PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting out past horsefly

leadpillproductions
03-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone has hunted deer out past horsefly in the blackcreek area .

srupp
03-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Yup..every year..:mrgreen:

cheers

Steven

Drillbit
03-08-2011, 11:36 PM
No point......

shallowH2O
03-08-2011, 11:36 PM
its my back yard

hunter1947
03-09-2011, 04:05 AM
I had a friend that lived there he had real good luck hunting deer north of horsefly on up towards gost lake caribou mountain range he shot a mule deer nontipical back in the late 80ties that scored over 200 points..

I have driven from barkerville down to horsefly on the back roads and this country is as good as you can get it there are many moose in this area as well that are on LEH..

bearhunter338-06
03-09-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm planing a bear hunt up in that area for this spring.

tuffteddyb
03-09-2011, 09:01 AM
i would like to do some more exploring out there this year,was really nice last fall.seen a bunch of does and a lil black bear sleeping in a tree.

bforce750
03-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm planing a bear hunt up in that area for this spring.

That place is crawling with bears in the spring and early fall...cheers

srupp
03-09-2011, 10:27 AM
hunter1947 is absolutley correct up over the Cunningham pass rd there are some MONSTER DEER but not many /km so it does take some doing but WOW....

In the fall when the migratuion starts IF you time it right..its over in 3 days you can see 300 deer or so MANY OF THEM WHAT YOU WOULD WAIT A LIFE TIME TO SEE...:mrgreen: going through THE pass at WOLVERINE MTN..

Horsefly area is great for spring bears Ive been hunting there for 30 years for a reason..:wink: great summer fishing in the river..and some BIG bucks come fall..oh ya moose too..has pretty much everything..even seen some beuatiful ladies out there...:mrgreen: hmmm new years eve..they were drinking lots..I wasnt :cry:

cheers
Steven

killer
03-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I went there with a buddy a couple years ago he had a bull draw we saw about thirty cows and calves no bulls loads of chickens,got two decent bucks though always wanted to go back just costs too much to get off this island.

leadpillproductions
03-09-2011, 07:27 PM
I think i will go in sept for early mulies

CanuckShooter
03-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I was wondering if anyone has hunted deer out past horsefly in the blackcreek area .

I was told there are alot of old 'pit homes' in that area..archeological sites...anyone that hunts there ever notice any???

srupp
03-10-2011, 01:04 PM
there are old homesteads..yes..but pit houses..like old aboriginal settlements?? dont think so..the natives historically thought this area voodoo hexed..
didnt go in here.. no reserves close to here...

cheers
Steven

CanuckShooter
03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
there are old homesteads..yes..but pit houses..like old aboriginal settlements?? dont think so..the natives historically thought this area voodoo hexed..
didnt go in here.. no reserves close to here...

cheers
Steven

I was told by an archeologist that there were Metis settlements pitt/houses there from during the time of the 1885 Metis uprisings?? Was just curious if anyone had ever noticed one??

I did see one [what I think was an old pit anyway] near Makin Creek a few years ago [different area I know]....had about a 16" tree growing out of the bottom of it.

srupp
03-11-2011, 11:24 AM
complete differnce..:mrgreen: first nations bnever evre strayed towards the Horsefly lake quesnel lake area..bad spirits...dont expect to ever see any

and on a personal note wouldnt say if I did...start of another land claim fisco..

cheers
Steven:mrgreen:

leadpillproductions
03-11-2011, 12:01 PM
ya but is there big deer up in the blackcreek alpine any pics would be great . Its been years since i was out there hunting

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2011, 12:04 PM
If there was big bucks then there would be now.

Srupp whats the wolf situation like there, sounds like a good place to run bears, always wanted to tree a cinnamon bear.

leadpillproductions
03-11-2011, 12:10 PM
We rana few bears in there but its straight up and straight down threw the thickest stuff it sucked but a ton of bears

srupp
03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Blacktailstalker that area out past Horsefly is REALLY GOOD..:mrgreen: for colored black bears 40 % of the total black bears I see are off colored..

I have posted 2 of these beautiful bears on site here..the Farrah Fawcett bear (for the long blond hair ) and the the awesome chocolate Mothers Day bear of last spring...both awesome bears..

This areaa would be IDEAL for running bears with dogs..lots of logging rds and vantage spots with elevation to work the area..I personally just spot and stock...

cheers
Steven

and deer...HUGE deer bodies and racks...the elevation and the winds keep these bigeer bucks cooler during the summer..

bforce750
03-11-2011, 04:42 PM
If there was big bucks then there would be now.

Srupp whats the wolf situation like there, sounds like a good place to run bears, always wanted to tree a cinnamon bear.

There are lots of bears there. If you want to see twenty bears a day or more go in September they are everywhere

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Appreciated .

srupp
03-11-2011, 05:22 PM
spring is just as good..lol

steven

leadpillproductions
08-11-2013, 01:20 AM
Figured id bump it back up

Weatherby Fan
08-11-2013, 04:45 AM
Figured id bump it back up

Just curious how you've made out in this area, with all advice offered on it and you've had a cpl seasons to work it over.......pictures we need pictures !

srupp
08-11-2013, 06:38 AM
hmmm decent deer #s buck ratio is improving..this is one area that only has a couple of honey holes for big deer..but LOTS of spot and stock opportunities good place to look for deer as it has lots of cutblocks varying in age,,it is my personal go to area for the past 10 years...

leadpillproductions
08-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Havent made it out there yet . but its on the the todo list. Hey srupp have you did much alpine hunting out there.

srupp
08-11-2013, 01:11 PM
some..however the best deer hunting is really in the last layers of cut blocks..they have pockets for bedding and escape, shade..the biggest deer Ive found...the 300 pound bucks..really are not in the alpine near Horsefly..they are in the last vestage of verticle timber and cut blocks and bed on the steep slopes where they catch the wind for cooling and they don't come down till the snow is 30 "...largest concentrations are the migration out of the Cariboo mountains....TIP when they move from Ghost lake area...Cariboo mountains they ALL..REPEAT ALL MUST come through the funnel... and that area is WOLVERINE mountain pass...much lower so accessable..and when they move it is not unreasonable to see a couple hundred deer in a weeks time..and it stands to reason some are HUGE... you will never see these bucks in the treed mountains..however when winter snow migration pushes them.... it can be quite a spectacle of migration.. that's where the locals have the advantage they are there to see the 3 feet of snow that may fall in 48 hours and literally force the remaining deer..spelled BIG BUCKS out of the mountains through the Wolverine lake area... gets cut up like a cattle yard..thers your TIP of the decade for deer east of the pond... lol not many locals will admit to or pass THAT information on....cheers steven

Rackem
08-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Yes, hunted that area a lot, got a moose up by wolverine, several mule bucks, and a couple of bears. Lots and lots of cinnamon bears there, had a friend with hounds the Beeb, who hunted bear and cougars with hounds, and went along a few times...