PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you shoot a coyote and it has mange?

sky-gunner
03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
So you shoot a coyote, you discover it has mange. Regs say you have to bring home the pelt. But you have pets at home? Can you leave it? I know most if not all areas have NBL, infering that there are too many around and are affecting the prey population. So is it then acceptable to leave it, or will a CO take your toys away?

killman
03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Really?

Say 10 hail marys and give on sunday. You will be fine.:wink:

troutseeker
03-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Mange being catchable by humans, I would seriously discourage you from skinning it! I'm sure if a CO catches you in the act he would understand. If not, ask him to skin it for you and see what he says...:twisted:

Plincker
03-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Mange isn't passable to humans. If you wanted to keep the hide, you could try freezing it for a while. Freezing should kill the little buggars.

Lucky77_
03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
fido..........................f it drive on

fowlweather
03-06-2011, 08:19 PM
burn it, i am sorry but i would have killed to put it out of its misery, it cant be healthy or happy if it has mange

knighthunter
03-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Throw some scrub on it and light it on fire. Been there-Done that.

NoLimit99
03-06-2011, 08:38 PM
So you shoot a coyote, you discover it has mange. Regs say you have to bring home the pelt. But you have pets at home? Can you leave it? I know most if not all areas have NBL, infering that there are too many around and are affecting the prey population. So is it then acceptable to leave it, or will a CO take your toys away?

I want to let you know the rules, regs say you DONT have to bring home the pelt. Here's the regs to be exact.

definition of Furbearing Animal - means a fox, beaver,

black bear, marten, fisher, lynx, bobcat, mink,
muskrat, river otter, raccoon, striped and
spotted skunk, northern flying squirrel, red and
Douglas’ squirrel, ermine, weasel, wolverine,
wolf or coyote.

now here's the rule and answer to your question.

to kill wildlife (with the exception of grizzly
bear, cougar or a fur bearing animal other
than a black bear) and fail to remove from
the carcass the edible portions of the four
quarters and loins to the person’s normal
dwelling place or to a meat cutter or the
owner or operator of a cold storage plant.
A person who kills wildlife is exempted
from the requirement to remove the
edible portions if that person transfers
possession of the wildlife to a recipient
who complies with the requirement.
Edible portions do not include meat that
has been damaged and made inedible
by the method of taking. Of grizzly bear,
cougar or a furbearing animal other than
a black bear, the hide must be removed
to the person’s normal dwelling place or
to a meat cutter, the owner or operator
of a cold storage plant or to a taxidermist,
tanner or a fur trader. A person who kills
wildlife is exempted from the requirement
to remove the hide if that person
transfers possession of the wildlife to
another person who complies with the
requirement.

Hope this clears up your understanding of the regs on fur bearing animals. Cheers.

ARC
03-06-2011, 08:49 PM
I want to let you know the rules, regs say you DONT have to bring home the pelt. Here's the regs to be exact.

What does this part mean then?

"Of grizzly bear, cougar or a furbearing animal other than

tanner or a fur trader."

Regardless, I can't see a CO dinging a guy for leaving a mangy yote in the bush.

Bugsy
03-06-2011, 08:53 PM
As far as I understand coyotes can have both Demodectic mange and Sarcoptic mange, with the later being very contagious to both humans and other animals.Don't think its too easy for the layman to tell the difference. Best not to take a chance and play it safe, I can't see anyone giving you grief over a mange infested yote not coming home with you.Just my two cents:wink:.

sky-gunner
03-06-2011, 09:04 PM
What does this part mean then?

"Of grizzly bear, cougar or a furbearing animal other than

tanner or a fur trader."

Regardless, I can't see a CO dinging a guy for leaving a mangy yote in the bush....but you never know.

Thats the part that i was wondering about. I would not eat a coyote, so meat cutter/owner op is out of the question, i dont know anyone who would want a mange hide, so that eliminates taxidermist, tanner or fur trader. Unless i am wrong about that, that would only leave my dwelling, or am i missing something? Im really new to this so thats a definite possibility. But thats why i asked you guys:mrgreen:. I have no issue with leaving it. Just wanna make sure its acceptable to do so.

NoLimit99
03-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Thats the part that i was wondering about. I would not eat a coyote, so meat cutter/owner op is out of the question, i dont know anyone who would want a mange hide, so that eliminates taxidermist, tanner or fur trader. Unless i am wrong about that, that would only leave my dwelling, or am i missing something? Im really new to this so thats a definite possibility. But thats why i asked you guys:mrgreen:. I have no issue with leaving it. Just wanna make sure its acceptable to do so.

It mean besides those listed that includes the fur bearing animal (coyote), you have to bring home the edible portions/carcus and dispose of it at your dwelling place or meat cutters instead of leaving it out in the bush for other carnivores to consume.

The only exception to that rule is if you hand over rights to that animal to another person then it is that persons responsability to do what is requested by the wildlife act and regs.

