PDA

View Full Version : redfern lake

30-06 man
03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
hey guys me my dad and pals are going for a hunting trip to redfern lake in september for about a week or so mabye longer. i was just wondering what game is up there i know there is some moose and ive herd theres some thinhorn and goat also some bison.just wondering so i know what tags to buy and what im in for thx.

curt
03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
elk too on the way in

Steeleco
03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
I've been to Trimble twice (just south or Redfern) You'll find a lot of tourists there these days. There's a resort there these days, so depending on where you stay, you may find more people than your wanting.

http://walkabout.pris.ca/

When I was there, we saw Moose, Elk, Cariboo, one big mother of a Black Bear, white tail bucks all over and a few mulies. Wolves could be heard all night long. We even had a few Bison pay us a visit. This was 10 years back, so hopefully some modern info will tell you better.

Beautiful country mind you!

leadpillproductions
03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Been in there 4 times lots of hunters , tags are cheap have them all you just never know

elkdom
03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I've been to Trimble twice (just south or Redfern) You'll rind a lot of tourists there these days. There's a resort there these days, so depending on where you stay, you may find more people than your wanting.

http://walkabout.pris.ca/

When I was there, we saw Moose, Elk, Cariboo, one big mother of a Black Bear, white tail bucks all over and a few mulies. Wolves could be heard all night long. We even had a few Bison pay us a visit. This was 10 years back, so hopefully some modern info will hell you better.

Beautiful country mind you!

I stopped wasting money and effort to go hunting in there, in the early 1990's,,, the cutlines and atv-trails are as busy as a FREEWAY, hunters/campers/sight-see'ers , there is game,,, but there are way more people than moose!

moose2
03-09-2011, 01:18 AM
It is a very busy spot, but also can be productive and is very beautiful. The lake itself is quad access only with trail restrictions. Many mineral licks and creeks through out area. If you plan for after Sept 10 and before the 30 you will be able to hunt all these species.

4 pnt mule deer ( look just above tree line )
any whitetail buck ( stay low watch licks around minaker and pocket knife creeks )
Antler restricted bull moose ( could be any where call late Sept )
Stone sheep ( some winter there , but very hard to find in season )
Goats ( most of that area is closed watch maps , 2 LEH high odds )
6 pnt bull elk ( watch licks , side hills and aspen flats call all Sept )
5 pnt caribou ( drive in trail 4km stop quad hike mountian to your right )
grizzly ( LEH only one tag , good # of bears all through area though )
black bear ( only ever seen a few in there mostly on oil roads )
lots of grouse
wolves ( some are shot every fall )
no bison open in Sept

Winches or chains for quads and trucks are a good idea if it rain or snows while your in there. This area is extreamly muddy when wet. The lakes are beautiful but there is some great hunting long before them that may be a little less crowded , there is outfitters that use the area as well ( mostly horse back) good luck I hope you enjoy your hunt
Mike

hunter1947
03-09-2011, 02:51 AM
It is a very busy spot, but also can be productive and is very beautiful. The lake itself is quad access only with trail restrictions. Many mineral licks and creeks through out area. If you plan for after Sept 10 and before the 30 you will be able to hunt all these species.

4 pnt mule deer ( look just above tree line )
any whitetail buck ( stay low watch licks around minaker and pocket knife creeks )
Antler restricted bull moose ( could be any where call late Sept )
Stone sheep ( some winter there , but very hard to find in season )
Goats ( most of that area is closed watch maps , 2 LEH high odds )
6 pnt bull elk ( watch licks , side hills and aspen flats call all Sept )
5 pnt caribou ( drive in trail 4km stop quad hike mountian to your right )
grizzly ( LEH only one tag , good # of bears all through area though )
black bear ( only ever seen a few in there mostly on oil roads )
lots of grouse
wolves ( some are shot every fall )
no bison open in Sept

Winches or chains for quads and trucks are a good idea if it rain or snows while your in there. This area is extreamly muddy when wet. The lakes are beautiful but there is some great hunting long before them that may be a little less crowded , there is outfitters that use the area as well ( mostly horse back) good luck I hope you enjoy your hunt
Mike

I have to agree with moose2 on what he has said lots of keg every where we used to head in there to redfern lake back in the late 60ties lots of moose and caribou back then.

When you go past the guid camp just past the besa river keep your eyes open on the hills to your left facing south across the big valley we saw lots of stone sheep up there back in them days.

