PDA

View Full Version : skinning bears

srupp
03-07-2011, 10:36 AM
I hav ehad a few(6) e-mails from folks that have shot bears and have had problems skinning out the hide for a rug..:confused:

First there are plenty of videos..spend some time sipping coffee and watching...a few times..:tongue:

A couple of hints..the biggest problem lies in the back legs..to get them even and correctly "splayed"

What I recomend is when the bear is on his back...(ensure said bear is dead before doing this measuring..lol:wink:)

lay your hand palm up with your little finger LAYING OVER the rectum.. now where your "pointing finger" lays (4 finger width) make a small "nick" with your knife...

You should now have a small nick in the underside of the bear 4 finger WIDTHS ABOVE the anus..( no no Dave I said a small NICK in the bears underside not a small DICK):tongue:

Now that gives you the perfect spot to aim for from each rear pad..

stretch the one leg out and from the CENTER of the pad cut directly a straight line for that "nick"....repeat for the opposite side... that will ensure even and straight cuts that ensure proper angle and alignment for the display rug..

and gives maximum length for the body..

And makes for a VERY HAPPY taxidermist...

cheers
Steven

Wild Images
03-07-2011, 12:42 PM
A little trick to get straight cuts, use a utility knife and pickup a package of hooked blades. When you lay out the bear it is way easier to make the cut in one motion towards yourself thanit is to push away and have to keep moving along

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Very good explaination Steve. I hope you know another Dave.

This is another explaination on how to do it.

Start your first cut 3 inches below and in the centre of the lower jaw. Cut all the way down the belly button, right to the tip of the tail.

Your next 4 cuts are leg cuts. Always start from the middle of the large pad and cut toward the center cut you already made.

Front legs: Start in the center of the large pad and begin down the forearm slowly coming to the inside. Your cut should be insdie the point of the elbow. Once past the elbow, pull the leg straight and continue your cut along the high ridge, taking the shortest and easiest route to the middle cut. Hit the middle cut at 90 degrees. Make sure your other front leg cut meets at the same point on the sternum.

Hind Legs: Again, start in the center of the rear pad, and as you proceed down the leg, start slowly coming inside so that when you hit the middle cut you are 4 inches in front of the tail.

Leave as little meat and fat on the hide as possible. Salt only works 1/4 of and inch deep. Any deeper and your hair may slip. So you can score X's with a knife where you need more salt penetration.

Spread out the hide to cool. Out of the sun or the rain. Imediatley salt heavily with fine salt. Once cooled srupp taught me to put it in a burlap sack for breathability.

If you leave the paws and head in, freeze imediatley.

Taught to me from the master himself.

TPB
03-07-2011, 01:38 PM
You should now have a small nick in the underside of the bear 4 finger WIDTHS ABOVE the anus..( no no Dave I said a small NICK in the bears underside not a small DICK):tongue:

Thats a whole new meaning to proof of sex....

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
A little trick to get straight cuts, use a utility knife and pickup a package of hooked blades. When you lay out the bear it is way easier to make the cut in one motion towards yourself thanit is to push away and have to keep moving along

I would like to see what these hooked blades look like. I was going to pick up a swing blade from outdoor edge but maybe this is better.

warnniklz
03-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I would like to see what these hooked blades look like. I was going to pick up a swing blade from outdoor edge but maybe this is better.

http://www.wyomingknife.com/knives.htm

I believe this is it (the original)

Wild Images
03-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Here you go, cheap, easy, and at all Canadian Tire or building supply stores
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Knife001.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Knife002.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Knife003.jpg

Springer
03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Very good explaination Steve. I hope you know another Dave.

This is another explaination on how to do it.

Start your first cut 3 inches below and in the centre of the lower jaw. Cut all the way down the belly button, right to the tip of the tail.

Your next 4 cuts are leg cuts. Always start from the middle of the large pad and cut toward the center cut you already made.

Front legs: Start in the center of the large pad and begin down the forearm slowly coming to the inside. Your cut should be insdie the point of the elbow. Once past the elbow, pull the leg straight and continue your cut along the high ridge, taking the shortest and easiest route to the middle cut. Hit the middle cut at 90 degrees. Make sure your other front leg cut meets at the same point on the sternum.

Hind Legs: Again, start in the center of the rear pad, and as you proceed down the leg, start slowly coming inside so that when you hit the middle cut you are 4 inches in front of the tail.

Leave as little meat and fat on the hide as possible. Salt only works 1/4 of and inch deep. Any deeper and your hair may slip. So you can score X's with a knife where you need more salt penetration.