Will
03-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Just use a bigger gun........:rolleyes:

muledeercrazy
03-06-2011, 09:19 PM
It mean besides those listed that includes the fur bearing animal (coyote), you have to bring home the edible portions/carcus and dispose of it at your dwelling place or meat cutters instead of leaving it out in the bush for other carnivores to consume.

The only exception to that rule is if you hand over rights to that animal to another person then it is that persons responsability to do what is requested by the wildlife act and regs.

quit while you are ahead? if you dont know the regs, its not a good idea to give people advice on them. Personally i think the co's would understand.

take a picture and report it? they would probably like to know.

l

NoLimit99
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
quit while you are ahead? if you dont know the regs, its not a good idea to give people advice on them. Personally i think the co's would understand.

take a picture and report it? they would probably like to know.

l

Not sure were you are going with your comment. But as far as the regs and the wildlife act I for sure stand by what i've stated to be the truth. If you are not sure of them and feel my comments are not true then for sure ask some one who you feel is trust worthy or can clear up what you belive to be a misrepresentation of the regs and wildlife act. I would not try to answer some thing to which I didn't know the truthful answer to.

Cheers hope you find what you are after.

emerson
03-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Many otherwise smart actions will get a person in trouble if they speak at length on the internet about them. Sure, take a mange infested coyote home, show it to your kids, let your animals play with it..... or leave it and be quiet. It sounds like the law requires you to take it home, if you are in fact able to recover the animal, instead of losing it in thick brush etc.

NoLimit99
03-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Many otherwise smart actions will get a person in trouble if they speak at length on the internet about them. Sure, take a mange infested coyote home, show it to your kids, let your animals play with it..... or leave it and be quiet. It sounds like the law requires you to take it home, if you are in fact able to recover the animal, instead of losing it in thick brush etc.

now you see you say it sounds like the law but it isn't the law so why are people trying to confuse this person. The statement I made is clear and is what and how it's stated in the regs and wildlife act, there is no guess no confusion just simple fact. If you are unsure please dont guess know the facts. Thats why there are a lot of poachers out there becuase they think they know the rules and regs but dont and end out poaching and checking and realize they have done wrong and leave the carcus to rot. By how the responders are responding we can weed out the ones who have been there done that. What a shame.

sky-gunner
03-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, the help is always appreciated.

Drillbit
03-06-2011, 09:56 PM
If you shot a coyote and discovered upon closer examination that it had mange there are 2 choices.
1. the ethical hbc solution is to report what you have done to the CO and happily take the consequences
2. handle it very carefully so as to not transfer mange to yourself and get it out of plain view from others. Mange can be transfered to humans (I have personally seen it).

I know what I would do, and I know the difference between poaching and being an ethically correct hero on the interweb.

What would you do with a grouse that was full of worms? No different.

NoLimit99
03-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, the help is always appreciated.

cheers, happy hunting.

FYI about this site though be careful on what you post there are alot of jokers and tards on here who love to pick apart and put down every thing so be aware of what you post and say.. as you've seen already.

NoLimit99
03-06-2011, 10:13 PM
If you shot a coyote and discovered upon closer examination that it had mange there are 2 choices.
1. the ethical hbc solution is to report what you have done to the CO and happily take the consequences
2. handle it very carefully so as to not transfer mange to yourself and get it out of plain view from others. Mange can be transfered to humans (I have personally seen it).

I know what I would do, and I know the difference between poaching and being an ethically correct hero on the interweb.

What would you do with a grouse that was full of worms? No different.

By the way those are your choices to which you are entitled to make whether right or wrong that's your choice. Keep in mind though they are your choices not what is required by the wildlife act rules and regs.

That's funny you say in #1 what an ethical HBC solution would be. This site has nothing to do with what the wildlife act of the regs state to do by law and I wouldn't even say that, im not sure why admins like marc or others even allow users to promote such rubbish and allow others to use them in statements such as that. Thats bad for the site to allow nonsense like that. And tell me what consequences? seeing your so smart.

03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
I would put it in Buddies sleeping Bag, laugh like hell then run..

CT

pnbrock
03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
i shure as hell wouldnt want to be the guy who introduced mange to the nighbourhood,would definately leave it.having said this ive never shot one of those disgusting dogs.

Drillbit
03-07-2011, 12:13 AM
hahaha NL99, ruffled you up big-time on that one. I guess you've made the choice before and since you don't know the consequences.... Notice I didn't say which choice I would choose, you just assumed something of me.
I have reported a miss-identified immature moose my partner shot. Looked good till we walked right up to it. As an ethically correct hbc'er would do, we phoned the Co right away and dealt with the meat accordingly. CO did his job and was appreciative of the care we gave the meat. Anyways, been there, done that, didn't leave it rot.
Re-read my post and it looks pretty sarcastic, but you still have to make choices.

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 12:20 AM
I want to let you know the rules, regs say you DONT have to bring home the pelt. Here's where I will show you how to put my foot in my mouth.