We got most of our moose about 10 miles before you get into redfern lake we hunted the draws just past the two little lakes that are on the left side of the road on the north facing slops lots of caribou in these draws as well back then..

Back then we could not make it in with 4x4 and winches early Sept we waited till early nov when the keg was fozon up most years so we could drive on top of it.

Like moose2 said get all tags for the animals that are open in this region 7-42 you just never know what you might see in there.

Here is a picture of me in the back of the truck back just behind the drivers door 1972 this picture was taken around the end of Oct about 15 miles in off the hiway from 178 be prepaired for all conditions when headed back in there..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/73_bog_mile_178_alaska_hwy1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22590&ppuser=941)

Across the big valley about 10 miles before redfern lake where we saw the stone sheep up on the hill sides.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Scan12.jpg

bridger
03-09-2011, 06:00 AM
better places to go with more game and much less traffic. stone sheep hunting in and around redfern has never been great, much less so now.

leadpillproductions
03-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I was in there last fall was a good trip lots of guys in there and not much success , I believe when we were in there 3 moose shot 2 which we shot there were like total of somethin like 21 hunters in when we were in there . I did call out 9 bulls only 2 legal but had a great trip .

Orangethunder
03-09-2011, 08:26 PM
From what I have heard its like anywhere, busy near the road/trail and not so much the further back you go. Never been there but I have talked to some that have. Probably a getter elk/moose spot than it is a sheep/goat area, most are...

hellojello74
03-10-2011, 01:30 PM
There has been a change in GO in the last few years... they are actually starting to hunt some of the areas. There has also been more wolves in the area especially around Nevis creek, but it depends on how far in you go (Nevis, 10 mile, besa, or right to the lake) All can be found there but with good resident access sometimes better to get off the trail aways with a spike camp. For my family we have mostly hunted moose in the area and have generally had great success until recently (wolves we believe). I think we have been going there for almost 15 years... either way a fun place and beautiful country, well worth the trip.

30-06 man
03-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Hmmm thanks guys. Do you know any other spots for a drive in hunt? But I don't want your secret spots or eny thing like that. Like other parks or somthing?

swampthing
03-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I have been trying to get some info on the racing river. Anyone??

sneg
03-11-2011, 10:41 PM
I was considering Redfen lk area myself.Seems too busy ...It should be good place for someone willing to hike quitea bit from trails.

Orangethunder
03-11-2011, 11:25 PM

Fast, really really fast...

hunter1947
03-12-2011, 03:02 AM
I was considering Redfen lk area myself.Seems too busy ...It should be good place for someone willing to hike quitea bit from trails.

There are many draws headed up from the road to find animals if you are not afraid of doing a little hiking you will find animals this is what we did back in the days when we were in there..

luckynuts
03-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Every area is busy up here in the fall. Personally I like the busier areas as 95% of the guys stick close to base. If you are willing to park the bike and HIKE in you will do just fine. Bring packs and strong backs and you won't be disappointed. Especially if you have hunted the game before. if your new at hunting moose or elk, head to chetwynd for elk and Hudson hope for moose.
pink mountain is a good area for moose though again just as busy.

W.

sneg
03-12-2011, 09:56 PM
which trail has better/more access points for hike: redfern or sikani chief trail ? Is there access to alpine ?

leadpillproductions
03-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Every area is busy up here in the fall. Personally I like the busier areas as 95% of the guys stick close to base. If you are willing to park the bike and HIKE in you will do just fine. Bring packs and strong backs and you won't be disappointed. Especially if you have hunted the game before. if your new at hunting moose or elk, head to chetwynd for elk and Hudson hope for moose.
pink mountain is a good area for moose though again just as busy.

W.
SHHHHHHHHHH no elk here in chetwynd go to hundson hope lol. really no matter where you go get off the trails, you will get in to game this is BC

SHAKER
03-12-2011, 11:51 PM

We'll chat about that on the phone:twisted:. Neat area for sure.

Jerlynn
05-15-2011, 10:12 PM
I was in along that trail late August of 2009. Didn't have much idea for the area but bought all the tags and decided to give it a go. There is an guy named Dan at Nevis creek (partway along the trail) that will rent cabins to people traveling by. We ended up staying a few nights since it was pouring rain on us. He gave us a few hints for sheep hunting and we ended up chasing rams along the ridge. If you are still looking for info on sheep, PM me and I"ll let yah know where we had luck