8 bullets and magazine full
wind checker bottle
S.P.O.T.
GPS
Digital camera
Rangefinder
Binoculars

In my small day pack:

Two heavy duty garbage bags (will work as game bags for pack out)
One large zip-loc bags with water proof or bic Lighter in it(for grouse, organs, etc)
20ft strong light cord
Choice of Jerky, instant oatmeal, instant soup, granola bars
500-1000ml water depending on availablity
Headlamp with all electronics using the same type of batteries so no extras needed
spotting scope
Short lightweight tripod
Compass
TP as marking tape
Olfa Knife w/one extra blade
Electrical tape wrapped around end of barrel
Small first aid kid w/ tenser bandage, butterfly and regular bandaids, gauze, Mole skin, coagulating powder, tylenol, tums, Space Blanket, krazy glue vial, medication
2 feet of duct tape rolled up (emergency fix)
rain poncho or packable rain gear
Tags w/ LEH's and gun registration
2 inch square of rubber inner tube (awesome firestarter even wet)

Optional gear (Check list to see if anything is needed prior to leaving):

Season appropriate Gloves
Season appropriate hat
Lightweight saw
Animal Scents
Game Calls
Snare wire
paperback novel
Sat. Phone
Spare socks
Shooting Stix
Hiking poles
Accessories for walking stick/hiking poles (rubber end caps)
Bear spray
Gaiters
water purification tabs (area pending)
trail cam
Sunglasses
Wet Wipes
Radios (for someone walking you into an animal)
camo face/bug net
Siltarp for overnight emergency, but have garbage bags also for emergency cover
Whiskey
Swiss army knife or multi tool
Camcorder
Dog tracking collars

If you print this out and keep it with you're gear you will never go without. Or save it into the notes section of your cell phone so you can check off the list and go hunting knowing you'll be okay.

Not neccesary if main list is brought

Knife sharpener – you got two olfa blades, easy to sharpen with a break off blade

Matches – bring a waterproof lighter or flint and steel as they are more reliable

spare batts – use all electronics with interchangeable batteries

extra knife – have extra olfa blades, weighs too much

extra headlamp – lights are a luxury, 1 is plenty

Spare Jacket or Hoodie – dress in wool layers before you leave

Bore snake and bore light – shoe lace or paracord will work to remove debris from barrel

Reflector vest – this isnt alberta

flagging tape – use tp as its bio degradable

Game bags cheese cloth – you’ve got two garbage bags
that will work to get your meat to camp

scalpal knife and blades (in case I get something worth mounting) – olfa will work in an emergency

hatchet – why not bring a chainsaw

keys – leave at camp or at truck under a rock

map – GPS and back up compass will get you to a road

can of spam – shoot a rat if you’re that hungry

tea light candles – rubber tubing is lighter and burns long as well

Whistle – something you should learn

A spoon – this isn’t a sit down dinner, drink your soup like a cup

Disposable rubber gloves – man up, its only blood, unless wolf hunting

stove and fuel A blue enamel mug - shouldn’t need for 1 day away from main camp

lens cloth – use your shirt, or just clean before you leave camp

sleeping bag – should have enough clothes to stay dry and warm next to a fire over night

survival kit in a can – your daypack is this

fishing line with 3 or 4 hooks – 20 days before you starve to death

KB90
03-08-2011, 09:54 AM
whats a verdana sans serif? You sure bring a lot of those.

DGuest
03-08-2011, 09:56 AM

I bust out laughing when I read this. omg I needed that!

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Sorry, you cant copy from word apparently, so I had to edit to get rid of that crap.

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Is there anything eles I should add to the lists, or remove, if so please explain?

bearhunter338-06
03-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Thank you. I was having troubles reading that.

Barracuda
03-08-2011, 10:51 AM
you forgot the kitchen sink:mrgreen:

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
you forgot the kitchen sink:mrgreen:

That would go in the not neccesary list. :wink:

Barracuda
03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
dont forget tracking collars .

one other thing i might add is throw a tool kit in your truck as well as some bailing wire. and zap straps .