Of a furbearing animal (coyote) other than
to the person’s normal dwelling place

No limit 99. You wrote even wrote it out! You are wrong in your thinking. The fur of a fur bearing animal must be taken from the animal. Now say your sorry and move along.

Btw what does your foot taste like?

Tenacious Billy
03-07-2011, 12:59 AM
All this discussion over a stinky ole' coyote?........sheesh!

hunter1947
03-07-2011, 02:59 AM
This is a simple question ,report the killing to to CO they will look after it or tell you what to do,,

NoLimit99
03-07-2011, 06:13 AM
No limit 99. You wrote even wrote it out! You are wrong in your thinking. The fur of a fur bearing animal must be taken from the animal. Now say your sorry and move along.

Btw what does your foot taste like?

lol wow i'll leave the correction alone... no no I wont, im not sure if you understand it was a quote from another numb nuts not what I said.

And it's not how I think it's whats writen in the...aww never mind how do you teach a dumb dog any thing.

Ok you think what you want to think and keep on bringing yotes home to ma and pa.

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Please answer this question, as I still think you're misleading this gentleman. Can you leave a coyote skin in the bush? Or do you have to take the coyote skin?

Please pick either:

A. it's okay to Leave it
B. you must Take it.

your first answer was

regs say you DONT have to bring home the pelt.

elkdom
03-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Saskatchewan had the right idea!, PROVIDE proof you killed a Coyote!(4 detached Yoty paws) they give you $20 cash,,,,, which In my opinion now-days is 20X more than any Coyote is really worth,,,

shoot them with a fast enough and heavy enough SP or HP bullet that all there is left is a Red Vapor Patch in the snow,,,,

they are a pain in the A$$ VARMINT !,and should be designated as such by the B.C. MOE !,

muledeercrazy
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM

definition of Furbearing Animal - means a fox, beaver,

black bear, marten, fisher, lynx, bobcat, mink,
muskrat, river otter, raccoon, striped and
spotted skunk, northern flying squirrel, red and
Douglas’ squirrel, ermine, weasel, wolverine,
wolf or coyote.

now here's the rule and answer to your question.

to kill wildlife (with the exception of grizzly
bear, cougar or a fur bearing animal other
than a black bear) and fail to remove from
the carcass the edible portions of the four
quarters and loins to the person’s normal
dwelling place or to a meat cutter or the
owner or operator of a cold storage plant.
A person who kills wildlife is exempted
from the requirement to remove the
edible portions if that person transfers
possession of the wildlife to a recipient
who complies with the requirement.
Edible portions do not include meat that
has been damaged and made inedible
by the method of taking. Of grizzly bear,
cougar or a furbearing animal other than
tanner or a fur trader. A person who kills
wildlife is exempted from the requirement
to remove the hide if that person
transfers possession of the wildlife to
another person who complies with the
requirement.

Hope this clears up your understanding of the regs on fur bearing animals. Cheers.

lol, this is what i was talking about. Hope it clears things up,

Cheers!

lol again.

muledeercrazy
03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
cheers, happy hunting.

FYI about this site though be careful on what you post there are alot of jokers and tards on here who love to pick apart and put down every thing so be aware of what you post and say.. as you've seen already.

guys like to make sure the info that is posted is correct. If you post something wrong while in a hurry to try to give advice, be ready to get slammed. It happens to all of us. FYI, this time that is you.

cheers!

troutseeker
03-07-2011, 03:59 PM
It could be argued that mangy coyotes do not bear fur. Especially the really bad cases, they are more like them ugly hairless cats...

Pete
03-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Of all the coyotes that I have taken this season over half have had mange in various stages. In some instances the backs may be reasonable to skin however pink bellied Coyotes have no fur value.

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 08:07 AM
...aww never mind how do you teach a dumb dog any thing.

Ok you think what you want to think and keep on bringing yotes home to ma and pa.

Dumb dog here, still waiting for a responce.....

I'm not sure why admins like marc or others even allow users to promote such rubbish as its okay to leave a coyote hide in the field.

Camp Cook
03-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I wear big boots...

Gateholio
03-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Wow, from newb to legal expert in just a couple of years....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=352130#post352130
:tongue:

Kody94
03-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Wow, from newb to legal expert in just a couple of years....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=352130#post352130
:tongue:

Its what the internet does. Every forum has a bunch. Noob to KIA in under a gigabyte. :wink:

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Its what the internet does. Every forum has a bunch. Noob to KIA in under a gigabyte. :wink:

Reminds me of another 'kid' on here.

gibblewabble
03-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Simple leave it there are way too many of the flippin things in BC these days anyways and its not like they are worth much these days anyways. You can hear the yotes yapping at our house most nights over the tv sometimes and alot of my neighbors have lost pets to the pests. I have had to kick one of my female dog before on OK landing, pests you should be able to shoot them and leave em anyways.

Now lets get some popcorn and an adult pop and watch the show"