rhino that you need at least 2 of them.

Anybody have experience with both of these units that could give me an honest opinion? My legend is just useless under any kind of tree canopy and ideally I want one that doesn't lose a signal when a bird flies over.

Will either the Rhino or the 60CsX keep satellites locked while it is in a pocket?

Alone in the wildernes
03-09-2011, 06:31 PM
I use my 60csx in my pocket or pack and works fine even in tree cover. My old Etrex was not worth having.

Call of the Wild
03-09-2011, 06:54 PM
I have a 60CS, never had an issue, great product and i recommend any 60 serie GPS. *Usually I try to get my reception in an open area girst then either I put the GPS in a top pocket of my pack or a chest pocket of my shirt if checking progress is required. *I don't loose my reception even if i'm in the bush. *

My brother have the Rino 520 __x. *The garmin with the "x" have better reception, quicker and more precise. *Both of our GPS are great device and very reliable but his GPS have newer features. **

So the 60CsX would be a excellent GPS based on my experience with the Garmin 60 serie and 520 Rino GPS.

2x4x16
03-09-2011, 07:05 PM
I had an old Etrex Legend, use less little gizmo. My hunting buddy and I have the Rhinos and love them.
I bought them after a hunting group I know came back from their trip up north. Its a large group of guys with ages from early twenties to mid seventies. One afternoon the group was out and the fog set in - thicks as thieves, so a couple of the older guys decided to head back down the mountain and back into camp. They separated themselves by about 30 minutes and on different trails. While all made it back to predetermined spot one guy was missing. The missing guy is the last man I would have ever expected to go missing - he is very bush smart and his been hunting with this same group for almost 60 years - these guys just know who each other, how each moves and how they respond to the bush. As soon they realized that the one guy was missing they knew they where in trouble. A couple of hours where spent trying to look for him. A rescue call was made from a Sat phone. By this time the entire group was back together. A couple of the guys that returned late realized that they could track the lost hunter with the Rhino that he had and that they had. They didn't really spend time before hand to figure them out, but they did figure it out and where able to track down the lost hunter. Cancel the rescue. Well the entire group bought the Rhino and I did to when I heard their story.
After loading it with the Backroads map card, it is simply an amazing tool to have and well worth it.

Shooter
03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
So does the rhino only show you where friends are? or does it show any and all rhinos in the area. Whether you know the people or not? Do you need to pair the rhinos up before you go out or can any joe blow with a rhino see exactly where I am hunting at any given time when he is in range?

fowlweather
03-09-2011, 07:18 PM
So does the rhino only show you where friends are? or does it show any and all rhinos in the area. Whether you know the people or not? Do you need to pair the rhinos up before you go out or can any joe blow with a rhino see exactly where I am hunting at any given time when he is in range?

no it tells you where your friends with their name and avatar that looks like a face like this:-D you can text them too

2x4x16
03-09-2011, 07:22 PM
There are a number pre written messages to send. As well you can type up your own messages.

knockturnal
03-09-2011, 07:40 PM
It will show anyone who is on your Channel. The Canadian versions only transmit at 2watts. The American versions transmit at 5. I have a 5watt and have used it a bunch. You can buy ear pieces that have a push to talk button on the cord. It works great from a pocket too. Every time one of your buddies hits the talk button, it transmits his position to everyone else on the channel. Doesnt even have to talk. Just make sure to get an American one.

CR CRUISER
03-10-2011, 08:35 AM
I bought 2 Rhino's about 5 years ago. They have worked okay but my hunting partner refuses to carry his. He's afraid he'll lose or damage it. I got it so that I wouldn't lose him. :(

If you are planning to buy charts or topo maps, check and see if you need to get one set for each unit. When I got mine, I had to get 2 complete sets of Topo, Streets and Trips and marine charts. With 2 sets of hands free, car chargers and other accessories as well as the software, it was an additional $1000 on top of the 2 units.

Range hasn't been an issue so far. The 5 watt units seem to be good for at least 2 or 3 miles. The GPS will keep a lock even when in my pocket and in the timber.

2x4x16
03-10-2011, 09:00 AM
I bought 2 Rhino's about 5 years ago. They have worked okay but my hunting partner refuses to carry his. He's afraid he'll lose or damage it. I got it so that I wouldn't lose him. :(

If you are planning to buy charts or topo maps, check and see if you need to get one set for each unit. When I got mine, I had to get 2 complete sets of Topo, Streets and Trips and marine charts. With 2 sets of hands free, car chargers and other accessories as well as the software, it was an additional $1000 on top of the 2 units.

Range hasn't been an issue so far. The 5 watt units seem to be good for at least 2 or 3 miles. The GPS will keep a lock even when in my pocket and in the timber.

The newer Rhinos take a micro sd card - the Backroads map card for BC is about $150. the detail of the card is about 100 times that of the map book. It picks up old skidder trails and and path way that was once used.

I was told (in December) that the Rhinos where being discontinued, they said sale numbers where no there for them to continue. If you want one check it out soon than later.

waistdeep
03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I have the sd card in mine and my boys and it is simple to use and keeps all of us knowing where the other is. when we split up to walk or scout , well you can't beat it

gameslayer
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
We use them in our Hunting Group ,we think they are great. I have used Garmin 76 same as the 60 just the marine version and have the 530hcx. You get the same features with the 530, purchased topo Canada because for BC you needed at the time to buy 2 maps southern and Northern. Cheaper to buy Canada and get it all. I am glad I got the 530 I use it with the kids as well for camping (long range power to call them back for dinner) one less piece of equipment to pack being all in one, less batteries to pack and you can text your buddy that a big F-----g Moose is coming when there is no cell service :mrgreen: . Great way to kill time as well on a slow hunting day and you want to be quite and poke fun at your buddy. Came in Handy this year had my partner meet up with me deep in the bush tracking a moose he just had to hit go to my last radio location and we were in buisness.

One down side if you loose it you loose both navigation and Radio besides the good old compass (which the 530 has an electronic one).

Brew
03-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Get the rhino. Mine is great and when with friends that have a rhino it's great to be able to see where they are in relation to you