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 11:10 AM
dont forget tracking collars .

one other thing i might add is throw a tool kit in your truck as well as some bailing wire. and zap straps .

Dog Tracking collars go on when you leave the truck I thought, but I added it anyways to the optional list. The other stuff is for a Full Hunting trip gear list, not just your day pack. I always keep tools in the truck and duct tape and zap straps. However I do have 2ft duct tape in the day pack.

Bow Walker
03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd move the multi-tool up into the "On my person or in my pockets" category. Just my personal opinion.

I didn't notice any mention if TP, for it's intended purpose. But, if you're taking enough along as marking tape - I guess it can do double duty. If it's in its own plastic bag (water proof) the TP will help start your fire, as well as put the fire out (in your nether regions).

All in all it's a pretty comprehensive list and one that would make any emergency a bit easier to handle. Thanks.

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Not neccesary if main list is brought

Knife sharpener – you got two olfa blades, easy to sharpen with a break off blade

Matches – bring a waterproof lighter or flint and steel as they are more reliable

spare batts – use all electronics with interchangeable batteries Spare batteries for a hedlamp/flashlight should be a must! You don't want to use half gone GPS batts. in your headlamp. A couple extra batts are small and weigh nothing. Batteries should be freshly charged, LED lights take next to nothing to power, and worst case half used batteries will get you through, that was my thinking here.

extra knife – have extra olfa blades, weighs too much

extra headlamp – lights are a luxury, 1 is plenty

Spare Jacket or Hoodie – dress in wool layers before you leave

Bore snake and bore light – shoe lace or paracord will work to remove debris from barrel Why would you use a shoe lace? Your just going to drag dirt through your barrel. Use the para cord worst case a shoe lace, plus my barel is covered with the electrical tape anyways. I have never had anything in it since. Remove each night in camp BTW.

Reflector vest – this isnt alberta

flagging tape – use tp as its bio degradable TP will dissapear in the rain, 15' of flagging tape takes up no room and weighs nothing. I have my GPS as my main flagging tape. TP doesnt disapear for a couple of days if hung in trees on branches.

that will work to get your meat to camp Never put a hide or meat in garbage bags. Its meant for the pack out same day/hours for the meat. Keeps your pack clean and blood free as well as doubles as an emergency tarp when cut and duct taped to the second one. 2-3 hours in plastic wont spoil your meat, just make sure to take it out when you're back at camp so it can cool and breath properly. Blood soaked in your pack at night may attract unwanted visitors.

scalpal knife and blades (in case I get something worth mounting) – olfa will work in an emergency

hatchet – why not bring a chainsaw

keys – leave at camp or at truck under a rock

map – GPS and back up compass will get you to a road If your GPS craps out, You will need a map to use a compass properly. If you know you're rough direction from camp or a road or river you should be fine using just a compass in an emergency. This is only a 6 hour hike from camp. I would put a map in my main gear list if gone for a few days as well as make sure to look at it before hunting so you know what direction is what. I don't know anyone who carries a topo map on them for day hunts. Do you actually do it?

can of spam – shoot a rat if you’re that hungry

tea light candles – rubber tubing is lighter and burns long as well

Whistle – something you should learn If lost a whistle will save your voice and can be heard a lot further. Yes you have a few bullets but not an unlimited supply. I can whistle pretty damn loud if you can't then bring one. Something everyone should learn. Also the bullets are a good plan.

A spoon – this isn’t a sit down dinner, drink your soup like a cup

Disposable rubber gloves – man up, its only blood, unless wolf hunting

stove and fuel A blue enamel mug - shouldn’t need for 1 day away from main camp

lens cloth – use your shirt, or just clean before you leave camp Best way to scratch the glass on your $2000 optics is using your shirt. Once again a lens cloth weighs nothing. I bring a lens cloth and lens pen to camp. I clean my binos and scope/spotting scope each night. They should all have covers attached, worst case I use a clean part of my shirt. There is more dirt, dust, twigs in my day pack or pockets that my lens cloth would pick up. Rather than using my under shirt or underwear.

sleeping bag – should have enough clothes to stay dry and warm next to a fire over night

survival kit in a can – your daypack is this

fishing line with 3 or 4 hooks – 20 days before you starve to death Fishing line and a hook are great for closing large cuts. It has saved a lot of people from getting dirt in wounds and help stop getting an infection. krazy glue is better for closing large cuts, that is why I included it. You also have duct tape.