Spread out the hide to cool. Out of the sun or the rain. Imediatley salt heavily with fine salt. Once cooled srupp taught me to put it in a burlap sack for breathability.

If you leave the paws and head in, freeze imediatley.

Taught to me from the master himself.

So what kind of Burlap sacks ?? Like the Big Empty coffee bean style burlap sacks ? Where could a guy get hold of some ??
Thanks for your explanation of skinning as well..

srupp
03-07-2011, 04:42 PM
hmmmm when you get to the 10,000 club at Timmies you get one free..:mrgreen:

steven

warnniklz
03-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I think garden shops sell burlap sacks

srupp
03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
My buddy from Alberta, his brother owns a coffee shop and I get 30 at a time.... :mrgreen:

steven

Squamch
03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Those fancy blades you guys are talkin about are roofing blades, just to make the searching easier.

#1fishslayer
03-07-2011, 05:57 PM
http://www.inberg.ca/do_it_yourself/black_bear_field_care_guide.htm

This link seems to ease the pain of not knowing.

swampthing
03-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Great tip on the 4 finger width above the butt. I will be skinnin a fresh grizz in early june.

nano
03-07-2011, 06:27 PM
http://www.black-bear-hunting.com.self-edit.com/files/Bear_field_sample.pdf

Found this link, hope it helps.

Springer
03-07-2011, 07:53 PM
hmmmm when you get to the 10,000 club at Timmies you get one free..:mrgreen:

steven

i will probably get to that 10,000 before i win anything on rooooollllll up the rim ! Never won anything last year either.. Saving my luck up for the hunt-of-a lifetime draw.

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 07:59 AM
So what kind of Burlap sacks ?? Like the Big Empty coffee bean style burlap sacks ? Where could a guy get hold of some ??
Thanks for your explanation of skinning as well..

Coffee shops or craigslist, Pay no more than $5 a bag

Flingin' Sticks
03-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Feed/tack stores usually have burlap bags. I think I was paying two bucks a bag a couple of years ago

srupp
03-08-2011, 09:43 AM
nice thing on burlap coffe sacks are they are clean, new, great condition and allow PLENTY OF AIR to circulate and allow moisture pulled out by salt to drain away...worst thing is to roll in plastic tarp or plastic bag...spoils pretty quick..

I always bring LOTS of salt and once skinned..and lips split .nose and eyes and ears taken care of..I roll it flesh side in for the nite..and tie it high from a tree if possible.

I wait till its got a good wind and in the shade I shake the wet salt off and resalt..do this a couple of times and if in a cool shade with wind leave it open skin side up to aid drying...in all the years and many bears never lost one...

The coffee burlap sack was just a suggestion I found helpful..as is the 4 fingers trick.
Steven

srupp
03-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I always tied the bag up off the ground..so everything was exposed to the air..and all fluid could drain away nothing in contact with the ground..

Game bags were hard pressed to do this w/o ripping..its not a rule its a suggestion..lol

Steven

houndogger
03-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Which kind of salt do you prefer Steven?

Barracuda
03-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Here you go, cheap, easy, and at all Canadian Tire or building supply stores
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Knife001.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Knife002.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Knife003.jpg

I have been telling people to use them for years ,cheap and they work great, its like your unzipping the animals fur coat:)

Bistchen
03-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Will cheese cloth work when hanging?

What is the best way to fold the hide before placing in bag?

Will 10 lbs salt be suffice for lets say a 300 lb blackie?

thanks

srupp
03-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Yes cheese clothe will work..on a black bear...imo

I would prefer 20 #s for even a black bear..and If staying more than 24 hrs..shake that old wet salt off and resalt with ANOTHER fresh 20 #s for a black bear..

I salt and then fold legs in fold a bit of each side in to make a "lip" to help keep salt in..and roll from back end forwards to head..

If opportunity to expose the flesh /salted side to a dry wind in the shade..cool I would avail myself of that also..

Biggest trick is to take your time and ensuer all thick portions of fat and meat are off...and it is properly skinned lips nose ears etc..and that the salt is rubbed into every crease and fold and nook and crevice,

If left on the ground that portion touching the ground can hold moisture and prevent liquid from escaping and keep air from circulating around that location..

@ Beaver Valley feeds non iodized fine salt in a 44# bag is like $4 cheap

on Tims 9'1/2 foot squared grizzly we changed out salt 44#s 4 times prior to getting home but we were delayed 2 days..
srr

steven