PDA

View Full Version : trail cams and cougar tracks

rides bike to work
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Hello bc this is my first post on this site but I have enjoyed all the great info and stories shared on here.I live in chilliwack bc one of the best places on earth, hunting and world class fishing in my back yard.

So I bought my first trail cam a moultrie game spy.I tried it out in the back yard by the bird feeder and got some nice pics so decided to bring it up the mountain to one of my favorite black tail areas.I was able to get fairly close to the location I was thinking of before the snow got thick and slushy and decided to hike the rest of the way in.

Along the road there were lots of deer tracks some bigger some small and no one had been through the area on quads so things looked good .I headed down a trail that I like to frequent in season and have had luck on this past year.I got about two km in and more tracks started to show then a new kind of tracks.The coincidence was I had just read jelveses hunt like a cougar thread this morning and he mentioned 5 toes on front and 4 on back so with this new info i new i was looking at cougar tracks fairly fresh looking and all a sudden I didnt feel guite so alone.I was in some seriously thick bush and my head started spinning around on a swivel.I decided this was good as any were to set up my cam I moved off the main trail and strapped it to a tree facing a little opening that had plenty of deer tracks in it and marched my ass out of there.

my question is has anyone had trouble with people stealing game cams I know chances are slim but I kind of left a trail in the snow right to my cam.any tips for cams would be appreciated .also anyone got a hound and wants to tree a cat let me know.

killman
03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I guess you haven't been on here that long. Kiss that baby good bye!

killman
03-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Just kidding. Although there has been quite a few stolen camera threads, I would think most thieves are to lazy to hike km. I built a security case for mine but mainly to protect it from bears. If someone really wants it, it will be gone.

Will
03-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Dam Sasquatches..........:lol:

OutWest
03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I have the Reconyx R60 in 1080p and there's no way I want it to go missing. In my early season spot I bolt it to a tree and lock it in a bear box. We don't usually see guys in our spot but unless they've packed a chainsaw in 8kms or so theres no way it's coming off that tree. Even on my friends private property I throw the lock on it. They're far too expensive to be replacing consistently. If you take the necessary precautions you should be just fine.

Heavy Metal
03-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Yah I hunt the chwk river valley heavily in the fall and also have trail cams up there aswell, I feel pretty good about them throughout the entire fall being safe. People would have to hike pretty far to find them and it would be by chance i guess. The only piece of advice that I have for you is this if it snows and you go check your camera remove it after. People could see ur tracks and follow you to your camera. Thats the only way I think you could get busted. Neways Hopefully you capture some pics and maybe one of that cat.

hunter1947
03-07-2011, 03:11 AM
If it where me putting out the trail cam I would not have my tracks showing in the snow to your trail cam someone might follow your tracks and remove your trail cam ,I have lost two so far I left no tracks in the snow to my trail cam when I had two stolen from me..

rides bike to work
03-13-2011, 10:36 AM
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i417/ridesbiketowork/th_gamecam018.jpgafter leaving my trail cam in my first location i brought it home to see no one had visited not even abird or squirlel so went up to find new location.I had a place in mind a little more open and had seen some large tracks in the area so I hike in found a nice spot and set up.O my way back I came across a uprooted tree and in the hollow there was a skeleton.It was mostly complete so I took the scull then in another hole not ten feet away there was more bones with these claws I figure same animal . then some more bones from asmaller animal like the rib cage of a 30 pnd dog. why so many bones in one area no hair do cougars bring there killes to a one area to eat.I know Im gonna sound stupid but this is abear skull right.also is there a way to read my sd card in the feild it doesnt work when put in my camera.
(http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i417/ridesbiketowork/?action=view&current=gamecam018.jpg)

BlacktailStalker
03-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Had 2 stolen now, in places they'd never get stolen. :mad:
Cats watch you all the time, you'd never know it, just do your thing and they'll do theirs.

steepNdeep
03-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Rides'... Welcome out of the closet! ;)

I had my cam out during hunting season in the snow. Many guys drove the road... just be creative where you leave the trail and how you get to the spot to discourage being followed. No one came to my spot(s) all season.

I bought my first cam this spring... it's an addicting way to scout!..
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1039/5184291965_a9c85f3bd6_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4916982992_14e794368f_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4897553117_aec5cc3d84_z.jpg

dave_fras
03-13-2011, 02:30 PM
i found out the hard way when it comes to checking my cam right after a fresh snow fall!.... i went in the day after i checked it.. sure enough someone had followed my tracks 2 ks right to my cam!... now i bolt the prick on!