TPB
03-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Kind of out the blue but why would a guy like seeing shit paper draped from trees rather than flagging tape? IMHO flagging tape is more natural than TP which really doesn't decompose for a long time.... Good list though makes it easy when people have a list you can follow.

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 12:14 PM
IMHO flagging tape is more natural than TP which really doesn't decompose for a long time....

Flagging tape is more natural to you? :confused:.

TP, doubles as toilet paper though. A few TP sheets in the rain will be gone 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times faster than flagging tape will ever dissapear. Heck, your great grandkids kids will see your flagging tape. If everyone left 1 piece of flagging tape in the bush, it would be an awful mess.

TPB
03-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Flagging tape is more natural to you? :confused:.

TP, doubles as toilet paper though. A few TP sheets in the rain will be gone 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times faster than flagging tape will ever dissapear. Heck, your great grandkids kids will see your flagging tape. If everyone left 1 piece of flagging tape in the bush, it would be an awful mess.
You walk into the bush and do you see TP draped from trees? I betcha you dont and if you did i sure as hell wouldn't be stepping around there. Flagging tape though, you see that why? Because its been used for quite some time to mark things, a lot more natural to see flagging tape than TP in my opinion. Sure it doubles as ass wipe but you still need to pack extra to cover both purposes so would that not cancel out the weight thing? Either way i don't usually use flagging tape much so im not to concerned about it but ive stumbled upon a pile of toilet paper before and trust me if it were a pile of flagging tape i would pick it up.

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Sorry dude. I'll keep my yap shut from now on.

Easy there man, I was just commenting on your comments. You stated your POV and I stated my rebutle with reasons. I am always looking for ways to lighten all our loads, while at the same time trying to keep safe out there. Please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if something I say doesn't mash up well. I appriciate your posts. :-D

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't usually use flagging tape much so im not to concerned about it.

I agree. I have only used flagging tape one time. Its more important for bow hunters following a weak blood trail. But if you don't have flagging tape, your TP will work in a pinch. I wouldn't try and leave either one scattered all over the place. But I wouldnt carry flagging tape in my day pack either. Both will definitley work, just that I always have toilet paper with me.

snareman1234
03-08-2011, 01:06 PM
wind checker bottle

Lighter works pretty well too?

spare batts – use all electronics with interchangeable batteries Spare batteries for a hedlamp/flashlight should be a must! You don't want to use half gone GPS batts. in your headlamp. A couple extra batts are small and weigh nothing. Batteries should be freshly charged, LED lights take next to nothing to power, and worst case half used batteries will get you through, that was my thinking here.

Agreed, as long as you have a backup plan, like half full batts, I wouldnt worry about it, ive had the same bats in my lamp since last year lol. use it tons.

fishing line with 3 or 4 hooks – 20 days before you starve to death Fishing line and a hook are great for closing large cuts. It has saved a lot of people from getting dirt in wounds and help stop getting an infection. krazy glue is better for closing large cuts, that is why I included it. You also have duct tape.

I'd be Glueing, Butterflying or duct taping before I was sewing with a fish hook, depends how bad it is and how deep you are too tho I guess.

that will work to get your meat to camp Never put a hide or meat in garbage bags. Its meant for the pack out same day/hours for the meat. Keeps your pack clean and blood free as well as doubles as an emergency tarp when cut and duct taped to the second one. 2-3 hours in plastic wont spoil your meat, just make sure to take it out when you're back at camp so it can cool and breath properly. Blood soaked in your pack at night may attract unwanted visitors.

I always use garbage bags, packed out 3 animals this season in garbage bags, three last season. Good for a few hours for sure, just take it out right after,

Also let it cool a bit before putting it in.

Snare Wire

Had this in my pack before I was a trapper, read the survival books, and thought it would be awesome. After trapping, and then trying to catch a squirrel in my yard for months, and failing. I got rid of it from my pack ( probably be handy in the pack for other uses tho) But if people really think they are going to successfully snare stuff with this, its a tough go. Took me a month to catch the squirrel, and in the mean time caught 80 beaver in that time with real traps ha

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Lighter works pretty well too as a windchecker? It rains too much where I hunt. Maybe a waterproof one would work? If you start carrying the little bottle of scent free baby powder in your pocket, you'll be surprised its almost used every day.

Had this in my pack before I was a trapper, read the survival books, and thought it would be awesome. After trapping, and then trying to catch a squirrel in my yard for months, and failing. I got rid of it from my pack ( probably be handy in the pack for other uses tho) But if people really think they are going to successfully snare stuff with this, its a tough go. Took me a month to catch the squirrel, and in the mean time caught 80 beaver in that time with real traps ha

I thought the same thing. I have a gun and could shoot a squirel if I saw one, though I would shoot anything eles in a true life and death survival situation. Wire would be useful for other things, but I think duct tape and cord would do most anything the wire would.

troutseeker
03-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Too much stuff in for a day pack, your only going out for a day for crying out loud! Lol. In case of emergency you should be rescued or walk out within a couple more days... Maybe for an expedition?

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Too much stuff in for a day pack

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I tried to cut it down to a bare minimum list. I can't think of one thing on the list that I would be willing to leave at the truck other than maybe a couple band aids and tensor bandage, spotting scope possibly too if in super heavy cover.

So, of that list, what does not go into your pack or on your person?

Surprisingly light the way it is, I don't think its too much to carry around for a day. When I say day hike, this would cover 6 hours from camp and 6 hours back, somewhere that you could easily get stuck overnight. Not somewhere that you can have an ambulence in 20 minutes.

All that stuff lives in that pack, for most hunts, I just grab it and go, saving time having to "pack up"

bc cooker
03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
How about some steel wool and a bit of nookie wood- both good fire starters.....in the pouring rain!!! Great list BB

troutseeker
03-08-2011, 03:44 PM
This is all I carry: TP, a few shells (5 0r 6), a book of matches, 1.5 liter water in steel bottle, some deer jerky, a little rope, headlamp, small camera, small first aid kit, rain jacket, compass and Spot. If it's really cold out I may throw in a fleece sweater for when I stop and cool down.

On my person I'll have a sharp knife, a lighter, hunting licence, GPS. Rifle and bino's I carry, of course.

I bring a steel bottle so I can always boil water in it if I need to (like if someone is having a baby, or I want to drink from a suspect water source...)

I've gone a long ways with only this, and have spent a few night in the bush with nothing more than that gear. slept ok bundled up or by a fire if really cold.

The Dude
03-08-2011, 03:49 PM

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e367/gatsby6306/111smileychubbyhilarious.gif I have a Tahoma Knife sharpener and a Times New Roman Backpack.
Absolutely invaluable in a life-or-death situation.

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
This is all I carry: TP, a few shells (5 0r 6), a book of matches, etc....

Thanks for your suggestions, I will make some things optional

So you don't bring:

1. wind checker bottle (not 100% neccessary, but I use it all day long)

2. Rangefinder (I have missed my biggest buck to date by estimating wrong in the heat of the moment, never leaves my pocket now, shot several animals over 300 yards this year at steep angles, however people have hunted for a long time without, but if you got one, use it)

3. Two heavy duty garbage bags (I don't like putting raw meat in my pack, bloody packs bring in bears)

4. spotting scope (will save you tons of hiking in most areas, count points on moose, deer, and caribou and curl from far away, I use it as much as my binos when sitting and glassing, probably spotted more animals with it than my binos)

5. Short lightweight tripod

6. Electrical tape wrapped around end of barrel (I always just have a couple extra wraps, one twig/snow down the barrel and bye, bye eyes and hands)

7. 2 feet of duct tape rolled up (do anything with, weighs grams, takes no space, repair pack, sling, use on building shelter, stop bleeding, build a wallet if bored)

8. 2 inch square of rubber inner tube (awesome firestarter even wet) (weighs less than a gram, will start fire like a mofo)

Range finder, spotting scope and tripod are the only real difference between our day packs weight/space wise. I consider those neccessary for a good days hiking/hunting. Some close up hunts, like black tails in thick bush, they wouldnt be a neccesity.

Everything eles is less than 1/4 a pound total and very valuable, consider adding them to your pack, they could save your life or worse!

Lightweight saw (probably not neccesary, used for making tree and ground blinds, cutting off horns, and legs, should be on optional list, I'll move it)

Season appropriate Gloves (should be moved to the optional list)

Season appropriate hat (should be moved to the optional list)

How about some steel wool and a bit of nookie wood- both good fire starters.....in the pouring rain!!! Great list BB

steel wool would rust when my pack inevitably got wet, nookie wood weighs too much, rubber iner tube beats both of these IMHO. as a perfect fire starter, very hard to put out.

troutseeker
03-08-2011, 07:51 PM
1. wind checker bottle?

Nope, I wet a finger, watch the leaves and grasses, smoke from my cigar, flame from my lighter.

2. Rangefinder?

I am pretty good at estimating distances to 400 meters and use a fairly flat shooting rifle. For a mountain sheep hunt I would probably use one 'cause I would kick myself if I missed, otherwise not really.

3. Two heavy duty garbage bags -

I think I have a game bag in there, weights nothing. I don't like putting meat in plastic (that goes for in bed too...). I can wash my pack if it get's messy (hehehe) , it only adds character anyways!

4. spotting scope -

Only for alpine hunts for sheep or goats, if I'm hiking for deer and moose I'll use bino's and hike closer if required. My bino's are Leupold Gold Ring 10X32's, I see pretty well with them. Was able to determine I had a good billy to hike to from 5 kilometers (got him too!).

5. Short lightweight tripod - See above

6. Electrical tape wrapped around end of barrel -

nope, never did it. Only good to keep dirt out anyways, in wet weather condensation will get inside you barrel. I use a stainless/synthetic rifle.

7. 2 feet of duct tape rolled up - I do have maybe 10 or 12 inches wrapped around my first aid kit, good for blisters, repairs and as a fire starter in wet weather.

8. 2 inch square of rubber inner tube (awesome firestarter even wet) -

Not needed, you already have duct tape. Plus I can always find some dry tinder, make a fuzzy stick to start a fire or use the duct tape from my first aid kit.

Everything else is less than 1/4 a pound total and very valuable, consider adding them to your pack, they could save your life or worse!

--- Thanks, but I don't think so, I believe I have plenty to survive and anyways, my life is not that valuable...:mrgreen: I've lived in the bush for a few days with only what I list. Not comfy, but plenty enough to be ok if you know what you're doing.

Lightweight saw (probably not neccesary, used for making tree and ground blinds, cutting off horns, and legs, should be on optional list, I'll move it).

--- A good knife will do most of this. I wont cut horns in the field, but for legs just use your knife and smack the sharp edge against the leg bone and break it off, works everytime. My knife is nothing special, just a 3 inch fixed bladed Swamp Rat Hairy Carry LE, tough as nails, sharp and keeps an edge a long time. I did a whole moose with it and then a couple of deers before touching it up. I don't suscribe to the Rambo sized blades way of thinking, extra weight and not really practical for anything but choping...

snareman1234
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
At the end of the day, all those things in BB's list may weight what, 10lbs extra. Thats significant, but for a day hike, with a good pack thats going to have the 10lbs of stuff you really need, the extra 10 means nothing in weight or bulk.

Plus, its good excerize to have a little extra weight, and if you get in a bind you got some good extra gear....., or see a good buck you want to lay the spotter on, then stalk him and range him, kill, and pack out, keeping your pack clean, im happy

TPB
03-08-2011, 08:23 PM
At the end of the day, all those things in BB's list may weight what, 10lbs extra. Thats significant, but for a day hike, with a good pack thats going to have the 10lbs of stuff you really need, the extra 10 means nothing in weight or bulk.

Plus, its good excerize to have a little extra weight, and if you get in a bind you got some good extra gear....., or see a good buck you want to lay the spotter on, then stalk him and range him, kill, and pack out, keeping your pack clean, im happy

I agree my rifle almost weighs as much as the extra stuff so i don't see why its such a big deal, i thinks a well thought out, complete list.

BromBones
03-08-2011, 08:25 PM
After trapping, and then trying to catch a squirrel in my yard for months, and failing. I got rid of it from my pack ( probably be handy in the pack for other uses tho) But if people really think they are going to successfully snare stuff with this, its a tough go. Took me a month to catch the squirrel, and in the mean time caught 80 beaver in that time with real traps ha

:-D

A month to catch that squirrel? Easiest critter in the woods to catch. I don't think I've ever come back from my squirrel sets without a packsack stuffed full of 'em.

I'd imagine they taste like a pine cone but I guess if you needed some quick protein it'd work in a pinch.:)

TyTy
03-08-2011, 08:31 PM
TP = bush money :) flagging tape is just butt floss and will last about 5-10 years at most, add the odd blaze to a tree to keep your trail. fresh blazes stand out, so do many broken tree branches.

I use a fanny pack,

binos
lighter,
some string,
some rope,
4 -6 extra rounds,
folding saw,
flash light and head lamp,
flagging tape, license,
folding and fixed blade knife.
500ml water,
a granola bar.
electrical tape (this stuff will fix anything or just make life convenient)
sometimes a camera,
sometimes a sil poncho
wool toque, wool gloves

kbb
03-08-2011, 08:32 PM
shet tickets?

CanuckShooter
03-08-2011, 08:37 PM
TP = bush money :) flagging tape is just butt floss and will last about 5-10 years at most, add the odd blaze to a tree to keep your trail. fresh blazes stand out, so do many broken tree branches.

I use a fanny pack,

lighter,
some string,
some rope,
4 -6 extra rounds,
folding saw,
flash light and head lamp,
flagging tape, license,
folding and fixed blade knife.
500ml water,
a granola bar.
electrical tape (this stuff will fix anything or just make life convenient)
sometimes a camera,
sometimes a sil poncho
wool toque, wool gloves

You forgot the condoms bucko!! If your forced to make a long walk with little or no fresh water available...that 500ml won't last long....:-D

snareman1234
03-08-2011, 08:48 PM
:-D

A month to catch that squirrel? Easiest critter in the woods to catch. I don't think I've ever come back from my squirrel sets without a packsack stuffed full of 'em.

I'd imagine they taste like a pine cone but I guess if you needed some quick protein it'd work in a pinch.:)

I watched him out the window jump over it like twice, so I set them all the way along, tried baited ones, it was hopeless.

He owned me, im not afraid to admit it

BromBones
03-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I watched him out the window jump over it like twice, so I set them all the way along, tried baited ones, it was hopeless.

He owned me, im not afraid to admit it

Sounds like that ol' squirrel is too smart for his own good.

Shoulda shot the little prick.:-D

mark
03-08-2011, 10:56 PM
While I like to be prepeared.....one of my hunting buddies walked out of camp this year with only his gun, bullets, and a bugle, and shot the biggest elk of his life about a mile from camp!

He had nothing else on him, not a phone, knife, nothing! Was a great day, but I still give him shit for not having a knife that day!

Squamch
03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
I think this:
"stove and fuel A blue enamel mug - shouldn’t need for 1 day away from main camp"
Came from one of my gear lists...I'll justify why I bring a beer can stove and fuel with me...the cup is new this year, we were cookin soup in the can until someone told us we were cookin the inner coating off the can...
So we park the truck at 545am, gear up, and head in...after 6 or 7 hours in the rain, there's a couple spots we've found where we can always find dry ground...we go there, set up the beer can stove with a piece of bark as a windbreak, a couple rocks for a grill, make a hot lunch, wring out wet gear, spend some time not inside rain gear....the minimal weight of the stove and fuel is worth it for me if I can have a hot lunch. Plus we can boil wars for coffee, etc.